I have demo'd the P790 and T200 two months ago. I preferred the feel of the T200 and the look of them at address. I spent about 20 minutes hitting them both and I had much better dispersion with the T200 and a club and a half longer than the P790.

Have the T200 for two months now and don't regret my decision. Actually, I wish I got 7-GW in the T100-S.

Honestly they are probably both good but I think I had more confidence with the look of the T200 at address and that led to more consistency and better strikes. Try them both out if the store near you allows in during Covid.

• Like 1

@bk3318 Thanks for the feedback! I hit the P790's at the club the other day. I need to go back to hit the T200's soon. On paper the thing I like better about the T200's is the loft degrees in the wedges. The 43 PW and 48 GW fit better with my Vokey 52 and 56 wedges as oppose to the P790's 45 PW and 50 GW. Since I absolutely love my 52 I hate to take it out of my bag. Once I hit the T200's I should be able to make a decision.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is an interesting duel to me. I much prefer the look of the T200 top line and overall size but haven't hit them.  How are the feel of the T200?   I feel I don't see that much love for them.  Only he T100/T100s I assume because they are forged.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Tested both with X100 shafts. Probably could game either but they go too far for me with average carry of 195 yards for both. Great irons for those who need fast faces to maximise distance.

T200 span 500rpm more, thinner topline more in line with 'players' look. Feel was worse, face felt faster, and the sound was louder and a little clickly. 

P790 felt more solid, more forgiving on strikes low on the face, ball flights were straigther (likely due to lower spin), tighter dispersion, but spin below 5000rpm so I would worry about holding greens. 

Edited by bombs

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

On 6/12/2020 at 5:13 AM, NHswing said:

@bk3318 Thanks for the feedback! I hit the P790's at the club the other day. I need to go back to hit the T200's soon. On paper the thing I like better about the T200's is the loft degrees in the wedges. The 43 PW and 48 GW fit better with my Vokey 52 and 56 wedges as oppose to the P790's 45 PW and 50 GW. Since I absolutely love my 52 I hate to take it out of my bag. Once I hit the T200's I should be able to make a decision.

A 50 degree P790 will blend perfectly into a 52 degree Vokey.

Don't worry about the loft gaps, the distances gaps should be ideal. One club is filled with tech, the other is a blade, it will work perfectly. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

when I did my iron fitting at TrueSpec earlier this year, the 790s just didn't spin enough for me, the T200s were the best fit.   Been pleased with mine.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 1:30 PM, NHswing said:

I finally made it to hit the T200 and love them. Ended up ordering the 4-GW and decided to get the TS3 driver. Excited for them to arrive next month so I can take them around the course.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:59 PM, datbigdog said:

Currently play the T200's and didn't get fit for them. Scored a screaming deal via Craigslist and pulled the trigger. Have been pretty happy with them so far. The tech is real.

Just looking for short term reviews with T200s......

• 5 months later...

I have played t100, t100-s, p790, and most recently tested some mizuno. The T100 seem sadly outdated diff wise, as normal people just have to accept they will not fly as far as any modern lofted iron... not a knock, but ego needs to be checked. sold them due to poor shaft choice... self fit. 

T100-S is what you expect and want from it, the T100 but slightly more modern distance... I did not hit it significantly further but half a club or so.  You get what you put in so they work the ball and are not unforgiving but not GI. I ended up selling as I just felt like other options helped my mishits more. They are trimmed down, less offset and more blade like than AP2. 

P790 has a weird place in my heart, they look amazing and fly very straight, like ungodly straight to the point I had to exaggerate cut swings to even get them to move. The just feel powerful, and they pretty much feel that way all over the face. This are not ball striker irons, they are swing hard and it will go straight. I really liked the ball flight compared and tested them head to head against T200. T200 kinda have a rainbow flight for me, while p790 flew strong and just kept rising flat. I do not have high spin, so decent angle is key and properly fit I have had no issue holding greens.  P790 soles are wide so I talked myself into getting back to thinner soles, and sold p790.  Trackman showed in 4 swings a 20 yd variance front to back and the longest was a pure strike, these are not the tightest front to back for most people. 

currently gaming T200 and the ball hold greens just fine, feel is solid when struck well but not particularly fast feeling. Offset is kinda funky looking to me but they go reasonably straight but can be worked a little. As with all Titleist the sole is perfection through the turf. I took this to my most recent fitting which was supposed to be for fun until I saw the results. 

Got on trackman to test some stuff for fun and Mizuno was the clear winner by a mile. Compared to my T200 I could hit the Hot Metal Pro almost a full club longer with tighter dispersion. Launch was lower but spin was within 100rpm of T200, both are arguably low but decent angle is high 45-50 area. I have played T200 multiple rounds and the all checks and spins well so seeing the same spin in HMP makes me think they will react the same. HMP felt nuclear hot but gave me tighter landing zones, and higher flight. Got to hit the demo iron in my specs yesterday at my range... 45 degrees and wind into, the HMP wa a carrying to the green I usually hit a 7 iron too. I am not selling T200 yet but ordered a set of HMP, as they are less than any other set out there. Very little offset and club head is similar in size and bulk to T200... feel is miles more powerful and even soft. Could work a bit but I felt like swing after swing went where the last went like on trackman. Didn’t check soles too closely side to side but mizuno lacks the Titleist complexity of Preston leading edge. Hoping they work out as I have a 6 week wait. 

Edited by drscott266

1 hour ago, drscott266 said:

I have played t100, t100-s, p790, and most recently tested some mizuno. The T100 seem sadly outdated diff wise, as normal people just have to accept they will not fly as far as any modern lofted iron... not a knock, but ego needs to be checked. sold them due to poor shaft choice... self fit. 

T100-S is what you expect and want from it, the T100 but slightly more modern distance... I did not hit it significantly further but half a club or so.  You get what you put in so they work the ball and are not unforgiving but not GI. I ended up selling as I just felt like other options helped my mishits more. They are trimmed down, less offset and more blade like than AP2. 

P790 has a weird place in my heart, they look amazing and fly very straight, like ungodly straight to the point I had to exaggerate cut swings to even get them to move. The just feel powerful, and they pretty much feel that way all over the face. This are not ball striker irons, they are swing hard and it will go straight. I really liked the ball flight compared and tested them head to head against T200. T200 kinda have a rainbow flight for me, while p790 flew strong and just kept rising flat. I do not have high spin, so decent angle is key and properly fit I have had no issue holding greens.  P790 soles are wide so I talked myself into getting back to thinner soles, and sold p790.  Trackman showed in 4 swings a 20 yd variance front to back and the longest was a pure strike, these are not the tightest front to back for most people. 

currently gaming T200 and the ball hold greens just fine, feel is solid when struck well but not particularly fast feeling. Offset is kinda funky looking to me but they go reasonably straight but can be worked a little. As with all Titleist the sole is perfection through the turf. I took this to my most recent fitting which was supposed to be for fun until I saw the results. 

Got on trackman to test some stuff for fun and Mizuno was the clear winner by a mile. Compared to my T200 I could hit the Hot Metal Pro almost a full club longer with tighter dispersion. Launch was lower but spin was within 100rpm of T200, both are arguably low but decent angle is high 45-50 area. I have played T200 multiple rounds and the all checks and spins well so seeing the same spin in HMP makes me think they will react the same. HMP felt nuclear hot but gave me tighter landing zones, and higher flight. Got to hit the demo iron in my specs yesterday at my range... 45 degrees and wind into, the HMP wa a carrying to the green I usually hit a 7 iron too. I am not selling T200 yet but ordered a set of HMP, as they are less than any other set out there. Very little offset and club head is similar in size and bulk to T200... feel is miles more powerful and even soft. Could work a bit but I felt like swing after swing went where the last went like on trackman. Didn’t check soles too closely side to side but mizuno lacks the Titleist complexity of Preston leading edge. Hoping they work out as I have a 6 week wait. 

HMP aren't available in lefty but T200s have been a dream .....yes flight is high but gets through the wind nicely.......and the turf interaction is magnificent...... biggest take is I have yet to see one ball go 10-15yds further than expected as I've seen with my friend who has 790s......that's the true measuring stick of irons .......consistent distance control far more important than total distance imho

44 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

HMP aren't available in lefty but T200s have been a dream .....yes flight is high but gets through the wind nicely.......and the turf interaction is magnificent...... biggest take is I have yet to see one ball go 10-15yds further than expected as I've seen with my friend who has 790s......that's the true measuring stick of irons .......consistent distance control far more important than total distance imho

Totally agree with you on the going through the wind, and I think they are more forgiving than t100 by a good bit.  I am waiting to see the Mizzy's, as a 22* 5 iron concerns me, but they were a relatively cheap experiment.  I also totally agree that irons should be the tightest dispersion, which the mizzy's surprisingly beat out my Titleist.  Bummed you cant try them in lefty, as a Titleist loyalist this was a hard move but its about playing better golf.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drscott266 said:

Totally agree with you on the going through the wind, and I think they are more forgiving than t100 by a good bit.  I am waiting to see the Mizzy's, as a 22* 5 iron concerns me, but they were a relatively cheap experiment.  I also totally agree that irons should be the tightest dispersion, which the mizzy's surprisingly beat out my Titleist.  Bummed you cant try them in lefty, as a Titleist loyalist this was a hard move but its about playing better golf.  

Good to hear that you found something better.....I looked at the 921SEL and man do they look fantastic......but I'm TOTALLY into the T200 irons....... I've gotten off the carousel as these do as much as any iron....

Came from Srixon combo Z785 7-pw and Z585 4-6.......they work very well but got put off by the feel difference between them.....small detail but just drove my OCD crazy. 

T200 or HMP ; it great to choices on size,  feel or flight! Enjoy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Good to hear that you found something better.....I looked at the 921SEL and man do they look fantastic......but I'm TOTALLY into the T200 irons....... I've gotten off the carousel as these do as much as any iron....

Came from Srixon combo Z785 7-pw and Z585 4-6.......they work very well but got put off by the feel difference between them.....small detail but just drove my OCD crazy. 

T200 or HMP ; it great to choices on size,  feel or flight! Enjoy

That issue of feel is ultimately what drives me crazy too, looks and feel is hard to find these days. I have finally decided that forgiveness is near the top of my list, looks then feel. I am half decent ball striker but it’s nice to have more room on the face to strike it and still hit the green. I think too much is made of hitting irons farther, but I am not that long so I am willing to try something longer if it lands soft enough. t200 are winners for sure, feel could be a little better but if you just stop hitting other clubs than you stop noticing little nitpicks like that... hahahaha 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

That issue of feel is ultimately what drives me crazy too, looks and feel is hard to find these days. I have finally decided that forgiveness is near the top of my list, looks then feel. I am half decent ball striker but it’s nice to have more room on the face to strike it and still hit the green. I think too much is made of hitting irons farther, but I am not that long so I am willing to try something longer if it lands soft enough. t200 are winners for sure, feel could be a little better but if you just stop hitting other clubs than you stop noticing little nitpicks like that... hahahaha 

My belief is it would be extremely hard to find a distance, forgiving iron that will feel as great as a one piece forged like the Z785.....i210 was/is very nice but bounce angle too much as it is with iblade .....i210 probably felt better than iblade to tell the truth......I gave up a smidge of feel with AP3 replacement T200 yes but at least the feel is consistent and when struck middle they aren't bad at all.....4-GW look n feel the same so I deal with it......I was actually after launch and spin at the same time and again the i210 would fill the slot but turf interaction wasn't as good as these with pre-worn beveled leading edge and lower bounce. 

Add in being lefty, my selection is far more limited than you wrongsiders😄😄😄

7 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

My belief is it would be extremely hard to find a distance, forgiving iron that will feel as great as a one piece forged like the Z785.....i210 was/is very nice but bounce angle too much as it is with iblade .....i210 probably felt better than iblade to tell the truth......I gave up a smidge of feel with AP3 replacement T200 yes but at least the feel is consistent and when struck middle they aren't bad at all.....4-GW look n feel the same so I deal with it......I was actually after launch and spin at the same time and again the i210 would fill the slot but turf interaction wasn't as good as these with pre-worn beveled leading edge and lower bounce. 

Add in being lefty, my selection is far more limited than you wrongsiders😄😄😄

There is just something about how Titleist bevels their leading edge, it might be that I have played it most of my life but it just glides through turf. Mizzy MP’s just stick for me, the TM’s were ok but so wide that they were hard to make shots with. T200 is literally perfect in that regard for launch and some extra speed in that package. I also like how they all fell mostly the same, that was something the AP3 never got right. Really curious to see the next generation, as the back of the T200 kinda looks goofy to me. Luckily I’ve matured enough to get over that as I grow up 🙂  I honestly think if I were lefty it would have possibly saved me a lot of money, just for the fact that I couldn’t buy as much. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

There is just something about how Titleist bevels their leading edge, it might be that I have played it most of my life but it just glides through turf. Mizzy MP’s just stick for me, the TM’s were ok but so wide that they were hard to make shots with. T200 is literally perfect in that regard for launch and some extra speed in that package. I also like how they all fell mostly the same, that was something the AP3 never got right. Really curious to see the next generation, as the back of the T200 kinda looks goofy to me. Luckily I’ve matured enough to get over that as I grow up 🙂  I honestly think if I were lefty it would have possibly saved me a lot of money, just for the fact that I couldn’t buy as much. 

Mizzy have been notorious for low bounce /sharp leading edge built for shallow swings.....especially the mp lineup.....T200 from the back definitely has a puffy presence but not a turn-off obviously....lol

7 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

Mizzy have been notorious for low bounce /sharp leading edge built for shallow swings.....especially the mp lineup.....T200 from the back definitely has a puffy presence but not a turn-off obviously....lol