2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno MP 20 HMB Long Term Reviews Please!

longdriver7878

I played for the first time since my comment today and payed a bit closer attention to how the shots went with them.... other than my own stupidity with them.

Really feel confident that you can hit your number with thEm. If it’s trying to run the 3i into the green on a short par 5 or trying to hit the green blind over trees from the another fairway with the 4i. 5 and 6 also give you some confidence in the long par 3s.

very glad I have them

How are the MMCs forgiveness wide? Curiosity only; no shot I swap out of my full HMBs at the moment

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

They are great from the rough. Sole cut the bethpage black rough with ease(which is a feat).

much thinner than most GI irons.

Spin is excellent for me. I’m getting 5800-6400 with the 7i, vs 6400-7000 with the AP2 7i. So it spins plenty especially with a slightly steeper descent angle. Held greens at bethpage black with zero issue.

obviously any iron spins less from the rough. But I think the drop in spin is no different than other irons drop off.

I have not seen fliers. If I’m in the fairway, the distances are INCREDIBLY consistent. Thank Mizuno for making players distance irons with pretty normal lofts.

They are great sticks. I’m very happy.

• Like 1

L.A.B Link.1

I received my MP-20 HMBs today and they are exactly as described: point and shoot rockets. For reference, I'm 6'5" and my driver speed is in the high teens, but I'm still yet to break 90. The HMB PW loft is 46 degrees. This matches my original MP-4 blades, so comparing them is natural. Using the MP-4s, I carry the PW 130 yards with a perfect strike and considerably less, if off I'm center. (I always use foot spray to track my contact at the range.) Today, the HMB PW always flew sky high and carried between 150 and 160, whether I hit it toward the heel or the toe. (I wouldn't be surprised if I got the same flight when missing the ball completely.) The HMBs are truly that forgiving. I found that by choking down to the bottom of the grip, I could get my full out PW swing to carry a steady 120, so I should be ok with the gap between PW and my 50 degree wedge. The the 9-iron flew 160-170, the 8-iron flew just under 180, and the 7-iron blasted 200+. It seems that the distances between the long irons are much wider than in my old MP-4 blades. No matter how bad the strike, the 3-6 irons fly 200+, and when struck decently, they fly straight for miles. My biggest takeaway was that the long irons are SO much more forgiving. I wouldn't be afraid to use any of them off the tee. Whereas, I need to be feeling extremely confident to use my MP-4 4-iron on a 220 yard par 3. Now, I'd happily use the HMB 6-iron. And, at 240s yard from the flag, I'm confident I could get on the green with the HMB 4-iron.

In sum, I should have gotten game improvement irons long ago, but I could never stomach them, apart from a few sets like the P790s. I'm so glad Mizuno made a set of clubs full of technology that are beautiful too! I hope they'll consider making their MMCs equivalents look more like blades when the MP-22 line is launched.

As an update, I did hit these and the MMC in about 8 different shafts during my fitting last week. More than anything I was looking for a little less vibration up the shaft, and a little forgiveness on hits towards the toe. When the fitter saw my C-Taper 130X shaft, he laughed and said almost anything would vibrate less. I hit my clubs fine, but it could always be better and it's starting to wear on my wrists. The HMB almost auto-corrected itself on hits towards the toe, even when I was doing it intentionally. The Nippon Modus 3 120 shafts felt buttery soft as well. That day I was swinging my 7 iron around 96 mph on average. I could have gone with an X flex, as I hit them fine as well, and that's what I currently play, but was talked into a stiff. Reason being, they told me they would vibrate less, and I'm not getting any younger (I'm only 37, but plan to keep these a few years). Swinging a few mph slower would probably help my accuracy anyway. That combo had my carrying a 7 iron 180y on average. I carry my current 7 iron about 175y now, so that felt about right.

I was truly impressed with the HMB. When I hit them towards the toe, I could still tell, but distance lost was maybe 5 yards, as opposed to the 15ish I get now with my JPX 850 Forged. They would also draw back around a little on mishits, not just float off to the right, like my current sticks. My only concern, is that I hit a pretty high ball, and these looked like they were almost balooning at times. There was some wind in my face on the range, but we had a launch monitor set up as well, and the fitter said the launch was perfect. These clubs want to go up and draw. I flight the ball occasionally, and like to work it (or at least try to) in both directions. I could not hit a fade with these that day. Granted, it was a 7 iron, and that's not a club I would work anyway, but it has me a little worried. I typically only ever try to work my 4, 5 and 6...... but these just wanted to go high and draw. Then again, when I just hit a high draw every shot a few years back, is when I played my best golf.

Ultimately, I left with 4-PW all HMB in Nippon Modus 3 120S, and 50 (7* bounce), 54 (8* bounce, C grind), and 58* (8* bounce, M grind) T20 wedges. Also left with a ping G410 5 wood, which I didn't plan on. That thing was a rocket. Tensai Orange 70X shaft. Once again though, just wanted to be a high draw all day long. I can't wait to get these clubs in my hands. I haven't had new sticks in quite a while. I was told it's about a 3 week lead time before they'll be in for me to try. It's gonna be a long 2 more weeks.....

• Like 1

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

I usually play at East Potomac (DC). The 8th hole is 220 from the blues. I recently played at 1757 and Algonkuin, and both had long par 3s. I just play from where my group is playing, whether that’s white, blue, or black, so I’ve had plenty of 200+ yard par 3s.

if anyone is in the DC/Maryland/Virginia are, let me know if you’d like to play!

• Like 1

Played about 4 rounds with these now. Love the feel, look absolutely awesome out on course when you are not putting these next to a real blade, and are easy to hit. Only issue I seem to have a fairly pronounced draw bias. The offset could be the reason. But I usually play J15 CBs which have a slight bit of offset too, yet still go where I (usually) plan to hit them.

Need to get lie angles checked, and see if I'm messing the setup somehow. But that is my only issue so far. Great irons!

About how long did most of you wait to get your sets? I was told about three weeks, and I'm at the two week mark now. I'm hoping I'll hear from the fitter any day now, but it seems like it'll really be the whole 3 weeks.

found a set in the same shaft flex and length I'm playing 900 hot metals in, very excited to get them today. the experiment i'm interested in is the opposite direction of most players combo sets. I'm looking to put the 7-P in the low end with 4,5,6, hot metal.

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Just an FYI counterpoint here.

I play a draw/left miss and DO NOT feel these are draw bias at all. The offset also is very reasonable, especially in the long irons. I feel if anything it’s the short irons that have a bit more offset than other player irons, but honestly that’s a typical trait of Mizuno irons (less progressive offset in their sets).

I play mine 1* flat of mizzy specs, which makes them the same as my 2* flat in my 718 AP2s.

Haven’t noticed any draw bias whatsoever. And I love the sticks

L.A.B Link.1

I had mine for about a month and sold them today.

Pros:

They look great in the bag.

They feel better than other hollow irons.

Cons:

They don't feel like other mp20 offerings.

Lower spin can make holding greens difficult.

Thicker topline and thicker sole.

Why I sold mine:

I actually didn't care for the feel. They were dead to me. I also the hot metal pros and feel that the pros feel better. Mine had the modus 120 stiff. I don't know why, but I found really head heavy. Late in the round, I could begin the heft. Finally, and most importantly, not enough spin. My course has firm new greens. These didn't hold them. I never really had any mystery hot spots. I just got some occasional low spinners.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

Agreed that HM pros have great feel for not being carbon steel, guess the hollow type just didn’t feel right? They’re the same material HMB and HM pros, the 919 forged are just as forgiving and feel like butter by comparison.

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

The hot metal pros are interesting too. They are larger than the hmb, but seem to have less offset. The only thing I don't like about the pros is that the 4 iron is lofted low. For me, it flies a hair to low.

In my opinion, the Mmc or 919 forged is truly the best option for a forgiving players club. The hot metal options just don't spin enough for me.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

You are spot on. That’s why I’m stuck waiting until September for the 921 forged. Unless I find some minty used forged 6-pw before then. ?

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

Any club spins more if you weaken the loft a degree. Not difficult to dial in.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

After my last conversation with my fitter, I guess Mizuno (and Ping) are currently slammed. Apparently everyone had the same idea as me and wanted new clubs/fitting soon after restrictions were lifted in their respective area. These are now expected to arrive at their shop late next week. The wait continues. I've been working on my swing and grip in the mean time.

I asked if it was 21 business day or 3 weeks total, and at that time, he said I should have them in my hands in 3 weeks. It appears that 21 business days was more accurate, as they should be in at the end of this week (fitting on 6/17, ordered 6/18). Ping was about on the same schedule, as my G410 woods will arrive there this Wednesday, and the orders were placed on the same day. Luckily, I still have clubs to play, and not in dire need of these..... but I do believe these will fit my current game better, once in-hand. Then again, my swing seems to have taken a turn for the worse, and I don't have much confidence in anything at the moment. Hopefully these will pull me out of my rut.

That’s too bad to hear about the timing. I ordered my set around June 29th so was hoping based on 10-15 business days that they might get shipped out by the end of this week. If you’re only getting yours at the end of this week I don’t like my odds. Anyone else order anything from Mizuno recently and able to share what their order fulfillment time was?

I ordered MMC's on June 22nd and nothing has shipped yet.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s