DISCUSSION THREAD: Members Choice: Best Irons of 2020

GolfWRX

Thank you to all the GolfWRX members who participated in our Members Choice Best Irons surveys! Needless to say, there would be no Members Choice without our members choosing, so again, many thanks!

You can find our five front-page features via the links below.

Best irons...

...Overall...Easy to launch...Enjoyment...Shotmaking...Technology packedAnd as this is the official discussion thread, we look forward to your comments.

best-irons-2020-shotmaking-2020.png

best-irons-2020-best-technology-packed.png

best-irons-2020-pure-enjoyment-2020.png

best-irons-2020-easy-to-launch-2020.png

best-irons-2020.png

I'd have to add the Ping i500 irons alongside the TM P790's in all the categories. Very easy to hit, launch, excellent distance, and fun to play. Plus, they are one of the best looking clubs I've played in years. Although they've been out since Fall 2018, they are still current with Ping. When you have one of the best, it's tough to improve.

• Like 1

Ping G425MAX 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus Red TR

Ping G425MAX 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 5-AW w/Ping Alta CB

Ping Glide 4.0 56°-58° w/Recoil ES SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58 Midsize

All Swing Grips: Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Midsize

Surprised the Mavrik irons didn’t make easy launch or technical packed. They be some special irons.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I think Titleist was hurt having to split a vote between the T100 and T100s on the polls, yet they still finished very high (3rd best shotmaking, 4th best technology, 2nd best overall).

The TM p790 is NOT a better iron in all of these categories... especially compared to some of the other irons that finished in the top 5, and others that weren't even mentioned.

• Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

You just have to love these "I love and play what I just purchased" surveys.

What are the odds that even 20% of respondents hit more than 2 of the irons off green grass?

• Like 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Agree 100% with the results. I was in the market this year to replace my MP60. Though people hyped up the new Mizuno MP20 line, I am glad I tested out everything myself without falling trap blindly following people's opinion. My final 2 top contenders were T100s and Z785. This comes to prove that marketing hype and preconceived perception should always be taken with a bucket load of salt and do your own testing to make your choice. I am glad I went with Z785 especially at the bargain price I bought them!

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

For the first time in 16 years i purchased a new set of irons. I was using the Taylormade RAC CB irons. I simply loved these clubs. When hit well it gives you immediate feedback you hit it well. Very accurate and they just looked great standing over the ball. When I started to have a family I played a lot less golf. I missed it but couldn't justify spending big bucks on a new set of irons. Soon the tech in Irons was getting too complicated. At one time was going to spend money on the Bridgestone J33 but something came up and couldn't swing it. It was by luck I was working from home with the COVID-19 pandemic on our hands and I received an email from Srixon factory was reopening. I looked at the website and loved the 785 irons. So i fooled around with the custom settings and next thing you know I bought my first rions in over a decade. BEST DECISION I have ever made. They are sweet. Buttery soft. You can control and shape the shot. I already dropped a full point on my handicap. Broke 80 two rounds in a row for the first time ever! I paired these heads with the Project X LZ shafts. Simply perfection. These irons were made for this shaft and this shaft was made for these Irons. If you have the chance. Check out the 785. You won't be disappointed!!!!

• Like 1

That's a great story. My experience this year is a little similar. It had been 12 years since I bought clubs. I even had the original grips on them for goodness sake. I went to a Titleist Thursday and was totally sold on the T100 irons and felt this was finally the year. I also went with the Project X LZ shaft, and it was a great feeling shaft. What shaft did you have before that?

• Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Thank you!!! I had your basic True Temper S300 shaft. At the time the Taylormade RAC CB's were the must have irons. Then there was the hoopla over them being tour heads and or Miura forging. I was like wow. Turns out, my irons are tour heads but not miura forgings. I remember going to a demo day and the Taylormade reps were checking out my bag. They kept saying you have better stuff then we do!!! I was lucky at the time. My wife worked and i worked only a four day work week so I golfed 3 to 4 times a week. Then we decided to have a family and my golfing went from 3 to 4 times a week to maybe twice a month if lucky.

Sorry for the long winded answer. In short I simply love the project x LZ shafts. My ball flight is perfect and the feel with these irons are better than i could imagine. Srixon did a great job. I was so worried i forgot my personal custom specs but they are identical to my RAC's.

p1010004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with this.

I've went through a few sets of irons this year, as I always do. I like to tinker! But, I got a set of TM P790's (2019) to try to see what the hype was about and they never left the bag. I sold all of my other sets (MP 20 SEL, PXG 0311T, Ping i500, and Titleist AP2's).

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

I got hypnotised by the insane distance I got out of the p790s on an indoor fitting, low spin but high launch and so long. Unfortunately, out on the course I really struggled with distance control. Took them back and exchanged them for an mp20 mmc/mb combo set and gave back a few yards but gained back some control. Interestingly, I hated the HMBs - couldn’t hit them.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS. 100% THIS

I have seen piles of people fit into P790's, lured into thinking they need to hit their irons longer. So when their playing partners ask what they hit, the person can say a 9 iron when their buddies all hit 8 or 7.

I guess the mentality is, my scores have gone up because I fly a pile of greens, and my GIR has gone down, but my golf "dong" is bigger than theirs so I don't care.

There were way TOO many lower spin players put into an iron (P790 or other hollowed bodied iron) that now can't control their distance because every shot that has a little dew or grass or dirt between the ball and club face now becomes some sort of flier.

==

I have a buddy that the P790 was the best iron for him ever. He could almost spin a 6 or 7 iron back. He doesn't want to relearn the game, so I sold him mine. His scores have gotten better and when the wind blows he doesn't want to quit now. He is the exception, not the rule, very few people spin their irons too much.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

the p790 is the perfectly designed club to be sold out of the Indoor fittings. Especially when using a 6i. Great numbers and almost guaranteed to increase distance over current sticks.

got mine out on the course and just hated the short irons. Not enough spin at all even though they worked for me in the longer clubs.

makes me wish there was a better way to get fit for combo sets since most places only use a 6i or 7i for fitting

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Peter Sarro said:

I guess nobody has ever heard of Miura irons, better than anything on this list.

there aren’t any irons on that list that are $300 per stick. Miura have a great product and certainly have a cult following around here, but at that price point, you’re just not going to win any “best of” lists. (Controversial part) Plus, if they were miles better, you’d have more that Abe and Charl playing them on tour... there are plenty of non contracted guys out there. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Got lucky and found a set of P790's that had been traded in and played maybe 4 or 5 rounds.

Like new.  Got on trackman and computer and specs. were right on the money!  I was playing

Ping G410's before finding the 790's.  Distance was better, dispersion tighter.  Height and descent 

good.  Spin numbers on the mark.  I was very surprised at the performance of the 790's.    More

surprised that I could play them.  I am 63 years old and a 9 handicap.  The look at address screams players iron...very little off set.  The feel, distance and forgiveness is impressive.  I can hit a fade or a draw without much difficulty.  While I am not playing the G410's anymore...I am playing the G410 woods.  Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and 2 hybrid.  They are MONEY.  Hardly miss a fairway with the driver and the woods go where they are aimed and long for an old goat.

I got lucky and picked up 2017 P790's for $600.00!  One third of the 2019 models that had a 

price increase of 24.9%!  Not enough difference in the current model to merit paying $1800.00!

I also started gaming an "Atlanta" Toulon mallet putter.  It is cooperating nicely!

I can tell you now, when I wear out this current set of irons...I will look for another set of Taylormade's to replace them.  BUT, I will look for a used set before I will spend the kind of money new sets cost!

Equipment costs are getting out of control.  $160.00 for a wedge?!  REALLY?! 

I am fortunate and have belonged to a private club the last eight years.  Dues 

continue to increase.  While I enjoy the convenience it provides me, I can no longer

justify the cost per round breakdown.  Costs are getting out of control again.  If the

industry is not careful, it will damage itself.  Younger generation has not the time nor

the disposeable income us old goats have accumulated.  I imagine like me, some will

start to pull back and say enough is enough.  My 30,00 foot view.  Please let me know

your thoughts.  Have a good one.     

• Like 1

I'm still playing the CB Pro Tungstens in my sig line.

But, of the 2020 irons I tried, I was really impressed with the Mavrik MAX. The base Mavrik did not launch that well for me. The MAX, however, flew about 10 yards longer - and higher - than the base Mavrik. Both used the same Catalyst graphite shaft.

Plus, the MAX irons have higher lofts. MAX 7i = 30* / Base Mavrik 7i = 27*

And, one GolfWRXer mentioned having a curious blended Mavrik iron set: MAX + Pro.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I'm not sure you can do better than a combo of MMC and MP20s in my mind.  They might be the best irons i've ever hit in my life.  

• Like 1

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

On 8/3/2020 at 7:31 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

^^^^^^^^^ THIS. 100% THIS

I have seen piles of people fit into P790's, lured into thinking they need to hit their irons longer. So when their playing partners ask what they hit, the person can say a 9 iron when their buddies all hit 8 or 7.

I guess the mentality is, my scores have gone up because I fly a pile of greens, and my GIR has gone down, but my golf "dong" is bigger than theirs so I don't care.

There were way TOO many lower spin players put into an iron (P790 or other hollowed bodied iron) that now can't control their distance because every shot that has a little dew or grass or dirt between the ball and club face now becomes some sort of flier.

==

I have a buddy that the P790 was the best iron for him ever. He could almost spin a 6 or 7 iron back. He doesn't want to relearn the game, so I sold him mine. His scores have gotten better and when the wind blows he doesn't want to quit now. He is the exception, not the rule, very few people spin their irons too much.

P790 were long but distance control was a nightmare for me.  I never owned an iron set that caused me to fly more greens than the P790.  

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 3:44 AM, Mookieb10 said:

there aren’t any irons on that list that are $300 per stick. Miura have a great product and certainly have a cult following around here, but at that price point, you’re just not going to win any “best of” lists. (Controversial part) Plus, if they were miles better, you’d have more that Abe and Charl playing them on tour... there are plenty of non contracted guys out there. 

I have owned a few sets of Miura. Nothing special. I even owned the raw MB’s and were decent but I have felt better butter from production blades. 
I even wondered if they were fake knock offs. But to each their own.

I have seen so many buds go to p790’s. They have all improved.

I am not impressed so tried the Cobra TEC’s (First Gen / Blacks but stripped raw) and MP25’s. 
Played the MP25’s a lot and saw a little distance added. The TEC’s were like a full club. Both butter and crisp but wound up back with the MP25’s for distance control.

Will give the TEC’s another chance this Spring but really want to try the i210’s.

thanks for sharing. GolfWrx rocks!

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

• 4 weeks later...

MP-20 Blades  ... it's not hype. I've played golf for 40 years. I've hit 1000s of clubs. The MP-20 blades are my all-time favorites. The feel is perfection. (I have never hit a Miura, however, which is about the only thing I could imagine giving my Mizuno blades a run for their money). 

I like the HMB OK, but it's obviously a completely different animal. As hallow-headed irons go, it's very good. But it's not the same experience. 

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

• 1 month later...