2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Thinking of trying a hybrid and could use input

golfinbrad

My current setup is 4 iron (KBS Tour S+) - 2 driving iron (VS Proto Blue 100x) - 3 wood (HZRDUS Smoke 6.5). I hit my irons well and the 3 wood is a keeper. I do hit my DI slightly further than my 4 iron, but significant difference in accuracy. The dispersion almost negates the extra couple of yards. I love the feel and looks if the DI, but right now have little confidence. I have been using it 6 seasons, so the honeymoon phase is long gone. I don't want to go back to a 3 iron and think 5 wood would be less versatile, so left to the hybrids. I pretty much have it narrowed to 2 (Tour Exotics CBX119 or Bridgestone Tour B XD). Here are my questions:

Anyone see a significant pro or con with either hybrids? Should I stick with HZRDUS in those or try something a little higher launch for hitting into greens like Even Flow Blue or KBS Proto Hybrid? You think maybe another shaft in my DI? Maybe something in the 80-90 gram range?I hit my 4 iron 210 and my 3 wood 255, so would like to get something in the 220-225 for both off the tee and into greens. Again any thoughts or input would be great. I haven't touched a hybrid in almost 15 years and can tell the are much better now.

If you are having dispersion issues with the DI, than I would consider a hybrid. Usually, people that dislike hybrids have dispersion issues, especially to the left and the DI is a more reliable straight line club, although way more punishing distance wise on mishits. But a 15 yard short but straight mishit is better than a snap hook mishit. But if you are hitting the DI all over the place, you have nothing to lose. And will likely gain more distance, more reliable distance, a higher flight, a bit more spin to hold greens.

The shaft is personal. How do you use your DI now and how do you plan on using the hybrid? If it is mostly a tee club, or used to advance the ball on long par 5s, than a lower launching shaft is fine. If you are trying to hold greens into par 5s, than you may want that extra launch and spin.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Totally get what your are saying and think it's worth a shot. I use DI off tee and into greens. The one course I play has several par 3s over 200. Depending on weather will is it there. Not just looking for a straight tee club. Kind of why I was thing EF Blue and KBS Proto. I get along with HZRDUS and have hit the EF Blue. Figured I would get little less distance with softer landing. KBS is supposed to be mid mid and close to KBS Tours and have those in the irons.

Input much appreciated. Any input on Tour Exotics CBX or Bridgestone? Both supposed to anti or less left.

I don't have any input on the 2 you posted but I just started bagging a Sim 3 hybrid and it is excellent. Anti left for sure, and very long. Perhaps you look at that or the 4 hybrid? I was anti hybrid for a long time, always had a 2 iron, then I got this and it changed my mind. Ask DJ he loves his.

Not familiar at all with Bridgestone hybrids. I'll let others chime in there, but tour edge, in the pro models especiialy, have a a long standing run of hybrids that sit a little more open the most and are on the more compact side that suit better players quite well. Stock shaft is EFB as well on the CBX119. Callaway Apex is another favorite that alot of people besides me will vouch for.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

You raise a good point. My 4 iron is 23*. I'm looking for about at least 10 yards or closer to 15 yards more than my 4i. I get there is some guess work here, but do you think a 21*? I was thinking 18*-19*, but thinking that might create too big a gap.

Tour Edge has a great reputation and can be had pretty cheap for some reason. Figured that would be a good option. I will take a look at the Callaway. Haven't owned a Callaway club since the Big Bertha strong 3 wood. Wish I still had that one!!!!

21 degree hybrid might go longer than the same loft four iron, because of longer shaft length and higher ball flight, but not necessarily 15 yards (but maybe...). My experience has usually been to have my hybrid be about 2 degrees stronger than my longest iron for good gaping. Then moving to your fairway woods, I've found that an equivalent lofted fairway wood will go 10-15 yards farther than that same lofted hybrid.

Stealth+ Driver, Hzrdus Black Gen4 60

Stealth+ 3W, Hzrdus Black Gen4 70

PXG Gen6 5W, Hzrdus Black Gen4 70

Titleist U505 4 iron, Hzrdus Black RDX Smoke 90

Mizuno Pro 223 5-P, Nippon Modus 105

Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 60M, S200

Jailbird 380 White Hot

According to Tour Edge reps, the CBX hybrid lines are designed to be "left-proof." The heads have square faces with minimal offset. The CBX119 stock shafts include Hzrdus Black and EvenFlow.

Maybe an 18* or a 19* would work. If you went with a slightly higher launching shaft, as suggested it would hold greens better... plus, it might give you better distance out of the rough (this assumes you sometimes land in the rough...)

Do you use the 3W off tee on tight holes, or would you likely use the hybrid?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I enjoy hitting my u510. It’s a utility iron but I consider it more of a hybrid. Looks like a chunky ugly iron but flies high and straight with a tad of workability. I got it with the HZRDUS Smoke shaft to get my launch I wanted.

Sim Max 9° HC Hzrdus Yellow/TourAD IZ

TSi2 4 wood @ 18°

Geom Moe Irons  29° 37° 45°

Edel 55°
Scotty California Monterey

all irons & wedge in kbs c-taper lite

Golf Instagram: @MinimalistGolfClub

I’ve no experience with the 2 the OP mentioned.

I’m an H2 user in 21 degree with after my 24 degree 4 iron. I play it 1” short with a UST Irod 105F5.

A point that hasn’t been mentioned is the weight cartridge. I replaced mine with a heavier DIY cartridge (ally tube, stuffing and tungsten powder. Put the swing weight back up to where I wanted it after shortening the shaft.

Key to me is heavier and stiffer shaft with a more iron type head. Takes the left side out unless you REALLY try!

There are plenty of these out there in amazing condition and you’ll have no trouble selling it should you not get on with it.

On tight holes I would probably prefer the hybrid if the yardage works out. Right now there is a 40+ gap between 3w and 4i. I might use my DI,but it is a roll of the dice. Don't like that feeling. I also play a course with several par 3s over 200. Depending on conditions the hybrids would be used there as well.

Tour Edge seems to check the boxes, but the weight port is a good point. Based on that Titleist, Cobra and Callaway seem to have the that and can be had fairly reasonable. That could help dial in the feel and distance as well. What's the difference between the H1 and H2? H1 more workable?

I'll take a look at u510 and see what it looks like. Not familiar with that one

Awesome info!!!! Appreciate the pics. Based on what you said and the pic, the H1 is probably more what I'm looking for. The H2 looks close to DI so not sure that will be much of a change.

One more question. I agree with what you are saying about working the ball with irons. I see the H1 is a 21*. Can you ball park how much further you the hybrids than you 4 iron? Thinking a 21* might be a better gap than 18*.

I would agree. I was never a Titleist fan, but the 818 that Tar Heel 93 mentioned above has peaked my interest. I do like the idea of the adjustable weight.

I have the Cobra F8+ driver and old F6 3 wood. Love the 3 wood. I would probably consider the F8 or F9 as well, but hard to find the exact one I'm looking for. I haven't gotten a lot of good feedback on this. Now I just need to make a decision and pull the trigger.

I think the choice about which hybrid to use is mostly how it sets up. I fight a hook so I like the face to be open to square plus I don't like the top faceline to be to the right of the hosel line. The one I use actually looks like a PT-15. As far as height goes my 2i hybrid has the same shaft as my irons yet hits the ball higher than my 5 iron.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I can't speak about the Bridgestone or the TEE, but I can about some hybrid shaft experiences and also 818H1 vs 818H2.

First, I will say that for me personally, the 818H1 is my favorite hybrid ever. This is the first hybrid my eye wandered, but came back into my bag. I have gamed Adams Idea Pro Gold for quite a few years (with VS Proto shaft, I see you use that as well in your DI) and it was the gold standard in hybrids for me. Honestly, I probably should have kept them and still game them. From there I tried Titleist 816H2 (didn't love); Callaway Apex (original) and thought were pretty ok; Taylor Made M1 (2017) and really enjoyed it. So of course I tinkered more and purchased Titlesist 818H2 and never really got along with them. Tried 818H1 due to getting a good deal and fell in love. Gamed for a year and a half. Got a good deal on a Callaway Apex '19 and gamed it for a dozen+ rounds this summer. Did not like it. 818H1 back in the bag, lesson learned. I play a 21* turned down to a 20.75* For me it gaps well between 3w and 4i. At the price you can get them right now, try it out.

As for shafts. If you like the HZRDUS line, I would recommend for hybrids, if a low bullet is your desire. I personally would stay away from EvenFlow Blue, I find it a bit soft and inconsistent. I have had good results with Fuji Speeder Motore (very similar to Atmos), and the Tensei series. I currently have a AD-IZ Hybrid and it's the best of all worlds. Low enough not to balloon, high enough to hold greens. The smooth feel profile makes less than full hybrid shots feel natural. The Speeder Motore for me was more of a stable / full swing shaft, it didn't respond to touch shots as well.

Just my .02, hope it helps.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Good summary on the 818. Seems to back up what I've read on it. Says a lot if you dropped and put it back in. At least you didn't sell it first!!!!

Tour Edge has a great reputation. Interesting why they haven't went adjustable. If nothing else a weight port for a little fine tuning. My only hesitation is if I don't like the shaft and glue another. Not a big deal, but I have gotten spoiled with the screw.

I see a decision and purchase happening by the weekend.

I want to thank everyone for their information and opinions. The Titleist 818 has gotten a lot of praise. I never even gave Titleist hybrids a thought when I started my search. After seeing the picks, liking the looks, adjustability, positive words and price, I did make the buy. Hopefully it will arrive early next week to give it a try. I found a 19* with a solid shaft. Loft is a little lower, but I can increase it 2*. If I like the clue and not he shaft I can also get a HRZDUS. If the hybrid doesn't work, I will go back to the DI and start messing with other shafts. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Excellent! I used to game the 19* and 21* 818 H1. The 19* was the first to kick the 818H2 out of the bag. Just so easy to hit. Eventually replaced both with 818H1. Currently only game the 21 turned down due to changing wedges at the bottom of the bag. The 19* 818 H1 is still plenty versatile. You will be fine off the tee and fairway with it.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH