Most Embarrassing Golf Confession

Jtalberda

What is everybody’s most embarrassing golf confession- a habit, a bad round, an errant shot....ready, go!

Personally, my most embarrassing shot was during a tournament. I had a long 3w shot into a par 5 and swung out of my shoes. I topped the ball so badly that it somehow ended up going backwards and hit my opponent. Later that round I ended up double bogeying a par 3 after a tee shot that ended up 10 feet below the hole. Embarrassing day!

I feel like I’m the worst 10 handicap on the planet, yet the best 15 handicap you ever played with (I’m currently a 10 index trending in the wrong direction). There are days when I honestly believe that I was better way back when I was a beginner and probably a 35 index. It’s probably not true, but I hit some of the worst shots you could imagine sometimes, even today. I especially hate playing like that when I’m playing with new guys, and it happens far more often than I’d like to admit.

Thats awesome!!!! I have literally seem that same thing happen

Friend of mine bladed a bunker shot and it went through an open screen door and into a house right next to the course!

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It wasn't awesome in the moment. It's a dogleg left, drive-able par 4. Trees guard the entire right side of the hole. I still don't know how the ball went through a forest to end up in this lady's kitchen. I guess it's true that trees are 80% air. Anyway, I went to the lady given everyone on the front side of the golf course could hear the distinct "crash" of the ball going through the large plate-glass window and apologized profusely. I called a contractor I know and asked him to meet me at the golf course. Which he thought was amusing given he doesn't play. I took him to meet this lady, asked him to repair the damage and send me the bill.

I may not have had to do that but, in my mind, it was the only thing to do other than apologize. The kids thought it was amazing though. They were reenacting the "explosion" in the back yard when I brought the contractor over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not mine but my buddy one time shanked his tee shot so hard, it ricocheted sideways off the wooden hole marker and flew into a wedding reception, was then picked up by a kid. We watched in tears as he shook down this poor 5 year old for his Pro V, I was embarrassed for him. What made it even funnier is before he hit his shot he said "shot of the year right here," cant make this stuff up.

• Haha 1
Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

I saw something similar happen years ago. A guy a fairway over had an electronic walking caddy cart. Something went a wrong with the controls because all of the sudden we hear "oh $hit, OH $hit...stop...!" while this guy is pushing buttons on the controls as his cart and bag dumped into a pond. His playing partners could barely stand they were laughing so hard, and man was he steamed trying to get his stuff out of a mucky pond. Absolutely hilarious to watch, not be a part of...lol.

• Like 3

Last year playing solo get to a short par 3. 4 some on the green wave me to hit. I proceed to shank my 8 iron. While they are still waiting on the green, I find my ball and shank my wedge. I pick up my bag and move on to the next hole, didn't even retrieve my ball. The walk of shame. I don't think I've ever shanked back to back shots ever before that. Embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

The most embarrassing incident happened to a good childhood friend. As kids we would be dropped off at the club each morning for a full day of golf and hijinx until our dads would pick us up in the late afternoon. Anyway, my friend fancied himself as the next Jack Nicklaus (this is the late 70's) so when he had a poor shot he tended to meltdown. We did not help the situation as we would goad him further. The incident in question still makes me laugh out loud 40+ yrs later. Buddy is 40 yrds out with a pond guarding the green, you see were this is going. He proceeds to chuck his shot into the pond and we begin to laugh. Well this sends him over the edge, in a moment of sheer 3 stooges comedy he throws his bag into the pond. But, he gets his arm caught up in the should strap and goes into the pond with his bag. By now we are literally pissing ourselves to the point none of us know what to do next. Will conclude, it was the last time he played that summer. If I did not see it would not have believed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

I shot a 78 in a tournament at my old home course a couple hours away and was feeling real happy with my game. Joined a course where I live now a couple weeks later and the 2nd round I played there was the first round of the club championship. Shot a 109. Going from a prairie course to a course lined with trees was a huge eye opener.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Well competing in a team event tournament final as a youngster. Last game is my game and Im playing like a golden boy against a much better player teams are tied and our game is the tie breaker. 18th hole we are tied and there is solid crowd watching, I hit the drive like 100yards to the right next to a old house, the ball is un hittable and I have to take penalty and faced with a blind shot over the house and then down hill towards the hole. The other guy is just save on the fairway and hit his second shot short of the green and had a crazy hard lob shot to save par.

I take my shot, full 7-Iron and bamn! Stick it to the pin! Saved par! My team, my friend and the crowd goes wild! I have won the game in my mind! I walk towards the green with the biggest smile of my life and see my mates celebrating and giving high fives....

The other guy lobs in the air and baskets the hole, easy birde and I cried a little bit and the crowd went nuts for him.

• Like 1

This reminds me. I played with a crick in my neck once, and realized after a few holes that it is impossible (at least to me) to play decent golf with a crick in your neck. Anyway, teeing off on this long tough par 4. Very few houses on this course, but one sits pretty far to the right on this one. I proceed with said crick in neck to pull my tee ball at least 45 degrees offline and it hits the side of this house dead on. Now I’m a 9 handicap at the time and was playing pretty decent golf. This house shouldn’t be remotely in play for me. Anyway, I drive up to the house hoping to God no-one is home. Well, you guessed it...a man and his wife run out and greet me and check on the damage, etc. I apologized profusely, promised I’d pay for whatever damage I caused. Fortunately the husband was cool about it and basically said “no worries, it’s all good...I’m a golfer too” and so I went on my way. But I didn’t recover at all from that shot the rest of the round. Not that it mattered because the crick in my neck made for an awful round anyway, but man was that embarrassing.

18th tee, slap-hooked a drive. Second bounce killed a duck instantly. Head shot.

I was playing with two women.

The other ducks in the group gathered around their fallen friend, letting out these persistent mournful, broken, desperate bellows.

Complete, crushing, inescapable disaster. Mortifying...

... if you take the par save out of the equation.

:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Playing in a 2 person scramble, missed a 1 foot downhill side hill tap in that lipped out and rolled about 10 feet down the slope....fortunately my partner made the come back putt.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

To be honest, I can't say I am ever embarrassed about a shot anymore. Not to say I don't make bad shots (I do - lots of them), but I have seen SO MANY crazy bad shots for very good players that I tend to just accept that bad shots happen, and for some of the sillier shots that happen, I just find funny rather than embarrassing if they are not in a competition.

Having said that, the most embarrassing shot I have seen was my brother in law. He not a very good golfer and gets nervous in front of other people. We went golfing and as luck turned out we got the last tee time before a Provincial Amateur Championship tee'd off for their first round. When we got to the first tee there was about 200 people around the tee box doing some sort of briefing/ opening ceremony. So we step up to tee off, and as they are all golfers, everyone goes quiet and holds of the briefing well we hit. I was 5ish cap at the time, but still nervous about this unexpected audience and recall thinking, 'don't hit it hard', just make smooth contact. That turned out to be a great swing thought as the adrenaline of the situation along with being 'smooth' resulting in me crushing it hard right down the middle. The crowd, even gave me some applause for the shot. Now my brother in law must have been feeling even more pressure and decided to just hit an iron to get off the tee and out of there. Swing 1. - misses the ball almost totally and it dribbles about a few feet 90*. Ouch. So he re-tee's and takes out driver (I guess thinking the larger club face might help). Swing 2. He sky shanks the ball almost 90* and it lands on the club house roof, rolls down to the patio and bounces on table spilling a beer. The guys on the patio were cool about it and laugh it off. Everyone kinds of chuckle politely in the gallery, but you could see if one was feeling for him including me - with I am sure just made it worse. He tries a 3rd time to hit a shot and completely whiffs. He then says quietly to me " can I just drop a ball by you?" of course I said yes. poor guy.

2-up through 14 in my club's match play semifinals. Had 25ft for birdie on the 15th and my opponent has 6ft for bogey. A simple 2-putt puts me 3-up with 3 to go.

4-putted for double bogey to lose the hole... Birdie putt left me with a 3ft downhill slider for par, tried to firm it and lipped it out, leaving myself 6 feet for bogey. Lipped that one out, too. We ended up all square through 18 and I thankfully I won the playoff hole with a birdie.

It's either that, or the time I bent over to read a putt and split my pants right down the arse crack in the middle of a charity scramble.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Many moon ago playing in the 2nd flight club championship. Playing a 15 yr old. First hole spilt the fairway, 2nd shot 10ft below the pin. Kid blows his drive 30 yds right over trees into the 2nd fairway. Im smacking my lips. His second shot he sticks 5 ft above the pin. Luckily he blows the bird putt flying by the hole and misses the come back. I par and swagger to the next tee. Didn't win another hole and I'm shut out on like 11. Embarrassing part, did I tell you I had a 10 yr old boy tagging along with me and when we were shut out he looks at me and saids "you embarrassed me old man".

All of yours were rookie mistakes .

Mine confession took place at Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex at Kampen Course near the 8th hole. Had eggs that morning 3 over easy , I believe. Well old dumba$$ me knows that sometimes eggs give me stomach problems. Playing the short 7th par 4 my stomach was churning and my cart buddy hit every bump on that hole. Got to the 8th tee, hit my tee shot and the next thing I feel is the urge to run to the closest clump of grass, pull my shorts down and let myself $hit all over the grassy knoll but I was just a little late. Had to leave my boxers there and head for the car to change my shorts and get a new pair of boxers. I skipped holes 8 and 9 but after clean up went back and played the back 9. I still laugh about it today.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Here's a beautiful story,

I was out in Arizona and playing the upscale course Troon North, and rented a set of clubs from the Pro Shop. The rental clubs were top-of-the-line I forget now what brand but they were, used of course, and had the usual scuff marks on the irons. My playing partner, who I did not know, had a brand new set of Titleist irons, and you might understand where the story's going now. About the fourth hole I drove the ball into the desert, and without thinking I pulled out a 4-iron to punch it out. I dug in pretty good and made a nice punch out back in play and put the club back in my bag. Well the next thing I hear is my playing partner complaining he's missing is 4 iron. As soon as he complained I knew what I had done, I used his brand new Titleist 4 iron out of the desert and put a monster scuff on the bottom. He was so pissed he wouldn't talk to me the rest of the round, even after I promised to buy him a new 4 iron. He had a beautiful set of clubs still except for the 4 iron which was scuffed to heck. At the time I felt like a complete rookie hack, embarrassed to no end at an upscale course, but these days I laugh about the situation and I'm almost glad I did it because he was one of those stuffed shirt type individuals then nobody likes to be around.

?

I was putting from somewhere near the fringe toward the center of the green on a Par-3 and at some point while my ball was rolling out towards the hole I hear the group behind us start to react to something...

...so I turn around and I see my ClicGear with my bag still attached floating down the creek behind me.

Lost a lot of balls on that hole--in one day!

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Most embarrassing: in a club tournament, missed a short putt, saw red and slammed at the ball. Gouged a chunk out of the green 6" from the hole. (I've learned to chill since then.)

Funniest: during a beer-infused round, I actually whiffed a fairway shot. I joked to my partner, "I can't do worse than that on this swing." Next swing: barely caught the top of the ball, which momentarily compressed into the turf before lazily flopping 6" backwards. (This is a true story; actually all of mine are true.)

Closest call: attempted to clear a cinderblock housing some 20 yards in front of me with a 3 wood. The instant after contact (I hadn't even finished my follow-through) I heard a sizzling noise go whizzing by my head. Probably missed me by less than a foot.

Most amazing: #7 at Pebble Beach, with a howling wind at my back: tried to hit a soft wedge. As soon as I hit it, I knew it was too much. I watched it disappear over the cliff behind the green...and a second later, re-appearing up in the air, towards me, and landing in the rough. Turns out I hit a very flat rock that was exposed during low tide. Of course, this didn't stop me from chunking my chip into the bunker, blasting out and 3-putting for a smooth triple.

You play long enough, you amass some stories...

St. Andrews Old Course hole #1! I was 27 at the time this was in 2007 I got so nervous on the tee box after they announced our group I got up there and duck hooked it almost up against the white fence coming up 18. I had to walk allllll the way over there with my caddie as ashamed as you could be. He tells me to grab a 5 iron and just get it back in the fairway of number 1. I tell him no give me 3 wood I am gonna lay up to the water. I hit at least 12" behind the ball and it advances about 15 yards. Walked up and did it again with same club but it probaly went 40 yards. Now i am on the left side of 1 and going to lay up to the water, I grab 5 iron and hozel it straight to the practice area on the right of 1 where there is a kid camp going on........Needless to say I take a 9 on hole 1 at The Old Course and have been the butt of every golf joke my buddies have told since!!