2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ร—

PXG Hybrids......talk about your experiences

af592

@eRod v1.0 I don't exactly have the time or place to get fit right now, and TBH, none of the PXG-esque fitting places near me have a 4H head, they all fit off 3H. My gap here is between 19* 5W and 25* 5i
I'm curious why you said 25*. I was thinking of getting the 22* and then tinkering with either 22* or 23* setting to find the right one, though TBH, at that point, 1 degree makes no difference.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 3 Hybridย Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

TaylorMade Spider X

ย 

I checked my ego at the door last year when I put the 5 wood in the bag. After one round I regret not doing it sooner. The 4 hybrid is appearing to be the same. I have a head and shaft combo that works.

I am ten years your senior and I realize I am not getting younger and with kids I donโ€™t have excess time to practice. If I can make my weekly 18 more enjoyable by adding an easier to hit club I am going to do it.

You are correct about all of the head covers. The 5 and 6 iron can get lost in the bag.

• Like 1

No real reason, just thinking if you are worried that the 22ยฐ goes too far, then maybe go 25ยฐ and loft down.

• Like 1

PXG 0311 Tour-1 10.5ยฐ - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15ยฐ - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18ยฐ - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22ยฐ - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 49ยฐ (50ยฐ)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 53ยฐ (54ยฐ)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 58ยฐ
LAB DF3 - Accra Black

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

@eRod v1.0 id probably go 22 turned up to 23 to gap nicely with the 5i at 25.
I was just on a range after a not well played, multiple beer round, and there was a Callaway demo setup. Grabbed their Mavrik standard 4H which was just so easy to elevate and hit in the air.
for those of you with the gen2, was there any other hybrid that you looked at? Specifically asking about SIM, Mavrik pro, and apex?

TaylorMade Spider X

I was playing a Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid with fitted KBS Tour Proto 65 hybrid shaft, and then picked up Mavrik Max 4 and 5 hybrids with a similar KBS Hybrid 70 shaft. Also hit the standard Mavrik with the same shaft, but felt more consistency with the Max. In any event, out on the course, with any of those hybrids, it was up to the old hybrid tricks of several bad shots for every good shot, including the dreaded hooks.

Ironically, I saw a couple of LH PXG 0317 hybrids on CPO for about $80 each a few weeks ago, in the specs I would have been looking for (22* (4) and 25* (5) with Fujikura Pro 73 regular flex shafts). Picked them up, and sort of put them to the side, as they are quite a bit smaller than my Callaways. Anyway, put them in the bag this weekend for two rounds, and they were great. My course has a couple of 200+ yard par 3's, so that falls in my 4 and 5 range, so it is pretty critical for me to have some reliable clubs in those spots. Putting aside the iron vs hybrid debate (which I waffle back and forth on), I was having mixed success with the Callaways. This weekend, the PXG's were terrific. On or close to the green on every tee shot. The 0317 hybrids are pretty small, but still very forgiving, and feel and sound great. I did have one pull off the deck with a second shot on a par 5, but I think I can work with that.

All in all, very impressed with these hybrids, and the Fuji Pro 73 shaft is terrific, as I had heard. YMMV.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway โ€˜23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade โ€˜21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

well.. thanks to this thread, I just ordered a PXG 4 hybrid. I hit my 4 iron well, but out of the rough as a good advance club or teeing up for a 210+ carry over water, having some more forgiveness and height could be really useful. so I'll try it out. Unbelievably, the PXG was cheaper than going with SIM or Mavrik Pro and equal to the G410. Not sure if I'm going to love the look or the X alignment aid, but we'll see.

TaylorMade Spider X

I've tried various hybrids over the years with no luck. My fitter made me try the Gen2 and I have been seriously impressed with the accuracy and consistency of these. I can count on the same distance and shape from shot to shot.

As far as your question about distance, I find them to be about a 1/2 club longer than the corresponding iron. For reference, my SS with a hybrid is just under 100 mph.

@Jwin323 being a touch longer than the corresponding 4i could actually be good. My 5i is 215, my 4i is 222 on a perfect strike. If that stretches to 228, then I gap well to my 240 5W. It hasn't shipped yet, its still being built, but I'm excited!

TaylorMade Spider X

I think you"ll like it. They're equally good from rough or a tight lie. The only problem I've experienced with them is the can get a little spinny into a headwind. That might be the shaft and/or the fact that i"m very handsy at impact and hit a high ball to begin with. I definitely have not had any issues with a hook. The weights and the sleeve seem to eliminate that.

• Like 1

I just got a 22ยบย hybrid today and I have never had a hybrid that I could reliably hit. And when I did hit them, they went left. The weights came in the front - this made solid contact more difficult for me. Then I moved 2 of the tungsten weights back - better. Then I moved all 4 tungsten weights to the back and it was even better - just like my 0341x 3W. Just a solid reliable strike. I do not care what people think, they can comment all they want as I count their money :) All of the PXG clubs I have hit so far are excellent - I had a shot tonight from deeper rough and I was facing a massive oak tree in a line of trees. I did not get over it, but I was close, and the strikes was solid - giving me confidence that I do not have to worry about the club - I just use it. Well done PXG

• Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9ยบ, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3,ย 9ยบ, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15ยบ fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20ยบ fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21ยบ Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24ยบ Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48ยบ Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokeyย SM9 54ยบ, 60ยบ, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golfย DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,ย  MEZZ.1,ย DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmersย ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for sharing I ordered the 17 and 22 on Fatherโ€™s Day and the still havenโ€™t started building mine yet. I cannot wait to get these!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smokeย ๐Ÿ”น๐Ÿ”น๐Ÿ”น15* GD IZ 6s
ย 
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Protoย 
Nike 006 Rory Protoย 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I typically carry a 2 iron / driving iron but it is very 1 dimensional, great off the tee, not so good into par 5's or long par 3's. I can typically hit a nice low, running draw off the tee around the 250 mark.

ย 

For some courses this is perfect but then on other courses I need that extra stopping power and ability to hit out of a poorer lie. Went for a hybrid fitting and the PXG was the star of the show without any hesitation. I was expecting to get fit into an Apex or SIM hybrid but wow, this PXG is the real deal. Amazing feel and very much anti-left. Also with their sale on right now it's a great price compared to other brands. I will be putting a KSB Prototype 105 X shaft in there and rocking this when the course I'm playing demands it. On the LM I was able to hit a little stinger with it which had very similar flight characteristics to the 2 iron so if I gain confidence it may replace that too (which is something I never thought I'd say!).

ย 

For my first PXG club, very very impressed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the adjustable weights with the Gen2 hybrids (I have 19 and 22). No problems off of short tee or mid-short rough. In fact, 250 yards with 19 off of each of those this weekend. However, I canโ€™t get it off the ground like I could with my Mizuno CLKโ€™s. All weights are forward. Has anyone tried moving them back for better launch? Thanks!

ย 

Have you not moved them around? I had a terrible time with the weights forward and love them all back. I tried them all over and the one that caused the most consistent hit for me is all in the back (as in all Tungsten). The PXG weights really change the flight of the hybrids and fairways. Play around with them and you will find what works for you. It also depends on what you want the club to do - all around, tee club, or something else

• Like 1

Weights forward will lower spin but decrease launch and forgiveness.

PRDYMTC TOURย ย 9.8ยฐย +ย UB6ย / PRDYMTCย ย 15ยฐ@16ย +ย UB6ย / MVRKTCย 18ยฐย +ย UB8ย /ย G430ย 26ยฐ@25+ย IZ95ย / FRGD TEC5-Gย + MODUS115ย / MD5TCย / SPDR EXTCย + GPS

All I know is Iโ€™m loving everything about my 17 and 22! The feel, sound, look, you name it I love it.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
ย 
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Protoย 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thatโ€™s the combo I am probably going with soon. What shaft you playing in them? I wanted the Fuji Pro 2.0 but now itโ€™s a $100 upgrade. Was fee before.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60sย 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I went stock MMT 80 stiff, because Iโ€™m going to eventually get the MMTโ€™s in my next iron set. They are wonderful shafts. Iโ€™m very impressed with them. Iโ€™ve played Atmos blue, AD DI, White boards, and the MMT is no slouch.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
ย 
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Protoย 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

The Fuji Pro is what I got and it was a no cost shaft. It appears that PXG has kind of gone back to their regular pricing by jacking up the price of the shafts.

Wow - I am glad I jumped when I did. The Fuji Pro is a great shaft IMO.

Yea, good thing you scored those when you did. Glad to hear that is a good shaft. The profile fits me for sure.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60sย 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

No I just got them on Thursday. Had at the range once and played this weekend. Thank you - I will try in back. Also probably on the 3 wood. Getting them up off a right lie is probably worth losing some distance

ย 

Timing/ Shipping was an interesting story. Not good by PXG corporate but my local PXG fitting studio / store did what they could to help.

Anyone test the Gen 2 hybrid vs. the TS3?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*ย  Mitsubishi WB 63 txย ย 
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6)ย ZX7ย (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60*ย TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

ย 

ย 

Well if I didn't already have a new Tour Edge Exotics 220 EXS 2H I would seriously consider PXG with the Fuji Pro shaft for those new one look sweet. I almost pulled the trigger until they put an up charge back on the shaft. Rep said they were losing too much money, iron sales must be down cause thats was where they made most of their money. I will just stick with what I have as it does perform nicely.

ย 

Driver: Cobra ย 50th Anniversary Editionย Aerojetย 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4ย 

3W:ย Callaway ย Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5 ย 

5/7W:ย Callawayย Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:ย ย Titleistย T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:ย ย Clevelandย RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter: ย ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft ย w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate)ย ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

ย 

ย 

FYI - it turned out I just needed a second range session. Kept the weights up front and love it. Can absolutely smoke these things. Also, since the miss tends to be left, I get to pull my body through a little faster and really go at it. They feel amazing, really smooth to hit.

I hated hybrids. but I'd been trying to fill the 4i spot for a while, since the 4i and 5i I play go roughly the same distance (I don't launch it super high, so at 5280 feet, they both just sort of go the same distance, despite 3-4mph more ball speed in the 4i). Either way, picked up the 4H on a whim and my first round out hated it. Put in an order for the 0311P 4i. But in the mean time I played with it more, and after a few rounds and a few range/sim sessions, it has quickly become so comfortable and easy its insane. Pured strike - 225-230 carry, roll to 240. Meh/thin heely strike - 215 carry, roll to 235. Absolutely god awful shouldn't get off the tee strike - carry 195. The 0311P 4i came, hit it 3 times, and was like, "nah, the 4h is doing a great job, lets keep it."

My only question is about loft gapping. 5i is 25 degrees, 5W is 19 degrees. Keep 4H at 22 to slot in or go to 23 degrees to more match with the irons. Do 4-5 yards really matter, one way or another? Ugh, adjustable clubs...

TaylorMade Spider X

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one since they are only $195 right now. 19ยฐ with stock NV green. Currently play TS2. One round but just hit the best hybrid shots of my life. Long, forgiving and great sound. ย I am really impressed. First PXG club and Iโ€™m going to order a 22ยฐ now.ย 

• Like 2

PING G410 LST 9ยฐ Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14ยฐ Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19ยฐ KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22ยฐ Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52ยฐ DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58ยฐ DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5