2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Length of Putter

Chris5573

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 6' 5" and use a 36" on all my putters. Makes for longer practice sessions and seems to fit the best. Still I find that putting is the last area to come under control for me. Last week I hit 16 of 18 greens and still shot 75 due to the length of the first putt. The doggone driver was misbehaving!!!!!

I admire guys that can roll in those 6 to 10 footers with some degree of regularity.

The average length putter on Tour is closer to 34 inches. This is shorter than it was 20 years ago and is inclined to straighten out the arms increasing consistency of impact positioning on the face and reduces tension associated with bent arms, which adds to the source of errors. Shorter putters - not too short -- also help a little in shoulder rotation. An average height male - about 5' 9" -- should be able to use a 34 and maybe 33 inch putter very successfully. Frank Thomas

Utley wants you to have a longer shaft because, this way, the shoulders will work on a more circular way. But you would need a lot of practice and feeling to master it.

I posted those info in order to show how a putter should be fitted.

In order to properly fit a golfer the pro needs to be open minded and not fit under only one method. Chris stroke was more of a Pelz style.

Riccardo Marin

The average length putter on Tour is closer to 34 inches. This is shorter than it was 20 years ago and is inclined to straighten out the arms increasing consistency of impact positioning on the face and reduces tension associated with bent arms, which adds to the source of errors. Shorter putters - not too short -- also help a little in shoulder rotation. An average height male - about 5' 9" -- should be able to use a 34 and maybe 33 inch putter very successfully. Frank Thomas

Utley wants you to have a longer shaft because, this way, the shoulders will work on a more circular way. But you would need a lot of practice and feeling to master it.

I posted those info in order to show how a putter should be fitted.

In order to properly fit a golfer the pro needs to be open minded and not fit under only one method. Chris stroke was more of a Pelz style.

Riccardo Marin

No actually it is not closer to 34 inches. You are pulling facts out of the air with no basis. Again reference the Scotty Cameron website there is not a SINGLE player putting with a putter of less that 34 5/8 inches. Not a single one. Yet there are multiple golfer with over 35 inches. Need more evidence? Visit pings website only 2 players out of 16 rolled a putter under 34.5 inches. Yes 2. So to your point you are wrong, wrong, wrong. The average male is 5'10" however that in traditional putter fitting really doesnt matter. It is all about the length from your fingertips to the ground.

Whatever works however dont come on here and say something like the average length is 34 inches. That is just malarky.

6'0" and recently had my 34" 2 ball cut down to 33" and has helped a lot in releaving the tension in my shoulders and arms. It always seemed as if I was holding the putter up off the ground before. I also found that the lie angle was waaaaaay off for me. Probably more critical to accuracy than length in my book.

i used to use a ~31in in a blade, to help my hands hang low and minimize the handzyness i used to have...then i started having issues leaving the clubhead behind on the backstroke, so i went back to 33 in. 5'11...i have slightly longer than avg arms too...i found when i went longer than 33, the best roll i could do was a draw putt, or a push...

RBallz Tour 10.5
3w G20, 5w rktballz2
19* Xhot
4-PW I20 KBS Tour S
Sabertooth w/Superstroke
52* 588RTX CB, 58* Vokey

The average length putter on Tour is closer to 34 inches.

No actually it is not closer to 34 inches. You are pulling facts out of the air with no basis. Again reference the Scotty Cameron website there is not a SINGLE player putting with a putter of less that 34 5/8 inches. Not a single one. Yet there are multiple golfer with over 35 inches. Need more evidence? Visit pings website only 2 players out of 16 rolled a putter under 34.5 inches. Yes 2. So to your point you are wrong, wrong, wrong. The average male is 5'10" however that in traditional putter fitting really doesnt matter. It is all about the length from your fingertips to the ground.

Whatever works however dont come on here and say something like the average length is 34 inches. That is just malarky.

Thank you, SD, for the post.

As to Utley, the eyes are inside the ball, so if you take a more upright setup as Utley and Pat O'Brien do, and your eyes are inside the ball, you will need a longer length putter.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

The average length putter on Tour is closer to 34 inches.

Thank you, SD, for the post.

As to Utley, the eyes are inside the ball, so if you take a more upright setup as Utley and Pat O'Brien do, and your eyes are inside the ball, you will need a longer length putter.

Regardless of methodology 33 inches is an INCREDIBLY short putter.

5'8"

32.5" Putter

Manufactures came up with Putters being standard length at 35" because they fit in the bag the best.

Ummmm no. Manufactures go with 35 inches because it is the standard length that fits most players. Look at the Scotty Cameron website and see how many players play 35 inch putters.

You should do some research first... Scotty himself was quoted saying what I said, which is why I posted it.

5'8"

32.5" Putter

Manufactures came up with Putters being standard length at 35" because they fit in the bag the best.

Ummmm no. Manufactures go with 35 inches because it is the standard length that fits most players. Look at the Scotty Cameron website and see how many players play 35 inch putters.

You should do some research first... Scotty himself was quoted saying what I said, which is why I posted it.

It will be a dark day when Scotty Cameron is considered a master putter fitter.

I am 6 1 and I typically in the past used a 35. When I went to get a putter fitting I was told that I needed to let my arms hang down so that I could negate using my arms and use my shoulders for my putting. I am now gaming a 34 and I have tried a 33 but that is just a little too short. Once you get used to really just dropping your arms down the stroke because so much easier.

5'8"

32.5" Putter

This has nothing to do with "Fitting" a player. Simply an answer to why Manu's came up with 35" as the standard length Putter. They fit in the "Bag" best. Not to long, not to short.

5'8"

32.5" Putter

This has nothing to do with "Fitting" a player. Simply an answer to why Manu's came up with 35" as the standard length Putter. They fit in the "Bag" best. Not to long, not to short.

And they also happen to be the most common length of a putter for most people?!?!

I'm 6'7" and my fitting on the SAM Putting Lab said that a putter cut to 35.25" - 35.5" is the best fit for me. Unfortunately, nothing comes stock that size, so I have to have a plug inserted on my 35" Spider to fit.

Does anyone have an idea of what this generally costs?

At the shop I work at it would be $2.50 for the extension if the putter is new or $5.00 if you have had it over 30 days. We can either try to save the grip for $2.00 or you can choose a new one. The average new putter grip is about $7.00.

Does that answer your question?

I'm 5' 7" and had my putter custom fit by a PGA Pro and Top 100 club fitter in my area- 31" putter - when he cut the shaft he told me it was a long time since he cut a putter that short.

But I'll tell you, as a beginner, putting is my least worrisome stroke- it made all the difference because I am comfortable and my eyes are over the ball.

Imagine the laugh we got when I went home with my custom fit putter, only to find it is EXACTLY the same length as my 10-year old son's kid's putter!

Now I think my son's putter is too long for him. He can't get his eyes over the ball without messing up his stance - so aiming is a hit or miss afair for him- I think it is worth the $25 to get it custom fit.

But as said, it has to be done correctly because the lie will change also. Make sure you get to a club fitter who does the job correctly.

It is a bit frustrating because if I'd like to try out a new putter, it's all out of wack. I could get by choking up a bit on a 32" putter...

• 11 years later...

does Stan still want a 35in 5 degree 68 lie angle putter,

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite