2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone hitting it 300yd+ using a stiff shaft?

ebibler

Weird question I know!! I’ve been getting up to the tee lately and haven’t the slightest clue where my next drive is going. I have always played an X flex with a nice tight draw but this year I seem to be hanging shots to the right(probably my hands or my swing but.......lol) I currently play an F9 with the Atmos in X, it hits bombs but they are useless unless I can control them. I’m normally around 3 Bills off the tee, any chance a Stiff flex would help? My town has zero options for fitting so I come to you guys for help!!! Thanks.

I can hit a stiff shaft 300 yards and have done so before... I’ve also hit extra stiff shafts that I couldn’t load... I’d worry less about the letter on the shaft and more about the performance on the course.

you can’t get fit, so what shafts have you tried and liked? Do you have any options to try different things? Any idea what sort of profile you like?

whats the best feeling shaft you’ve ever hit?

personally, I’ve always gotten along with aldila shafts... They tend to load well for me.

plenty of good cheap shafts on eBay and here... I’d suggest tinkering with weight as well. I hit heavier shafts significantly better.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

All else being equal, and assuming a sound swing with some proper technique... a staff that is too stiff should result in a miss to the right (fade or slice), and a staff that is not stiff enough should result in a miss left (draw or hook). Of course, its not that simple - different shaft profiles can match different swing profiles, so if the Atmos is a new shaft it may just not be a fit for your swing. Or as @Jc0 says, the shaft may be too light for you.
But if you were already playing this shaft, and drawing ball, then I suspect technique or setup is to blame. Of course, without video its hard to determine further than that. And the typical response in these forums (get a lesson or get fit) does apply.
But to answer your question directly, yes you can hit 300+ yard drives with a stiff shaft. I have 2 different drivers I rotate between (Titleist TS4 9.5 with Hzrdus Smoke Black 60, and Titleist 917D2 10.5 with Aldila Tour Green 65). Both are stiff shafts. I used both on Sunday (the TS4 fades and the 917D2 draws), and went over 300 with each during the round.
But they fit my swing, transition, release etc. The answer for you may not be as simple as "switch from x flex to stiff" - I really think the concept of shaft profile fitting with swing profile is applicable here.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Yes i have hit it into a reputable trackman or other LM multiple times 300+ using a stiff shaft.

That being said, it is usually an 80G shaft.

If i wanted to use a 60G shaft i would play X

My SS is probably around 112 ~ right now

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

never thought of this. is there an inherent hindrance in swing speed vs shaft flex?

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I’m sure it’s my swing but I want to tinker to find something that will find some fairways!! I think I swing too hard for Stiff but I did like the comment of Shafts that load different. I really have no clue by judging my swing but maybe a few lower price shafts are in my future. How about the SZ Extreme, could help me out as I see it’s a bit more forgiving!!

I'm not sure how good torque is to use as a purchase point, but any torque 2.7 to 3.1 is usable in a driver for me. Whether it is stiff or x-stiff doesn't matter to me if the torque is inside those numbers. Generally, the heavier shafts have lower torque.

There's nothing in the rule book that says you can't play drunk.

I currently play a Speeder Motore 7.1 in stiff, swing speed is measured at 117 mph (gc quad). I like the feel of this shaft but am prone to left and right misses

I got fit in to a Taylormade Sim Proforce V2 x stiff shaft, I'm not much of a shaft geek, the ball flight certainly seemed more stable & the left / right misses were reduced.

I'm picking it up tonight so I'll get it on the course this week to test it & compare with the old driver

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

I'm in the same boat as you. Had a 2016 430 m1 with axivcore green x that I could carry 295+ easy but my dispersion was trash.

Bought a g400 with tensei blue and it has been a life saver. 280ish carry but my dispersion is wayyyyyyyy better. I can miss the ball on the toe or heel and the ball still finds the fairway. Brutal miss hits with the 430 m2

It's hard to score when you're in the trees. Ask me how I know lol

You mention hitting a baby draw. Was that WITH the F9 last year ?

I got decent distance with the F9 but played the Army way (left, right, left, right). Little control with it and certainly not my attempted baby draw.

So if you hit it the way you wanted to last year, you need to figure out what's changed. Surely something small. Maybe your grip has gotten a bit weak ? A stiffer and/or heavier head I would think might tend to straighten the ball out, not help turn it over. But then everybody's different.

Anywho, I have tried the SZ Extreme and it is definitely more forgiving and easier for me to control than the F9 was. And not a whole lot higher spin rate than the "regular" SZ. Still not quite directionally great (for me) but definitely better. FWIW I believe Rickie is using the Extreme, not the "regular" SZ.

I tried all of the drivers last year and the Epic Flash Sub Zero and the Honma that Rose was using were the "finalists". I chose the EFSZ with a Hzrdus Yellow as it was a bit more consistent for me. Great flight, baby draw and very consistent. And surprisingly I find it a very forgiving head as well.

Good luck.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Is it because you are a tree and have seen first hand many shots?

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I've gamed S Flex shafts in the past with good results. As others mentioned, it really comes down to the shaft. Stout Aldila and Fuji tend to work in S for me. PX Evenflow White in 6.0 has also worked. Currently game Tour AD-IZ 7X or Tour AD-TP 7X. My SS hovers in the 110-113 range. I was having control issues earlier in the year, but it turned out to be an address / alignment issue that ever so slowly crept into my swing. I since corrected it and back to high baby draws. I think Atmos generally play pretty true to flex. Is is a Blue or Black? What's the weight? I gamed a G400 with an Atmos 6X Blue a couple years ago and it was very similar in performance to other mid launch /low-mid spin shafts I've played in the past. It's a stable and tight shaft IMO.

I know it's not the WRX answer, but maybe try to get a lesson or a tune up. Swing errors can slowly creep in. If you used to hit it fine, it's probably more on you than the shaft.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X

Ping Blueprint S, 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I would go for a fitting. I have been in that 280+ range with numerous 300+ drives in a round for a long time. When I started playing with equipment years ago, I was fortunate that I won a set of TT/Grafalloy shafts in a silent auction. I could pick 14 of whatever I wanted. This was probably 05 or 06 and I played around with PL Red, PL Blue, Blue, that Blue one they came out with that had some kind of nanotubes or something in it. I got some X and some S. I had always hit S in the past. I found that X flex, low launch, low torque, tip stiff shafts are my things. I tend to get too aggressive and quick with my tempo and these seem to help. I am 49 now and experimented with an S flex PL Red earlier this year and hated it. Too spinny and didn't like how it loaded.

I am sure in the next few years I may have to change that, but X flex still keeps me in play and I am still getting it out there. Has been a while since my SS was checked, but I would guess between 105 and 110 most of the time with the driver. I am sure I have lost a few.

As others have said, it really depends on how you load the shaft and what feel you like. If you can do a driver fitting somewhere and hit a bunch of shafts, I bet you will dial in to a certain type of shaft that fits. I am playing an Xcalibur TS6+ TS at 44" right now on a Maltby STW 10 degree head that I added several pieces of lead tape too. So, I am sure this plays slightly more flexible than if at 45" with no lead tape. It works for me and the launch looks great. You have to experiment to find what works.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Lots of great answers already. Not a weird question at all. At your CHS, you will need a shaft that performs AND feels right. The rule of thumb has always been to play the most flexible shaft you feel you can control. I no longer swing that fast, but did only a decade or so ago. I personally like shafts with a mid to high bend point, but frequency around 265-270 and a torque rating less than 3*. One of my all time favorite shafts is the Proforce V2 75 in S. The new one is just as good as the old one IMHO. I have one in my LTD Pro and was flying the end of the range (265y) here in Boston last week. Nice tight shaft that will take anything you throw at it. Best thing is, they can be had brand spankin' new for a fraction of what most other shafts go for today.https://www.golfworks.com/ust-mamiya-proforce-v2-black-graphite-wood-shafts/p/us0117/

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I’ve hit it 329 yards with regular flex. Courtesy of a hill. Most are 283-287 yards on gps. I’m 564’ over sea level here in Ohio.

Regardless, flex is meaningless. Weight, bend profile and kick point are what matter. Flex has very little affect on performance on a robot. Flex can change your feel which can affect how you swing the club though

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

It's all about swing mechanics and technology. Mind you, I am way north of 60yrs old and still hitting biggies now-and-again, thanks to Ventus Red 5 (59g) stiff mid-high bend shaft and ProV1 ball technology.

A few weeks back I hit a Biggy from an elevated long Par 4 tee that reached nearly 300yds. I actually out drove my 50 something buddy who hits it good. I wasn't doing that or even averaging 250+ with my prior HZRDUS 6.0 shaft. The more I hit it the more I am seeing surprising results. At first I wrote declining distance off to my age, but then decided to cough up the $$$ for Ventus in driver and went with an ultra-lite profile and stiff handle for the first time. Sure glad I did. Turns out some shaft technologies make an amazing difference while others are just there. Even my not so good drivers are as long as with my prior shaft.

If you have no idea where the ball is going, sounds like swing mechanics are a bit wonky and or "X" and or heavier weight shaft may have become problematic. I don't believe X is the problem as much as maybe the shaft weight combined with X profile. Try a lighter mid 60s weight shaft in X.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

One of my playing partners hits a 910 d3 with the stock made for 72s ahina. Plays to a 3 handicap Doesn't care about shaft flexes or weight, just kills it. 174mph ballspeed with this thing. Also still plays a vsteel spoon with an 75g nv, no problem carrying the spoon 265. Going on ten years with that driver and 22years with the spoon.

• Like 1