2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

best child club lines

Mr. 31

Besides the USA Kids line of clubs, what are the best clubs for kids? Ping, Callaway, and Cobra seem to provide decent lines? All opinions and advice is appreciated.

Callaway Epic Flash Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 
Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75
Callaway Heavenwood 20* - RCH 75w
Callaway 2017 Epic 4-PW, AW Project X LZ 95 Steel (PTIP)
Titleist Vokey SM6 Chrome 54.08M 
Titleist Vokey SM6 Chrome 60.08M
Scotty Cameron 2014 GoLo 7, Odyssey Toulon Garage Austin , Odyssey TriForce 2

This has multiple answers, it seems, and has been a topic of discussion on this forum.

For beginners: USKids Ultralight and Flynn Velocity lines of clubs are quality products and are easy to hit. These clubs are sold as packages or as individual clubs. The Ping Prodi G line is prohibitively expensive for a young beginner, but for a child perhaps 9 or older it could be a good investment due to their Get Golf Growing promotion where you can swap out for longer and stiffer shafts free of charge if you purchase five or more clubs. Callaway, Cobra and Taylormade are generally thought to make inferior beginner sets to USK UL, Flynn Velocity and the Ping Prodi G lines. Of note, Flynn will not be sold at big box stores--it is mostly an online operation, but it is also the best option for customizing clubs for a child.

For Intermediate/advanced junior golfers: USKids TourSeries, Flynn Alto and Ping Prodi G are the clubs one will typically find in the bags of kids playing at a USKids Regional Tournament/Worlds. A caveat--Cobra makes excellent lightweight drivers for juniors (F9 series is the current model) and you'll find these in the bags of many competitive juniors who aren't quite big enough to swing ladies/senior/mens clubs yet. Drivers are probably a sub-category all their own, though, and there are many paths to customization...many major brands' driver heads can be put on ultrilight shafts to create potent junior drivers.

My personal adventure into the world of junior clubs is almost a year-old, and it started with a mixed, used set of Cobra Jr and Ping Pal I picked up at Play-it-Again Sports. These clubs got my kids started swinging, even though they were too big and heavy. I later bought a used Ping Moxie set, which ended up being a little short for my junior, and later moved to mostly USKG Ultralight and Flynn Velocity (and Flynn Advantage, a discontinued line). Woods and hybrids, moved through a bunch as well. The most important part is that the clubs are the right length and aren't too heavy, IMO.

Awesome info. Very much appreciated.

Callaway Epic Flash Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 
Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75
Callaway Heavenwood 20* - RCH 75w
Callaway 2017 Epic 4-PW, AW Project X LZ 95 Steel (PTIP)
Titleist Vokey SM6 Chrome 54.08M 
Titleist Vokey SM6 Chrome 60.08M
Scotty Cameron 2014 GoLo 7, Odyssey Toulon Garage Austin , Odyssey TriForce 2

US Kids Golf makes heads up to 30% lighter in their UL series. The lightest series in Flynn doesn’t even come close to being that light. The lightest Flynn’s heads are a few grams lighter than TS3-51’s (15% lighter), so they’re about 17% lighter than adult’s give or take. Trust me, I have a full set (irons and wedges) of UL-48, TS3-51, and Flynn Alto S1’s. The OP mentioned children so I just wanna make sure to include clubs for the younger ones (3-6 years old). At 7 years old and older, you’d be correct that Flynn has “different head weights to fit whatever level...”.

• Like 1

Are there weight differences between Flynn Advantage, Flynn Velocity and Flynn Alto series irons and wedges?

It seems like a better rule of thumb to go by height/weight rather than pure age. My son was about 50”/ 62 lbs and 6.5 y.o. when I bought him a clearanced Flynn Advantage 7i and 51*, along with a 60* V2—all series 1 heads with steel shafts.

Just before turning 7 he grew 2.5” and I had to buy him a longer, clearanced Flynn Advantage 7i and 51*, series 2 head...and he inherited his sister’s v2 56 and 60* with series 2 head/lightweight shaft.

In between, I snagged a cheap, older gen TS 57-39 6i and 8i and they were far too heavy for him. That said, he could get around with the UL 60” 6/8/P his sister used with some choking up.

Overall, if you measure your child and give them a UL set a size up from what they measure at, seems like that is a quality first set at a reasonable price they can use for a bit.

Yes, I think using height/weight is better than age. My personal take on the bare minimum for TS3/Flynn would be 48” and 50lbs with swing speed above 55mph. To be honest I don’t think the results will be any better than using the UL series when you push it close like that. The only thing that MIGHT make a difference would be a lightweight OEM driver (gain a couple yards and tighter dispersion).

Basically, just follow the US Kids guide line with the UL series up until your child reaches 48” and 50lbs. Then choose the right time to “upgrade” to Flynn or TS3 as long as your child is an intermediate golfer. Continue with those hybrids/irons/wedges and start playing around with OEM driver/woods. I don’t know anything about when kids can/should move on to ladies clubs. Someone else will have to chime in on that part.

One thing I’ve learned throughout the junior golf process is lighter isn’t always better. I remember my daughter taking a lesson from her coach and he told me he loved the weight on her Flynn irons. He went on to say that he felt some of the US Kids clubs were too light. The analogy he gave me was trying to knock down bowling pins with a 6lb ball. Yes you throw it faster than the 10lb ball, but there is no mass behind it to do anything. Obviously at very young ages, you can’t go too heavy. Just be careful about always going with the lightest option.

• Like 1

Off-board discussions that I have had with others on these clubs is that they look very nice, specs seem great, and adjustable weights seem great also. Primary complaint is price. Secondary concern is will the irons be durable and last long enough to grow with them. As an example, when my kid moved from TS-51 to TS3-54, those TS-51's were pretty beat up and really only ready for a beginner to whack around some. I'd also note that I saw at least two IG accounts that I know that were stating how good the clubs were, yet that is not the clubs in their bag.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

uskg-ts-specs.jpg

This is the USKG 2014 TS Specs....I'm sure the new TS3 specs are very, very, very similar. A quick glance at comparing the iGen's specs for a 54" tall junior to the USKG 54" specs shows them within 1/2" to 1" of each other.

Note: I don't see anything on the weight of the clubs for IGen?

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

We've hit a demo 7i for the iGen and it was a nice club for sure. A tiny bit heavier than the Flynn Alto S2 club we are currently playing. I can't justify the price on them, even thought they might last an extra season. There's something to be said about the enthusiasm in the game my kid has when he has new equipment, versus old equipment that's just reshafted.

I don’t know anything about the IGEN so I can’t give you any Feedback. My daughter started off in the Flynn clubs at 9 and loved them. When she got to 11 I moved her into adult irons and she had an adjustment period and then was fine. She is now on her second set of adult irons. I ordered the clubs with women’s shafts and cut them down to US Kids specs for her height. They had recoil shafts so the weight was fine. I think the only possible thing i could have done differently was maybe look into the Ping Prodigy series when I bought her first set of adult irons. They seem to be built really well and the price wasn’t too bad. I went with the adult irons because I got a good price bring that Im a high school golf coach and we get deals through some of the major companies. Had it not been for that, I would have gone with the Prodigy clubs.

The issue with iGen is price (and are they USGA approved yet??) I can't really see them holding up over time enough to spend that kinda of money. You can get OEM cheaper than those clubs. Love the idea behind them with the weight good recoil shafts, nice custom options easy to bend lie angels, perhaps they are the best of both worlds. Haven't demoed those but the price sure will scare you away. Other odd thing is the PW is 48 but the GW is 50. Not sure I understand that logic or thinking.

For those asking about the weight, the weight is close to the USKG 60 Specs or Flynn series 3 head. A bit heavier than normal for vs USKG golf if you are under 60. But about 10-15 grams or so lighter than the lightest OEM head. So Gives you adult technology with kids weighting. IRONS | Igengolf

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but my son is in need of a new set. He is 9 but a real bomber, quick pace and transition. He full length adult clubs very well and can carry a 7 iron around 120 yds. His current youth set shafts are just way too flexible. He is picky about looks as he plays with all the adults at the club and doesnt want to be a kid.

He finally liked the alto irons (looked like wilson v6) but alas, they have been discontinued and flynn golf said the new ones come in 3 months, and they look nothing like before. Which leads me to believe they may be more ugly? 

I am considering bridgestone j15df and reshafting them in flynn ust shafts. The 6 Iron weighs in at 253 grams per maltby. Not sure if this is to heavy or not. Hope you guys can shed some light. 

Thanks

On 8/30/2021 at 9:45 AM, scboost said:

I know this is an old post but my son is in need of a new set. He is 9 but a real bomber, quick pace and transition. He full length adult clubs very well and can carry a 7 iron around 120 yds. His current youth set shafts are just way too flexible. He is picky about looks as he plays with all the adults at the club and doesnt want to be a kid.

He finally liked the alto irons (looked like wilson v6) but alas, they have been discontinued and flynn golf said the new ones come in 3 months, and they look nothing like before. Which leads me to believe they may be more ugly? 

I am considering bridgestone j15df and reshafting them in flynn ust shafts. The 6 Iron weighs in at 253 grams per maltby. Not sure if this is to heavy or not. Hope you guys can shed some light. 

Thanks

We tried them all for my now 12 y.o. son, ended up going the indirect route and bought a used Ping Prodi G iron set (6-GW) from a reseller at a fraction of the cost. Build quality is night and day better than the kids-only lines. Ping puts their same high level of care into the sizing/fitting chart for the junior clubs as well — we lucked into the longest/stiffest setup available as my son was just short of being ready for adult clubs this year. He’s about 5’-2”, 100 lbs. Handing down to his younger sister as he transitions out. I can’t recommend these enough.

Doing a quick Google search it looks like the Prodi G 7i head is 232g. I’m sure your son could get used to a heavier club but my gut says adult heads are too much of a stretch even for a high performing 9 y.o.

He uses adult woods/fairways/hybrids with either Flynn or SR/R shafts, but in our experience kids aren’t ready for adult irons until the size/age he’s about to be entering now.

Edited by ukdh99