2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway MAVRIK Sub Zero weights question..

SJL1216

Hello WRX, hope everyone is doing well and possibly getting out to enjoy some golf finally. I have a sub zero MAVRIK I am hitting with factory weights, I was curious if i changed the front weight to a heavier one will that bring my ball flight and spin down any? I read somewhere that the weights are a 2 gram and a 14 gram from Callaway.. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Sam

Ping G430 LST 9 (@8.0*) - Ventus TR Black 7X

Taylormade Stealth 15* - Ventus TR Black 8X

Taylormade Stealth 18* - Ventus TR Black 8X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50* - KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55*- KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60*- KBS $-Taper 130X

EvnRoll ER11v Midlock 

I have an Epic Flash SZ and I took out the sliding weight and replaced the front weight with the 14g weight from a Rogue SZ. Spin has really dropped since I did that and ballflight has come down as well. I can say doing that really makes a difference.

Epic Flash SZ 9 degree AD IZ 6s
Adams Dhy 18 and 21 Matrix White Tie
Apex Pro 19 5-AW Steelfiber i110s
Mack Daddy 4 54 Steelfiber i110s
High Toe 60 and 64 Modus 120s
Spider X Blue

The Mav setup is very similar to the Rogue SZ, two weights to flip front and back. There's a 400-600rpm difference between the settings in spin when I've tested. However, what needs to be remembered is that high strikes, particularly high toe, create a low spin environment on their own. If your miss is high in the face having stock spin too low can be a recipe for BIG offline shots from the high toe. If that's your miss be warned! Don't drop stock (middle strike) spin too low. I speak from personal experience here!

I moved to the Epic Flazh SZ and have found in the stock setting - 2gm forward 14 back - I was getting 2100-2300 from good strikes which left a little room for the bad miss. A shot with 1800 spin with 700 side spin is much preferable to one with 1400 and 700 side spin, which is where I found the Rogue SZ would drop to with weights forward and a high toe strike. These duck hook shots are round killers.

Incidentally, I got 2x 9gm weights from EBAY which brought the CG to the middle. For the Rogue that was a perfect setup

• Like 1

I did a lot of testing with different weight on my Rogue sub zero head. The Epic flash head set up is different with the slider, and changing slider weight lighter/heavier seemed to really throw everything out of whack. With the Rogue sz putting heavier weight in front and lighter weight in back, brought launch and spin down too much. Leaving 14 gm weight in back with and heavier weight front (6,8,10 grams) only brought launch down slightly with 8 and 10 gram, spin stayed fairly consistent. 14 gram back and 8 grams in front ended up being my most consistent set up. Hope that helps you.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

Short answer is yes, adding weight up front will lower spin and have the additional nice side effect of a nicer more solid feel to the head. Trust me, I own the Mav SZ and have a full weight kit.

378f9615-b963-4173-838c-061cfe9fba89.jpeg

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

very nice kit! did you get that one from ebay?

Ping G430 LST 9 (@8.0*) - Ventus TR Black 7X

Taylormade Stealth 15* - Ventus TR Black 8X

Taylormade Stealth 18* - Ventus TR Black 8X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50* - KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55*- KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60*- KBS $-Taper 130X

EvnRoll ER11v Midlock 

Yes, off the bay. NOTE: it came from China and took damn near 5 weeks to get to me on the East coast. Just so you are aware. This was also peak Covid, so that maaay have slowed it down a touch.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

• 3 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 9:36 AM, DNice26 said:

Short answer is yes, adding weight up front will lower spin and have the additional nice side effect of a nicer more solid feel to the head. Trust me, I own the Mav SZ and have a full weight kit.

378f9615-b963-4173-838c-061cfe9fba89.jpeg

have you tried two light weights? I have 2 2g weights in at the moment and I think it works, did you try this? 

9 hours ago, Fordy6666 said:

have you tried two light weights? I have 2 2g weights in at the moment and I think it works, did you try this? 

Nope, that makes the head FAR too light weight for me.  You would prob wanna be playing a VERY long driver length for that to be the way to go.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Petter Player said:

Where did you get the weight set?

Ebay.  It comes from China.  Takes about 3-4 weeks to reach the east coast. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Desh said:

Anyone play this with 16g front and no weight in the back?

I would recommend not doing this, you're better off with 14/2 if you want to keep 16g in the head.  The reason is that the driver will sound like an aluminum baseball bat when you strike it with an open hole in it.  I know because I have the same aftermarket weight kit (pic above) and I had one of them come loose, then snap off when I tried to tighten it out on the course.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, Tupperwolf said:

I would recommend not doing this, you're better off with 14/2 if you want to keep 16g in the head.  The reason is that the driver will sound like an aluminum baseball bat when you strike it with an open hole in it.  I know because I have the same aftermarket weight kit (pic above) and I had one of them come loose, then snap off when I tried to tighten it out on the course.

I wonder if no weight in the back is louder than no weight in the front.  I'm tempted to try during my round tomorrow because SW is currently a little on the high side ~D6.  I would like more D4/5 area, but the aluminum bat sound isn't what I'm looking for either haha

6 hours ago, fastswinger said:

I wonder if no weight in the back is louder than no weight in the front.  I'm tempted to try during my round tomorrow because SW is currently a little on the high side ~D6.  I would like more D4/5 area, but the aluminum bat sound isn't what I'm looking for either haha

Weight added or removed in different placements can potentially have a big effect on the sound.  So how much the hole might be contributing is not as clear as it may seem.  It's really an easy test to see if a small screw (instead of a whole weight) might help with the sound issue.

And if you want to keep the head conforming to the rules of golf, you have to find a way to plug up the hole regardless of the sound issue.

6 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

And if you want to keep the head conforming to the rules of golf, you have to find a way to plug up the hole regardless of the sound issue.

Thanks for this - I didn't realize.  I know you can't make adjustments to clubs during a round, but if I started a round without a weight leaving an open hole in the driver, that constitutes a non-conforming driver?  Never would have known

1 minute ago, fastswinger said:

Thanks for this - I didn't realize.  I know you can't make adjustments to clubs during a round, but if I started a round without a weight leaving an open hole in the driver, that constitutes a non-conforming driver?  Never would have known

Yes. It's the presence of a hole that goes into the hollow center - not anything to do with a weight or not - that is the issue.   Just find a matching screw at the local hardware store to plug it up and you'll be fine.   Might even be able to find a nylon screw that fits to keep the weight down.

• Thanks 1

I am hitting the Mavrik Subzero. I have a 5 gram up front and the 14 gram in the back. It did not affect launch or spin that much but it did help with forgiveness and made the driver feel much more solid.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

22 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Yes. It's the presence of a hole that goes into the hollow center - not anything to do with a weight or not - that is the issue.   Just find a matching screw at the local hardware store to plug it up and you'll be fine.   Might even be able to find a nylon screw that fits to keep the weight down.

Found something at the home depot; license plate plastic bolts.  Am going to give this a try.  Thanks again 20220422_103837.jpg.62b554b448e00f80f8fb61359fd53d09.jpg

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
6 hours ago, Pops180 said:

Hello fellow hackers

can anyone tell me what weight  the screw in weights are in the +3 Mavrik (fairway wood 13.5)  and the Mavrik 4wood (16.5) ?

All the same; Same as all the other models as the head weights progress as shafts lengths increase or decrease.

It was 14g + 2g i think?

Edited by third-times-a-charm

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 4 months later...

I have a mavrik max driver. If I wanted to trim the shaft by 3/4" to make it play at 45" is it possible to add a heavier weight to the club to keep the sw the same ? And if so how heavy of a weight would I need ? I believe stock weights are 14g and 2g.

Thanks

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

7 hours ago, CDLgolf said:

I have a mavrik max driver. If I wanted to trim the shaft by 3/4" to make it play at 45" is it possible to add a heavier weight to the club to keep the sw the same ? And if so how heavy of a weight would I need ? I believe stock weights are 14g and 2g.

Thanks

You really don't want to just try and keep the swing weight the same - that doesn't work out very well most of the time.  And there is no useful formula to figure out how much you need to add (if any).   If you want to figure out how much weight to add in a way that will give you the best results, you need to go to the range with some lead tape to figure that out.   Then you'll know how big a weight you'll need to replace the lead tape.

Edited by Stuart_G

9 hours ago, CDLgolf said:

Thanks

You'll need to add 9g to keep the same swing weight.  Replacement weight screw and/or lead tape will work.  The screws are available in a variety of weights.  The heaviest individual weight screw I've seen is 18g.  Hotmelt inside the head is also an option but you'll want to be sure you like the driver at 45" at a given swing weight before adding weight inside the head as it's no fun trying to remove it.

1 hour ago, RobS said:

You'll need to add 9g to keep the same swing weight. 

You can't just use the 2 gm per sw pt in the rules if you want accurate answers.   It's really only 7.2 gm at 45."   Another reason why  those "rules" should not be used in this context.

Edited by Stuart_G

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

You can't just use the 2 gm per sw pt in the rules if you want accurate answers.   It's really only 7.2 gm at 45"

2g is general, not universal.  1.6g at 45", while also a good general value, is not universal either.  An exact answer depends on where you are adding weight on the head and the weight distribution of the shaft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RobS said:

2g is general, not universal.  1.6g at 45", while also a good general value, is not universal either.  An exact answer depends on where you are adding weight on the head and the weight distribution of the shaft.

I know.  Which is all just more validation to my point of the uselessness of the swing weight rules and throwing out any value to questions like that.

Edited by Stuart_G

1 hour ago, CDLgolf said:

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for an easy change. I'll look for a fitter close that could help me out.

You don't need a fitter.  It is something that's very easy to do yourself - although it does take a little bit of time.  All you need is some lead tape, some foot powder spray, and a bucket of balls at the range.

Just follow the directions here (and trust your own sense of feel):

Edited by Stuart_G

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

You don't need a fitter.  It is something that's very easy to do yourself - although it does take a little bit of time.  All you need is some lead tape, some foot powder spray, and a bucket of balls at the range.

Just follow the directions here (and trust your own sense of feel):

OK great, thanks. 

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter