Pro Golf’s Top-5 Greatest Over Achievers....

Forged4ever

Now that I am thinking about it, and making some stupid looking panto-mime type moves at my desk, I wonder if the "flying right elbow" that Nicklaus had was not a result of having a very broad chest? I physically can't keep a straight left arm, get my right forearm and elbow under my hands and maintain the flat left wrist at the top. My shoulder just doesn't want to move in against my right pec enough to get all of those things in action at one time.

Cup at the bottom and you lose speed and shaft angle and flip. You start flipping at the bottom you will have all kinds of issues.

Why didn't Sam ever buy anymore Izett drivers as backups?

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

Always thought he underachieved. In many ways winning back-back opens was worse thing. He didn't have drive as much anymore afterwards.

Sort of like arnie says cherry hill was worst for him to win. Didn't push enough after.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

Great thread.....Richard, I love they way you can totally derail a thread and make it highly entertaining.... :) Great history and insight as usual. Keep posting please.

To answer the question I will go with Trevino as #1. I mean he won 6 major and was the best player in the world for a spell, along with becoming an all-time great ball striker.

After that in my mind there are a lot of guys you could throw on the list, including Calvin Peete, Fred Funk, and anyone else who worked their ass off to make it big who didn't possess a ton of God given talent.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Apologies for the delay in response as I missed your post👊

According to Pete, Sam actually did try a few other Izett drivers some years later, though he said that they lacked the “feel” of his Henry Picard Izett driver and when he took the Izett out of the bag, either a Mac(Staff sole plate/stamped) Toney Penna or later just a Toney Penna driver went into the bag(9*/G. Loomis IMX shaft).

Have a Nice Week🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've only seen his name mentioned once, maybe twice - but my vote would have to be for Jim Furyk. I think you could make an argument he's one of the biggest overachievers of all time.

17 PGA victories#3 all time PGA Career Money List (behind only Tiger and Phil)10 Ryder Cup Teams, 1 captain5 Top 5's in the Players1 Win, 4 2nd, and 16 Top 5 finishes in MajorsOnly man in history of PGA Tour to shoot a 59 AND a 58All the while having the most unorthodox, quirkiest swing in the history of the PGA. New 2nd - Matthew Wolff!

• Like 2

D - 10.5° Paradym Ai Smoke Ventus TR Blue 5

F - 20° Paradym Heavenwood Ventus TR Blue 7
H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

I - 5-G JPX 923 HM KBS Tour Lite

W - 54/58 CBX2 Black Satin KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
P - Toulon Seattle w/ H1 Hosel

B - Titleist Pro V1

ALL CARRIED, DRUG OR DRIVEN IN A...BIG MAX DRi LiTe <-HYBRID-> Golf Bag

And he’s one of the 2 coolest Pros that I’ve ever had the pleasure of catchin a buzz with, lol

I’ve told the story of Jim & Tabitha at our Club for a Charity shindig and his participating in our midnight madness(it was actually done at 11:00pm) Long Ball contest and his removing his hand made Egyptian cotton tux shirt cuz Tabitha had given it to him prior to one of his RC Black Tie events and he didn’t wanna possibly tear it??

You think that the image of Jim Furyk’s swing is funky, you should see it when he’s buzzed, shirtless and shoeless(you could wear either your formal shoes or hit bare foot, though no golf shoes)??. Also, everyone had to chug 2 glasses of champagne prior to hittin the tee and the ball had to be in the fairway, which of course his was, though he took 3rd, lolol, and Maddie drove them to the hotel and me home to bed, lol

Great post OGD

Cheers🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

That's an awesome story RP! Love the good guys stories and how they are hanging with the guys

D - 10.5° Paradym Ai Smoke Ventus TR Blue 5

F - 20° Paradym Heavenwood Ventus TR Blue 7
H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

I - 5-G JPX 923 HM KBS Tour Lite

W - 54/58 CBX2 Black Satin KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
P - Toulon Seattle w/ H1 Hosel

B - Titleist Pro V1

ALL CARRIED, DRUG OR DRIVEN IN A...BIG MAX DRi LiTe <-HYBRID-> Golf Bag

Not that we didn't know this would happen but this seems to have turned into, who has what we've deemed a funky swing that has done better than we think such and such swing should do. I don't really care what Spieth's swing looks like. When you have this type of resume, it's not like he came out of nowhere. That said, three majors and seven wins that early was pretty amazing:

"In 2009 and 2011, Spieth won the U.S. Junior Amateur and joined Tiger Woods as the tournament's only two-time winners.[9]

Before turning 18 in July 2011, he was No. 1 in the AJGA Golf Rankings, which promotes the best junior golfers in the world.[10]

He finished second in the 2008 and 2009 Junior PGA Championship.[11] The American Junior Golf Association named him the Rolex Junior Player of the Year in 2009.[12]

Spieth accepted an exemption to play in the PGA Tour's HP Byron Nelson Championship in 2010. It was the event's first amateur exemption since 1995.[13] The tournament's previous exemptions had included Trip Kuehne in 1995, Justin Leonard, and Woods in 1993.[13] He made the cut, becoming the sixth-youngest player to make the cut at a PGA Tour event.[14] Spieth was tied for seventh place after the third round, and finished the tournament in a tie for 16th place.[15] He was offered another exemption into the tournament in 2011, when he again made the cut and finished in a tie for 32nd.[6]

Spieth played college golf at the University of Texas.[16] Spieth was a member of the 2011 Walker Cup team and played in three of the four rounds; he halved his foursomes match and won both singles matches.[17]

In his freshman year at Texas, Spieth won three events and led the team in scoring average.[18] He helped his team win the NCAA championship, was named to the All-Big 12 Team, Big 12 Freshman of the Year and Player of the Year, and was a first-team All-American.[19][20]"

Though Jordan was the youngest member of that 2011 WC team and Nathan was more or less his Mentor and took Jordan under his wing, Nathan stated that Jordan was mature waaaaaaay beyond his 18 years and along with his performance in the Cup, in three practice rounds set-up prior to their departure for Scotland, Jordan spanked Patrick Cantley, who was the #1 ranked Am to Jordan’s #2 ranking, 5&4, and was 4 up on Patrick Rodgers, the #3 ranked Am, through either 11 or 12 holes, I forget exactly, when Rodgers bailed from the match with a “sore” wrist. He also beat Kelly Kraft(12), the 2011 US Am Champion, 3&2.

Jordan dominated both of his singles’ matches, and though he and Rodgers halved their Sunday Foursome match, Nathan felt that Jordan should have been in Nathan’s spot in the Saturday morning Foursome match, in which Captain Jim Holtgrieve sat Jordan. Nathan, who Played on 3 WC Teams(2009, 2011 & 2013) along with Playing with and competing against the greatest Ams of the beginning of this century, and is not prone to hyperbole, said that Jordan was, hands down, the best Player of the 3 WC teams that Nathan Played on, on EITHER side.

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 6:19 PM, gvogel said:

Richard,

I googled Pete Snead and got his obituary. Very nice. Lovely.

Then I found this article about Homer in Sports Illustrated - very good read: THE HARDEST-HITTING SNEADI met Sam once at the Lower Cascades in the locker room, and he told me about all of the Wilson Staff drivers that he got each year, and how few of them that he liked. He sold the rest to pigeons.

Greg

Hey Brotha, I hope all well and apologies for bein late to another party though what's new, lolol🤪

Regarding Sam and those Staff drivers, you nailed it cuz he hated their drivers, never ever Played em and he actually would carry 15-20 of em in his car trunk and he'd call it "S&S time," for "sign & sell," after he'd Play and fans would accompany him to his car or even when he'd drive up to Pittsburgh and over to Pete's course/driving range and Sam was like the Pied Piper as the guys would follow him to his car and he'd open the trunk, start pullin out drivers and signin em with a permanent black marker that he had in the glove box(actually 3-4 markers), then sellin em for $100/pop, lol. Here was this 82-Time Tour winner multimillionaire who'd get excited selling out all of the drivers in his trunk and he'd have $1500-2000 for his time and you'd have thought that he'd won a 7-figure tourney victory😂😂.

Regarding his gamer, after he retired the Izett driver, Toney Penna made his drivers for Sam and he put the Staff "Tour Blocks" sole plates on em for obvious reasons, however other than a few drivers that Sam had Staff produce in an attempt to reproduce the Izett driver(it was the block of persimmon that the Izett driver was produced from that was not reproducible, no matter how many driver heads that Staff tried to produce for Sam, and there were hundreds over the years).

Though Sam stated in his autobiography that the quote attributed to him, where he supposedly said that he slept with the driver and that no other man was allowed to swing the club was only half true, with the truth being that no one else, including Pete, was slowed to swing the club the 23+ years that he had it in the big. I did get to swing it in Pete's front yard in 1995, and the face was battered with part of the insert missing from the top left corner on the face up into the club crown/top. I did not hit any balls and it was indeed a "telephone pole," far and away the stiffest, heaviest club that I've ever swung, and it reminded me of those extra-heavy training drivers. Though he claimed that it was a "Stiff," I Played 400's and "X" wedges and it was stiffer than those. Ya have to remember that Sam's SS was documented by the most prominent golf photographer/cameramen on earth, Lambert Martin, and he timed Sam's swing at 147-148mph with the camera set at 1/1,250th of a second. This makes sense when ya think about his monstrous 300Yd+ CARRIES, such as his measured 342yd drive in the 1938 PGA Championship where he outdrove his MP opponent Paul Runyan by 102yds(240yds). 

Getting back to the Staffs, sometimes when Sam was at Pete's range, he'd take a half dozen or so of the Staff drivers outa the trunk, hit a few balls with each one and then he could truthfully tell the "pigeons" that he'd "hit" em, lolol. He'd make up these total bullsh*t stories about hittin a certain drive with the driver in his hand in a certain tournament while signing the driver, lol. The stories were so good that I'd stand back visualizing him actually swingin that driver though as I said, they were bullsh*t as Sam never ever Played those Staff drivers, lol

"Pigeons" put tens of thousands of dollars in Sam's pockets😂😂🤙

Stay well Brotha and have a great season👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3

On 6/20/2020 at 2:46 AM, Body_Visions said:

Worst looking mess I have ever seen.

Makes my long putter look normal.

But, you cant let someone use a method for years, then call it lilegal.

Since you you seem to know Mr. Snead, do you think there is any truth to the persistent rumors that had it been Hogan, or someone else doing that, it would have been allowed.

Furthrmore, was it Bobby Jones, and “Augusta” that was behind it, and if so, why?

Apologies for the delay in responding BV, as I never saw your post or I would've responded promptly. Regarding notifications, I had a lot of problems with the system changeover, though their origin was more me and my IT incompetence than the board🥴

Regarding how the USGA would've responded had it been Hogan instead of Sam, and actually it was Pete, Sam's Bro, who made many more comments than Sam that Hogan was the USGA's "boy," and there would not have been nearly the uproar, nor would Jones have made the public comments that he did, which both Pete and Sam believed were influential from taking it from the sports page to the USGA's board room and the subsequent rule change.

Sam liked Jones though he found him "stuffy" and said numerous times that Jones "tolerated" Sam cuz of his green  jackets, though more so than any putting style, I believe that Sam's bawdy behavior and antics at the annual Champion's dinners and his "aww shucks," persona around Augusta, which Sam could turn on and off with the bat of an eye, was more influential in Jones' opinion of Sam. As far as how influential, who knows🤷🏼‍♂️

it's my impression that being in the cross hairs golf's anointed saint(Jones) along with the Tour's Iconic Poster boy, regardless of Hogan's age at the time, did nothing to help Sam's position. 

I hope that I answered your question though I can't give a definitive answer as I only had Sam and Pete's opinions to go on. FWIW, Pete felt more strongly than Sam that the Jones and Hogan were very influential if for no other reason than Jones' constantly bringing it up publicly.

All the Best BV👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

Doug sanders...

20 pga tour wins

13 top 5 finishes in majors

4 2nd places in majors...

he was an absolute gamer....won canadian open as an amateur

and his swing was allen doylesque....

yet he won 20 pga tournaments....

6CD83CDE-5285-4A8D-BD4E-E1D106DAC1E0.jpeg

• Like 2

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

I am going to disagree with Jim Furyk.  Who cares what his swing looked like - he found a way back to a square club face.  He worked within his given skill set.   He won a US OPEN as a direct result of hitting fairways, hitting greens and making putts. To me, that is achieving, not overachieving.   

And maybe our swings look weird to him?

The biggest overachiever - Greg Norman. 

Followed by Trevino, Spieth, Pavin and Weir.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1