That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

I've played with a few people like that over the years. Often it is due to a language barrier, but there are other folks who just don't care to talk much. As long as they know how to play the game and aren't slow, I'm perfectly fine if someone doesn't want to say a single word the entire round. During a twilight round on a empty course, if we have a good rhythm going it is sort of a relaxing way to play for me.

Yes

There is reason for everything. Typically inside 50yards I will not get a number, but if I'm around 50 I will get number as practice 50 yard shots allot, but my eyesight is not great so I need to verify my yardage.

I play off a 3, and don't hold anybody up though.

Got a bad draw next week. One is a wild hitter who has the habit of looking away and cursing instead of watching where his errant shots go then expects his partners to walk straight to his ball and find a great lie. The second is a complete and utter snob. 18 holes of being talked down to and hearing how brilliant his children are. On a positive it is stableford so will be quicker and the clubhouse is open again for an after round beer.

The guy who is significantly better than you, then plays a couple of holes poorly and make it seem like it's your fault because he's 'playing down to your level'. Had this a couple of times, with one person even questioning my equipment (we played the same clubs). Doesn't get much worse than that.

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

Had a situation this weekend. Got paired with (a) two guys that don’t like each other, and (b) the guy who is immediately annoyed with the group’s pace of play and makes it a point to try to hurry everyone up the whole time.

The second part literally started after our tee balls on number 2. The guy starts grumbling about how slow we are all playing and starts grumbling at everyone immediately. Keep in mind that we were a 5some and one of the players was a legit 35 handicap, and we finished in 4:30. I let it affect me for the first handful of holes...started hurrying myself over shots to poor results. Finally I told Mr Grumbly that I wasn’t rushing my shots anymore on his behalf...I was playing fast enough and we could just split up if we needed. It went a little better from that point on, but even after the round when we were settling up bets etc it’s all he could talk about.

I know people hate slow play. I do too. But I’m also not playing a game where everyone is picking up 5 footers for sake of play and hitting at the same time and standing over anyone who takes a few seconds to figure out their shot. It isn’t the least bit enjoyable.

• Like 1

We have guys that would linger around the Teebox, because they don't want to be first..

We try to play ready-golf, but I've noticed that older guys act busy or very slow to get ready for the shot at the teebox.

90% of the time, I'm the first to teeoff, because nobody is ready. I'm the only one walking the course..

I really can’t stand people who can’t keep their temper in control. I’m fine with a curse here or there after a bad shot or some lingering visible disappointment after a missed birdie change or rough three putt, but the people who throw clubs, shout loudly, get red in the face, or generally spend the whole round irritated because of one think or another really bother me. Played with a guy a few weeks ago who would get very upset after minor, very playable mishits (think slight fade but still in fairway instead of preferred draw or hitting the wrong part of the green after going for a par 5 in 2) and I considered faking in injury on the 9th green just to get out of spending two more hours with the guy.

Close second would be people who get very drunk on the course or spend the whole round complaining about their spouse (I see a lot of overlap in those two categories).

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Vokey SM7 55M & 60L (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid Slant - Diamana Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

Our club has a Sunday AM group, about 20 people play most Sundays. I’m relatively new so don’t know everyone. Knew one of the 4 other guys. The shop makes the pairings. The 36 handicap was a guest. Super nice guy and apologetic the whole time about how he was playing. We reassured him the whole time that we’ve all been there. Well, all except Mr Grumpy. He wasn’t happy that a 36 cap was with us for two reasons. The betting is some sort of “game” set up by the shop and involves basically everybody against everybody in almost every way you can imagine.

None of that is the point, though. I’ve been doing this Sunday AM group on and off for a while now and have had a pleasant experience with basically everyone I’ve been paired with...until this Sunday. Our club has this somewhat unnatural pride in its pace of play. Guys brag all the time about walking 6somes playing in 3.5 hours. So this mixed walking/riding 5some taking 4.5 hours apparently ticked Mr Grumpy and the guy that didn’t like him off. And that is actually fine, too, as long as they keep it to themselves and/or politely ask folks to speed up. Mr Grumpy started complaining on the second set of tee shots!!! They left me on a par 3 at one point while my caddie and I looked for a ball that was just off the edge and should have been very findable. I didn’t look very long at all for it while the rest of the group just left. I had to not even attempt to take a drop and a recovery shot...just had to take a 5 because they were teeing off on the next hole. And I was rarely the hold-up...just a couple of times when I had to look for a shot or whatever. In fact, Mr Grumpy would always wait until everyone else hit before he’d even approach the tee box. The one complaining the most was constantly late to the tee box. Granted, he was quick once he approached his ball and was a 2 cap so was rarely out of position, but still. And the 36 cap was traversing the fairways and greens all day, and he finally started picking up some on the back 9. But the combo of him doing that and me and another guy walking and sharing a caddie was just too much for him apparently. We weren’t lightning quick by any means, but the folded arms and toe tapping and muttering where I could hear it whilst everyone was hitting got old real quick.

Oh, and on our 18th hole it has a shortcut inside the dog leg but you have to clear a little water hazard. There’s a rock in the middle of it. I can clear it even in a headwind, and for once hit my ball on the exact line I aimed it (right for the center of the pond). Mr Grumpy goes “hit the rock and bounce out”. I said “No, it’s good...it will clear”. It cleared. He said “Nice, you caught the rock and bounced out!” I said “It didn’t hit the rock. If it had hit the rock I would be even happier because it would be 30 yards further up the fairway”. He zips off in his cart and mutters “good thing it hit the rock” passive aggressively where he could act like he didn’t know I could hear him. I saw the damn thing bounce, and let’s just say I’m sure he did too. He was just that kind of guy.

I golf with my nephew who is a really nice guy and it's fun to have that family company out on the course. I would imagine he's at least a 36 handicap, but one of the group's I play in is just happy-go-lucky and enjoy the day together. As long as they are decent people and play add a ready golf base everything is good.

I think I'm very lucky in that I rarely ever have an issue with a playing partner. In fact, I cannot even remember such an issue in the past 20 years. I suspect that this may be due to the fact that the vast majority of my rounds are paired with complete strangers (either I play as a single, or with one other friend/family member, rarely in a foursome where we all know each other), so there may be a tendency for folks to be on better behavior around me as a stranger to them.

I get paired with the entire spectrum of golfers to be found on public courses.

The last time I can remember having an issue was with a friend that I played with my first few years playing. He was quite serious about his game as he was looking to becoming a teaching pro. He could get pretty upset with himself if things weren't going well. My buddies and I had to have a "consultation" with him and it resolved itself immediately. I somehow doubt my friend would've behaved the way he did if he was in a group of strangers. He somehow felt more comfortable with us as friends, and his inner jackass came out a bit.

What do folks in private clubs experience? Does having a more familiar group of players around you on the course bring out more or less bad behavior? Honest question, as I've only played at a private course a couple of times.

There is one guy i play with on golf weekends that time after time shoots mid 80s on our trips but then goes back to his home course and shoots close to even par, but his pro has told him not to upload those scores because he was playing under "tournament conditions" and you dont upload those scores to your hcp. I think his pro is full of shit... what are your thoughts?