2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How adjustable drivers actually work. Everyone should be required to watch this to be allowed to pos

Albatross85

• 1 month later...

That info is on the chart. Well, lie angle certainly is. The draw or fade script on the chart should tell you it is opening and closing.

HE9HNL9NZN4A.jpeg

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Thanks for the response, Shilgy. I used the chart to adjust my fairway wood from A-1 to A-4 to increase the loft. Based on the chart, it looks like A-4 keeps the lie angle standard (assuming I'm reading it right). But when I swung the club this morning, it looked to me like that adjustment also changed the face angle toward a draw a little bit. Does that make sense?

This is the original Titleist Performance Matrix, which included another column on the right hand side.

The left hand column (Loft) is valid when the face is square at impact (and at address, if you hover the head in a square face orientation during your setup).

The right hand column (Face Angle) is valid when the head is soled at address and stays at that face orientation until impact.

So, @Brenkj, if you soled the head at address using the A-4 setting, then that explains why the face looked a little closed; however, the loft didn't change in that case.

D4KSIXPUCCOJ.jpg

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

Then why does lie change when adjustments are made?

You have to be more specific about what changes you're referring to. For the Titleist adapter and settings (which is what we're talking about now) all you have to do is look at the chart. Lie doesn't always change. Some adjustments just change loft/face angle, some other adjustments just change lie angle, and then there are some changes that can be made that will change both. But Brenkj was specifically asking about A1 to A4 - which doesn't change the lie angle.

I see what you’re saying now. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone help me out on what happens with the Ping G410 adapter. I understand the basics of what the video is saying, but I'm not sure of everything that happens with the adjustments depending on how I grip the club.

If I have it in the standard position and sole the club, I get standard loft.

If I set it to little (-), and grip the club so that the club face is square at address, then I have -1.0 loft and the lie angle is the unaffected according to the chart.

If I set it to (-) and sole the club and then grip the loft is not changed according to the video. In this case I assume the face would then be open and I've also changed the lie angle? In this case, how open is the face and what is the new lie angle?

image.png

First of all, the easy question to answer. Lie angle of the club has nothing to do with how you grip it.

Technically face angle and loft don't either. Face angle, static loft and effective loft don't change based on how you grip it. None of the head/club specs are really dependent on how you grip it. The face angle always changes when you adjust 'loft' on an adjustable hosel.

What a change in how you grip it MIGHT do is change how much that change in face angle effects your ball flight results. It may or it may not counteract the change in face angle in a way that also changes the final dynamic loft. But even all the talk about soling vs squaring the face at setup is still just a gross over simplification. Way too much can happen between setup and impact to make any such simplifications useful. Some people just more sensitive to face angle changes than others so trying to square up the face at address doesn't always work the same.

There is actually ONLY one way to figure what will happen for you and your swing. Go to the range, change the adapter setting and hit some balls. Just play around with the different settings and see what happens.

First, thanks for jumping in and answering my question.

What I meant when I was talking about gripping the club was if I take a neutral grip relative to my body...what is happening to the driver loft/lie/face angle depending on what setting the club is in. I understand that a strong/weak grip isn't going to change the loft/lie/face angle at address. I also understand that no matter what grip or setting I have the driver in at address isn't going to directly translate to a particular result at impact. The difference between address and impact is based entirely on my swing. I'm only trying to understand what the impacts of different settings on the driver have at address. I probably shouldn't have mentioned gripping the club at all because it is probably misleading as to what I am really trying to ask.

My understanding is the following:

1) If I sole the club, I am going to get the loft printed on the bottom of the driver regardless of what setting it is in. Is this correct?

2) If I want to make a loft adjustment, then I have to set the adapter for the loft I want and keep the face square to my target line.

I already answered those questions, but let me try again.

When I was referring to the grip not changing the club specs, I meant that to include anything and everything you might do at address. Static loft, effective loft, face angle, and lie angle are all measured on a machine with the club set-up in a very specific position depending on the measurement. What you do with it after they take it off the measuring device and what you do at address doesn't change any of those numbers. The true club specs have nothing to do with how the club is used.

So what that means is that when people are asking about how things can change or ask what they really "get", they are really only talking about what they get at impact - the dynamic loft. And when discussing the question of whether the hosel adjustment results in a face angle vs loft change, it mostly comes down to what you end up getting at impact as far as the face orientation ends up being relative to club path. If you square up the face to path the same at impact, you get the change to the launch angle (or dynamic loft). If you don't, you get a change in shot shape or a combination of the two.

Now, how you set-up certainly can effect what you get at impact but the problems is that for most it's not nearly as predictable as people try to make it seem in this thread. There are too many other things that can (very commonly) influence it as well even when the adjustment seems as simple as squaring up the face. So it's just not a simple question to answer.

So for both 1) and 2) the answer is the same. For some people those statements will be correct, for other people they will not. Which of course is one of the main reasons it's such a confusing question to find a useful answer to when search through the threads.

If you want to find out whether they are correct or not for you and your swing, go try the different options on the range and see what happens to the ball flight. That's the only way to really know what will happen.

But as an aside, my advice would be to forget about changing what you do at address. The swing is hard enough to learn and make changes to. If you've spent years setting up a certain way, you're almost always going to be better off continuing to setup that same way. That means when you go to the range and test different settings there are two possibilities

1) if the "loft" changes result in more of a change in shot shape or starting line, then you need to think of the adjustment as a face angle change. If you need a loft change, then it means getting a head with a different stamped loft.

2) If you see more of a launch angle change and no issues with shot shape or start line, then you can think of the adjustment as a loft adjustment.

• Like 1

Someone more expert than me may chime in, and there are many more posts on this in the thread, but I'll give it one more shot that is as much as I can add.

"Reducing loft" on the adaptor is just making a more open face angle change. Opposite for the "increased loft" setting.

The change you made to reposition the relationship of the shaft in the adaptor results in a loft change only if you deliver the head square AT IMPACT. Some folks can achieve this by how they deliver the club to the ball to offset the head being open or closed. Some will not ground the club and square it with the hands at address. But just because you stsrt the club square at address (or open, or closed) doiesn't mean you will necessarily get to square at impact.

I play my G410 driver now at the standard setting and try to keep it square (usually) at address. Does that mean I always return it square at impact? I wish.

One more thing...it's my anecdotal opininion that sometimes certain clubs will tend to open or close more than the adjustment setting would suggest. Maybe its how the CG in the head or tortion of the shaft slightly changes in that position. Or...maybe it's just psycholgical...if one plays a club slightly open perhaps we just work a bit more to turn it over. We aren't Iron Byrons.

yeah of course but that doesn´t have anything with how the golf club is setup just your swing. But okay I can no longer rest the club on the ground but am still supposed to adress the ball with a straight face and then I will get the loft change. I am actually not supposed to hit the ball somewhere before or after the middle of my swing to get the straightness that way :p

Wonder if that is why some of my new grips on my pings fw for example no longer show the lines to show that I have the face straight as you are supposed to visually square the head before striking.

Almighty confusing hope I never feel the need to adjust my sim max lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this!

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

The point Stuart is making is that address does not always equal impact. HOWEVER, altering from your NORMAL grip to something which closes or opens the face of the club WILL affect what you have at impact most of the time. YMMV!

In Tom's video, he is explaining the difference in the traditional clubhead measurement process and what OEMs seemed to be relating to at the start of the whole adjustable hosel era. Stuart's point is even though a specific thing is happening with the club adjustment, it may not give you what you expect to get.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize