A Day at Bandon

Going to have one day at Bandon Dunes in the fall. Wanna play one of the courses then a trek around Preserve before I head back to where we are staying on the coast. Which course is an absolute must play?

Update: Thanks again to everyone who gave advice! Had a blast...

Pacific Dunes is an amazing course... when the wind picked up on the back it was a bear!

Bandon Dunes was equally as awesome... wind mellowed but it was HOT! Loved the blend of inland and ocean holes!

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

IMG_2640.jpeg

IMG_2641.jpeg

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2645.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

Edited by deckmc4868
Update

Driver: G400 LST 8.5* Ping Tour XStiff 75

Fairway: G400 14.5* Ping Tour XStiff 75

Hybrid: G410 19* Ping Tour XStiff 85

Irons: i200 4-UW Dynamic Gold x100 Midsize grips +1 1/2" White Dot 

Wedges: Vokey SM7 54* and 58* +1 1/2" 2* upright Midsize grips

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport

Ball: Pro V1

While I appreciate your blunt response... I am also interested in anyones feed back on the other 5 courses.

I don't need a consensus. I would like opinions to then formulate my own. Like why do you like Old Mac?

Really confused how my attitude is poor, but you are absolutely correct. I didn't ask my question in a way to get the answer I was looking for... obviously Bandon is amazing, all the threads I read through were people giving their opinions on the courses with no reasoning. Just their thought on which ones are the best. I would love to hear why people enjoy each course.

If you only have one round, I'm going to say Old Mac.

It's fun to play and won't beat you up score wise. It has plenty of fun holes and while it doesn't have the seaside views of the others it has great views of the property.

My second choice would be Sheep Ranch because it's new so you'd get to be one of the few who has actually played it. The videos I have seen of it are quite spectacular.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Tough call, but Pacific Dunes is the logical and default choice. No ocean holes at Trails or Old Mac. Old Mac is a love it or hate it course so don't risk it. Bandon Dunes is a poor man's Pacific Dunes, but is often many golfer's favorite at the end of the trip.

Can't speak to the Sheep Ranch as I won't play it until next March.

I look at it this way, Pacific Dunes has it all and is ranked the highest for a reason.

Pacific Dunes; best hole on the property is 4. Best par 3 on the property in 11. 10-13 is an amazing stretch that sums up the Bandon experience.Bandon Trails; love the variety, a Coore Crenshaw beauty.Bandon Dunes; best final stretch of 16-18 and the back 9 may be my favorite 9 holes.Old Mac; maybe the closest I ever get to Scotland.I haven't played Sheep Ranch (yet).

Old Mac is the most “fun” course I’ve played more than once. Pacific is amazingly dramatic. Trails is an excellent design and an impressive use of land. Bandon Dunes is a great course but is a distant 4th for me because it isn’t the best at anything there.

Note: I’ve only played the Sheep Ranch the old way. It could be the best now.

Why don’t you let us know what are you looking for when picking the course or in a course you like?

we all have different favorites and for different reasons YET most of us that go regularly agree on the pros and cons of each course.

Example, Trails is my favorite and just 1 part of my reasoning is the serenity. When I am playing Trails I feel like my group is the only group on the course. You may see a group in front or behind but the way it is routed you aren’t right next to groups

or Old Mac, every time I play it it’s just a fun round. I don’t think it is the best on property at anything and most holes aren’t all that memorable but I also enjoy myself.

And to an above poster, I think 17 on Trails is my favorite par 3 on property

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor and learn how to use the ignore feature for some of the Richard Nogins here. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of the courses. They are all fantastic. Bandon Trials is the only one that’s not links layout, however it’s still a great course. Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes are similar. Old Mac is more open with enormous greens, and I have not played Sheep Ranch yet. If I was going to pick just one to play it would be Bandon Dunes because its balance of scenery, hoel layout, and it's not quite as difficult as Pacific. But once again, I would be happy playing any of them.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Pacific Dunes - while each course has it's own personality, and as others have mentioned, we could argue all day about the whats and whys, PD is the best overall example of links golf at the resort.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

No Laying Up did a podcast over their trip to bandon a few years back, and at one point compared each course to the woman a man would be with at different times in his life ... they describe the courses fairly well ... check their website and look it up ...

There are a few other vlogs on youtube from Erik Anders Lang and the Golfholics playing the different courses if you want to see what you prefer.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I would just show up and go into pro shop and have them get you out on whatever is available, Whichever course they put you on will be on your all time list of courses. That is the beauty of the place. All 5 courses are the best...in their own way. One you play one, you will plan a return trip that you can take more time and play them all. Once you do that, you will be able to decide for yourself which one is the best. Your list will change with each subsequent trip. Your list will be different than mine and everyone else's. That is the beauty of the place. I am going net week and my list will undoubtedly change...again

• Like 1

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

For your first time and only one round, Pacific or Bandon would be my choice with slight advantage to Pacific. It has a better variety of holes, especially the non-ocean ones. Bandon's non ocean holes are great but not as good as Pacific IMO.

As you play there more, I've noticed my favorite has shifted. First trip was Bandon, next was Pacific. By my third trip there, I started to really appreciate what a masterpiece Trails is, its solidy my 2nd favorite, right behind Pacific.

Old Mac is great but quirky with some maddening greens. I consider it a great replay option but definitely a lower tier than Bandon, Pacific or Trails.

• Like 1

Pac is the showiest, fantastic views, some marquee holes, and the easiest one to think highly of at first blush, but least traditional links-like of the courses with too many aerial approaches and also 3 mundane par 5s that are essentially there to eat up ground

Bandon is my favorite, so I am biased in that regard, best wow moment starts best 3 hole stretch, great match play closing 5 holes (allbeit like most of them another meh par 5, finishes it) and more prettiness and views

Old Mac is the best (by design of course) approximation of a traditional links if you want that, between it and Bandon for most fun, limited views, although a class one climbing the hill on 3 and 7, it might average out the highest amongst our foursome

Trails is great as well, but for 1 round, go oceanside.

I'm discounting SR because I doubt the turf is as linksy as the others yet (haven't played it though) since it just opened.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

@deckmc4868 I'd go for Bandon Dunes or Pacific Dunes. I love Trails but it's inland and lets face it, you don't go to Bandon for the trees, you go for the ocean views. Old Mac was cool, but again no ocean holes. I'm a midwest guy, so oceanside courses are not all that common so I'd go for that and the views. If you're from somewhere where ocean golf is common, maybe go for Trails or Old Mac. Bandon and Pacific have the best views of the ocean and holes along the ocean (I haven't played Sheep Ranch yet, which is supposed to be the best for this) and that's what I'd want to see. IMO Bandon is the more simple, original style course there, and Pacific has similar views at times but IMO has harder holes and can be far more penal and wicked.

But in the end, it's a day at Bandon and you can't go wrong with that. Enjoy.

I'm a big fan of Old Mac. The greens are amazing. It's quirky. Here are links to photo tours of the first four courses.

Link tor reviews from 2011 trip: https://golfcourses.weebly.com/bandon-dunes-resort-bandon-oregon.htmlhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631879262419/ - Old Mac Photo tourhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631879505589/ Pacific Dunes Photo tourhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631879505589/ Bandon Trails photo tourhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631876242641/ Bandon Dunes Photo tour

SR has the most/best views and will be WINDY. Quite a stretch from 15,16,17 run along the cliff line. Lots of infinity holes. It's also the easiest to walk with most risk reward. 18 needs to be a par 4. Tee boxes and greens are close together

BD - Traditional, course is great shape for US Am. They've removed a ton of gorse so it's a lot easier to play than when it first opened up.

PD - Greens weren't the best when we played in June. Course is fantastic, like Bandon, lot's of different types of holes.

Old Mac - TIs a golf architects dream, every type oh hole you can think of. But like many say, love it or hate it.

BT - Inland course with lots of trees. FW wide open but don't let that lure you to spraying it, makes for harder approaches and greens. Like MallRat, Par 3 - 17th is one of the best. 18 has gotten better.

Everybody relax, I’m here

Back home tonight from Bandon...second trip this year. My feet and legs are tired! Not cheap, but heaven on earth for any golfer. So fun. My course rankings (all are excellent courses...just my "favorites" list):

1. Bandon Trails - I like every hole on the course....even the controversial 14th. It is just such a wonderful walk and variety of holes

2. Old Macdonald - even in high winds like we had this morning, it was fun and playable. Good variety of holes. Some of the templates don't work for me (e.g. the Redan) but it is the course we chose to play twice this trip.

3. Sheep Ranch - placeholder ranking. Very fun course, again even in high winds. The most beautiful, amazing opening hole in golf. Greens right now are a weird mix of super firm, but relatively slow, so needs some time to mature. Was even difficult putting a tee peg in the ground! A couple of holes are just average, and the 18th is a par 4, not a par 5. Confusing routing in spots, so good to have a caddy there. Absolutely the most scenic course on the property.

4. Preserve par 3 course - I generally don't get excited about par 3 courses, but this one is the exception. Great variety of short and medium length holes...super fun to play with friends after or before another round. Love the 60 yd hole and a blast to putt it on the 13th.

5. Bandon Dunes - really opened up in recent years...gorse trimmed in several places. Very fun to play...can understand why many say it is their favorite.

6. Pacific Dunes - the most highly rated course on property, but just too tough to be enjoyable for me when there is a two-club north wind like we had this week. Just too many ball busters.

As noted above, while Pacific is the most highly rated in magazines etc, in windy conditions it is just too difficult for me to enjoy. I would eagerly play 1-5 above at any time...Pacific Dunes only with a sense of upcoming dread, though I would for sure play it if I was there for 3 days or more.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I would say don’t play Trails or Old Mac if you only have one day. I absolutely love both courses by the way. Trails is like something you may have seen before. Get as close to the ocean as you can. Old Mac is awesome, but some people don’t love it so I think skipping it is a “safe” play.

Bandon is awesome and a bit more tame than Pacific. When I was there we picked Bandon as our last round before we left and I don’t regret that.

If I were you, I would call up and see the earliest tee time you can get at pac, Bandon or sheep ranch. Book that time - then get the earliest time after expected completion time of your first round for your next round at one of the other two courses. If you have time after your second round, hit up the preserve.

whatever you do, you will love it.

Thanks for the SR update. How are the transitions from apron to green? Assume we're a good two years from approximating the playing conditions we'd like and what 5 from being nearer still?

Do they tend to be a bit grabby (like Poppy/Corica on reopen)? Apart from the greens, generally shaggy or they have the fairways fairly trim?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Amazing that's exactly how i rank them... sheep was honestly a little rough playing with how slow the greens were. Routing wise i thought it was enjoyable. And yes! 18 is a par 4. our entire foursome had mid irons in

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5