2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sand Valley Trip Review - May 29th

BG5

Sand Valley Trip Review

A childhood friend and I woke up bright and early and drove 6 hours to Sand Valley for an all day golf extravaganza. We arrived at Sand Valley and were stunned at the entire setting and the first thing I sill say is that their customer service is the best I have ever seen. Everyone was smiling and extremely helpful so kudos to the staff at Sand Valley as it was truly 5 star. I was also shocked at the low costs of food, beer, etc. Beers were $2 and the chicken tacos on craigs porch were $1.50 :) If you sat down for a burger or meal you are probably looking at $12 but the food and drinks on the course were very cheap. Unreal and it was great to see they dont nickel and dime you. So what I am trying to point out is once you get there things are really cheap.

I have been lucky enough to play Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Streamsong, Arcadia Bluffs, Oakland Hills South, Forest Dunes, and pretty much everything Michigan has to offer and Sand Valley is by far the best of all of them. Those other courses were fantastic but Sand Valley is just on another level in my opinion so make sure you get up there if you can. The setting is outstanding and the topography was like nothing I had every seen. There is alot of elevation change but it was still very easy to walk. We play all 3 courses in the same day and chose not to get caddies for financial reasons and we did it pretty easily. Now...dont get me wrong we were tired but my point is I am not in great shape and it was not that big of a deal. The push carts they provide are outstanding so dont think you cant walk it. I dont normally walk and I thought it was going to be a lot harder

We decided that we were going to play all 3 courses in the same day and since we did the par 3 Sand Box was free of charge. We started our day off on the 17 hole par 3 Sandbox and it was an excellent choice because it gave us time to get used to the fast and firm conditions along with the greens. We finished it in about a hour but it was a great way to start off the day. Most holes play around 100 or less with a few that were in the 140's but it was great. Each hole has a spot you can either swing away with a club but they also have a second set of tees to use your putter. As many know a putter on all 3 courses may be the best play at times even if you 70 yards out so it was great to practice. The Sand Box was tough with very small landing zones but a riot and you should def play it if you can.

The 2nd Round of the Day was on Mammouth Dunes and I will say that this is the best course I have every played. It has massive fairways and huge greens and even a hacker can have a great time on a course like this. The course goes inside and outside a massive sand dune ridge and the topography was stunning. There are alot of places to funnel the ball around the greens and I would encourage anyone who plays it to use the ridges to funnel the ball. The course was in great shape and the greens were pretty quick. The course played really fast and firm and drives rolled out another 30 yards and I often found myself clubing down at least 1 club in attempt to bounce my ball up there. Little knockdown shots are key and dont be afraid to putt from 70 yards out......putters can be very helpful. Great course and the best one I have played in my life :)

Our final round of the day was on Sand Valley and it was a bit tougher but you can still score well. I thought it was a bit of a tougher walk but maybe I was just tired at that point. Sand Valleys par 3's were outstadning and better than Mammouth in my opinion. The back of sand valley was really fantastic and I really like the finishing stretch. I loved every minute of my trip and at then end of the round we jumped back in a car and drove 6 hours home to keep the wives happy.

I will be back again this summer as this place is just to good not to head up to at least a few times a summer.

Sand Valley is the Best Golf Resort I have ever been to....check it out

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Mammoth Dunes is probably the most fun golf course I have ever played. I played both courses last week for the first time and had similar feelings. I completely echo your sentiments on the overall resort. The courses are great, the food is good, the service is great, the pro shop was one of the best I have ever been to and the list goes on. I could play only Mammoth Dunes the rest of my life ?. When they add the 4th course I think it fully takes over as the best destination in Wisconsin, if not already - I'd take a trip there over Kohler right now. I still think Whistling Straits may be the top course but I'd put Mammoth and SV as 2nd and 3rd and fully expect the new course to be 4th followed by the rest of the the Kohler courses.

I'm playing SV tomorrow. Love the place and I agree, particularly on a bang for the buck basis, SV offers the best destination golf in the state. Kohler has nothing to be embarrassed about, and it is building a heritage label with the PGA/Ryder Cup histories unfolding. But pound for pound, quality golf, warm hospitality and relaxed atmosphere SV is my favorite. Erin Hills is a horse of another color.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I'm ashamed to admit I live in the state and haven't played. It has quickly jumped to number 1 on my bucket list in the state

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Nice review!

Looking to play Sand Valley week after next. Will plan to play 36 on a Monday as of now. I noticed you mentioned you were also able to play Sandbox ‘free of charge’. Was this a current promo, or just due to replay discounts?

I am looking at the rates for June and it looks like SV and Mammoth are $225 with sandbox $65. Replay rates are 50% off.

I was expecting to pay $225+$225x50% for 36 holes. Given it’s a Monday and should be pretty open, should I try to play 36+sandbox, or just mammoth and SV. Is it $65 on top for sandbox then? I plan to walk/push cart.

As long as you book 36 holes then anything else is free. We played the par 3 first and did not pay a dime. I will tell you that 54 holes walking was a heck of a day :)

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

That’s pretty awesome! I will have to at least play a few holes on the sandbox. Maybe a good opportunity to have a cold one at the end of the day.

What’s the best order in which to play the courses? I’m thinking SV, Mammoth, Sandbox, in that order...which would be opposite of OPs routing. Leaving sandbox to the end in the event that I tire out. I also was going to push cart it for 36 but maybe I’ll reconsider getting a caddy for at least 18 to save some energy. I’m thrifty, so hard to justify a caddy for me when I regularly walk anyways, plus the caddy services seem a bit inferior to the usual services given COVID modifications (no club cleaning, ball cleaning, pulling of clubs).

Mammoth Dunes is the more fun course. It is easier and you are almost always in the hole. It could be a good way to get things in control before playing the more difficult SV. Mammoth was an easier walk as well. I think SV is actually easier to carry rather than push, but had no issues anywhere with Mammoth and pushing. I went Mammoth then SV. My suggestion would be if you want to start with a little bit of an easier round go with MD but if you want to end on a bang and potentially a bunch of birdies then play SV first. They are both great and you can't go wrong either way.

@RDH010 I recommend the order you have set up for now. SV is known as the more "difficult" course (I don't believe this to be true) so its probably best to have all of your energy for that. The final stretch of Mammoth 13-18 are some of the most fun golf holes I have ever played. Saving the Sandbox is probably best, coming up 18 on Mammoth you will hear the hooting, hollering, and laughing from the SB and it will be the perfect cap to a long day lol

Walk with a push cart. There're a few blind shots, but nothing too crazy, if you don't want to splurge for a caddy it's not necessary. I've done 36 + The Sand Box in a day and you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about the SV Mammoth order, both are awesome. Playing The Sand Box before is a great warm up, or playing last is a fun way to end the day.

I loved playing the sand box first as it gave us time to warm up and get a feel for the firmness of greens for putting and approach shots. It only took us a hour to play and a great way to get warmed up in my opinion.

I would play Mammouth first over SV because its far superior and why not play the best first while you are fresh. It also has huge fairways and greens so its a nice way to get a feel for how the courses play as most of the time you club down a club or two because of roll.

Bottom line no matter what order you play you will have a riot....Mammouth Dunes is simply spectacular

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

agree with others, save the sandbox for last. Great relaxing way to cap off the day and you can keep replaying it I believe. You want to relax on the sandbox, not sure you can do that with two rounds of golf still ahead of you that same day. We had a blast on the sandbox taking our time and finding different spots to tee off from and also setting different rules for different holes such as putter only.

We actually saw one group on the sandbox playing a hole with their drivers only. It was pretty cool to watch.

93 degrees at Sand Valley this afternoon. Wind kept it from being oppressive but I wilted on the back 9. Went out in 40 and came in at 46 on what I think is generally the easier of the two nines. My wedge game is not tailored for SV or any of the Kaiser properties. I think it could be, but I don't play or practice chipping on something that firm and tight enough to have true touch.

Wouldn't trade the day though!

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I can empathize with your round...when I was up at SV for a Mammoth/SV 36, I ended up shooting 8 shots worse on the back of SV (our second 18). My swing was completely lost until my second shot on the par 5 18th, and it was an ugly scene. But still a spectacular day overall, and I still haven't played the Sandbox so I have reason enough to get back this summer! It was my first time out since the spring of the opening season for the resort when I obviously played only the original SV course, and Mammoth was such a blast. Not sure I could even pick between the two if you forced me to, but I'm looking forward to being in less waste areas on the back nine next time I play SV...

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

I left a putter head cover on the ground somewhere on the front 9 at SV. I am willing to chalk it up to the feebleness of aging. My wife believes it was an intentional ploy requiring a drive back to retrieve it and another round as long as I am there. I really couldn't pick a favorite between Mammoth and SV. Both courses have holes that I think are different from what I normally see and that I enjoy. Neither course has a hole that makes me stand on the tee thinking, "This is a stupid design. I could skip this hole and not care."

The next addition to the SV portfolio is a Tom Doak, par 68 course. Construction was halted during the economic meltdown and COVID uncertainty, but scheduled to resume.

Phred

Saw that information about the Doak course, and listened to him on the Fried Egg podcast talking about the design. Sounds like a lot of fun, and something that is different from the norm in what is likely a good way. He described it as a "precision course" which would require many more irons off tees, smaller landing areas, etc. For anyone that's interested, the podcast is definitely a good listen. And i certainly have enjoyed the other courses of his that I have played, even if I wouldn't consider myself a Doak aficionado as some would (Pacific Dunes is spectacular, but it's probably my fourth favorite course at Bandon!).

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

As VNutz said above, not a loop course, but a lower par course, 67 or 68 or so, and just over 6,000 yards. (Sedge Valley)

Construction halted for this year and possibly for the next.

Some photos of a few photos that had been cleared over on golf club atlas

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

When I was up there you could see some dirt that had been moved but everyone says its on hold. Everyone agrees it will eventually get done but as others mentioned it probably will be another 2-5 years

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Played SV-Mammoth today (36). Would have loved to play Sandbox, but the rain came in around 2pm and I was lucky to get 36 in. Teed it at about 7:00 and finished before 10am on SV. Played with one other player who had a caddy. Even if you wish to save a buck, it’s critical for good players/longer hitters to have a caddy so you can get sight lines for tee shots as well as approach shots. I was a single for mammoth and elected to take a caddy. This proved to be the right call IMO as we were able to make very good time on a mostly empty course.A few things that stuck out that I wish I would have known or considered:

-In mid June, it gets light here very early. Early tee times are good. Tomorrow, June 11th the sunrise is 5:12am; sunset is 8:42pm. I couldn’t believe how high the sun was at 7am. See pic below for daylight at 6:53am.

-Make sure your group has at least one caddy. I would have definitely chosen different target lines off tees and into greens if we didn’t have one.

-I stayed off site as I am Marriott platinum and have loads of points. I kind of regret this in hindsight. I had a hotel in Stevens Point and it was a bit far. I wish I would have stayed on site as I could have gone back out after the rain subsided around 6-7pm and still had time to play sandbox or dink around.

-Rumor from our caddy is that the new Doak course is all marked and a 3 hole preview could be ready as early as end 2020.

-36 holes walking was about 20,000-25,000 steps or about 9 miles as far as I can tell. I shot 80/78 from orange and wasn’t really looking for balls ever, especially on Mammoth. I did take a lot of photos however which probably added to step count.

-Almost all the items in the pro shop are available in the SV online store. I wish I would have looked online prior to visiting to help aid in my souvenir selection process. I am always second guessing myself and scatterbrained when I’m browsing through the shop. E.g. should I really spend $98 on a Peter Miller shirt or do I have enough already? Short sleeve or pullover? Should I get the hat and a shirt or just a hat? Do I prefer to have a M or L in so-and-so brand? (spoiler, I bought the Millar shirt + hat )

50af997a-dd45-427b-9ba3-8b365c380bd6.jpeg

ae391c29-4248-4535-a3be-17eddf130b27.jpeg

444b2bc8-1919-414e-a0cb-3c5a08f5bb6a.jpeg

ae3c08ec-ad4e-42b1-827a-82225a34fe25.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I just booked our teetimes for 36 holes for a buddy and I in early October. We both cannot wait as we have been both trying to make time and get up there. Unfortunately, with the time constraints of sunsetting, I don’t know if we’re going to be able to get in and play the sandbox after our times. Our last teetime on SV is 1 PM.

I do think that we will take a caddy for one of the 18s, but the other 18 we may use a pushcart. Do they allow you to bring your own pushcart?

Was thinking of using a caddy for SV. Or should I use a caddy for Mammoth instead?

• 3 months later...