2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2022 update - Z1ggy16's 2020 WITB - *REALLY* PIC HEAVY!!

The 5w is awesome, definitely staying in the bag. Very easy off the deck. It's not a missile launcher like the SIM but that's exactly what I was hoping for.

The irons have been good but not automatic. It's probably me more than anything else but I do notice I tend to push them or push cut them way too often, which when I used the P790 4i... never really happened. I'm not sure if I just need to adjust a bit more or if maybe the SW, head weight or something is just "off". My swing has changed a little bit since last year, and I'm possibly loading the shaft a bit different so maybe the modus 120 is a little too tip soft for me now? Can't say for sure. I can say they though are insanely forgiving, and for a SGI iron, feel pretty good. Not clicky but still very hot and long. I may try a soft stepped X100 in the 5i next because I have done that to my 7i and had success. If that doesn't work I may try to pick up a P790 4i head and put the modus 120x in it from the SZ just to see if I can reproduce the same push cut results.

• 2 weeks later...

Got another small change to the bag:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.pngAlso, putting the hybrid back in the bag. The 4i is a real joy when I pure it, but it really suffers bad on my toe strikes... the Hybrid minimizes the damage done much better. I do need to get the club fit because I don't think the 90g shaft is the right fit for me (need more weight), I may try an Accra FX hybrid since I really love this shaft in my 5w.

Lastly, I ordered a MMT 125tx shaft to try out in one of my irons. I still have soft stepped x100 in my 7i and I really like it, so at some point later this year or start of next year I think I'm going to transition out of the modus 120.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update: Driver - Ventus Black 6x in, Accra Tour Z Xtreme 465 out. Making the change because the Ventus seems to be straighter and whether placebo or not... it really does not let the head twist on miss-hits. I have the Accra tipped 3/4 of an inch and I can still feel it twist ever so slightly if I don't button it.. but the Ventus is as solid as a rock. Little to no kick makes me feel like I could swing out of my shoes if I wanted. It also launches a touch lower and I've found I make my best swings with the ball teed just a little lower and moved a touch back in my stance compared to how I'd been playing it. I may need to move to a 10.5* head.

I also have a MMT 125TX 4i shaft coming in at some point in the next few weeks to put into my 5i to test that out. Still have a soft stepped X100 in my 7i which I really like. If the MMT doesn't work out, I'll be converting my entire set to soft stepped X100 next month.

Lastly, I'm testing an Accra Tour Z Xtreme 475 in my SIM Ti fairway but it wasn't giving the best results. It needs another test to confirm but I may also look into a Ventus 8x before I give the Diamana B a permanent spot.

Great bag!

Would you mind taking a picture of the Toulon and Directed Force next to each other? I am really close to buying a DF 2.1 but am still hanging out because... well... it looks like a space ship and I dont know how big it is in reality so a comparison to a classic blade would be nice.

Thank you!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

That sounds BIIIIIG. Dont have the Yips or anything (*knocking on wood*) but love the idea as short putts are definetely the worst part of my putting and bigger, face-balanced putter totally kill my feel on lag putts (which is the strongest part of my putting - distance control).

Thanks again!

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Okay, then it might not be for me. Dont wont to cure one problem by getting another =D

Thanks for your help!

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 5 weeks later...

Going to post some updated photos over the coming days when I find time, but I have some more small updates:

Irons - On a small whim, I picked up some Ping i210 heads and I shafted one up with the MMT 125TX shaft I talked about earlier. The shaft was a no go but the head felt awesome. I think I'm going to shaft them up with a set of X100's, soft stepped 1x. The head is exactly what I was looking for when replacing the 760's - Something a little longer heel to toe but still kept the thin top line. I need to hit them off turf still to see how that interaction is... can't learn much from range mats.

Putter - Got a good deal from another golfer on a My Spider X, in all black. It looks clean as heck and rolls nicely.

Bag - Got sick of lugging the big Sun Mountain Sync to the range... So I found a Datrek Trekker for $95 brand new on DallasGolf. Thing is light as a feather and really quite nice for the price.

Ball - Moving to a ProV1x. Don't really want to but I ran out of BXS balls and the used ones I get have run out of stock. Bought 6 dozen so it's likely now my ball from now until next summer.

At this point still searching for the ideal shaft for the SIM Ti 5w. I don't love the Diamana B but the Ventus Blue 8x has yet to show up used and I'm not paying the brand new price tag. I'm debating buying either an Accra Tour Z ST, Elements Chrome 8F or just going for another FX 2.0 380.

Edited by Z1ggy16

Are you still using the Amazon multi compound grips. And if so how do they hold up to the real grip.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

@Z1ggy16 I had no idea you were in such an equipment carousel mode when I sent you that first Cobra code.  I was just feeding your addiction.'

I need to post my WITB, I got the 4,5,6 in the SZ irons and a couple of wedges.  I sold the 5 and 6 and both wedges.  I had buddies that absolutely loved the clubs and the fact that I got a "free" set of irons that I hit very well made the decision even easier.  I still have the 4 iron that I use for a tweener club at the top end.  My wedge gaps changed and after a statistical analysis from the top to the bottom of my bag I went with bigger gaps at the top and smaller at the bottom, which has lowered my scoring and increased my birdies per round.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

8 hours ago, Shanks2424 said:

Are you still using the Amazon multi compound grips. And if so how do they hold up to the real grip.

I'm not using them anymore although I really liked them. Reason for switching is I still tinker with things enough that using the Tour Velvet was better. The Velvet comes off easier with air (removing the MCC is tough... and I even blew one up, my ears did not like that) and they aren't effected by the logo moving if you decide to tinker with your hosel setting.

6 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

@Z1ggy16 I had no idea you were in such an equipment carousel mode when I sent you that first Cobra code.  I was just feeding your addiction.'

I need to post my WITB, I got the 4,5,6 in the SZ irons and a couple of wedges.  I sold the 5 and 6 and both wedges.  I had buddies that absolutely loved the clubs and the fact that I got a "free" set of irons that I hit very well made the decision even easier.  I still have the 4 iron that I use for a tweener club at the top end.  My wedge gaps changed and after a statistical analysis from the top to the bottom of my bag I went with bigger gaps at the top and smaller at the bottom, which has lowered my scoring and increased my birdies per round.

Haha well I still can't thank you enough for that!! The SZ 5w is one of my favorite clubs in the bag paired up with the Accra shaft. I still carry that 20* iron as well and it's a solid 240 club for me and is extremely straight. I think the 22* iron just didn't have the right shaft... my thought was that even though it's labeled a 5i but has the loft of a 4i... it's weighted like a 5i, but they built it with a 4i shaft or something because it felt super whippy. Couldn't hit it straight for anything. I still have it... Going to sell it if I can.

The SZ Xtreme was very forgiving and honestly if I didn't love the SIM Max so much, I would have kept it and tinkered with it to make it work. First thing was, it came in superrrr heavy. I'm not sure why but Cobra made this head 208g... that's almost a 3w as far as weight goes. I'd never want a driver head to be that heavy playing at 44.5'', so I would have removed that heavy weight in the back and put in a light 2g one, which feeds into the second thing.... Which was sound. Man o man, that thing sounded ttterrrribbblleeeee!! So loud!! Very high pitch too. So loud in fact that I didn't want to hit it at the range because with my slightly higher swing speed, I'd probably start making other people mad. Last thing would have been a shaft change. The Hzrdus Smoke 70x I got is just not a match for me... I think that shaft is an over reaction to the regular Smoke which a lot of people might have thought was too stiff. Smoke felt very loose. It needed probably a good inch tipping.

The SZ Extreme is loud, but not as loud as my G400 Max sitting behind me in my office.  It is on a timeout for awhile.  I have not tried the smoke, but randomly ordered a G410 LST and M5 that both had the HZRDOUS yellow and I think I may be in love.  I have played UST/Mamiya for the last 14+ years in my all of my clubs.  I still have a set of Recoil 110's that I love.  Maybe it is the head/shaft combo, but the 410 LST will be in the bag for awhile.  It is as straight as my 400 max and longer.

The 4 iron I have had trouble finding the right fit.  I think I have settled on the Project X Catalyst 100 gram in X with some lead tape on it to get it where I like it.  I rarely use it, as my hybrid I can cover most distances, and a 5.5 degree gap from there to my 5 iron has worked fine so far, since at that distance I am happy with hitting the green or at least close to it

The "free" irons I have (M3 irons I bought for my step son and he didn't like them, I caved the face on the 4 and 5 and they sent me SIM max) which laugh if you want, they feel really good.  I was worried when they arrived with Nippon 105 in s flex.  They have been great, coming from my Recoil 110's I have been pretty happy with them so far.  I am much more a weight than flex player as I have a very smooth transition and they have been awesome.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

7 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

The SZ Extreme is loud, but not as loud as my G400 Max sitting behind me in my office.  It is on a timeout for awhile.  I have not tried the smoke, but randomly ordered a G410 LST and M5 that both had the HZRDOUS yellow and I think I may be in love.  I have played UST/Mamiya for the last 14+ years in my all of my clubs.  I still have a set of Recoil 110's that I love.  Maybe it is the head/shaft combo, but the 410 LST will be in the bag for awhile.  It is as straight as my 400 max and longer.

The 4 iron I have had trouble finding the right fit.  I think I have settled on the Project X Catalyst 100 gram in X with some lead tape on it to get it where I like it.  I rarely use it, as my hybrid I can cover most distances, and a 5.5 degree gap from there to my 5 iron has worked fine so far, since at that distance I am happy with hitting the green or at least close to it

The "free" irons I have (M3 irons I bought for my step son and he didn't like them, I caved the face on the 4 and 5 and they sent me SIM max) which laugh if you want, they feel really good.  I was worried when they arrived with Nippon 105 in s flex.  They have been great, coming from my Recoil 110's I have been pretty happy with them so far.  I am much more a weight than flex player as I have a very smooth transition and they have been awesome.

Yeah even though they are GI irons and cast, the SZ's felt good. It's not a soft kind of 'ball melts into club face' type of feel, but it was never hard, firm or clicky. I'm not too worried about it really... I rarely even hit my 4i. That 200-210 yardage rarely comes up for me. It seems like most courses I play you can either hit a big driver, or they try and force you to lay up around that 220-230 range, which is usually just a smoothy SZ 5w for me.

1 minute ago, dakpery said:

Love the headcovers

Thanks...! Usually I get weird looks or people know what they are and I get a , "Hey, cool, where'd you get those?!"

• 4 months later...

"Small" update to WITB for 2021:

tTiZOSGl.jpg

PgdWhPsl.jpg

As seen, about all my clubs have changed since early 2020, except the hybrid. I'm still figuring out the top end of the bag... The 2 fairway woods are likely to go, and the hybrid is in jeopardy, too.

Driver: SIM Max 9, @ 11, 4g of lead tape on the toe. Ventus Black 6x 45''

3w: Cobra Big 3 Tour. Accra FX 2.0 370 M5 43''

5w: Cobra SZ. Accra FX 2.0 380 M5, 42.75'' (needs to get cut down)

4h: 818H1 23. Ventus Blue HB 10x

5i: Cobra Forged Tec 6i, 1 weak, 1* flat, +1/2''. X100 AMT White Onyx

6-GW: Cobra Forged CB, standard LLL, X100 AMT White Onyx

SW: SM8 54.12D, S400 Ti Onyx

LW: SM8 58.08M, 1* weak, S400 Ti Onyx

P: Custom by Compass Golf Co (Timeless Tri-sole)

Possible/probable changes for 2021:

SIM Max 9* --> SIM 9*

Cobra Big 3 --> G425 Max or TSi2

Cobra SZ 5w --> 3h or 7w

818H1 --> P790 4i

Edited by Z1ggy16
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Z1ggy16 changed the title to 2022 update - Z1ggy16's 2020 WITB - *REALLY* PIC HEAVY!!

See sig for the TLDR WITB. I'll post pics in a few hours for those interested.

The Deets

Driver: Sometime in 2021 I ditched the SIM because it was not that forgiving and super low spin. I got a G410 which was the polar opposite. Spun like crazy but was easy to hit. Early in 2022 I got the Rogue ST Max LS shortly after it came out and I was into it. a Mix of SIM and G410 without the spin up on misses. It was in the bag all year until TODAY because I just kept seeing the hooky miss over and over. It is def draw bias, at least for me. Bring in the LTDx LS. Only one good session with it, but it just wants to go straight to slightly fade bias, which is honestly my preferred flight. I want to transition to a safety push cut and this will help.

Woods: Got out of the Cobra Big Tour and into a G410. I honestly liked it a lot, no real complaints except that it did everything just OK. Nothing great, nothing bad. I found that it did spin quite a lot which made it tougher to play in wind. Used a Rogue ST LS for the last few months. One trick pony. Very flat, no adjustability. Hot as hell, but tough to play anything other than a low draw. Again TODAY I just kicked it out for a higher lofted Stealth+. Just as hot, nice small package, and adjustability, lower spin. The Cobra 5w was the opposite of the Rogue. Very upright, hit the ball high and tough to hit low for me. Tried a G410 hybrid for a while which was good but I just hate hybrids in general. In comes the Epic Speed 7w, which I think will become a trusted long time club of mine. Although it is bonded and a little flat, I feel like I can actually work this club a bit unlike the Rogue. Stock flight is really neutral, easy to hit high fades, but I can actually draw this too with some concentration. It's been my go to safety club for most of this year.

Irons: Ditched the hybrid late in 2021 because it was a 1 trick pony. Went insanely high off the tee and I felt I could control it that well. I tested 2 iron sets late last year... ZX7 and T100. T100 is better in almost every single way, absolutely the best irons I've ever used. I haven't once been tempted to stray, which is saying something for me. I got T200 matching for long irons because these are about as thin and compact as a cb can be, save for the Titleist CB's. T200 4 & 5, T100 6-PW. The Cobra CB set I was using were just "ok". Spun a lot which I know better players do like but they weren't all that forgiving and relatively speaking, don't feel that nice. T100's feel better, flight a bit better (up and down) and have some nice sole relief.

Wedges: Same vokes, but I got into the Chrome finish instead of the black. No reason other than I don't like mismatched wedge and iron set finish 🙂 I did mess around this year with some New Level SPN forged wedges, which looked and felt sooooo sweet, but were like absolute butter knives. Bring those with you to Texas or Scotland.

Flat Stick: I'm a putter ho thru and thru. I actually gamed a Scotty NP2 for most of 2022 but I still have the custom Compass as a backup. The actual gamer right now is a Spider GT. I just like how it rolls the ball and I'm taking a break from a blade. I also tinkered with an Armlock DF2.1 which was hot or cold. Hard to lag putt but I made an abnormally high amount of 10 and 12 footers for par. I will keep it around for when my confidence is crazy low.

Ball: Had been using used ProV for a while, mixed in with some BXS. As of two weeks ago, I'm a convert to the Maxfli Tour ball. Feels awesome, spins a lot around the green but doesn't spin tons off driver and woods. $100 or even $90 with coupon for 48 balls... It's honestly one of the best deals in golf.