Thinking about a new shaft

kenfujikenfuji Members Posts: 538
edited May 12, 2006 in Equipment #1
NV to Pro launch or ys-6+
I've been playing the NV shaft consistantly for over a year now and i really enjoy it, but I noticed I get inconcist with trajectory and carry when i play more then 18 holes. Usually i get a carry of 235-250yd and a roll out of 15-30 yards from there. I currently use a cally 460 X-tour 9.5, but would like a more consistant ball pattern and a shaft i don't need to worry about over loading and hooking earlier in rnds, but something that will be easier to load later in the day after a little fatigue.

My current trajectory is solid mid. (I really like the current traj, but wouldn't mind something higher for more carry)

no current ballooning issues and i play with a natural fade.

SS Avg 98-105 w/ Fast swing tempo

TIA image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

edit: club is a callaway x-tour 460, not an x-stiff shaft image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beee:' />
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lidomkjlidomkj Members Posts: 457
    It sounds like the xflex might be too stiff for you. You might want to consider getting fitted to make sure you are playing the right shaft.

I just went through this process and was stuggling with what to get. Highly recommend. I did not want to go through a big trial and error process. I had a 1 hour session and I am now playing with the Aldila NVS stiff and will reshaft my 3 wood and hybrid with the same shaft once I get some extra cash together. 3 wood with 75 gram and the hybrid with the 85 gram hybrid shaft.
  • elneilioelneilio Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    You must try the YS6+ it has quite a soft feel to it so you should be ok when you get alittle fatigued, but it really performes well when you want to hit one hard, I have very similar distance characteristics to you although I carry it a little further (I am actually a Pro in England).

I have a 905T with YS6+ stiff and a X tour 3 wood with the same shaft and love them both.

Remember you must, must get fitted or at least try different shafts before you change.
  • mr_divotsmr_divots Members Posts: 8,297 ✭✭
    edited May 10, 2006 #4
    kenfuji wrote on May 10 2006, 01:33 PM:

I've been playing the NV shaft consistantly for over a year now and i really enjoy it, but I noticed I get inconcist with trajectory and carry when i play more then 18 holes. Usually i get a carry of 235-250yd and a roll out of 15-30 yards from there. I currently use a cally 460 X tour 9.5, but would like a more consistant ball pattern and a shaft i don't need to worry about over loading and hooking earlier in rnds, but something that will be easier to load later in the day after a little fatigue.

My current trajectory is solid mid. (I really like the current traj, but wouldn't mind something higher for more carry)

no current ballooning issues and i play with a natural fade.

SS Avg 98-105 w/ Fast swing tempo

TIA image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I've had good results with the UST V2 75 stiff. I had my clubfitter install it/tip it to a S100 flex. Easy to load, yet this shaft is very stable and launches mid/high for me in my J33 460. The slightly heavier weight might slow your tempo a little earlier in the round too, yet it launches high enough that it shouldn't be a problem late in the round. I've been playing Prolaunches before this, and I'm liking the V2 a little more. Smoother.

The Grafalloy Comp NT might be another one to consider. I have the same flex setup in an Adams 460 Dual with the Comp NT85. Ballflight is mid/high and stong with that shaft also. Edit: Oh, SS is 108 MPH for reference.
  • kenfujikenfuji Members Posts: 538
    I forgot the mention that I use a Stiff shaft image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

hmmm I heard many good things with the V2 too.
  • dcorundcorun Members Posts: 369
    I have the YS-6+ in my 905T and it works very well for me. My SS is 95 and I have medium tempo. This combination is solid for me.
    TM M2 Driver - 10.0*` Fujikura Pro 50 R Flex (2017)
    Cobra F6 3 Wood - 14.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
    Cobra F6 Hybrid 3 - 18.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
    Cobra F6 Hybrid 4 - 21.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
    Cobra F6 Hybrid 5 - 24.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
    Cleveland 588 MT Irons 6 - SW UST/Mamiya Actionlite 55 R Flex
    Cleveland Huntington Beach Collection Putter #4 - 35"
  • Golfer GavinGolfer Gavin Jr. Boomers Posts: 729
    well... i had a g5 10.5 with prolaunch and hit it to high... switched to a g5 10.5 with aldila nv and made me fall in love with this club. 290-300 everytime. since ive gotten it 3 weeks ago i have driven 5 par 4's. it definitley brings down the ball flight.
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    I'm not an NV fan to begin with, but NV in Xflex was the worst feeling shaft I've hit in a long time. If you're going x-flex, I would highly recommend the YS6 or Pro-launch. The Pro launch will probably play a half flex stiffer than the YS6.
  • kenfujikenfuji Members Posts: 538
    ok tired some shafts the other day

the prolaunch felt a little firmer at impact, similar to the fuji 26.3.

i tried the ys-6 it felt easier to swing but felt alittle too soft at impact.

do you guys think the ys-6+ will have a nice inbetween feel

I am staying with a Stiff shaft.
  • hardtenhardten Members Posts: 3,620 ✭✭
    Why not try the y7+.
  • hayamhayam Say Yes to KoolAide. Members Posts: 2,053
    Try Ys 6 S tipped 2 inch. resulting in between Stiff flex. 6.5 cpm or so. want slightly softer . tip 1.5 inch

Its unconventional but its one of the shaft that is really perfect if u want a higher trajectory and lots of control and feel fantastic. Its one of the best high trajectory shaft if you get the correct flex and tipping.

Another shaft that is similar is YS power 75.
  • NPVWhizNPVWhiz Members Posts: 1,976 ✭✭
    The YS6 has always gotten a bit of a bad rap on the boards due to its tendency to play a little soft to flex, but year in and out it gets play in X on the tours.

I hit a bunch of different shafts at a recent Cleveland demo day. It really is amazing how some are solid for you and some are almost unhittable. I'm sure that it's as simple as shafts that are close in profile and flex to your current stick are going to feel more familiar than others.

In any case, of the 8 or 9 I hit, the NVS and the V2 were the shafts I was most impressed with. I should toss in the caveat that I've hit many, many driver shafts. I had been playing with a 652Speeder in a 510DF for about 8 months, but was toying with an R7 Diamana at the time.

I really liked the V2. To pick up a stick cold, I think I hit more solid tee shots on the range in a row than I have in years. The NVS was the next one I liked. The rest I didn't hit more than 2 or 3 shots with.

The V2 was a 76 gram, and the NVS was a 75, both in S.

I went ahead and got the V2 and have been very happy so far. The launch and spin are excellent for me, and it seems to be a shaft that I can hit at 80%, but I can hit it a little harder without it feeling loose. The misses have just been a lot better than with the 652.

Maybe you should try to find a Vector and a Callaway fitting cart and try a few out. The cart has a bunch of shaft options, including most of the S flex shafts you'd probably be interested in (V2, NVS, ProLaunch, etc.)
    Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3
    > Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
    Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX
    Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw
    > Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.
    Vokey SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5
    > Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
    Scotty Golo
  • Sam-Tee-TimeSam-Tee-Time Members Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    kenfuji wrote on May 10 2006, 01:33 PM:

...................but would like a more consistant ball pattern and a shaft i don't need to worry about over loading and hooking earlier in rnds, but something that will be easier to load later in the day after a little fatigue..............

My suggestion is a higher quality, yet low torque shaft. I would suggest an ACCRA SC65 or T60, or perhaps something like a UST V2 (low torque,which will keep the pattern tight), or Diamana shaft. These are more expen$ive, but the dispersion pattern is much better IMO.
  • mr_divotsmr_divots Members Posts: 8,297 ✭✭
    I think the YS-6+ in stiff will be fine. You should work with a good clubfitter and have them tip it the appropriate amount so that it doesn't feel loose. I had the YS-6+ in a 905T. Great feel, so smooth. It was a little loose for me, but I swing a little faster at 108 MPH. An X with minimal tipping probably would have been better for me. The YS-6+ is the #1 shaft on the PGA tour for 3 years running I believe. I honestly don't know why it would have a bad rap, as it is an excellent shaft. It just needs to be fit properly like everything else. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />