SuperSpeed Golf training system

You're an inspiration. I'm trying to get my CHS up. I am seeing some increase in SS CHS and using Fit 4 Golf's program to add some power. Right now handicap is a 2-3, but I want to start competing in more events near me. A lot of guys I'm going up against are in the 110-120 range and according to Blast Motion I have to go after it to get to 100MPH. Hoping this all pays off!

Oh man there's so many posts on this!

I know I am lazy and don't want to scroll through every post but I just ordered a set of the sticks 2nd hand on ebay but have no instructions with them.

Can anyone summarise the best way to get results and also tips/shortcuts? I know some of it involves kneeling swings. Are they kind of pointless?

Thanks

So I started with the blue stick only in early May and have had 15 sessions. I take five swings and record the second highest out of the five. Type - start @ may 5 - Today

Driver - 100 - 116

blue Right - 101 - 118

blue Left - 91 - 113

blue step R - 101 - 122

blue step L - 92 - 114

driver - 104 - 123

on course, my drives are about 20 yards longer than usual but irons haven’t changed much. Sadly, handicap has gone up but hope that’s just an aberration

• Like 1

HUGE CHS gains for me today. Like never seen myself this fast ever. The last 7 weeks or so I've been doing SS religiously 3x a week (level 2). I also added in the C club that I do once a week (normal level 2 workout 2x a week and C club 1x). I'm also on my 3rd week of Fit for Golf SuperSpeed program. I lifted plenty in high school. Never totally saw the gains on the golf course and when I went to a TPI guy back then it was high reps low weight and a lot of flexibility. Didn't get me an ounce of distance. Here is where I'm at now.

6/17/2020: Warmup Avg CHS: 96.5MPH GO AFTER IT AVG CHS: 101.7 Cruising AVG CHS: 99.2 6/22/2020 Warmup Avg CHS: 103.6 GO AFTER IT AVG CHS: 110.1 Cruising AVG CHS: 103.8

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? In less than a week I jumped 7-8 MPH. Un-real. I was almost getting discouraged with SuperSpeed. Just not seeing any gains and obviously not moving fast. My goal is 113 cruising speed. I think I can do it. For the first time ever I hit 113MPH. Before today I struggled to get to 106. Tons of confidence and even my irons are up about 7-8MPH.

• Like 1

I've looked up so many videos on youtube on this. Everyone does a video ''I'll be doing superspeed golf over x amount months and will be updating you on my progress'' and then nobody has fone a follow up video bar maybe a week or two after starting if you can find that at all.

Either it doesn't work or its a pain in the ass and unenjoyable to do?

I bought a 2nd hand set and they arrived today. No instructions with it though. Are you supposed to record your swingspee with the protocols or just when you are hitting a ball?

It can exacerbate the flaws in your swing swinging as fast as you can.

Unless you have hours to work on your swing after super speed work or just so happen to actually have better mechanics swinging the sticks as fast as possible, people just injure themselves or can’t find the middle of the clubface.

i hope it works for you.

I think the lack of the second video will be the same issue that never gets addressed even in this thread which I do my best to harp on, which is if you don’t synthesize your gains with a real ball you’re not developing any real usable speed.

At some point you have to get in the gym and work on your strength and flexibility. Speed is useless if your body can’t handle the gains.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I agree. I am or was a regular gym goer (until the gyms shut 3 months ago and they are too dangerous to go back into now ). Anyway I had made decent gains using non superspeed methods over the last 5 yrs however I have sort of plateaud and want something that might shock my system into another long term gain so decided to try the superspeed.

I see Ian Poulter using them but he just seems to swing them normally during his warm up. I haven;t noticed him going full tilt at it although I rarely see all of his warm ups. He has a baseball bat he swings too. Not sure what that does for him.

Middle stick only for speed and less of a chance of injury.

The baseball bat is to help with sequence of speed. It’s a feeling I chase when I have slow days or feel my control getting away from me with driver. Basically, it helps with feel awareness. It’s more how the hands function to create speed at the right time. Same as what Monte mentioned a few pages ago, but it just comes natural feel wise with a baseball bat.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

As well as using them a couple of times a week the way they were intended, I have started having 5 swings of each stick before I leave the house to go to the course. Completely unscientific of course, but I've found it gets the body looser quicker and i seemed to be much better sequenced through the first few holes rather than taking some time to zone in.

Might be all in my imagination, but so far it's working for me.......

I have done some overspeed training off and on over the years. I was inspired a month or two ago by this thread to cobble together some training clubs:

overspeed-jpg.jpgThe Orange Whip is the heavy club, the middle one is the light weight and the one with the piece of metal stuck on it is the little lighter then normal club. The maul is not for speed training but for building golf muscles LOL. I started out doing the overspeed training every day and hurt my back. I went to about two or three times a week doing a few reps with each club left and right handed which seems to work for me. I am able to hit 100 mph on the orange whip and have seen 130 mph with the light club. I do believe that this is working as I was able to swing my driver 100 mph at the driving range the other day with a nicely paced swing. A year and half ago I was around 95 mph so a little increase at my age (65) seems like a good thing. Really I am just trying to hang on to what I got for as long as possible.

Just started protocol 1. Takes about 5 or 7 mins to do. The left handed swings seem a waste of time. Does anyone find them beneficial? I dont see myself getting injured swinging right handed but I found it very easy to jar your wrist swinging left handed full out as I am not anywhere near as co-ordinated left handed. I didn't injure myself but felt a slight jarring of my right wrist through and ;after impact' swinging left handed (yes I am gripping it as I would a lef handed golfer with left hand low).

I think that the opposite handed swings are helpful and you will get better at them as you go along. The theory that I have read here or somewhere is that swinging opposite handed strengthens the muscles that slow the swing down on your normal side which makes it possible for you to swing faster.

• Like 1

I strongly second Fit for Golf. The workouts take awhile, about 50-60 minutes, but they are fantastic. I used the superspeed sticks for about 10 months and that raised my ball speed from 155 to 160-ish. Then I set those aside to do Fit For Golf. In the 4 months I've been doing Fit for Golf, my lower back pain has eased quite a bit and I've seen ball speeds on SkyTrak of 165-166 and even 169.

• Like 1

First Session done. Speeds were a bit all over the place. Maxed out at 137 with the green stick, 125 with blue and 120 with the red. Left hand swings and step swings felt so uncoordinated. I am slower with step swing than the normal swing.

Hit a few balls on the Skytrak afterwards, my big issue is coming out of it and catching it thin and Superspeed seemed to exarcebate that. Once I trained that back out I hit my longest ever shot on my SkyTrak, have carried one 239 before but was nice to crack the 240.

img-0312.jpg

• Like 1

I've followed this thread since the beginning and wanted to buy these. I waited because I have swing changes I need to make and didn't want to ingrain bad habits. I think I've made enough progress and perhaps more important my instructor thinks I'm far enough along to begin to work on improving my clubhead speed. I bought a set and they arrived yesterday. I'm excited!

A little background, I've never been long and as I get older and make the changes my clubhead speed has dropped a lot. I'm 66, about 5 years ago when getting fit for a driver my clubhead speed on the fitter's trackmsn with drivers was ~93-95 mph. I bought a Flightscope 4 years ago. I looked back through the data and my 7 iron was in the high 70s- low 80 mph range, and my 9 iron was in the mid 70s. Last week on a swing speed radar with no ball, my driver was in the mid to high 70s. That seems like a big loss, but I don't know how much of it is concentration on swing changes. I'm also about 10-15 yards shorter with irons on the course than even a year ago.
My initial plan is to go through the Superspeed protocol 1 with only the blue stick. I decided to adopt this approach from reading this thread because: I've followed how many highly enthused posters lost their enthusiasm for the program over the last three years and the number of people who had to lay off or quit due to injury, and the information from Par4success -thanks @bluedot! I will also begin to incorporate some strength and flexibility work.

I did blue only protocol 1 yesterday with out a radar. Today, I plan to take my Flightscope to the range and hit a few drivers, then maybe do a set of swings with the blue stick and then hit a few more drivers on Flightscope to see if there is any increase.

I apologize if this has been covered before; I used the search function to find what I was looking for, but as you all know, the search function sucks. Is there anyone here who plays a heavier-than-average driver (e.g., 350g+) that has had success using SuperSpeed without adding additional weight to the sticks?

My driver weighs 358g. The SuperSpeed website says the "Men's Set" is designed for those with drivers that weigh between 300g and 325g. I also heard in the recent Chasing Scratch podcast that the "ideal" weight difference for the sticks is 20% lighter than driver (green), 10% lighter than driver (blue), and 5% heavier than driver (red). Based on this, I need to add a crap ton of weight to the sticks because even the red stick weighs less than my driver. I think I need to add weight to get the proper differentials, but wanted to check-in here first.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Given the weight of your driver, an "average" weight driver would probably be be in the right ballpark of 10% less (which would be the blue stick for those with a normally weighted driver). As the poster above you mentioned, there was some discussion earlier in this thread that there is evidence that suggests doing only the blue stick may give you similar results compared to using all three.

Though I haven't seen any studies, some people say you don't even need SuperSpeed sticks -- just use an old driver with the protocols (flip the face backwards for non-dominant swings).

It might not be a bad idea to start the first protocol using just 5 reps each side with an old "average weight" driver. Even if you don't have one, I'm assuming one of your friends has an old one lying around to borrow for a few weeks.

@Philomathesq I read that Ben Hogan would hit some driver shots as hard as he could, I think at that end of his practice sessions because doing so would speed up his normal swing. I believe that he was right and I believe that pretty much any over speed training that we do will help us swing faster on the course.
I think that the superspeed system is good if you can do it but I don't know that it is better then something that you might come up with on your own. At my age (65) doing the superspeed routine that I watched on youtube is out of the question as it puts way too much stress on my body. I am quite happy with my lower rep and fewer days system and I am hitting it farther since I started my system.