DECADE by BirdieFire

QMany

In this vid, pro says it's the widest landing area on the whole golf course @ 220 yards. Assume that would leave about 200 in ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

One thing I see people missing is the point Scott makes about moving your target away from the flag. The dispersion is going to leave approximately the same exact amount of shots near the hole for easy birdies yet moves the wider shots dispersed away from trouble. You end up with the same number of birdies, just less bogeys.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Dumb question, got the impression there was a bit of a trial period, but when I downloaded the app, where it said "in app purchases," it said to create an account, and then talked about subscription fees already. Never did the touch ID "purchase" where a dollar figure was shown, I just don't want to get charged. I wanted to try it out, as being in Canada, with the exchange, the price would almost double. I deleted the app, but I saw nothing about a trial period. There is next to no "contact us" or anything on the website.

I think I'm ok, but just wondered if I missed something.

I signed up for the elite version. I'm a mid handicap player but I like stats and Arccos wasn't cutting it for me for a multitude of reasons.

The course management aspect to this program is really unlike anything I've ever thought about on the golf course. I'm really looking forward to putting it into practice during my next round.

I'm hoping to just glean something from the stats to let me know where to start my improvement plan.

• 3 weeks later...

So I know of an opening hole with a guaranteed lost-ball-in-woods 10 yards off the left fairway edge once you are landing 280 out.The 65 yard cone from that edge puts maybe 30% of the cone into the opposite fairway where people are walking towards.

I know the pace of play is impacted but scott would say accept the shot from the 2nd fairway/rough and wait for people on the 2nd hole tee off?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 12:10 AM, Mearsy007 said:

I’m really interested in this concept.

Is it only penalty hazards you take into consideration when using the flow chart, only my home course is a tree/rough lined downland one and only 4 holes have adjacent fairways, so I’m unsure how you implement the ‘rules’?

If you will loose your ball in there treat it as o.b., if you will (most likely) find it, send it. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, jbwhouston said:

Question for people who have bought the elite...

I am considering buying.  One, is there a way to know if my home courses are available on the app?  Two, do you have to enter all of this data during the round or do you enter everything in after the round and study it then?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure he has every course on the planet in there, but you could always ask him on Twitter. I enter the data after the round. I have a good memory for this sort of thing. Scott has got himself into endless arguments on twitter about whether or not people should make a note of stuff while they're playing. He says people don't have a good enough memory not to make notes. Others say you should focus on what you're doing rather than what you have done while you're on the course. I would side with him on the discussion. It takes only a moment to note down how far you were and what state your ball was in.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

19 hours ago, jbwhouston said:

Thanks.. very helpful..  Has the program helped your scores?

That's really hard to put a number on. I've also improved my swing and putting at the same time, so I really don't know how much. I think it has. It has definitely helped me make better decisions on the course and I'm far better at taking my bad shots as they come (frequently at the moment because I'm not playing enough). So if I pick a target that I know is right, then I hit my shot and if I hit it in a bad spot, that doesn't mean I made the wrong decision. That really helps put me in a better frame of mind.

Basically, a lot of the marginal decisions you make on the golf course might have a different expected outcome of 0.1 strokes or even less. If you do that a few times, normal variance in your scores is going to far outweigh that difference. It takes a long time to be sure that you've improved, but I'm pretty confident that it has. It's definitely worth springing for I'd say. 

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

i mentioned this in another thread but it would be very interesting to have Decade work with Kyle Berkshire's swing (he's the long drive guy who videos himself playing various courses). i notice that he consistently hits 2i off the tee (300 yards!). I wonder if Decade think that's the smartest play for him?

i remember watching him at Pacific Dunes and he had a reasonably long second shot into the 1st hole and that really surprised me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dhc1 said:

i mentioned this in another thread but it would be very interesting to have Decade work with Kyle Berkshire's swing (he's the long drive guy who videos himself playing various courses). i notice that he consistently hits 2i off the tee (300 yards!). I wonder if Decade think that's the smartest play for him?

i remember watching him at Pacific Dunes and he had a reasonably long second shot into the 1st hole and that really surprised me. 

I'd definitely enjoy seeing Scott showing his triangle with the comment 140 yards at 400 yards in there. 

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

• 2 weeks later...

after watching this video i'm heavily leaning toward signing up for the elite version: 

2 questions:

* it's almost winter here and i'm not sure how much playing time i'll be able to get in. is it worth it to sign up now or would it be better to begin at the start of next season?

* there's a link in the video's description about getting a month for free but it takes you to a login page. that doesn't seem right. is there a coupon code or another link to get to the free month offer?

thanks!

edit: nm, soctt replied via youtube with an updated link for a free month <deleted>

edit 2: <deleted>

edit 3: just saw the first post in this thread about no promoting or anything close to it. deleted hype-man comments 😂

Edited by hoselpalooza
no promoting or anything close to it
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i just signed up for the elite subscription last friday and have had issues getting yardage books on my iphone. anyone else experience issues viewing/downloading yardage books from the app on iOS devices?

separately, how are you all tracking your shots whilst playing? the DECADE app doesn't really seem like a good option for this, unless i've missed something.

are you all using a companion app for live shot tracking during your round? or can you use the DECADE app for this?

lastly, i didn't find commonground golf course in aurora, CO in the list of GPS courses. this is a very popular course and home of the CGA (colorado golf association).

anyone know the process for getting a course submitted so we can use it to track shots with GPS?

thanks!

• Like 1

yardage books: I suggest to watch the how to print yardage book videos within the app. I used the feature on a desktop PC only so far. always worked fine for me. I even added my own satellite images inbetween sheets. Have been doing my own yardage books this way for years. Just tried downloading and opening a yardage book within the iOS app which also worked fine.

tracking and entering rounds: The app is not meant to track your shots during the round. I suggest you watch the "stats entry tutorial" in the video section. I use my memory and a pen or a note app to keep track of the length of the putts.

adding a course: sorry I have no idea, I found all courses I ever played within the app, close to 60 rounds total on approx 15 different courses.

when I search commonground, the app suggests the Par-3-CommonGround Golf Course, Aurora, CO.

when I search for common Ground, the App suggests the Common Ground Golf Course, Aurora, CO. Is there any other course?

Tried searching for Aurora in the city field?

Edited by Deepy
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Deepy said:

yardage books: I suggest to watch the how to print yardage book videos within the app. I used the feature on a desktop PC only so far. always worked fine for me. I even added my own satellite images inbetween sheets. Have been doing my own yardage books this way for years. Just tried downloading and opening a yardage book within the iOS app which also worked fine.

tracking and entering rounds: The app is not meant to track your shots during the round. I suggest you watch the "stats entry tutorial" in the video section. I use my memory and a pen or a note app to keep track of the length of the putts.

adding a course: sorry I have no idea, I found all courses I ever played within the app, close to 60 rounds total on approx 15 different courses.

when I search commonground, the app suggests the Par-3-CommonGround Golf Course, Aurora, CO.

when I search for common Ground, the App suggests the Common Ground Golf Course, Aurora, CO. Is there any other course?

Tried searching for Aurora in the city field?

thank you! it's supposed to be spelled "commonground", and i didn't even think to separate the words. i'll reach out and ask them to fix the typo.

WRT the yardage books, i think the app must be a little buggy. i never saves previously searched courses for me, and the city search doesn't work at all. i've also had issues with combining a 9-hole course resulting in a garbled scorecard. now that i think about it, it would probably be more productive for me to send this feedback to the developer instead of asking here...

thanks for your feedback WRT stat tracking during the round. i'm hopeful i can find something that uses GPS so i can get more precise data for each shot while avoiding the need to write things down or remember them. i've been working very hard to develop a terrible short-term memory for golf 😉 

On 5/17/2021 at 6:36 PM, hoselpalooza said:

thank you! it's supposed to be spelled "commonground", and i didn't even think to separate the words. i'll reach out and ask them to fix the typo.

WRT the yardage books, i think the app must be a little buggy. i never saves previously searched courses for me, and the city search doesn't work at all. i've also had issues with combining a 9-hole course resulting in a garbled scorecard. now that i think about it, it would probably be more productive for me to send this feedback to the developer instead of asking here...

thanks for your feedback WRT stat tracking during the round. i'm hopeful i can find something that uses GPS so i can get more precise data for each shot while avoiding the need to write things down or remember them. i've been working very hard to develop a terrible short-term memory for golf 😉 

I had trouble with it on iOS too.  It just kept trying and eventually it worked.  It would stop on the “ x number of seconds left “ screen and stay for ever.   Couldn’t tell you why it eventually went through.  

since then I’ve printed it out , which is much better anyway.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I had trouble with it on iOS too.  It just kept trying and eventually it worked.  It would stop on the “ x number of seconds left “ screen and stay for ever.   Couldn’t tell you why it eventually went through.  

since then I’ve printed it out , which is much better anyway.  

The progress bar is kinda weird. Most of the time a "Download PDF" button appears below the progress bar after less than 50%. You can then download/view the PDF document. Works on desktop (Firefox) and iOS for me.

grafik.png.290aaef43cbc74886c6933f138c32ddf.png

1 minute ago, Deepy said:

The progress bar is kinda weird. Most of the time a "Download PDF" button appears below the progress bar after less than 50%. You can then download/view the PDF document. Works on desktop (Firefox) and iOS for me.

grafik.png.290aaef43cbc74886c6933f138c32ddf.png

Yep. I think that’s exactly what was missing. Or either I missed it.  I couldn’t say. But at some point the green bar filled up , and then I hit the download PDF.  And it worked.  I truly prefer it printed now.    I’ve even played a few rounds minus a finder ( battery dead ) at my home course with just the book and found it to be quite quick and accurate.  This will truly be worth the $ alone when tournament season starts in June and I play courses that are private snd hard to get on otherwise.  I’m such a visual person.  So the sneak peak view of a hole with yardages really clicks with me.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone here elaborate on how to use the baseline target*? scott mentions the number represents how far we're aiming from the edge of the green for starters, which i can intuit for the smaller numbers.

*specific question: but what if when you add up the numbers, the baseline target becomes greater than the width of the green? or if it gets too close to the opposite edge of the green and possibly introduces trouble? do you just aim at the middle at that point?

does my question make sense, or have i missed or misunderstood something? thanks!

I cant remember which video had a part about this topicin it, its definitely within the app. Generally Speaking: Aim for the middle of the green but obey water safety distance to water hazards (and O.B.) even if this means aiming at the edge of the green.

One of the webinars has a par 3 example in it: Have a look at the May 5 Webinar, minute 12.

This is an example at my home course: the red line is basically the whole area of where to possibly aim. This means aiming at the right third of the green if pin is not cut in the back of the green. (playing direction is from the bottom)

grafik.png.c1157e23551781c0a98ea7f099a62c15.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Deepy said:

I cant remember which video had a part about this topicin it, its definitely within the app. Generally Speaking: Aim for the middle of the green but obey water safety distance to water hazards (and O.B.) even if this means aiming at the edge of the green.

One of the webinars has a par 3 example in it: Have a look at the May 5 Webinar, minute 12.

This is an example at my home course: the red line is basically the whole area of where to possibly aim. This means aiming at the right third of the green if pin is not cut in the back of the green. (playing direction is from the bottom)

grafik.png.c1157e23551781c0a98ea7f099a62c15.png

Exactly. He says pick the worse one and use that - so in the picture here the water is worse than the bunker, so you should take your distance from the water. You don't want to get too conservative though or you start bringing in missing the bunker to the right, and if that's downhill or anything like that you start bringing in hitting your second in the water and if you're going to hit it in there you might as well do it with your first shot. That's also why he doesn't suggest changing those margins even if you're worse. So a 10 handicap should probably have the same baseline numbers as a PGA Tour player, because being a 10 just means your shot pattern is larger and you start making doubles from missing too much on the "safe side". 

Now having said that I do think that there is more nuance to it than that. Scott says green sizes are why "aim at the middle of the green" doesn't cut it. If the green is 40 yards wide then it's terrible advice. If it's 10 yards wide then sure, but also duh. If the green is 40 yards wide and there's a hazard on one side, then if you're a 10, I'd say you can be more conservative than if the green is 10 yards wide.

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

1 hour ago, Deepy said:

Just to be precise. I’m not sure I emphasised enough on this: the „aim for the middle of the green“ part I said was meant with respect to the case where baselines intersect or push into each other. This is not a general advice.

That was clear to me. And yes if your baseline number is 9 and you have two 1 adjusters on both sides, then if the green is 16 wide aim at the middle. 

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Alright guys. Have a question.  

im 7-8 rounds in from start of using this setup for round tracking etc.    

is there a place in the app that will show my dispersion side to side and front to back with driver ?   As in does it track the driver shots and plot them all , or all for one round in a pattern anywhere ?  I hope that makes sense.  I’m wanting to see how wide the dispersion in total is. But I’m not sure if that’s possible from tee data or not ? 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock