2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

I played DFW courses this weekend. Thanks travelinggolfsticks for the recommendations.

Played Stonebriar Fazio the first day. Course was in great condition and seemed like a real nice club and facilities. Unfortunately we only 9 in before storms rolled in. Hung out for awhile hoping to get back out there but it didn't clear up and we left. Shot 41 on the front.

Played Oakmont Friday, only played here because it was close to where I was staying and I could get a morning tee time. We had some other stuff going on in the afternoon so it worked out well. It was in pretty good shape but it's a shorter course (6700) and there isn't a lot of trouble, large greens led to some fun putts. Shot 80 even though I wasn't playing that great.

Played Stonebridge Ranch Dye Course yesterday. Easily my favorite course of the 3, real fun layout in great condition. I definitely want to get back out there because I think I could score a lot better the second time around. Lots of intimidating tee shots. Highly recommend you play it if you get the opportunity. 2 birds including one on 18 but shot 90 after a very rough start and bad putting throughout.

My impression is that on the website in the "planning your next getaway section", each listed location is a market. So it looks like 6 markets in Wisconsin. Ask Clubcorp to be certain.

So I have a question. For the clubs that are no longer offering a complimentary round, why are they still showing the club on the playaway website and stating golf services, preferred rates available. But then it mentions the $25 fee for rental clubs when playing. And clearly the green golf flag is shown. Does this mean that they will allow you to play for a guest fee? For example, Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale or Aspen Glen Club in Aspen CO. Firestone is also like this but I would assume that they still offer a a travel package with accommodations and access to the south course. FYI, that trip is worth it. There are some clubs that no longer show a green golf flag and do not have the golf services item.

• 3 weeks later...

I played prestonwood hills yesterday in DFW. Not a course I would recommend. It is short and tight with homes on most holes. Lots of irons off the tee. Greens are small and were in rough shape yesterday, look like none of the members ever fix a ball mark.

They are bent greens, which is stupid in DFW in my opinion unless you have a massive budget the new Bermuda strains are much better for the weather.

• 2 weeks later...

STAY & PLAY

The history of championship golf at our iconic club and three world-class golf courses, exceptional dining and a tradition of gracious hospitality combine to create the Firestone Experience. For the first time, Firestone Country Club is opening its doors for you to enjoy the Firestone Experience with our exclusive Stay & Play opportunities.  

Experience golf, dining, and well-appointed overnight accommodations surrounded by golf history. Tee it up on the iconic South Course, where golf’s greatest players have been testing their skills for over 65 years. Play our North and West Courses, each of which boast scenic views and are a challenge in and of themselves. 

Visit the 1929 Grille Room and enjoy our delicious menu with a variety of choices to please any taste, the ideal finish to the perfect day of golf. Finally, stay overnight in one of our villas or our nostalgic dormitory-style club rooms within the men's locker room.A limited number of these Stay & Play packages are available.Let's start planning your trip. Complete the form below for availability and pricing.  Check with your airline or travel operators regarding Ohio's travel restrictions for your state. 

"travel members need not apply"

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not thrilled with the changes to Playaway membership and will probably cancel after a spring trip to Myrtle.  Highlights of my pre Covid rounds were Country Club of South and Atlanta National.  Great tracts (really difficult) and great conditions.  Currahee in Toccoa, GA was a great mountain course.  Pinehurst #9 was quite a beautiful course.   I think 3 of the 4 courses are no longer available for cart fees since the changes to membership.  Hendersonville CC outside of Asheville has a most enjoyable back 9 and is still available.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2020 at 7:30 AM, oneunderbogey said:

Does anyone know what time they open the booking in the app?  Is it midnight 30 days out?  What time zone?  Sometimes I look at a course at 6AM 30 days out and all the tee times are already booked.  Any ideas? 

I didn’t think Play Away members were able to use the app to book tee times. Is this a new change?

I am going to do a golf trip (or two) before a dropping my ONE membership. I live in Austin and want to play out of state. I'd like to do a trip in December.

What metro area has the best collection of club corp clubs to choose from? Seems like Palm Springs is a strong option. Thoughts on the best tracks to play there?

14 hours ago, drewlaws said:

I am going to do a golf trip (or two) before a dropping my ONE membership. I live in Austin and want to play out of state. I'd like to do a trip in December.

What metro area has the best collection of club corp clubs to choose from? Seems like Palm Springs is a strong option. Thoughts on the best tracks to play there?

what are the clubs listed in Palm Springs?

You probably wont be able to get a tee time at the diniah shore course at mission hills during the winter season (members only).  

Other options for December outside of Texas would be Vegas (bears best > canyon gate but canyon gate is still good) and Phoenix (haven't been).  Houston has some good courses too (Woodlands CC > Kingwood > Golf Trials Woodlands > Magnolia Creek) and Dallas has good ones too if you timed the weather and were ok with staying in Texas

11 minutes ago, oneunderbogey said:

Are all the mission hills courses great... or are you guys saying the tournament course in particular?  Its only available May - oct for non members i think

Yes, the Tournament course. I have not played the other Mission Hills courses. That's a bummer about the new restrictions on play. 

12 hours ago, oneunderbogey said:

Are all the mission hills courses great... or are you guys saying the tournament course in particular?  Its only available May - oct for non members i think

They're not great by any means, but the Palmer and Dye courses are still in the top tier of ClubCorp courses in my opinion. Not, however, at a caliber approaching that of the best public access courses in the Palm Springs area, among which I'd place Classic Club, Shadow Ridge, the Indian Wells Golf Resort courses and Desert Willow Firecliff.

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 12:36 PM, cristphoto said:

I can't play golf at other member clubs during virus conditions. I can go eat there but no golf (seems like it should be the opposite). Once all settles down I can play other courses twice a month (or my wife and I once each). We can go to a different club every day if we travel enough. I'm in the DC area and there are seven Club Corp courses available within about a 50 mile radius. Comes in handy when we aerate.

Mind if I send you a PM about Club Corp in the DC area? I'm in NoVA and starting to look at clubs. Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, oneunderbogey said:

They are devaluing the ONE membership again starting 4/1.  I will probably drop it, access to the courses I want to play is to hard to get and now they are charging additional fees.  I'd rather just go play a public at a time that is convenient for me at at this point when traveling.

SAD

I have been a Play Away member for a few years, but it seems to be less and less worth it. I joined largely for access in PHX as my parents live there, but removing Anthem in particular (along with Gainey and Seville) greatly reduces the value for me.

I'll probably roll it through this golf season and punt. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face