2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Proposed Post-Covid-19 Golf Trip

As I am house bound with nothing to do but think about golf, I have come up with some ideas for a nice 10 day golf trip in the UK once all this is over and I can convince the missus to go flying again. It goes like this and if there are any ideas for improvement please advise. I am not interested in the big famous courses, played all those.

London - Old Fold Manor - Woburn/Dukes - Little Aston - Shifnal - Delamere Forest - Cavendish - Hollinwell - Gog Magog - John O'Gaunt - London.

I see this as a nice easy jaunt through the Midlands with some lovely villages and scenery (apart from negotiating Birmingham) and hopefully find some nice pubs and B&Bs along the way.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting tour. It might be worth considering Mildenhall over Gog. Its a better course and gets you in the neighbourhood of charming Cambridge and Ely.

Do you have an affinity for Colt? If so you can skirt into Brum to play Harborne or Edgbaston. Both are highly interesting courses.

Have you played Beau Desert?

Thanks lads, I played Mildenhall a few years ago, lovely course. Quite a gem. And yes I like Colt's work, played Huntercombe and Swinley Forest on the same trip. So Edgbaston could be a candidate - who knows maybe some cricket to watch as well. But Beau Desert is interesting so will consider that if we have enough time. Woodhall Spa is one I would love to play at some time but maybe not this time. I have always enjoyed playing the offbeat UK courses like Felixstowe Ferry and Hadley Wood so this is the same idea - much cheaper too.

Luffenham Heath fits into the East-West pattern, especially from Gog-Magog to Notts and obviously there are a bunch of courses around Notts if you wanted to stay put for a day or two. Like you I've played every course in the UK I was super keen on getting to, so getting further afield is definitely part of that next level fun.

And would I be too much of a pedant to note that Huntercombe is Park Jr? I know I know

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Chance

Kington is brilliant, but quite a drive to the west. Its about 3 hours from Notts and Cavendish. Mind you, there are a few cool courses to play on the way which include Welshpool and Church Stretton. The scenery around all three of these courses is much more rural and beautiful than your initial itinerary choices. A trip like this also brings in the Cotswolds on the way back to London. Namely Cleeve Hill, Minchinhampton Old and Painswick. To me, these are far more interesting as a group than the choices further east. Cheap as chips too.

How would this be to change arrival port to Manchester and go in a loop like this:

Cavendish- Hollinwell- Little Aston - Sutton Coldfield - Copt Heath - Kington - Church Stretton -Shifnal - Llanymynech - Delamere Forest - then back to Manchester.

That would seem to offer a more scenic route through the Shropshire Hills and the Peak District although I guess 3 rounds in Birmingham will be testing.

We can do Gog Magog on another trip out of Heathrow to include Woburn Woodhall Spa, and Brancaster.

^If you're going to keep it that regionally specific, Prestbury has to go into the rota I'd reckon. From general touristing POV, Peak District is good fun, like a toned down Lake District. Lots of good hiking and pubs :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

That's the "problem" :-) England (ok you're dipping into Wales too) is sooo deep is quality, fun courses - and some you may more readily categorize as worth a punt - it's silly.

I've been over a fair bit the past few years and there are still regions/courses I've yet to really dig into. I'm looking forward to plunking myself down in Dorset for a few days next trip and getting back up to Suffolk and Norfolk. You really are only limited by visitor time availability to Tetris them all in.

F.T.

If you aren't interested in playing the southeast courses then sure, try to fly into Manchester as there are a ton of good courses fairly close to the airport.

Prestbury is a very good Colt course in a tony neighbourhood, but not crazy posh. Dr Mac's Reddish Vale is on the opposite end of posh and it's very good as well. It's very easy to ditch Copt Heath and Sutton Coldfield for these two. Shifnal too can be dropped. Once again, I would encourage you to keep Welshpool (it's better than Church Stretton) and especially Beau Desert in mind.

Crosland Heath is also an interesting course. Looking back, I think I was too harsh on my judgement of the course due to the heavy use of the quarry. There are many good holes which you expect from Dr Mac. The scenery isn't bad either!

If you are going to be in Notts country, then strongly consider playing Sherwood Forest.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely looking schedule that, as I grew up nearby I'd also massively recommend Prestbury, ideal for Manchester Airport and a great track. As others have said it's in a fancy area, but from my experience it's come a long way in terms of being welcoming as a club in the last few years. If you'd like something unorthodox in there, Macclesfield Golf Club is an interesting track. You can get on for less than £15 a lot of the time, very hilly and the greens tend to be in fantastic condition. First 10 holes have some unbelievable views across the Peak district and Wales on a clear day. There's 8 additional holes for the Back 9 that were added later on and are a bit of a letdown, but the views alone make it worth a quick spin.

• 1 month later...

Looks like we will be coming down from Scotland, playing Prestwick, Silloth, Alwoodley, Ganton, Woodhall Spa and Hollinwell en route, then with only 6 days in which to play 6 courses out of these 10 before departing Manchester:

Beau Desert

Little Aston

Blackwell

Church Stretton

Welshpool

LLanymynech

Delamere Forest

Prestbury

Cavendish

Reddish Vale.

Which 6 should I play?

I've only played Delamere of those, but it's a fantastic heathland course. I've wanted to go back and play again as the first time I played was very early season and my game was way off! Others might vouch for the rest but I've heard good things about Beau Desert and Prestbury as well.