2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Good question. The answer is simple: There is no easy answer.

Becoming truly competitive in your area (and eventually beyond?) is a journey, and it begins with an unequivocal desire to compete. To become the best you can be.

You need to care more about getting better and pushing yourself to master ALL aspects of the game, than you care about "looking good," or "not failing," or "work" or even, sometimes "family" (only partially joking).

And you need to be brutally honest with yourself.

For starters...

:-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I know there's no easy answer, and no replacement for hard work, dedication, and desire. Just looking for what other have experienced. One guy may say it was adding 10 hrs of practice a week, while another might say learning to play conservative, another might say adding 20 yards to his drive. Like i said, just interested in the experiences of others, not looking for an easy answer silver bullet.

• Like 1

I had previously signed up for the Ohio Public Golf Association Mid-Am in June of this year, but it was cancelled and will not be rescheduled.

I am now playing in the Ohio Mid-Am in late August though. 54 holes (cut to Top-40 after two rounds) at Springfield Country Club in Springfield, OH. Donald Ross design from 1922.

I am also playing this Sunday in a Capital City Am Tour event (the Columbus, OH remains of the now defunct Golfweek Am Tour) at the same course. I had not played Springfield CC before and with only one practice round available for the Mid-Am, finding this event has been great - as besides the event itself, I was able to get a practice round in yesterday. So instead of one round prior to the Mid-Am, I will have three, including one tournament round.

Really looking forward to the tournament. Top-5 (and ties) from the Mid-Am qualify for the 2021 Ohio Amateur, so even if a victory isn't on the table I'll be shooting for getting into the Ohio Amateur proper next year (which might be an easier route than the actual Ohio Am qualifiers, lol).

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Playing the entire www.thenewgolftour.com this year. Goal is to win player of the year. Tied for 5th in the 1st event (out of 17). Not great but it was my first competitive round of the year. Been working on my game since and the next event is this weekend. It is a 3 day event on 2 courses, neither of which I had played before this week. Practice rounds at each course went well. Very straightforward other than a few quirky holes. Every morning I do a 15 minute session of heart math. Nights have been working hard on chipping. I have never played in a 3 day event so any advice would be appreciated. Goal is to not waste too much mental energy the first day and stay in the top 25%. Would love to be in the top 3 going into the final day. Game is getting hot so fingers crossed! The event is scored on a app so my friends and family can watch the live leaderboard. Got to love technology!

Club championship this Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Still not decided if I'm going to play. I hate the time commitment. All day golf old functions at night.... you know the drill.

My game is getting good at the moment, so we'll see if I decide to play.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

Just finished my SCGA Amateur Qualifier. Only 8 guys make it. I played ... Meh. Super tired on the back 9, as we had to walk, and no caddies. Just being able to compete with the Division I kids is great at my age. Played with a Freshman from UC Santa Barbara who was hitting driver 320 to 345, and 3-wood 290 to 305 (I beat him by one ;-)). Just ... crazy. I shot even par, 72. I think it's going to take 2-under, 70 to qualify. still waiting on players to finish.

Oak Valley Golf Club, 6,916, 73.5/138: https://scga-2020scgaamateurqualifyingoakvalley.golfgenius.com/pages/2333948

• Like 1

Good score! Is that quite a small field in the tournament proper? The Met Am has very few spots at each qualifier because the tournament is 36 holes in a day and so they only have about 70 people playing. 35 or so exempt, 35 getting in from 5 or 6 qualifiers equals not a lot of spots. 3.2 under the course rating to qualify is rough. Did you start on 1?

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

All start on 1 due to the 'Rona. 84 players in the final field. There are 6 qualifiers with ~8 spots per site.

regarding the qualifying score: Yes, fields in SoCal are deep. Very deep.

Played my first two tournaments of the year over the past few days. They were respectively my second and third rounds since last October. Not exactly good preparation. Both were on joke narrow golf courses with trees everywhere. One was a golfweek amateur tour event. The other a Met Am/Ike qualifier. Shot 77 and 78. Hit a lot of greens and putted abysmally in both. The 77 was good enough to win, so that was nice. The 78 was not good enough to qualify. Missed by four. Long Island Amateur next week...

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Played my first two events of the year and could have been a lot better. No birds and too many mistakes in first event. Second event starts like this: really good warm up, topped 3w on first tee, 6i then 80yd LW in the hole for a birdie start - yeah, crazy.

Fast forward to 18, +5 on tee and need a birdie to have any chance. Hit a bomb, bounces in fairway towards left rough. Didn't know the course that well and get out there and the ball is lost...walk of shame back to tee and make a mess of it...

Just wanted to give a shoutout to a fellow Vandalia-Butler High School alum (Vandalia, OH just north of Dayton) for lighting up the Ohio Amateur this week: Austin Greaser shot -18 at Columbus Country Club (Columbus, OH) across 72 holes, winning by 8-shots. Went 65-69-66-70 and broke Ben Curtis' record of -16 (from 2000) for lowest score to-par in the Ohio Amateur.

Keep an eye on this kid. Will be entering his sophomore year at the University of North Carolina this fall.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Pasadena City Championship this weekend. Long-running 54-hole stroke-play tournament (36 holes then a cut to the low 30% of the field and ties) with a very large field (300+) ams spread over two courses. Lots of solid college and high school kids play along with the usual assortment of scratch mid-ams and seniors (me! LOL!). Going off early on Friday, so should be able to avoid the inevitable slow play of a large city tournament. Haven't played in this tournament much in the last 10 years or so, but with Covid, was looking for some good competition. Finished 3rd back in 2006(?).

Take a look at how many plus indexes are in the field and there are another 50 or so below 3.0. Golf in Southern California is deep.

Daeyoung Kim (+5.9)

Andy Yoon (+5.4)

Ryan Wilkins (+4.6)

Ryan DeHart (+4.2)

Hyunho Cho (+4.1)

Sean Jay (+4.0)

Jonathan Minkoff (+3.7)

Dan Sullivan (+3.6)

Daniel Ragsdale (+3.6)

Graham Brockington (+3.2)

Erick Liscio (+3.1)

Jeffrey Perry (+3.1)

Devin Keith (+3.0)

Jaden Cantafio (+3.0)

Kyle Sharp (+3.0)

Daniel Tiscareno (+2.9)

Ryan Kyaw (+2.9)

Tongun Lako (+2.9)

Brennin Tidwell (+2.8)

Devin Schaffer (+2.8)

Kevin Fitzgerald (+2.8)

Tyler Smith (+2.8)

Andre Nacional (+2.7)

Chu Wen Tsui (+2.7)

Brandon McDonough (+2.6)

Paul Silva (+2.5)

Raymond Kim (+2.5)

Aaron Lee (+2.3)

Connor O'Brien (+2.3)

Kyle Campano (+2.2)

Steven Anderson (+2.2)

Tim Hogarth (+2.2)

Goran Hagegard (+2.1)

Ken Cruz (+2.1)

Thomas Chung (+2.1)

Griffin Feldman (+2.0)

Lewis Simon (+2.0)

Owen Calvin-Smith (+2.0)

Ashton Roberts (+1.9)

Tim Snyder (+1.9)

Blake McGovern (+1.8)

Matias Gramajo (+1.8)

Aidan Lee (+1.6)

Bernard Leon (+1.6)

Brian Song (+1.6)

Jay Martinez (+1.6)

Matt Fry (+1.6)

Matt Monheim (+1.6)

Daniel Johnson (+1.5)

Drew Miller (+1.5)

Matthew Kang (+1.5)

Alex Hanz (+1.4)

cody Matthews (+1.4)

Colin Huang (+1.4)

Gunnar Murray (+1.4)

Nick Fowlkes (+1.4)

leif sunderland (+1.3)

Andres (Andy) Cortez (+1.2)

Mark C Miller (+1.2)

Nathaniel Frink (+1.2)

Christian Schrodt (+1.1)

David Ober (+1.1)

Ryan Parkhouse (+1.1)

Surapat Chokprajakchat (+1.1)

Will Stribling (+1.1)

CALEB GREINER (+1.0)

David Solomon (+1.0)

Gregory Sato (+1.0)

Hugo Amsallem (+1.0)

Roy Kim (+1.0)

Alex Resurreccion (+0.9)

Colin Bennett (+0.9)

James Tyler (+0.9)

Jin Park (+0.9)

Michael Gaven (+0.9)

Anthony Lynn (+0.8)

Beomseok sun (+0.8)

Dane Bagnell (+0.8)

Josh Ault (+0.8)

Michael Murphy (+0.7)

Branden Parkhouse (+0.6)

Dean Chavez (+0.6)

Michael Palffy (+0.6)

Aiden Choi (+0.5)

Darren Epton (+0.5)

Dennis Martin (+0.5)

Jonathan Clark (+0.5)

Leslie Taylor (+0.5)

Michael Padilla (+0.5)

Preston Gomersall (+0.5)

Robert Waters (+0.5)

Joshua Kim (+0.4)

Mike Sisk (+0.4)

Patrick Carrigan (+0.4)

Raphael Villarama (+0.4)

Edward Susolik (+0.3)

Ruben Stewart (+0.3)

Steven Price (+0.3)

Benjamin Valdez (+0.2)

Tyler Smith1 (+0.2)

Adam Schwimmer (+0.1)

Isi Tuanaki (+0.1)

Jeremy Moreno (+0.1)

Marc Mays (+0.1)

Blake Brothers (0.0)

Brad Jones (0.0)

Jonathan Johasky (0.0)

Matthew Bedford (0.0)

Ned Udomkesmalee (0.0)

Taylor Jones (0.0)

• Like 1

It is, indeed. When it's in good shape, it's a decent track.

Fannnnnntastic!!!!

I am looking at the results now. :-)

Been playing plenty of NCGA events, scores ranging from 70-76. Qualifiers went very well, however CA State Am qual only had 8 spots out of 155 field size. Shot 71 (-1) missed by a shot. Pretty much perfect tee to green just playing with lips all day. Had a few top 30/150 fields so far but nothing exciting. I’ve got a good feeling about NCGA Am @ spyglass this year....

handicap trending at +2.7 with only tournament rounds posted. I’d consider this decent given all the circumstances.

good to see you still at it obee

• Like 1

WD'd after 9 today today at the Pasadena City. Hate to do that and have probably only done it two or three times in 25 years when I wasn't injured. Work stuff was unavoidable.

Played a couple of 2 man best ball tournaments over the past couple of weeks, didn't do very well, played average and my partners were not on their best games either.

Just tried my first real tournament of the year this week, State Mid-Am match play. Didn't play great and couldn't make enough 8-10 footers to get past the qualifer. They cut to low 32 for match play with a one round of stroke play. I shot 74, on the number for a playoff, but it was 10 guys for one spot. We went off in fivesomes, first group was 4 pars and a bogey. I was in the second group, one guy hit it out of play and picked up, another chunked one in the green side bunker and was out of it. The other two guys hit solid shots, one about 20 feet, another about 15-18 feet. I hit my best drive of the day, second shot to a back middle pin goes right over the flag, hits the back fringe and spins back to about 10 feet, I think I'm looking pretty good. Then the first guy drains his 20 footer, second guy leaves his birdie putt short. I have got to make it, and its my worst putt, looks straight in down hill, but I almost think it could go left, but the grain is right. Play it straight, and the grain takes it just outside right.

Of course this wouldn't have happened if I had not bogeyed 18, hit a bad heel fade down the middle with the wind into and from the right. Normally a drive and a 8-9 iron to an uphill green, I ended up trying to hit a 5 iron and still left it short, and chipped it 8 feet by and missed a left to right slider down hill....

At least I didn't embarrass myself, I'm finding it harder to keep up with the mid-Ams, turn 59 this year.....probably should stick to senior events....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

My tournament season starts this weekend.
Sant Barbara Classic is a better ball event I play every year with my brother, who’s a stick.
Then State Fair Mid-Am in two weeks in Sacramento.
Santa Barbara City in a month then Santa Barbara County a bit after that.
(short) season culminates with SCGA 4 ball qualifying with @Obee at Rustic Canyon then Dove Canyon in November.
My game is slowly coming back. I’m excited to see how the next few weeks go and then continue to build.

• Like 1

Love it, bud!

I've got quarter-finals of our Club Championship today. I'm defending champ, but there's a new kid in town. 22 year old who's a +3 to +4. I got the better end of the bracket as the number 1 seed, so that means on the other end the 2 and 3 seeds, both +2 to +4 have to (likely) battle it out in the semis.

Then it's a busy next three months:

Scratch League begins next week (inter-club matches played all at scratch. No giving/getting strokes, just your club's best six versus other clubs' best six in a series of "16-point" matches. The league was inaugurated 10 years or so ago, and it's great competition. Not at all uncommon to play a club where all six players are +1 or better. I played years ago in the number 4 slot on my team as a +2.1.

Inland Empire Amateur/Senior Labor Day Weekend

Pasadena City Senior the following week

SCGA Four-Ball Qualifier (with you!) in mid-October

Ojai Senior Cup the week after that

SCGA Four-Ball at Dove Canyon (if we qualify)

Club Championship (stroke-play) in mid-November

Scratch League begins next week (inter-club matches played all at scratch. No giving/getting strokes, just your club's best six versus other clubs' best six in a series of "16-point" matches. 

We do this. It's 12 man teams and you play 3 fourballs at home, 3 away. Each match is 3 points (front, back, 18). Single elimination. Normally, it's in the spring, but because of Covid, we're doing October this year. Guys talk about the line-up for about, oh, 12 months a year. We don't go strictly by handicap. I think our highest guy is a 2 right now, but we have a scratch a couple of 1's on the bench. It's a blast.

We had club champ last weekend. I got eliminated in the semi's by the champ, but I played well for seeding, round 1 and round 2.

Our state AM is next week. Normally, there is qualifying all over the state and if you come out of the qual, it's one round of stroke play to get into the final 32. I've never made it out of qualifying. This year, it's just two rounds of qualifying (field limited by handicap). Top 32 (of 240) move onto match play. I'm really looking forward to this. Game is pretty good right now. I think it's going to take even to get through, but right now my goal is to pound one down the middle on hole 1.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Love it. Best of luck to you, bud!!

Won my match today, 5&3. Play a good friend and solid 2-capper in the quarters next.

• Thanks 1