Yet another iron shaft question

jtravisdavid

I live in an area where there are no good club fitting options nearby. I'm late 30's in age, a 4 handicap, pretty consistent all around game. I hit a 6 iron about 180. Driver about 280. I am looking to dial in my iron shafts but have struggled getting them "just right." I have played various Mizuno MP cavity back irons over the years. I grew up playing S300 shafts in the 1990s, then tried KBS Tour (stiff flex) in my MP 53 irons few years ago. I'm more of a smooth swinger and really liked the trajectory of the long irons, but I could never get used to how "active" they felt, especially on punch shots into the wind.

I went back to Sensicore S300s for some time, then, still wanting more trajectory in my long irons, I tried out modus 120s (stiff shafts) for a year or so and hit them pretty well. I like how they feel when swinging, but they just don't feel sweet at impact. I got a hankering for that old Dynamic Gold feel at impact and tried out the AMT S300s, and hit the 7-PW well but can hardly get the 4&5 irons in the air. They feel super boardy and stiff and I just can't get confident hitting them. Obviously a totally different profile than the modus 120s. For some reason I feel like the AMTs feel stiffer than normal S300s in the long irons. Any suggestions what I should try out? Thanks for your suggestions.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm sure you know, shafts are really hard to recommend. You've really got to try 'em.

FWIW, I only hit my 6 iron about 160 and use DG S300.

I can't imagine, with your swing speed, you have that much trouble with your 4 & 5 irons.

There's a reason why DGs have stood the test of time.

Good luck in your search.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Sorry to say but if you can't get along with the AMT, which is a pretty friendly shaft, then I think it's a problem you might want to address via your mechanics which will obviously have a much more profound effect on ball-flight then any single piece of equipment.

I know all about the heft of DGs but when I transitioned to the S300 AMT version I saw a noticeable improvement in the long-iron ball-flight. So they definitely work for getting the ball up higher. I guess I can wrap my head around the 130g version feeling a little more slithery though. Sometimes weight will do that. It's not uncommon to feel the bending a little more clearly in a heavy shaft but that heaviness will ensure a low ball-flight even when you might feel more bending.

But rest assured the AMT definitely launches higher so if you're not seeing it in the actual ball-flight, that's a problem and you might have a more serious swing issue to work on (considering you don't suffer for power). Then again, IDK, how solidly are you actually striking those longer irons? Are you looking at healthy strikes or some sort of weak fade?

There might still be some shaft alternatives but you've already tried a couple obvious options. KBS does feel active and they do launch high. You're right about that. There's still Project X. I think you'd like those. But Project X is still in the 120g neighborhood and weight is going to drive ball-flight so the AMT shouldn't be harder to launch when they're in fact lighter in the long irons (~110g). One good option might be the Project X PXi versions which are ~110g.

If you want to find a shaft alternative to address it you need to look at something lightweight. What makes a DG or a KBS C-Taper so hard to launch is that they weigh so much. Maybe consider dipping down to a 90g or 100g shaft if you really want to see a spike in ball-flight. You might go with the X-flex version so you can maintain the perception of stiffness.

Remember, flex is all about perception. Weight drives the actual ball-flight.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I wouldn't say they are consistently solid strikes. I'd say the long irons are more of a "weak fade." I mean, at the end of the day obviously its some sort of swing issue but I honestly feel like my mechanics are better than most...I have provided a link below to my swing if you want to take a look...To me it kind of feels like the AMT version of DG requires a different swing on the long irons in order to "activate" the flex. https://photos.app.goo.gl/BmizVbAAfdXrq8f67

IMO a 4 hc shouldn't fix what isn't broken. I would look at other cavity back clubs and possibly a lighter shaft like the DG115 and failing that look at hybrids which all things being equal will hit the ball much higher. A recent tour winner has 5 and 4 hybrids. I fight a hook and never thought about trying one until I saw a 15 degree(16 really) one that looked like a PT-15 with the face slightly open. I hit it father than my 2 iron and a lot higher than I ever hit it with the same shaft, an X100. In fact I hit it higher than I hit my 5 iron, unbelievable! It didn't go left either. I attribute that to the face being square or open. BTW, I just changed my old blade CB's for a newer similar version but with more weight on the bottom because I like you want to hit it higher.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the $ Taper 120 suggestion. Just shot my personal best score - 69 - with them on only my second round out with them. Feel at impact is excellent and the club releases well for my swing. Long irons launch perfectly and are flying 5-10 yards further. My only nitpick is the PW has a slight tendency to launch high and right for me, but I am still getting used to them. Probably just a little timing issue.

Off the wall suggestion, but, if you like the feel of the dynamic gold shafts, try some r300s.

I am a decent player with several sub par rounds under my belt. I'm not what I would consider a high swing speed player, but driver can get up near 115 and 6 irons in the low to mid 90s. Mizuno Shaft Optimizer consistently spits out KBS Tour 130x, DGX100, and PX 6.5 as my "top" options.

I switched to KBS Tour 130x several years ago after playing s300 for years and had awesome results. Significant increase in distance, better consistency. I was an "extra stiff flex" guy and played pretty well with them!

Almost by accident, however, I picked up a driver with a regular flex shaft a few years back. Hammered it. Tried some regular flex iron shafts, too. Shot my lowest round of the year. Ever since, I've always tinkered going back and forth between X and R.

Well, this summer, I've been playing good golf (for me). Driving is good, irons and wedges great, even putter is solid at the moment, but I picked up a nagging case of golfers elbow a couple of weeks back that I attribute to the iron shafts. It's been bad.

To "rest" my arm, I threw a set of dgr400 shafts in the irons. If I was playing good (for me) golf before, I am now playing GREAT golf with these irons. Feels like a never miss the center of the face, distance and distance control is better than ever, the variety of shots I can play has increased. And, I am scoring!

Point is, if the shafts you "should" be using aren't getting it done for you, think outside the box and try some shafts that might not appear to fit on paper. I have never had a fitter recommend a regular flex. Heck, I went to a highly coveted fitting complex at one point and was put in x-stiff across the bag. But, for me, tour weight regular flex seems to help me play my best.

Try it. You might find gold!

I went from a px 5.5 to a 6.0 and then tried to find a new set and couldnt find one. I ended up getting a set of Flighted...and have been stuck on them since!

It has brought control to my shorter irons and my 4 and 5 iron height is amazing. I SSX1 so I can carry the 3-P set 4-GW.

I keep trying to find replacements, including a could weeks ago with some 120x Modus 3...after 1 round pulled out for a set of PX Flighted.

Ping g430 LST Hulk Green
Ping g430 LST 3w ventus Red
TSR2 5w Kai'Li White

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR HB

Mizuno HMP 6-pw i110 Steelfiber

CBX 48
RTX6 54/59 DG
LAB MEZZ.1 Max Accra Shaft

Bridgestone Tour B XS