2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

July Motivation: Hip to be Square

New month, new thread... as always, I try to keep a positive mental attitude and hope to have a thread where people can post goals, accomplishments and other thoughts... just a place to encourage and be encouraged. Feel free to jump in and introduce yourself!

Went to the DR today and didn't get a cortisone shot... apparently I pulled an oblique muscle or something... Good times! Got some steroids to help with it... probably went to heavy to soon on my lifting for golf stuff... going to slow that down, get in more stretching and make sure my form is good... Who knew working on speed at 38 might have negative consequences!

Goal for this month is a couple rounds in the 70s and to really focus on not COMPOUNDING mistakes... take my medicine, take the bogey and move on to the next hole. This is not something I do well... I love trying to "save" a hole. It rarely works. Also want to focus on staying focused on the course.

On the practice front, still working on path drills, but a hurt front hip doesn't help me turn... I'm toying with left hand low on putting, as my putting can't get much worse (I've averaged 36 putts a round thus far this season)... I need to start dropping putts to drop my score. I'd like to move the average down to 33-34, as that increases the chances of a 30 putt round.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Now that we are halfway through the year, I went back to the January forum and looked at my goals for the year and where I am with that, and what I need to do to reach those goals. 

January: 

I want to win at least one tournament next year. A member guest, a better ball, my county amateur, etc.I also want to better my handicap or at least keep it at +3.I want to shoot a season best score of -6 or better.Lastly, I want to beat my friend who turned pro more than once, which is all I managed last year after he shot 65 against me 3 or 4 times in a row.I want my worst scores to stay better than +3Today:

Firstly, the county amateur for this year is cancelled. The course that hosts it every year has closed for good. These next 2 weeks will be my member guest weeks and if I am able to win one of those it would be huge. Next, my handicap has gone up and down slightly so far. Best has been +3.2, worst has been +2.7. Right now it is +3.0. My season best score so far is a 67 (-4). Still lots of time to shoot -6 and I’m feeling good about my game currently. As for beating my friend, I haven’t played him yet. Schedules haven’t aligned, but I still want to beat him. This season my worst score has been a 75(+4). And that was my first round of the year, so I’m ok with giving myself a bye on that one. Other than that, I have a 75(+3) and a 74 at a very tough course, and a couple 73’s at my home course, but nothing higher. Even the round where I put 4 balls in the water on 2 holes ended up a 73. 

So far I’m doing a good job and my goals are still within reach. Just gotta keep up with my practice and stay in every round mentally, then have a good day and go low a couple times. 

How is everyone else doing with the goals they set in January?

@dmecca2 Awesome work and great idea to check in on our January selves... It's interesting to look back on the pre-corona stuff... I mentioned my gym was closed and had to remember why... we were in the middle of a remodel at my club. It's done now and the gym is back open (mostly)...
Original Thread: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1807786/monthly-motivation-january-2020/p1
My Goals:Season Goal: Break Par on home courseMonth Goal: Improve fitness before golf season, work on short game when possiblePlan: I have mornings free from 7:30am to 12. My goal is to spend at least 30 minutes a morning focusing on improving either my golf fitness or my short game. Today I did a 30 minutes of kettle bells.
I don't have access to a gym, but I do own kettle bells. Right now I'm focusing on basic exercises as I haven't been working out. Doing Goblin Squats, Halos, Swings and some core stuff. Hoping to get in some wedge work at the course, but they are on shut down until it's warmer... I thought 50 degree was warm enough... Apparently they didn't. I have a golf trip to Kiawah at the end of February and want my game to be in decent shape (my wife is bringing me along as a trophy husband to win over clients).Mental Game: I've been thinking about my home course a lot and positioning myself to score on it... I play the same track 90% of the time, so it seems like I should set myself up for success there. I am taking a whole course approach to thinking about my game and my clubs. One of the first things I'm looking at is making sure I'm putting myself in a place to make par off the tee box. This means not pulling driver on a number of holes, but I need to figure out what club works and what distance I need it to go... From there, I need to figure out "best case scenario" distances and make sure I have that shot in my bag. I also need to stop chasing pins, get more confident on the greens and consistently 2 putt. Really need to work on leaving myself an easy 2nd putt, which is something I failed at all last season.Results 6 Months:
Well, my golf fitness was steadily improving until I hurt myself doing golf fitness... I got a little TOO excited about gaining club head and pushed myself a little hard... then I walked a concrete lot in heavy boots which probably didn't help rest my obliques... It's feeling better, and I've got roids... but I'm going to consider this a win that needs to be continued.
On the 100 yard front, I have gained a ton more confidence from practice, and am happy with how I'm hitting my wedges. Not perfect, but I'm significantly more confident at 100 yards... I'm also super happy with a wedge in hand around the green and out of bunkers. Always room for continued improvement, but I don't think I'm WASTING strokes here anymore.
Putting is more a mixed bag... I've stopped missing short putts and am confident under 6 feet, but my longer putts are still causing problems (mostly by leaving me 4 foot putts I'm less worried about). I need to start dropping long putts if I want to score... I haven't made a 10 footer yet this season (though I haven't played many rounds). Still grinding it out on the greens, and with a sore hip, it's a good place to waste some time.
Mental Game: I'm pretty happy where I am, except my confidence on greens... need to start jarring some putts to build this back up. I'm actually fairly happy with my on course strategy, though I still need to figure out how to play one hole (if I can get CHS to 120, it breaks the hole... still doable for me this season). Currently working on not compounding mistakes and avoiding dumb doubles. Best Round this Season: Mediocre 80 with 37 putts... 72 is still on the table, just need to put everything together.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

July Motivation - keep hoping and praying that my rib heals I can hopefully get back to hitting some balls this month if possible. So frustrating!! The only good thing is that it has helped the stiff sore back that I had needed to go to the osteopath for.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

First, god dam this thread title, the song is stuck in my head

I'm really happy with how the end of June / early July is going on the course. My irons are really getting there a lot of center face contact. Last month it was up to about the 7i for consistency, now I have no worries (compared to where I was) really through my long irons. Even my woods for the most part are solidly struck just still working on that swing.

Goals for this month:

45% FIR honestly this maybe tough, it's a big weakness and will also require good course management. I'll need to dial make the bomb and gouge mentality at times.

5 GIR a round: I think with proper course management this is doable, won't be easy but my irons are my focal point of my current game. Hoping to get 2/4 par 3s around and 22/4 par 5s around with my power, that way it's just one par 4.

Another weekend full of golf for me and the start of my back to back member guests starts this weekend. Over the weekend I shot 69 on my home course, and 73 at the course I will be playing this weekend. My main takeaway from this weekend is I need to work on my ball striking this week. I was not happy at all with the quality of contact on a lot of my shots. On sunday, I can only say I hit one iron shot and was happy after contact. None of them ended in terrible spots, but I need to tighten that up if I want to win. These greens will be fast, firm, and tough, but I putted well yesterday and I have been feeling great about my putting recently, so I hope that will continue.

If I had to grade my game right now:

Driving: A

Irons: C

Wedges: B

Chipping: A-

Putting: B+

Nothing worse than a hurt rib... it messes up everything! Hopefully you can start doing some light stuff soon and it heals quickly!
@Warrior42111 youll get to single digits! Just keep grinding and get those gir up. Once it all starts clicking the number will jump.@dmecca2 are these member guests actually fun for you or are you guys just trying to grind out wins? The ones I’ve done tend to involve lots of alcohol and money, so they seem easy to make some money off of (with a good game).

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

EXTREMELY fun. During the round it's a grind (not so much that I yell at myself out there and lose sleep over it). Making it to the final group is the most intense golf I have ever played in because of how many people are watching. I was more nervous in the final group there then I was in the US amateur qualifier playoff. I also try to make some money off these games. The skins money games are very lucrative if you can make an eagle, and the money games can be just as lucrative. This year is stroke play, so there will be skins all three days.

Next weekend at my second member guest they host a skills competition, of sorts, where there is a march madness style closest to pin (I finished second last year), a 6 hole putt putt course on the putting green, and a chipping competition. All have some pretty big cash prizes for a win. Those are tougher because everyone is drinking and I'm not a great player after a few drinks.

Total nightmare. Managed to simply trip and break one. So frustrating!! I can putt in the spare bedroom/office at home but that’s it.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Yeah, I broke one in high school... not a good time. Sadly, you just have to let it recover (or push it and re break it 4 times... ?)

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Very nice! I hope you have fun and win a ton of money... I've stopped drinking, so the only reason I'd play in a member guest is if someone else were paying or I knew I had a shot at winning a decent amount of money... They end up being fairly random, though... we got eliminated the last time I played because one team we played on Friday flew to St Louis, partied all night and then tried to play golf in the morning... It did not go well for them.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Have you been consistently inconsistent? Or do the wheels fall off in different places?

im not sure which way is better... my putting has been weak, and I keep thinking if I fix it, my scores will improve... other days it’s small mistakes in different parts of my game and feeling like if everything clicks at once, I’ll go pro.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Random question for the group, anyone know how to have your gloves not become so stiff after a round?

Live in Florida so I use multiple gloves a round. hanging the other on the cart while drying out. After driving back home I take them and the clubs out of the trunk and hang them but, they always end up looking like the flag on the moon stiff.

If you find something out let me know. I run through gloves like napkins. Rain gloves are the best for me, but I cant seem to get them to fit perfect like the normal gloves. I just bought gloves from mg golf for like $5 each, so I wont feel bad when I have to throw them away. No clue on the quality yet though.

MG Gloves here as well... only other option would be Kirkland for value... but I wear an XXL so it's a no go for me. I don't really have a good tactic... I just wear one glove and throw it on my bag at the end of the round... It's not ideal, but they last probably 10-12 rounds.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I can't help with the glove issue. I never wore one up north except when it was real hot and humid and then it was a rain glove. Now that I'm in the south, I wear a glove more, for the same reasons, but it's still a rain glove. I just threw mine in the washer for a rinse and spin w/o detergent. I had my hat with it, which is to keep salt stains from forming. I figured the rinse might help the glove not get funky on me.

Any of you have experience with sun sleeves?

I wear them all the time, there are two things to really look for. One actual UV protection, a $5 sleeve I really wouldn't bet on. And then proper sizing, for sizing I'd say do the measurement with the arm not flexed or you'll have a sleeve that sometimes falls, I know from the first pair I bought.

I use the company B Driven Sports, good arrangement of color and patterns, and I have yet to get a burn.

Oh man, arm sleeves would really help my farmers tan... tan hands, white forearms. I used to wear wrist sweatbands in college ironically (bought at Hot Topic, yes, I was freaking cool)... I'm wondering if something similar under my GPS watch would make sense.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

@bortass If you're referring to sweat dripping down the arm onto the hands then yes they work just fine. There's a wicking layer at least on my pair.
On to golf, I had another lesson yesterday. We were really both happy with the irons and the swing path 2-3* in to out. I was alternating between my PW and Driver all session. Driver took a while to get that path in to out, was really grinding mentally to get the right thought / feel to translate. I think I found it with the idea that as a swing my right hip back that my hands (not club) replace it. Time will tell if that sticks with me. Other than that we focused on weight shift. That's put me at my max for swing thoughts at 2.
Weather does not look good for me to hit the range after work this week, so we're looking at trial by fire on the course.

@Warrior42111 Thanks again and good luck on the weather. The lessons sounds like they are helping. Hopefully you're able to integrate the changes into your swing w/o much difficulty.

For myself, it'll just be general range time this month. I need to just get reps in to build consistency. Last month putting was not good and I thought I'd need a lesson. I made a change to my routine and it seems to have made a big difference. So my focus is back to full swing again.

Was planning on a 30 minute quick range session yesterday, but it ended up being a 1.5 hour session. My swing has been slightly off for the last 2 weeks and I could immediately tell on the range. For a long time I feel my swing come so close to being good, but I even if I hit a couple good ones, I couldn’t find anything that stuck. I would take a quick break and then when I started again the slight push cut crept back in. Eventually I video’d my swing and saw my club face was opening a bit early on the backswing and the club wasn’t dropping into the slot on the downswing enough (both things I had been working on to start the year). After some quick slow motion rehearsals, I was able to find a rhythm that stuck after breaks. What you see in this video will be my pre-swing rehearsal for the next week or so until this sticks or I start overdrawing the ball.

Some tips I would give others when doing a range session to “figure stuff out”:

I wouldn’t start by videotaping the swing. Get warm first, and work through a couple clubs to get in your swing groove. When you start noticing consistent errors (like a push cut in my instance), take out the camera and video like 3 or 4 swings in a row. Remember which ones were the misses and focus on the errors in that swing. It’s more likely that on the “good” ones, you are compensating for those errors. When I find my faults, I do slow motion rehearsal swings to really feel what I need to do. Really exaggerate the change because when you swing full speed, the swing will not look much different. Sometimes you can’t find your faults or you don’t know what to look for. Here’s a couple things I mainly pay attention to, swing plane, hip turn, face angle, and transition. The club should be coming down the line at the same angle as your right forearm, hip turn should be at the start of your downswing, face angle should not open too much in the first 1/3 of the backswing, and the transition to the downswing should not come over the top. Lastly, take a lot of breaks. Bring water. Don’t rush. It’s definitely a process, so treat it like one.

All very good advice! Thanks.

My swing is feeling great, but my hip still hurts... I played 2 quick holes to see if my putting was better (it's not)... still just scared to hit it to the hole. Need to start running them by and dealing with it, I guess.

Hopefully headed to Idaho for 2 weeks next week... I'll bring my clubs and my parents are members at a nice place up there, so I will take full advantage of the facilities while I can. They have a significantly better practice green and pitching area, so I'm hoping to work out some kinks.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Played Friday and I’m really really excited. My putting was shit had a stretch we’re I lost all speed control and I still was able to shoot low 90s. Best part was I was hitting draws. As a chronic slicer I was over the moon. The one downside, I need to find new aim points at the courses I play.

thinking of just keeping it simple and going left side of the box aim right side of the fairway. Also thingink about weakening my right hand as my draws start just right or straight then bend left. Thinking a weaker grip will help it start for right.

That's awesome! A consistent shot (that's not a slice) is a huge feat and helps get your scores lower... I haven't played a round in 2 weeks... currently waiting on a Rona test as my club pro caught it... Took it Wednesday and haven't gotten the all clear. I'm self quarantining for the most part. Hip is on the mend, but need to do more flexibility stuff... have done some speed training and am trying to stay positive...

Hoping I can get in some decent time at the course in Idaho over the next two weeks, but we will see... kids + grandma is always a fun mix.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

My new goal for the season is to make a putt longer than 8 feet, though at this point, I'd take an 8 footer... We will see if the change in greens helps out!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58