Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

tigerfan23

I got blinded by the beauty and at least wanted a mixed set lol. Now that I've had them for over a year I'm good...ready for a little more forgiveness.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

I have had these irons for 4 months now, 785 4 iron to AW, and absolutely love them now that I can play them regularly. I am not a great ball striker by any stretch of the imagination, but I have had very few issues hitting the 4 and 5 iron well enough to be an option 185/195 out. I couldn't even tell you what they look like at address, because the look of the club must be what I expect a golf club to look like. I never take any note of it what-so-ever. I will say though the AW is absolute money. It's close to some sort of game improvement wedge I think, but the turf interaction of a V sole.

I was on the fence between these and 585 or a 585/785 combo, but I had a 565 PW over winter which got cold enough the little plastic piece on the back separated from the clubhead. Annoying.

I played Z965s too, which were beautiful clubs, but just not forgiving enough for me.

To me the Z785s are perfect.

Newer player of these irons. Got fitted just before C19 shutdown. Had to wait 3 months for the custom order to arrive.

Cannot be happier! :)

To be honest I didn't think I still had the game for these at my age (turning 60). Thought for sure I'd end up in the 585s. Had a lighter shaft and "more forgiving" TMP790 before.

Got fitted into the Modus 120 stiff (soft stepped).

After playing 6 rounds, smooth feeling, accurate, workable, excellent turf interaction like nothing I've played before, wonderful soft forged feel that give you that smile, still forgivable if not nutted, more spin for control...

I'd categorize these as a forgiving players iron for scratch to mid handicap with decent iron ball striking.

FORE!

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB s
Ping G425 7 wood (20.5*) - Alta CB s
Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB s
Srixon Z 785 irons A-6 - NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 s (soft stepped)
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck /  QB6 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

Oh brother we have a problem. The Srixons put together another stellar 75. These irons where so pure during my round. I missed quite a few birdie putts. I had 15 pars, 3 bogeys. And during the round i was teaching my wife and daughter. So in a nutshell. These irons have officially kicked the Apex MB’s out of the bag. I love the feel of the nippon 120X shot dispersion was great. Hope you have similar results. I hate to put the raw apex MB in the closet. But this Srixon combo 4-6 Z785, 7-PW zforged is really nice set of irons.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

I now have about 20 rounds with these irons and the honeymoon hasn’t worn off. They are accurate and consistent. I’d also say pretty forgiving. My miss tends to be on the toe and I lose minimal distance and accuracy. I have no trouble flighting them down either, this last weekend I had 160 to the flag into a stiff 10-15mph wind. Took a 6i and hit a knock down that I caught on the toe. Stayed in line and came up just in the edge of the green maybe 10yds short. I’ll take that.

I haven’t really noticed any issue with them being too low spin either, though I mostly play pro v1/x and Srixon z line. I spun back a 9i in a par 3 last weekend and that pretty rare for me.

Great sticks that I see in my bag for awhile.

• Like 1

One thing many should have noticed as a common theme in this thread is the v-sole. Unfortunately this doesn't come out when you are in CC or any other indoor fitter hitting off of mats. I was lucky in that the Srixon/Cleveland PGA tour rep was a member at my last club, so there were plenty of chances to hit the irons with trackman and I was completely blown away. I know my best shaft weight/total weight/torque/ profile pretty well, and the Srixon irons keep climbing back into my bag no matter what I put them up against. I tried to replace my 565/765 combo with P790's, 2 sets of cobra's, TM M3, 2 sets of Mizuno's, Apex and Apex CF combo, i200, and a few others and the only ones that came close were the Cobra and Apex's.

Ultimately for me even the 785 (which I like the look of better) were outperformed for me by the 765. I couldn't tell any difference between the 565 and 585 so I stuck with the 565 of course. Golf is a funny fickle game played outside, and the biggest part of the Srixon's technology package is the v-sole which is only unlocked outside, so getting fit indoors is why you don't see as many people in the Srixon's as you would otherwise. IMHO

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I have the 585 5-6 and 785 7-pw. I was initially expecting to have to tweak some lofts and bend the 585s 1 or 2 degrees weak. But I decided to game them for a bit and the gaps actually work out very well for me. Sometimes the longer irons can bunch up some. Or you dont see that 12-15 yard gap unless you flush it. The 585s have a little more ball speed, little more forgiveness, and that one less degree of loft seems to help me maintain a solid gap between the 6 and 7.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, just read through all 12 pages of this thread. I had been playing 714 AP2s since they first came out in the fall of 2013. Liked them, never loved them. Previously, played Mizunos. Actually played my best golf ever with MP62s.

In May of 2018, I had a heart attack, nothing too serious, but during cardiac rehab, I noticed I was losing lots of weight and muscle mass. Also, my stomach was bothering me. Went to the doctor, had an ultrasound, turns out I have liver disease. Good news, the liver is doing OK and functioning, bad news, I lost speed and strength and my AP2s, shafted with DG S300, felt like tree trunks.

Last season, I picked up a set of Apex CF16s, with XP95 R shafts. Nice clubs, and served me well. This year, I seem to be recovering, and have regained speed and strength. My dispersion with the Apex's is all over the place. I work part-time in the golf department of a big-box sporting goods store. The Cleveland/Srixon rep had stopped by, and left info for their online training which upon successful completion, gets you into their Partner's Program and significant discounts.

Anyway, to make a long story, short, I ordered a set of Z785s with the Modus 120 just over a week ago, and cannot wait for them to arrive. Absolutely love the look. Very simple and uncluttered. Hopefully, they will be delivered this week and I can get them on the course.

• Like 1

I have been gaming the Srixon 785 irons 4-pw since Nov 2019. My previous set were Taylormade mc 2011. I was fitted into a KBS c taper lite 110 which I wasn't too keen on but apparently the numbers were better. My swing took a nose dive shortly as my timing was off going from 130g to 110g shafts so I added 10g of tungsten powder down the shafts.

Got my swing back with the help of Bradley Hughes online lessons but not pleased with them I will explain.

The balls don't hold on the greens very well, also ball flight is too high for me. I play in windy conditions in Ireland and down wind forget it unless your 80yds short the ball will run even coming in high. We have a 200yd par 3 at my club I use a 4 or 5 iron but it wont hold the green very well. Short irons down wind are knocked out of the air, I club up now down wind on shots 140yds and in. Into the wind not too bad but even calm conditions anything more then 7 would be lucky to stop.

Distance control can varies the don't feel that solid.

Tried high spin balls but off the tee in the wind is dangerous if I weaken the lofts they will probably go higher.

Ideally I would like a ball to stop quickly from a solid hit and not go too high.

All that said it might be my fault but I want them gone.

Taking shaft advice based solely on numbers versus your own preferences/feel and on course/of grass ballstriking and not using the eye test isn't the fault of the z785s unfortunately.

I play in a lot of wind here in the Bay Area and mix in links play in Oregon and the UK/Ireland and my z745s with light 90g graphites (vs my other irons with 105g steel) have no trouble coping with the conditions. I cannot imagine the z785s are worse in regards to spin and dispersion than they are. Downwind short iron 'knuckleballs' occur regardless of club head, hitting a punch shot is almost always the way to go there.

Hopefully you still have the TM MCs and can swap back to them :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

@KING246 I have a adjusted all my irons to specs that come stock on Mizuno MP iron sets. Those lofts and lie angles have always suited me just fine.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

Been playing 765s for 2 seasons and still not used to the 9-PW, look shut or too offset to me. Debated picking up 965 short irons but got fit right before the pandemic and then found a steal on some 785s instead and they look more appealing even though on paper there’s not much there.

First home build... saved 1500 from what CC wanted!

84f15b3a-57d1-4c35-b6b6-1a85270acb6e.jpeg

ff97c06e-4775-4e0e-827b-744e20c6115a.jpeg

• Like 3

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

Two weeks ago broke par for only the second time ever. Last time was on my 40th birthday. This time was 2 days of my 60th. :)

785s were a big part of that. Forgiving and very consistent for a players cavity/muscle.

Have the 585 5 iron. Crazy easy to launch for this old man.

GET FIT. Ended up with in a totally different shaft and head than expected.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB s
Ping G425 7 wood (20.5*) - Alta CB s
Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB s
Srixon Z 785 irons A-6 - NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 s (soft stepped)
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck /  QB6 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

I am getting really close to pulling the trigger on the 785s. Deliberating between px 6.0 and x100 120s. I like the feel of the px but my indoor/mat spin rate was averaging 6200 with 19.5* launch and 120mph ball speed. X100s had me at 6500 and 1* steeper descent. All of the talk with the 'low spin' heads has me nervous about going with the px - am I over thinking this? What shafts are you guys using and what kind of numbers are you getting?

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1