Where does a golfer leave the "Weekend Warrior" tag behind?

Guest RoyalMustang

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the sport and would love some input. Every sport has different levels of athletes: people who aren't very good and don't care; people who want to actively improve, people who do their sport on weekends and for social reasons, and people who want to become or are elite.

For golfing, what ability level or experience level is generally seen as moving beyond a "weekend warrior" label and toward "elite"? Obviously there are different levels of elite. Is it the player with a certain handicap? The player who plays maybe 40 rounds a year but also is actively practicing 3-5 hours a week? Tournament results?

The reason I ask: I used to race a bike at an elite level and it was pretty definitive. Cat 2 was the beginning of "elite"; you had to show good talent to hit that level and even if you were the most gifted person on the planet aerobically, less than 12 hours a week on the bike wasn't going to get you the results you wanted. It was also the point where you started getting free gear and good team sponsorship funding. Cat 2 would be like a low collegiate-level golfer I suppose and 75-80% of the ability of the top pros in the world. I raced elite Cat 1 (pro racing but no need for a pro license and less tied down) which would be like high D1 collegiate golf or low-level full time golf tour (85-90% of European-based pros, as judged by power meter). Pros racing on top teams in Europe are PGA tour-level

Golf is different as a lot of people play just for fun and don't care if they shoot 75, 85, 95, 105, but in bike racing, nobody is going to show up, even for a Cat 5 race, if they aren't the equivalent of someone who can shoot 88 consistently. It is no fun being off the back on your own all day; those types will enter gran fondos and other less competitive events. Probably 12% of all people who race on the road are of the "elite" category but it is a upwardly-adjusted sample size.

So, from a golf perspective, what is your cutoff for "elite" or "sub-elite"? High school medalist? Good enough to play in college? Handicap level? Or does anyone even care (I suppose they do, otherwise a handicap wouldn't exist and neither would the gear industry!).

I've had guys say that to me after a round and I shot a blistering 78. Golf is the ultimate hand & eye specific endeavor and even elite pros from other sports struggle with it. In my estimation, one leaves the weekend warrior status when they totally commit to the game 24/7 and even then, they may not rise to the elite level, which is calibrated at the 1% level of all players.

Yeah, top 1% is not easy to achieve in ANY endeavor and I like that as a benchmark. You won't get there unless you have drive, smarts, and natural ability.

A pretty interesting question.

I, too, raced bikes way back when. I dipped a toe into Cat 2, but was spit out of those ranks pretty quickly as, like you say, I wasn't able/willing to put in the requisite time. I actually exited the competitive side of the sport altogether after dropping out of Cat 2.

But honestly, even though I've been playing golf now for the better part of 25 years, with some stints on the competitive side, I don't know how to answer your question in a way that is a solid analog to bike racing. Culturally and socially, the sports are very different. Like you say, even a Cat4/5 racer is pretty serious by most athletic standards. And that's the entry point for bike racing. Golf's competitive entry point is, in my opinion, far lower.

Your comparisons at the top-end seem very reasonable (the European grand Tour peloton being the equivalent of the PGA Tour.)

I'm a mid single digit capper, but I wouldn't consider myself even knocking on the door of elite - that door is a few neighborhoods over. I'm good enough to beat up on most of my buddies, but that's about it. I don't think I've reached the level of accomplishment and (and time spent practicing/training) as when I was working my way up the Cat 4 and Cat 3 ranks. But this is just one person's opinion. Other folks might have a different perspective.

But, if forced to answer your question - I'd say a travelling scratch player who regularly plays in non-handicapped competitive events is where I'd say it starts. Or maybe the junior player who isn't quite there, but is clearly on the path to blow past that level.

Ha! Isn't that the truth. The top guys racing 40-49 masters are often putting in 20 hours a week and still rocking 4% body fat, with a few pros scattered in! Kids are partially grown up and careers are established...or in a sometimes more negative light, 20 hours a week of training has contributed to a newly recent bachelor situation and plenty of free time. Even as a top-of-my-game Cat 1, there were guys in their mid 50's who could hang. I would have liked to have seen a pee test sample though...it didn't seem natural for that age.

I was USAC road race 35-39 national champion a few years back but, honestly, that division isn't as competitive. Guys are still flying but there are fewer of them.

Meaning I know not a single person who is an elite golfer! I can't even begin to fathom the innate ability required to compete at that level, where your mid-hit is still puttable from 30 feet and 90% probability of par.

The USGA handicap index is a good reference. Men's  Handicap Index® StatisticsNote that this is for people who actually hold handicaps. I couldn't find a good reference for how many people actually maintain a handicap.

From the table you basically need to be a 5 index or better to be in the top 10%.

EDIT: Found some data that suggests only about 50% of golfers in the US keep a handicap.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Good info, thanks! So around 2.5% of the playing population is under a 5 handicap and just over 1% is a 1 or better. That appears to be a fairly long-tail distribution, as would make sense. There is a natural limit to a low handicap but no real limit to a high one. On the other hand, if those people shooting 105 every weekend reported their scores, the distribution would have an even longer tail!

I think basically you are correct on the stat of less than 50% of golfers keep a handicap. The ones I know that do it now are mostly league players that are retired and may play several different leagues. At my old course they dropped the handicap thing and took the computer out because there was no interest. The men's and Ladies leagues there did not require any handicap. At my current club I think one of the Members Leagues requires a handicap but I do not know for certain. I know on our Saturday Dogfight teams they do not require one bring your team and play on.

I myself do not keep a stipulated legal handicap. I have a bud who is physically challenged but is a computer and math whiz does several of ours. He has the software to do it. I have a handicap in fact I keep 2 of them for my own use. One is strictly vintage with persimmon woods , wound balls and older blade irons. My regular handicap if you really go by the rules is not legit either because I play older non conforming irons and wedges. Basically in this stage of life I do not play comps any more or big money matches. I mostly play my vintage stuff and play little very small money matches.

But to answer the OP's question and this is just IMHO and not meant to inflame or cut anyone down. I think one who is not an elite amateur as playing in state matches etc, or a college player or an aspiring pro is basically a weekend warrior. Nothing at all wrong with that. I was up there at one time playing Mini Tours and tried several times to do a US Open Qualifying. Never made the big show. Like I said at this point of life I just enjoy doing my own thing

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

When you seriously take lessons and start to practice the things the pro/coach is teaching you. And you stick with it, keep a handicap strive to improve your game. That to me shows you serious about the game.

There's a huge gap between weekend warrior and elite golfer. Hell, there's a huge gap between a upper single digit and a low single digit handicap. And a bigger gap between a scratch and a tour pro.

Like Ferguson said, "When you finish a round of 18 holes and one or more of the guys you played with shakes your hand and says "you make it look easy."

That is the sign of movement."

I've had it happen a few times, and I'm only an 8 index. I think the first time I shot +2 in tough conditions. I didn't feel like I worked very hard during the round and was enjoying the company of a older couple who were decent players as well.

I know I'll never be a scratch golfer, but my goal is to get to a 5 or so if I can just avoid injury.

Seidinho said "I think if you generally shoot in the 70s or low 80s, no matter the day or course, you're pretty darn good."

I think that's a good barometer for most of us with jobs and families.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Former college player and gave it a run on the mini, mini tours with obviously no luck. Low as a +3.2 in college and right after. Last three years for me have been +1.8 to 4.5 (wrist surgery) So I have played with many in groups 1 - 3, not sure I could even put an actual number on it. Played with a decent amount of the 4-5 realm, roughly 15-20. Played with 6/7 in the 6, and 1 or 2 in the 7.

I view the uppers like this in the US currently, having either played with or in many of these rankings. For awhile Tiger was in his own level above top PGA guys during his prime

Scratch club players (players at your club with a vanity + to a one handicap) They play 4-5 holes like a world beater, but have too many doubles each round and don't turn in their bad scores.Scratch club guys (players at your club with a legitimate + to a one handicap if they do not play in state wide events) Most of them blow up in those events, unless they have previously been a higher ranking.Scratch state amateur guys (Div 2 and lower as well)Scratch nationwide amateur guys (Div 1 college guys) and mini, mini tour guysMini tour guys and bottom end Nike/KF guysTop end Nike/KF guys and bottom end PGA Tour guysMiddle PGA guysTop PGA Guys (Ryder/President Cup folks, Say top 15 players on PGA or Europe PGA)So do you lose weekend warrior status at 1 in your opinion, or is it higher or even lower than that?

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Golf is such an individual sport that it falls on the person to take on the role of a golfer at different levels. You can gauge who has taken up the appearance of being a beginner, average, good, great, and elite.

beginners will have the bag of mishmash clubs or hand me downs with a bag that is not too bright with maybe a driver only and the rest made up of miscellaneous clubs. Attire would be your everyday clothes that they wear going to the supermarket, running errands, that sorta thing. Usually show up at the driving range with a bunch of friends just taking up the game as well. Most of the time they skip out on the short game area. When you get to an average golfer status, the setup might be the same as a beginner but with an added 3 wood and probably at this point, a newer putter from say your Dicks sporting goods or some authorized golf retailer. They will probably still be wearing regular clothes but probably have on a polo shirt of some brand. They spend most of their time at the range and usually visit the putting green to roll some putts before they leave. When you get to good golfer status, they will invest in a set of golf clubs with much more notable name brands and not knock offs or mismatched. Their golf bag will be organized a little better with a golf towel hanging off the bag. Probably wearing golf shoes at this point even at the driving range. Polo and some sort of golf pants will be worn more often but not guaranteed. This status golfer will spend time at the range but can also be seen chipping and putting. More organized with their range time. When you get to great golfer status, I think this is when you shed the weekend warrior title and it becomes more of a sorta lifestyle or description of who you are. This golfer starts to wear golf attire everywhere they go even though they don't have a tee time anywhere. Golf clubs are upgraded with matching shafts, upgraded head covers, alignment sticks that hold their golf towels. You see them scoping out the yardages even at the driving range. Start to hang out at the driving range a lot more with the same circle of golfing buddies. Usually by this point, they work on specific shots, then move over to the short game area and spend more of their time there. They tend to want space between them and others at the range. Now you get to Elite status golfers. Elite golfers are harder to pick out. They will have all the appearance of a great golfer. They usually have an appointment at the range with a swing coach or short game coach. They tend to be by themselves at the end of the range as not to be bothered by other players. They probably have some sort of track man set up or alignment sticks down on the ground. Usually after every swing they are analyzing their swing with their swing coach. Most of the time their practice sessions are very organized depending on what they are working on. Most times they will be on the short game area as much if not more than the range itself.

There are times when great golfers can be as undercover as anybody. Golf is such a skills game and some players are just born with it. Best thing about golf is as your game gets better, the more you invest in either your equipment, your practice time at the range on a more regular basis, or the combination of the two. Take the game to whatever level you want and it is one of those activities where you get what you put into it. Many expect to just come out and beat a little ball into the air expecting perfection. Thats when the reality of how great this game is and how challenging and fun it can be. Just be realistic with expectations because at the end of the day, it is you against the golf course anyways.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I might have had to say it differently but really I was not reflecting on score exactly. Oh yeah some weekend warriors can break 80 no problem especially if they play the same course week end week out. Really I related it to several factors including how much they do or don't practice or play or don't play. I can remember back in the day when my Dad ran a course the weekend guys would play 36 on Saturday and 36 on Sunday. Some of them were decent sticks. And I will say this most weekend warriors do not keep up with golf like we do on WRX and other sites either. And different people get different enjoyment out of the game. I know some guys that shoot in the 90s or more that do not give 2 hoots because they are out with their buds drinking beer. Fun how ever one does it is what it is all about

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

This is an interesting conversation. There are huge variables between elite and sub-elite and what I would consider a weekend warrior. First you have to define what it means to be elite. That can be subjective... is it the top 5%, top 1%, or is it the top .1% of players? I think my version of a category system would be like this:

Tour Elite - Top .1% of players. You are here if you are on a tour, competing at a big D1 school for national championships, or are competing for am championships outside of the ncaa.

Elite - For example, a good friends BIL that I play with a bit could be considered elite. He played in college, was a course pro, and didn't quite make it through q school. When he hits the ball it just sounds different. It flies different too. He can do things on the course that I couldn't dream of. I've seen him not touch a club for 6 months, come join us with rented clubs, no warm up, and still shoot par or damn close. But a guy like him vs a actual pro player is a pretty big gap. It's not that he isn't elite, he is, but there is a clear tier above him.

Sub-elite - I'll use me as an example here. I played in high school to minor success and for the club team in college. At my best I was at a 3 which has now ballooned to closer to the 8 range as I have only played maybe a dozen times over the past 2 years and maybe 3-5 range sessions but I can still break 80. I have never been randomly paired with a player that shot better than me even when I was playing a lot. I have seen statistics that suggest 2% of all golfers break 80. We know only about 5% of all golfers to carry a handicap are 3 or lower. Does this make me elite? I don't think so, statistically if you are in the 95th - 98th percentile in anything then you are probably elite. However, there is a clear cut difference between my best and the elite player. I am also very into clubs and equipment, even going as far as building my own iron set and tinkering with shafts to the point where I definitely know more about club fitting than the majority of golf store employees. If you fall into the sub-elite category you almost definitely keep a handicap and it is in the single digits. You're interest in the game fluctuates with work, school, and family but playing golf is like riding a bike and you never really forget.

Golfers - The problem with your groups is that there is a huge gap from weekend warrior to sub-elite golfer. So there needs to be a category that you can graduate from weekend warrior but still have some room to grow into a sub-elite player. It's a person who takes golf seriously. You probably have a handicap, and if you don't you probably have a good idea of what it would be if you did. Skill is variable but is probably somewhere in the high singles to 20 range. You may be interested in equipment or follow forums just like this one. Golf is for sure a part of your life and it definitely consumes a portion of your brain during the day. You may be aspiring to be a sub-elite or you may have been one in the past and age and skill and life have taken far too much of your time. You go to the range to work on your game, and maybe even got lessons from your wife as a Christmas gift.

Weekend Warrior to me is just that. Golf is something you do on the weekends to get away. You are more serious than the duffer that goes out once or twice a year and has no idea what brand clubs they own and honestly doesn't want to care. You bought your set off the rack without a fitting, but you at least know what clubs you play and maybe what shaft flex you are. You most likely don't have a handicap and if you did it wouldn't be anything to write home about. I would say hovering in the 15-30 range. You don't know where the closest driving range is. You can keep up with anyone without holding up play. You'd probably rather have another beer than another par.

The Duffer - we all know who this is... I won't waste my time.

Yeah, good point!

Moving through the ranks of elite is far more difficult than getting out of the "weekend warrior" bucket. My personal goal to move out of weekend warrior is to spend an average of 1hour/day working on short game and range; hopefully I will build the skills to score and be consistent.