2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How To - Jordan 1 TD x Vapor Sole Swap

Yeah, I started with those MCS. The leather is really soft, so be careful!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

So I finally finished both shoes. I used some Loctite super glue to finish the edges (Loctite Ultragel Control) It was super easy to get the small nozzle between the rubber and leather. Then I used a quick wipe with an acetone rag to remove any that got squeezed up. I have been walking around in the house with them. I also took some practice swings. So far, so good. I'm going out tomorrow morning so I will report back how the e6000 glue holds up!

LTPWFVOD5KQD.jpg

• Like 2

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I wanted to follow up on the durability of the shoes. I have now been out twice with a full walking round. I have been carrying a second pair of shoes in my push cart in case the soles blow out. I probably look ridiculous.

So far, so good. The soles havent shown any signs of a blow out. I dont know. If they fail will they fail suddenly and massively, or will they go slowly? At any rate, things have gone really well so far!

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

Im currently working on a pair of Nike MCS baseball cleats right now. Trying to get the donor upper off is a nightmare. This thing is really on there. The hair dryer method isnt working. Not sure it's getting hot enough. I think I need to get a heat gun. I also tried the boiling water method. That didnt work either.

I tried the boiling water method on the first pair of MCS. The leather is so soft on those that they are really difficult. The boiling water started to break down the leather. I'd be careful with a heat gun on leather that soft. The AJ1 TDs have harder leather and it seems more resilient.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

For those talking about re-gluing the soles, which glue product are you using? I remember years ago watching YouTube channels doing sole swaps and they always used Barge Infinity Cement or Barge Super Stick. In videos retrosnickers and Reshoevn8r made I remember seeing Super Stick, so thats what I'll probably lean to for my projects. I'll attach links to the two products and an application chart from Barge that show which materials that they bond with. I believe its important to use a heat gun on the glue after applied to the sole and upper to ensure a successful bond. Also recommend using a dremel if you have it to remove all of the old glue from the donor sole to ensure a better adhesion with the new glue applied. Using a dremel can also help with the fitting of the new upper in certain areas that may not be sitting right but be careful that you don't go deep and ruin the sole. Retrosnickers has really awesome documentation of reglues if you have any hesitation of the steps.

Side note; got fleeced for a pair of white cement Jordan 3 golf cleats that looked to be in decent condition on ebay, but was catfished as they were stained a higlighter green on parts of the upper. I assume the stains were from grass painted on teebox's. Bought them close to two years ago before prices jumped up high on all the 3's and they've been sitting in my garage. Only paid 120 so I didn't feel too bad. Going to try and find a 3 upper in the Black Cement colorway to put on the Jordan 3 Golf cleat Sole so if I ever get to it I will post photos. Hard to put a decent amount of money into an upper and side project at the moment for me so I will live vicariously through the posts on here for now.

image.pngBarge Infinity TF All-Purpose Cement Rubber Leather Shoe Glue 1 Qt (946 ml) Barge Super Stick Cement Urethane-Based Waterproof Glue 1qt

• 3 weeks later...

You have inspired me to try some Jordan 4’s. I have followed your instruction la so far with separating the donor top and the Do it bottom. I will say to expand on fencing the donor from a new pair of Nike golf shoes this is what I did and it came off like butter. I’m no expert by any stretch and this is my first attempt but I let the boiling water sit in the shoe for about 5-10 mins then I took them outside and used acetone with a cotton ball around the edges and working around slowly and the man the sole, it came apart much easier and clean. It left hardly any glue residue. Next is to get them glued

b433a2c7-0859-4f9b-9658-e88c9b14d88d.jpeg

3b5184e7-41b1-411a-a401-13bed36b249a.jpeg

6c04a28f-bfac-4328-b6b1-4fb9fa1706e0.jpeg

b152d87a-16dd-4f1a-8d06-05319920674d.jpeg

• Like 1

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

The heat gun will heat things up to fast and can burn or melt the upper material and lower. Especially on the Jordan 11 patent. If that gets to hot it will melt. That's why the hair dryer method works. It just takes longer time to heat the area up to soften the glue enough to remove with the acetone. I try to heat up the whole sole area for a couple minutes then focus on a specific area either toe or heel to start. Similar to the boiling water method it heats up the glue over a slower time.

older shoes the boil water method works well as the glue is not as strong but brand new shoes tend to take the hairdryer method.

Ping G410+ 10.5 GD ADIZ 7TX
TM OO Mini driver 13.5  GD Tour ADDI 7X
Ping Anser 20* GD Tour ADDI 95X
Miura CB57'S Raw 4-9 TT DG TI X100
Titleist TI Raw SM7 Vokey 48/52 TI DG S400 Black

Titleist TI Raw SM6 Vokey 56/61 TI DG S400 Black 
Lajosi LP7 Stability shaft

Here is the finished product. The only thing is they are too narrow for my wide foot :-(

im happy with how they came out though

e79d7357-0eaa-4985-b4bf-1f4d086d8d11.jpeg

f2f8ada1-f185-4366-903e-b6b1ea7a6e57.jpeg

b7a8f90e-ba69-4df9-9db6-b54421ce245c.jpeg

5d975028-0a1a-4381-965c-44b1328efbeb.jpeg

96220b04-cc62-4cac-8ace-cfb836e78036.jpeg

f66054b2-b256-47c8-b49d-fad3294bf011.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

T100S 5-PW DGTI X100

They were the same size. I have a pair of TW14 soles I wanted to use that were 13 wide but they were too wide for the upper.

T100S 5-PW DGTI X100

Hot dayum! Those are fantastic looking! Great job!!!

• Like 1

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

This is some awesome stuff here! Nice work!

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm revisiting this topic, because I'm in the middle of re-soleing a pair of Jordan ST Trainers with Vapor lunar pro bottoms. I'm struggling to get the donor uppers off the soles. Should I try dumping acetone in the shoe, let it sit for 10 minutes or so,  then dump boiling water in and letting it sit for the same amount of time? I haven't started getting the donor soles off the lunars yet, but I'm starting to worry I'll have the same problem. 

OG Sim 8* - Diamana ZF 60X 

Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70X

Callaway Rogue 18* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70X 

2023 P770 5-PW - MMT 125S 

48* SM7 12 F, 52* SM9 08 F, 56* SM9 08 M, 60* SM9 08 M

PLD Anser D 

9 hours ago, champagnechunk said:

I'm revisiting this topic, because I'm in the middle of re-soleing a pair of Jordan ST Trainers with Vapor lunar pro bottoms. I'm struggling to get the donor uppers off the soles. Should I try dumping acetone in the shoe, let it sit for 10 minutes or so,  then dump boiling water in and letting it sit for the same amount of time? I haven't started getting the donor soles off the lunars yet, but I'm starting to worry I'll have the same problem. 

It's been a bit since I've done this. I was always really careful with the donor upper. I actually stopped doing it because I was scared of damaging them. There's a ton of stuff on Instagram these days that could help you. I'm gonna get it kicked back into gear this spring when I won't freeze to death in my garage.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

8 hours ago, blink3665 said:

It's been a bit since I've done this. I was always really careful with the donor upper. I actually stopped doing it because I was scared of damaging them. There's a ton of stuff on Instagram these days that could help you. I'm gonna get it kicked back into gear this spring when I won't freeze to death in my garage.

I got both the donor upper and donor sole off. The acetone/boiling water method finally worked. Tonight I am going to take a dremel to both donor portions to get off the excess glue, and see if I can get everything lined up to glue. Wish me luck! 

• Like 1

PLD Anser D 

Finally finished! Overall I’m pleased with the result, but we will see when I decide to play a round in them, 🤣

98C63FBF-E692-46F2-9878-4630E43BEAEE.jpeg

PLD Anser D 

9 hours ago, champagnechunk said:

Finally finished!

Nice, i saw this same build @solehaunt on instagram. I tried a few times, managed to rip a couple of soles and damage few Jordans, but thanks to solehaunt they able to recover and fixed the damage and was still able to do the soleswap. i found the process very time consuming, and you can easily damage the sole and upper easy. so i just send to solehaunt or govrn who ever is going to get my shoes quickly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fourunder68 said:

Nice, i saw this same build @solehaunt on instagram. I tried a few times, managed to rip a couple of soles and damage few Jordans, but thanks to solehaunt they able to recover and fixed the damage and was still able to do the soleswap. i found the process very time consuming, and you can easily damage the sole and upper easy. so i just send to solehaunt or govrn who ever is going to get my shoes quickly.

Looking back at my thread I realize there are things that I would do differently this time around. There are better ways to do this. You can tell I didnt strip down the uppers as much as I needed to. I did more than the pics, but I will probably didnt do quite enough. Plus, I should have just used a flapper wheel instead of a knife. I have some 10s that I bought to do this to. They have sat now for a long time because I was worried about ruining the nice leather upper. At this point, they are just taking up space in my garage. I'm going to give this another shot this spring/summer after I clean and rearrange my workspace.

I've considered just sending everything to SoleHaunt or Govrn to get them done professionally. I SHOULD do that. But I'm a tinkerer and hobbyist at heart.

• Like 2

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

3 hours ago, fourunder68 said:

I saw that post on solehaunt, and knew I had the trainers just laying around so decided to jump in full go. I wish I would have been a little more gentle on the uppers when I was pulling them. The donor soles came off like butter but the Jordan uppers were kind of a bear to get off. Ended up sanding quite a bit of leftover sole off of them

• Like 1

PLD Anser D 

11 minutes ago, champagnechunk said:

I saw that post on solehaunt, and knew I had the trainers just laying around so decided to jump in full go. I wish I would have been a little more gentle on the uppers when I was pulling them. The donor soles came off like butter but the Jordan uppers were kind of a bear to get off. Ended up sanding quite a bit of leftover sole off of them

RIGHT?!?!?!?! WHY?!?!?!?! Donor soles come off super easy. Donor uppers are like pulling teeth. 😞 I have 2 or 3 soles that are ready to go. The slow part has been the uppers.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 8:16 AM, blink3665 said:

RIGHT?!?!?!?! WHY?!?!?!?! Donor soles come off super easy. Donor uppers are like pulling teeth. 😞 I have 2 or 3 soles that are ready to go. The slow part has been the uppers.

do you think a .5 size difference in donor soles would still work or did you always go true to size? there's tour g in 9 but the shoe i want to swap is 9.5. cant seem to find a 9.5 for a better price

On 4/1/2023 at 10:38 AM, UncleDrew said:

do you think a .5 size difference in donor soles would still work or did you always go true to size? there's tour g in 9 but the shoe i want to swap is 9.5. cant seem to find a 9.5 for a better price

Good question. I'd guess that if anything the sole might be able to be a half size up, but I don't know how you'd squish a larger upper into a smaller sole. But from what I understand there are shoes where the pros actually use different sizes for sole and upper. I just have no idea what models would require that.

• Like 1

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

On 4/1/2023 at 12:38 PM, UncleDrew said:

It all depends on the shoe. Some require TTS, some require a .5 size up. In my experience, I have reached out to solehaunt and govrn on instagram and they have been super helpful on what shoes need. Disclaimer though, they might tell you your idea is not attainable 

• Like 2

PLD Anser D 

On 4/3/2023 at 7:42 AM, champagnechunk said:

It all depends on the shoe. Some require TTS, some require a .5 size up. In my experience, I have reached out to solehaunt and govrn on instagram and they have been super helpful on what shoes need. Disclaimer though, they might tell you your idea is not attainable 

yea govrn said not to go .5 down on react vapor 2s. sending in my pair to him this week 🙂

• Like 1