Jumbomax Ultralite

dwb7272

Agree 100%, the Ultralights have just the right amount of firmness. I also play without a glove in the Houston humidity with no issues.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Yea they feel good and I also play sans gloves in temperate rainforest conditions. But it was honestly the weight that I find most impressive. Cut them open, awesome amount of tech for 12 dollars in my opinion.

The old ones are just simply too heavy. New ones, durability is absolutely an issue. I wish I was on tour lol, it would be pretty awesome to have a new set of these every round. Major difference in tack

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have issues with installation? My issue is even after 48hrs the grips are not dry and can with some effort, pull them off. Just using golfworks grip tape and solvent. I work on clubs and never had this issue and used the same solvent/tape on golf pride and the regular jumbomax grips at the same time on a few other sets I'm doing, those all good to go in under 24hrs. Thoughts? Is it the foam inside just takes longer to dry?

Yes. I had to build up with a couple layers of grip tape to avoid some of them feeling like they were installed loose, or still wet. It also seems that the occasional grip is not evenly tapered on the interior diameter, so the thickness of build up, and where specifically on the shaft you build it up, may vary from grip to grip. I found this is less of an issue on the small through large sizes, then on xl size.

I personally build up with an air gun, but if you do not have a compressor available, I recommend putting your groups once installed in front of a small space heater, this will speed up the drying process significantly. Don’t put it so close that you may heat the grip up to the point of damage

also, I really like lighter fluid for install, super fast dry. Or use mineral spirits, the odorless kind. I have even use WD-40. Both those seem to dry fairly quickly for me, but I prefer lighter fluid if I Absolutely cannot find an air compressor

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I decided to get one grip for my wife's and my driver. We both like it.

We then elected to get 4 UltraLites each and try them on more clubs - so far so good.

It seems like the medium size is sold out everywhere, but as soon as I can, I will be getting more to finish my set - I like them that much.

Now to figure out how to rearrange my bag for the easiest way to get clubs in/out.

I went from the mediums to the XL’s and have never looked back. Luckily I have a staff bag so getting them all to fit and go in/out easy hasn’t been a problem.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

My covid project was to buy a whole bunch of Demo 7-irons in my club set and try out all the different JumboMax grips.

I got SO, XS, SM and MD and put them all on 7-irons and took them to the range to compare to my normal 7-iron. Can definitely tell the weight difference as I get to the larger grips.

Conclusion that I came to is I am somewhere between the XS and SM; with leaning more towards the XS, the SO felt too much closely to my regular grip and the MD just to big (and heavy).

Just ordered a XS (SM was sold out) in the Jumbo Lite and comparing it. Once i have it decided I will do a complete grip change thru the bag.

Pretty excited about this! These grips feel great in the hands

Interesting that you could feel a significant weight difference between the ultra lite grips, as on a scale it is pretty negligible. I find it is definitely a different feel, but I notice very little,if any, difference in the swing/static weight.

Glad they worked out for u, they are a revelation for sure. Both me and my wife(she was not that into golf before the comfort of these grips), and honestly every friend that’s not into golf but may want to try, enjoy swinging the club more with these grips on.

as a carpal tunnel guy, I cannot sing the praises of this investment enough. But mind you, it is absolutely an investment, as with tax I’m getting hit at 15 bucks a grip. you could definitely justify replacing them as often as regular grips if you were not willing to beat the life Out of them, as I am.

They are able to be worn out more effectively than other grips I found, as you sort of impress into the material over time, therefore the loss of tackiness is kind of offset by increased contours.

All right I’m starting to sound like Bryson I’m done

I definitely agree with above on the weight issue. I started out with the Tour versions and noticed no change in performance from my NDMC Plus 4 midsize. Them I swapped to the Ultralights and again noticed no change. As far as wear I play a lot of golf ( atleast 45 holes during the week and 72-90 on the weekends ). The Ultralights are lasting me right at 5-6 months, this is the same amount of time I was changing out my NDMC's.

For those of you reading this thread that haven't tried these, do so. This was the best equipment change I've ever made.

• Like 1

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

"ExtraStiff - They are able to be worn out more effectively than other grips I found, as you sort of impress into the material over time, therefore the loss of tackiness is kind of offset by increased contours."

I haven't noticed any contour impressions or wear on my Ultralites so far. Maybe because at address, I'm reminded that I don't have to hold on to the club so tightly. For some reason, these grips encourage a light, relaxed grip pressure. I've never worn out grips too fast, but these seem like they will last quite a long time.

Yea obviously different people will have different pressure.i grip really hard and swing away, that’s the way I like to play. a little something I stole from Bryson

im with sep1006, 5 months of frequent use and I’m thinking about a new set

With the Covid issue Jumbomax has run short of grips a few times. I have already ordered and received 2 back-up sets of the Ultralight XL's.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

Thought I’d drop back in been playing the Jumbomax XL Ultralite for over a year now. Be it the grip or Father Time I find myself using one more club then I used to on approach shots of the same distance. I’m hitting the ball so much more on target that I don’t even care if I’m hitting an 8i instead of a 9i or actually a PW because I’m a little shorter of the tee also. What matters is I’m consistently playing in the mid to low eighties instead of mid to high nineties. I’m consistently hitting greens in regulation instead of occasionally. Actually relaxed and enjoy the day out there instead of sweating bullets and wondering where the next shot is going. These have solved my grip issues I battled with for years.

I've read a few threads where guys who swapped to Jumbomax lost a few yards. For me it was just the opposite, I picked up about 5 - 8 yards throughout the bag.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

Well not sure when this video was made but I'm pretty sure DeChambeau does play the Ultralights and not the Tour Series as they stated. I've also said this several times on this forum. Changing to these grips about a year ago was the best golf equipment move I've ever made.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

They did say that in the video. They looked it up as they were filming.

If someone wears a Cadet Small glove, i see they recommend a standard oversize (+ 1/16) or X-small (+ 1/8).

Does that plus 1/16 or plus 1/8 correspond to “normal” grip sizes? Or does that correspond to Jumbomax standard golf grip sizes?

It looks the X-small size in the Ultra-light would be too light, and their X-small size in the Jumbomax line would be too heavy...

I would stay away from anything other than their ultralight line. Just my opinion

I also wouldn’t worry too much about their sizing guide, at that width it’s really about what works for you.Getting one of each and trying them out is really the best way

I also don’t think there’s much of a weight difference between the smallest ultralight and the biggest ultralight. Let me know if that’s not true, but it definitely doesn’t feel that way when installing or swinging. Plus I don’t think they Are moderating the tolerances as tight as you would on certain other things, at that weight it’s negligible the difference. So yeah the tour truck may be sorting Brysons grips to be within a gram of one another, but I doubt anyone else’s is

• Like 1

So some additional information about JumboMax grip weights....

The Ultralites have the following weights: X-Small (= +1/8" over standard grip size) = 36 grams, Small (1/4" over standard) = 40 grams, Medium (5/16" over standard) = 45 grams, Large (11/32" over standard) = 48 grams and X-Large (+3/8" over standard) = 50 grams. That's right, most of these grips whilst significantly bigger than standard sizes are also significantly lighter!

JumboMax are supposedly introducing a removable weight system that will be able to be inserted into the butt of the grip without removing the grip so you can fine tune feel and swingweight eg if you play 50 gram standard grips and you want to give say the Ultralite small size a try but for whatever reason want to keep your swingweight the same, you will be able to insert a weight to bring the grip (in reality via the club butt) weight back up to 50 grams. I saw this on a video of early this year that said this system will be available sometime this year, I think I recall even around the middle of this year but covid might have delayed that.

So we can all fiddle and experiment with these even more to our heart's content and it should give club fitters lots of ability to fine tune equipment to allow golfers to try these grips.

It will be interesting to see if/when OEM's make these grips as an option on their standard club models, the interest generated by Bryson in them is just phenomenal, that TXG video has already 275+ comments in just over a day...personally I've just installed 4 medium Ultralites to test but where I am (Melbourne, Australia) is back in covid lockdown for a few weeks so won't be able to hit them for awhile.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

The plus 1/16, plus 1/8 is in relation to 'normal' grip sizes, not JumboMax standard grip sizes:

jumbo-max-grips-size-comparison-2019.jpg

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I've tinkered with 'traditional' oversize/jumbos on the driver and have liked the results. I've been wanting to try out the JMX ultralite medium, but man... I really picked a bad time to make the jump with Bryson-mania and now the drop of that TXG video Large is in stock, but I really think Medium is going to be the limit so I've been waiting on that size

Where you say "but kind of lose the feel of what the club face is doing". I was just the opposite, since going to the XL I feel like I have more control / feel of the club face and what it is doing.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

Interesting, may have to give it some more swings with the MD, I wear a medium golf glove, so don't have the biggest hands.

Will have to hit some more balls with them before writing them off.

Has anyone tried them on their wedges? was wondering how the whole chipping and pitching and finesse type shots were with the larger grips.

I've spent the last two weeks comparing the Tour Series and the UltraLites.

I put the Tour Series on my Driver initially, then, a week later, the UltraLites on my fairway wood, hybrid, #7 iron and 58* wedge.

I loved the Tour Series on my driver - I gained yardage and accuracy. Maybe it was the heavier weight of the grip causing a counter-balancing effect, but I liked the feel and the results.

The UltraLites didn't have the same results. I would say they were just OK. I miss the counter-balancing benefits for my swing, which definitely keeps my transition quieter and more in sequence.

The Bottom Line for me is that I just ordered enough Tour Series grips to cover the remaining clubs in my bag. After another round of testing, I'll make the final decision on which way to go.

The Double Bottom Line is that regular grips feel horrible to me now - I was using non-tapered Lamkin or GP Plus4's, but even they feel puny.

• Like 1

I've spent the last two weeks comparing the Tour Series and the UltraLites.

I put the Tour Series on my Driver initially, then, a week later, the UltraLites on my fairway wood, hybrid, #7 iron and 58* wedge.

I loved the Tour Series on my driver - I gained yardage and accuracy. Maybe it was the heavier weight of the grip causing a counter-balancing effect, but I liked the feel and the results.

The UltraLites didn't have the same results. I would say they were just OK. I miss the counter-balancing benefits for my swing, which definitely keeps my transition quieter and more in sequence.

The Bottom Line for me is that I just ordered enough Tour Series grips to cover the remaining clubs in my bag. After another round of testing, I'll make the final decision on which way to go.

The Double Bottom Line is that regular grips feel horrible to me now - I was using non-tapered Lamkin or GP Plus4's, but even they feel puny.