TM TP5X or Bridgestone Tour X 2020

cpallott

Best thing is buy 2 sleeves of the RX, BX and take them out and play them side by side with the TP5x. Hit two from the tee if you can. Hit the same shot with each ball. Or alternate holes. Or both.

The ball is the only piece of equipment you use on every shot. To me, having the ball I can trust makes everything else easier.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Herein lies a problem, some people don't want more spin that the BX may offer. The TP5x has the high launch and drop, 1 hop and stop. TP5 for me had that plus some zip back. BX, i'm sure will do the same.

Agree. But golf is also a feel thing. My dad swings hard but, he likes that feel of a softer ball like chromesoft, TP5, and his favorite as of the past few years is Snell MTB black. Benefits out there for switching him to a hard ball but, the man won't budge.

Ball is 100% pereference; I played a soft ball because I preferred the feel, but finally caved and played the BX/V1x and wouldn’t t you know it, my scores dropped about 1.5 stokes. These balls were a tad longer, allowing me to hit 1 less at times into greens, and they spin a bit more, allowing me to be a bit more aggressive in mid and short game. I was leaving something on the table, and I’ll tell you, those V1xs and BX balls start feeling plenty soft when you are firing 79 instead of 80.

will that be the case for everyone? No. But I can look at a bundle of arccos data before and after and see improvements immediately at the change.

‘My comments about the TP5x wasn’t to knock it, just point out the differences. I prefer more spin over distance (from less spin) in the 5-7i slots. Not everyone swings or plays like me. But for that reason, the BX/V1 fits me better, especially as the irons I play are mid spin, and I do not lack distance in my game. I also prefer the check increase around the green from the BX/V1x than the TP5x. Thought I do not feel the TP5x is as dead around the greens as some do. I still kick around a TP5x from time to time because I love their PIX design this year; that said, I have to be careful with mid and long irons because they go about 5 yards longer and simply don’t hold as well as the V1x or BX.

‘Different tour ball profiles exist for a reason. Most companies have a softer, higher spin ball, and a firmer, lower spin ball. Titleist is the exception here, as the V1x is higher spin across the bag.

‘I’m not saying a certain ball is a one size fits all; far from it! And if you are hell bent to play soft, the so be it, but if you bring the heat you are giving up some performance for that feel.

The right ball in my opinion is the one I shoot lowest with. Some it’s the one that feels the best. Some it’s the one that doesn’t break the bank when you lose them. Everyone has to choose, I’m just giving my personal take of a lot of rounds ball testing and a lot of data I’ve read in multiple studies like that from todaysgolferuk and MG$

• Like 1

L.A.B Link.1

A friend and I played Monday late afternoon as a twosome.... course was wide open so we played a ton of shots I am 5-6 Hdcp - driver SS of 106-107. He is a 1-2 Hdcp and driver SS 102-104.

We played TP5x/BX/XS/RXS...tossed in a few shots with some ProV/V1x's also. *Mainly we wanted to test the Bridgestone balls.

I think the comment above "Ball is 100% preference" is so true after our testing. I am sure as everyone knows if your a good ball striker all top balls are 95-98% the same. Of all 4 balls the Bx was the longest ball off the tee for sure but we are not talking much AT ALL.... we estimated on equal strikes there was maybe 5-6 yards more and we think it was role out from what we could tell, not per se all carry.

Interesting was the other 3 were almost identical in distance, like within a couple of yards. Of all the balls the one that really surprised both of us was the RXS..... As good as the others based on our swing speeds. My friend played it soooo well he is switching over this year now.

I found the Bx longer off the tee for sure with my game but what I was surprised the most by the XS as it was near as long and equal with all the irons. I liked it better as I could flight it easier because it seems to be a bit lower ball flight naturally but spins enough to hold on the lower flight. Now thinking going XS over the BX.... The RXS was right there too though.

Needless to say, the "20 lineup of Bridgestone balls are excellent......... and I did not like the prior models at all for the record.

This was a take on the 2018 balls. But yes. 100% for me the 2018 RX spun way more on driver (2700 average) compared to the 2018 BX (2300 average). These were ball fit numbers on a track man (tried them during a club champion club fitting. 15 drives each) and my on course Testing the RX ballooned even at times and climbed hard. The BX never did that, not even into winds.

Maybe they addressed this on the 2020 line. But for me something about that ball was awful with driver. Off irons it didn’t spin enough. AVX was even spinning more off irons. To be honest, the 2018 RX was one of the worst urethane balls for my game I’ve ever tried. It was so disappointing. The BX and BXS were the opposite. They were mind blowing. I thought they were light years better than anything except maybe the ProV1x 19.

L.A.B Link.1

I did that and was fitted for the RX didnt get much from the trial pack except they were soft.. I played them to early in year to get a good judgement of them and group in front of me picked it up.. Did play with the TP5 for 9 holes and found that just as good as the TP 5X and more spin on wedges so thats a possibilty now

• 2 weeks later...

BXS has my attention for sure after playing Prov's for 10 years. Spin off wedges and feeling off the putter are soft and solid.

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread. Thinking of trying the 2020 RX, mainly for the higher trajectory. I used the RX for years - from when it was first released to the 2018(?) update, where I think they killed the feel and trajectory.

That year I moved to the original TP5 and I was happy until the new update came out. I don’t know if I got a dud batch of TP5 but I found it feels horrible, spins way too much and goes nowhere. I’ve changed to the TP5X which goes higher and flies significantly further, but I’m not in love with the feel. This is the first time I’ve used the firmer ball of the 2 options, as I don’t swing that fast and have never got the most out of an X type ball. But the new TP5 just changed so much...

I would happily try the RX if they’ve returned to the previous target audience - around 100MPH swing, higher trajectory, softer feel and medium spin.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

• 4 months later...

Which one of the current Titleist options fits in the line of the Bx or TP5x?  I have a 2 advanced degrees, and still get a bit lost in the definitions of the ProV1 line.  What used to be the x is now not, but only in certain areas, but only with relative components????   I switch back and forth between the Bx and TP5x, yet won a drawing for a free box of Titleist at a local vendor... might as well make it worth my effort.

Thanks!