2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

July Motivation: Hip to be Square

Played again yesterday, misses were still left which is good, but way left now (poor houses on that course haha). Self diagnosing I'd say it's my grip, had a strong grip forever to battle the slice. Now I am closed to the swing path. Ball starts straight and starts turn left hard. I could also swing less in to out, but I don't think I really have the whole in to out thing ingrained yet and that could backfire. Putting got back on track, threatened to put my putter on BST and she smartened up.

Playing Wednesday so might be trial by fire again, not sure If I can get out to the range.

As for the goals GIR is hanging around at 3/18, fairways at 33.3%

First tournament weekend is over and even though I didn't win, I saw a lot of positives in my game. Over the course of the weekend there was one part of my game that stood out as better than the rest and that was my tee shots. Everything else had room for improvement, but the driver and woods performed great. What failed me was, yet again, the putter. I failed to make a lot of short birdies in the first round and while we still shot -4, the leaders shot -7 and -8. The second round was shortened by rain to 9 holes. This is where I saw cracks in my game. I did not hit my irons solid at all and failed to make up and downs. I felt like my putter didn't save me at all and started to notice I was pushing everything. The third round I switched putters. With this putter I could tell that my miss was a cut stroke. That's when putts started to fall and I started to play well again. We shot -5 with 3 bogeys. So with 9 holes remaining, we had played ourselves into the final group (a big goal of mine), but 5 shots back of the leaders and pretty much out of the tournament. We ended up finishing in 3rd place after a bad 9 holes, but overall happy with the tournament. The kid that won recently graduated and decided to take a full time job and not turn pro. His partner did not help him for a single shot the entire weekend and he shot -15 over 3 rounds AND, he might be playing in the same tourney as me next weekend.

So the grind this week continues with the goal being to (duh) get better. My focus points will be distance control, wedge practice (my new wedge shaft will be here wednesday), and putting.

Hahaha... sounds like you are going to have some tough local competition.... Steel sharpens steel!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Once again Mondays are my day to squeeze in 18 after work. And with no one in front of me and no pressure anywhere, I was able to finish with my best round of the year. I made a bunch of birdies on the front 9 and finished with a chip in birdie on 17 and a birdie on 18 to shoot 66 (-5). Very happy with how my game is going and I only see myself getting better. I had 25 putts which is a personal best on the year and 13 greens. The only place I was lacking was my wedge game from 90-110. I definitely need to be better from that distance.

Nice! That's a great round and an impressive number of putts.

I've only gotten to play 9 recently and walked it without my pushcart... It was hot. My putting still sucks... Headed to Idaho tomorrow and bringing my clubs, so hoping I can get some quality time on the golf course with my dad.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Hahaha. I’m dumb.

moved my grip back up about 3 inches on my counter balanced putter... so much better. Like shockingly better.

brutal round with 20mph winds... but actually putted decently!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I used to have an insta-slice swing, especially with driver. Years of lessons turned it into a draw. We eventually weakened my grip when I started to hit pull hooks. So I’d definitely consider trying it. I also had my irons bent flatter to take the new swing into account. Modern irons tend to be more upright to help deal with slices.

Well the second weekend is finally over and it was mostly successful. All weekend my partner played his normal golf without birdies. He never shot higher than a 77 or 78, but he did not make a single birdie all weekend. The first day we played well but couldnt capitalize on our birdie opportunities. The worst part was sitting on 18 with a 8 foot putt to shoot -4 and 3 putting to shoot -2. That stung and prompted me to switch putters for day 2. Day 2 was worse. We struggled all day and putting didnt even matter cause we couldnt get on the green. Lots of up and downs for par and on our 13th hole we were +1 for the day. I chipped in on that hole, birdied a par 5, and birdied a tough hole for a skin to end up shooting -2 again. That put us -4 for the weekend and 6 back of the leaders who were -10. The way the tournament was formatted was first and second flights played stroke play for the gross tournament, and then the winners of each flight qualified for the shootout (there were 18 flights). We were in the first flight, so technically you could lose the tournament to a team in the second flight and still make the shootout. We went out the last day thinking we needed to shoot low and we played well. I changed my putting grip to an interlocking style and it worked wonders. We ended up shooting -3 with a huge birdie on 18. The leaders who were 6 ahead of us ended up blowing up and shooting +6, so we won the first flight, but finished second in the tournament. We qualified for the shootout where everyone in the club comes out with the beer cart and watches. over 100 people watching makes for some very stressful shots. We did well and made it to the final 2 of our 9 group wave, but we ended up being knocked out by a team that was stroking on a par 5 with a 15 foot putt for birdie net eagle.

So looking back at my goals for the 2 member guest weekends:

I wanted to win one. Or at least be in the final group to feel the pressure of people watching. I failed that goal with 3rd place and 2nd place finishes, but I was in the final group last weekend and made it to the shootout this weekend, so I definitely felt the pressure and it was awesome. I drove the ball amazingly both weekends. The second weekend I started to hit the ball with more spin on my drives than I want, but they all went straight. I may have to deloft my driver to try and take spin out. Irons were not good at all day 2. But much better on day 3. Putting was fantastic on day 3. I may not have made a ton of putts, but I felt confident over everything and I havent had that in a while. I will have to work with this putting grip a bit more.

@dmecca2 Overall it sounds like you performed well in the tournaments. The area that stands out is putting. Are you in the habit to switch putters around day to day? It looks like you switched putters each weekend. Are you able to get a putter fitting to find one that suits you long term? I would think using a single putter would help you long term. The entire knowing how it behaves and the ball rolls off it; One less variable to be dealing with etc. It's the similar to using the same ball, you get used to it and know what to expect.

Maybe I'm an odd one on GolfWRX since I've been using the same putter since 2004 or so. It's not fit and likely not perfect since it was a lemming purchase when Odyssey WHite Hot 2 ball putters were the rage.

You did well and your effort getting ready for theses paid off. You were in the mix and placed. I know the goal was to win but I'm sure you'll be able to build off your experience and they'll help you in the future. When is your next event?

I switch putters a LOT. For me, if I lose confidence with a putter or if the feel is off, I like to reset it with a new putter rather than continue struggling. I haven't ever been able to find "the putter" that fits me perfect or I feel like I can use forever. I always find something wrong with it and decide to switch. But as I always say when I switch putters, I hope this is the one that sticks with me for a long time. This one is a Tei3 that I've modified myself but cutting it down to 33.5 inches, putting a new grip on, adjusting the lie and loft, and adding lead tape.

As for my next tourney I dont have any plans. I am going on vacation this week so I dont plan on playing at all. I was invited to play a club championship at a 9 hole course to qualify for their coal scuttle team, so I will most likely do that on August 1st and 2nd. I dont plan on practicing for that though. I also heard my club may be doing a match play event august 15th so if they decide to do that I will be practicing for that event.

That’s funny you switch putters so much... I’m with @bortass and stick with one putter... I’ve had two since 2004. Granted, I’m an awful putter so I tend to blame myself and not my equipment.
I played decently into gale force winds my last round... some dumb mistakes but my putting is finally getting back to mediocre instead of bad.
crushed a drive. Crushed it. Best drive I’ve hit all weekend... it was into the wind and went 240 yards... it would have gone 280+ at sea level and I’m in the mountains... the wind was freaking howling.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Played twice last week, and my fairways are up, and green are about the same. Going to keep the same goals going forward.

Now for some good news bad news; Seems like Florida is going ahead with youth sports this Fall season. I coach youth football, and I love it so I am excited to get back out there. The bad news is that leaves little time for improvement. No range time in August as we practice everyday sans weekends (pending weather). No late afternoon rounds after work. Just Sunday rounds again pending weather.

I'm hoping just taking some swings in the house can hold me over a few months and prevent rust but we shall see.

I both miss and hate two a days... (played in Texas). Keep your kids hydrated!

bring a wedge to the practices and instead of making them run laps, have kids chase down golf balls! Close out the day with a sprint for the ball in full pads... should be fun!

hip is still hurts, got my butt electrocuted today, so that was fun... hoping it helps speed recovery.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

It's all fun and games until I concuss two of them diving for a ball haha. Parents are critical enough without injuries. It will be a lot of teaching as our staff moved from 7U to 9U, and I run the defense. Nothing like a 4-4 stacked to cause confusion on the other team.

Back to golf; I pulled my stats from the last month (mid June to mid July).FIR up from 29.5% to 33.6%. GIR up 4% to 13.6%. Low but the last 3 rounds 50% on the par 3s. Also in correlation I dropped my scoring average on Par 3s by 0.4 strokes so even my misses are better. Putting slightly up but I suspect that's from more GIR. Also dropped my penalties avg down by 1.06

20 putt 38 on the front side today... just awful putting.

hit a flag stick on one hole, almost holed out on another but couldn’t make the eight footer back... the greens are 20% of my issue... need to settle down.

playing a different course tomorrow... we will see how it goes.

hit one 330 with the wind at my back (I’m at altitude in Idaho) that one was fun until I made bogey.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I had my first lesson today since starting to play again, so it's been over 8 years. I have a half dozen things to work on now. The biggies are my aim, I aim further right than I think; Rotating my hips instead of sliding forward; Lastly, is getting my left arm further behind me at the end of my back swing. I don't know the correct term for the last one. So I have my work cut out for me at the range for the foreseeable future. Fun fun.

Nothing to report this week golf-wise. Was on vacation and haven't touched a club in over a week, which means my mind goes into "what if" scenarios regarding different putters. I listened to a podcast recently from Edel and he describes a study done that shows how people are able to aim better with a round grip over a grip with a flat surface. He also talked about how if the alignment line is placed in different areas on the putter it will make people aim differently. If the line is further back on the putter, it will make you aim right. Further forward is left, and no line is also right. Which is what I struggled with. So I may try to see if I can get one with a line at the front of the putter at a good price.

I have a club championship this weekend at a small 9 hole course. I haven't played there, but I'm good friends with the owner of the course and I go there in the winter weekly to use their trackman and he wants me to play to qualify for their club team. So I need to finish top 5. I will practice a bit tomorrow but that's it. Even though I was on vacation last week I am exhausted. Bridal showers are fun for the girls, but I'm the one that has to carry the boxes around.

Played Friday and Sunday this week. Friday was a new course, and one with water everywhere, I think it was 13/18 holes. and I did ok for me. Short game killed me that round. not sure if it was a bad day, or I was just being tentative as I didn't know the greens etc. Either way tentative and non committal on short shots is never good. 43% fairways so I was happy with that.

Played a familiar course Sunday and shot well. Really just one hole I wish never existed. Had maybe the best birdie of my life. About 175 to the hole, back pin on a side hill ball below my feet lie. Was honestly hoping for front of the green, but you know that nice click when you flush it, it happened and I had a 2f ooter for birdie.

Also found out my power with adrenaline added is pretty good haha. Background some jackwagon hit one of our groups carts, with them in it, between two holes with a tight area between green and next tee. Kinda just gave the what he heck two hands in the air, and he came up and said it wasn't that far off line and hurry the blank up. So words would exchanged including a Boston salute by me. next drive on 17 was 285 and just in the rough. The on 18 I somehow sailed the greed from 190 with a 6i. Had to be a flyer but maybe I should play angry more often hahaha. I think my partners would disagree though

@dmecca2 a change of pace like that can be helpful. You got to spend time focused on other things instead of actual practice. That's interesting info you shared on putters. Good luck with the club championship!

I played Saturday and my lesson impacted the round. It's a struggle to leave the lesson off the course for me. I can sometimes do it but not always. The main issue was I am a dummy. The teacher noticed I was aiming right and told me to move my right foot forward a touch. This happened throughout the lesson. Well for some reason, cause I'm a dummy, I was moving it backwards a bit. I was losing my tee shots well right. I caught it on 18 and moved my foot forward and actually hit a very rare true fade with my driver. Hoping to get to the range this week to work on things if family matters allow.

One last round for me in Idaho tomorrow... hip is still aching. Hoping I can roll it out tonight and finish my trip with a score in the seventies...

I started putting with my eyes closed yesterday and my results were better than with my eyes open... that has to say something about how bad my putting has been.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Yeah, I need to change something... need to figure out what.

not sure if it’s setup, putter, technique or everything... I’m pretty sure my technique is decent on the practice greens... not sure if it’s just mental or what.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Actually made some putts! Moved my focus back to my actual stroke on the green... wasn't worried about anything else... No three putts on 9 holes, sunk 2 birdie putts... Not bad misses. Just significantly better. August is coming... need to refocus on diet, exercise and get some rounds in. I've had good rounds with all parts of my game... if I can get them all to click, I'm going to put up a good number... honestly, I just need to make sure to get enough rounds in to give myself a shot.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

So I played this 9 hole course on Tuesday and its tiny. There's a couple driveable par 4's and the par 5's are all driver wedge, but at least the par 3's are tough. The greens are slow and maybe run a 5 or 6 on the stimp, but they're fun. I will be using a different putter so I don't mess up my real putting. On Tuesday I shot -4 with a bogey, but I had no idea what I was doing out there. It felt like I was coming out of winter golf, but I played well. Should be a fun tournament and all I need to do is finish in the top 5 to make their team, which should be no problem. should....

As for real golf, I just purchased a new putter this morning. Gonna try out the Edel Torque balanced putters with the round grips. Hopefully will be in next week and I can get some practice with it before my next tournament which will be a club match play thing August 15th and 16th.