2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Back when I started on my blades journey I tried the 695s, Mizzy mp67s, and some TaylorMade blades. I ended up getting the mp67s but I could have easily chosen the 695s. Ultimately it was a decision between the Mizuno "buttery" feel vs Titleist "clicky". Like chosing apple vs cherry pie. It's good to see the love for the 695. All other things equal they are just as fine as any other blade out there.

LOL hoping this thread gets to page 1,957 so I can post a shout out for my BBs. ?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

LMFAO I've never bagged a hybrid but have always viewed their design as an enigma unto itself. A wood that wants to be an iron. Or is it the other way? ?
The biggest problem I've had with them is the offset. By design (per the physics) an offset club is always going to have the potential to hook because offset puts the COG further from the shaft line. What this does is cause the face to dynamically close down, relatively speaking, under the centripetal force of the swing itself. Then coming into impact that closed face causes a hook. I see it all the time with most hybrid players. I'd definitely get one with the least amount of offset for sure, but only if I were forced to play one.
Beyond that, I don't see any value added by taking one over a wood (but still a long blade iron is da best) anyway. They become yet another type of club to swing and I much prefer bag simplicity with similar types of clubs from one to the other. Rather than having a lone anomaly or enigma if you will. And I think they're FUGLY. ?@No_Catchy_Nickname Amen to your amen. And hallelujah! When I need the high ball flight I use a 7w too. I can hit towering 185 yd shots with my TaylorMade R5 Dual 7w that go high and simply drop and stop. I call it my 'long wedge'. I'll take it over a hybrid any day. I still prefer my BB 3i, though. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

I’m a cheapskate...I’ll admit but let me explain...

When I bought my MP4s they must have been one of the last brand new retail sets available in the UK. Reduced from £699 to £399, I just caught the reduction as it was added to the website on a Saturday night. When I got to my local store the next morning, they were still marked up at £699 but obviously they had to sell them to me for £399...bargain and no brainer purchase for me. Only problem was that they were 4-PW and 3-iron has always been one of my favourite clubs as I learned to play with one. I could custom order a matching 3-iron but it would cost me £130 and there was no way I was paying the third of a cost of a full set for one club, so I needed to find a club to fill the 3-iron slot. I found the Wilson Staff M3 FG Tour 3-hybrid (21* adjusted to 20*) that is still in my bag for £50 on close-out at some website...seemed like value-for-money to me and I’m a sucker for a bargain ?.

This is the ‘bladiest’ hybrid I have seen...very small head, relatively short blade length, negligible offset...just suits my eye.

My home course starts with a short par 4 that requires an accurate long iron off the tee. My stock shot was a slight fade with 3-iron to the right side of the fairway leaving an 8 or 9-iron into the green. Excited by my new acquisition and feeling confident on the tee, my first shot with my new hybrid was 30 yards left of the course boundary and OB!!

I didn’t get it out of the bag again until I could get it to the range to work it out. It does have a tendency to go left, even now, but I have learned how to control it. In fact, there are a couple of tee shots on my course that demand a draw and it comes into its own (unless I overdraw it into the trees!).

I swap it out occasionally for my 18* 5-wood which never goes left and carries about 5 yards further. But, the 3-hybrid is in the bag 95% of the time because it is more versatile...I can play most shots with it, even the odd chip and run. Low punches to keep it under the wind (or more usually coming out of the trees!) or high-flighted shots into greens are not an issue.

However...its default position is that it wants to go left and that is something that I consciously have to control even as a natural fader.

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

They aren't all offset, you have to pick your spots.

I've been using the Stage 2 Tour, which is like a mini-wood. Main reason I use it is a lower launch compared to a fwy wood at that loft. I don't find it hooky at all. One aspect I especially like with it is the ability to go with a shorter club length along with a heavier shaft, as opposed to wood options at that loft. 105g shaft currently, and I've used DGS steel at times.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Yeah I know there's ones without offset. The one hybrid I did think about getting was the Titleist 585H. At the time it was the only hybrid I could find without offset.
Totally understood on your logic of bagging one. ?@mahonie your earlier post on needing a different swing to manage the hook potential is one of the reasons why I won't bag one. I have enough issues with my own swing that I don't need yet another variable. There's not enough room in my golf brain for storing the "hybrid swing" in it. If I learn to hit a hybrid I'll forget how to hit a 460cc driver. ?

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

I think with the Hybrids it is very important to find one that fits your swing, rather than trying to change your swing to accommodate a hybrid. I didn't go near one for years, preferring a long iron or fairway wood, but my friend lent me his Titleist H2 to try out and I was converted. The H2 is Titleist's more iron based hybrid, and works best if you replicate your long iron swing with it. I've had my own 818 H2 for a couple of years now, and in tandem with the World's Greatest Shaft (the Rogue MAX), it only goes left if I force it. If anything, I have more issues with stopping it going right :)

P.S Howdy Strangers :)

• Like 2

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Heya blade usin' brother. ✌️. You're no stranger to me.

I get what you're saying but I've always viewed clubs and swing as interrelated to the point that they define each other rather than one is a result of another. Sure you can optimize a set of clubs for a certain swing, but you can also slightly tweak your swing to hit a certain club. Plus, if you think about it, as long as one thing changes in a club, be it loft, length, flex or head design, the physics of swinging it must also change, even if it is only ever so slightly. So it's more like a symbiotic relationship between swing and clubs rather than a master/servant one.

So to me and just applying all this to a hybrid and relative to irons, there's still a bigger difference in the swing I put on it relative to the different swing I put on the equivalent long blade iron, even if said hybrid were designed as closely as possible to an iron. And ultimately I still seek to reduce as many variables as possible.

And furthermore since I'm completely convinced that the science of a blade design is the best because it has the least amount of issues compared to all the rest, I'm still pursuing the goal of having as many blades in the bag as possible. LMAO even when I know it really doesn't matter because my swing errors override the benefit(s) brought about by a superior club design. In the end, the scientist in me is pursuing every possible edge that I can get. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

Totally agree that the differences in lengths etc between clubs will naturally result in slightly different swings and it's all individual how we manage that. This is why I like the 818 H2 - as it fits nicely between my 3 Wood and Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron, so the swing I put on it ends up somewhere in the middle. I'd obviously prefer a bladed 2 iron, but the hybrid is that long I struggle to find one that can keep up with it - my Hybrid is good for 240+, most I can get out of a 2 iron is around 210 unless I go down the Vapor Fly Pro route there as well. The hybrid is about 20 yards past my 5 wood as well, with a much more usable trajectory - in fact it's a bit of a weapon. Consider me converted to the hybrid cause, as long as we say the H2 is the only hybrid that exists

The 4 iron has actually proved to be an interesting experiment. I decided to replace my 3 and 4 iron with it so I could carry an extra wedge, and that bit is working out well. It's an absolute cannon off the tee, but off the deck I think I prefer the MP-20 3 iron, as it's much easier to pick up off the turf and apply the required trajectory. The VF is a bit of a blunt instrument, it does what it does, and if you don't like it, tough really. I've got a couple of big comps coming up so will stick with it for now, I can see it getting replaced by a 3 iron after that though. The purist in my hates the VF Pro, but I'm letting the pragmatist run things at the moment. If he gets proved wrong the 3 iron will be back

The other interesting part is that it has been my first real experience of the X100. I've always been an S400 kind of guy, and you can definitely feel the X100 kick less on the way through - however the longer the club, the more I struggle with spin. I've already moved to X flex in the woods/hybrids, so it's been interesting to move that one club down. Don't think I'd go any further, as I've got the VR Pros dialled in perfectly, so far as my iron play is the best part of my game right now. Been interesting to tinker though - I'm getting similar trajectories and spin levels to the C-Taper I was trying, without the inflamed elbows and boardy feel on mishits.

• Like 1

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

That's some BIG pimping Jay-Z style. The contrast of those paintfill colors against the dark oxide finish is beautiful. And I like the final touch by coloring the "MB". You, sir, are a paintfill artiste... that's an artist with the "e". ? ???

Registered Bladeocrat

@GunGun's beautiful clubs reminded me of something I wanted to ask: do any of you blade owners get the occasional ogle, double take, or outright compliment from randoms that see them in the wild? How often if so? I've had all of the above happen with my BBs but then it's never happened with my mp67s. With my BBs it's every so often. About two months ago I was playing with WRXer @jpdx and while we were on the putting green a group that passed my bag just stared it down as they walked by it. And then they started talking about it and even as they walked away they kept looking back at it. I heard a "wow" from their convo and they pointed at my clubs. When I was at Brandon Trails a few years ago the starter there saw my bag and said he'd never seen blades while he was working. Personally I see a set of blades in the wild about 5%-10% of the time.

Registered Bladeocrat

Definitely get double takes and ogles - admittedly not as many as when I had my OG Blades, but still enough - but no outright compliments from strangers, mostly as that really isn't the done thing in the UK. Always get compliments from groups I'm with or of I'm at one of the clubs I'm a member of though. I'm more than happy to share the wealth and let people have a go - it's amazing how many people pull the 4 iron, convince themselves they aren't good enough to hit it, then promptly stripe it straight down the middle

LMFAO that happens with me too! Before @WishIPlayedMore bought my Retro TBs I would bring the 6i to our rounds just so I could give my boys a taste of the Miura goodness. He'd hit that thing beautifully nearly every time. And still think he didn't have the game. ?. I've had random "hacks" that probably couldn't break bogey try any one of my blades on whatever par 3 we were on and every time I see them hit a great shot with it. Cracks me up because they still think they can't game them even with real world proof. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

I love the more simple / less busy stampings with all the latest Miuras. After ogling them I have to take a shower before I go back to my BBs. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

Those Mizuno Pros always make me hot and bothered. Make me wanna have a "swinger's" party with you if you know what I'm saying. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

This was great info! I love doing this sort of thing myself. A set of Muirfields is on my list of must haves. I wanted a 2 iron to play with my MP14's but I bought an MP29 2 iron rather than 14 because I wanted to maximize the distance I could get out of it. It has 18* loft rather than 20*. It's also a better fit with my MP37 and 33's.

Funny you say that . When I bought my Staff's I only bought the 6-PW because I've hit Anser hybrids for the last few years. The Ansers were the best hybrids I've ever hit until I bought a H2 Titleist. Anyway, my Staff 6 iron has become my favorite iron to hit. So much so I'm going to order a 4 and 5 iron as soon as I get the golf kitty built back up.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Because of their superior design I'm always in the camp of more blades in the bag are better. The only exception is when the longest one flights the ball too low for your taste and play style. Then stop and get something else with higher launch at the same distance. And there's no hard and fast rule to it. I'd say almost all golfers of any skill level would be fine up to a 4i blade but also many would be fine to 3i.

So good on you adding more blades to the bag! ??. Also even if your longest blade isn't ready for the bag, keep practicing with it! Hitting it makes the next shorter iron seem easier. I swear my confidence in my 3i soared after I got my 2i.

Registered Bladeocrat

A new experiment has arisen....

Was sitting around a few mornings ago, with too much time on my hands while the wife slept in. Been playing my NV shafted Ram set, and thinking about finally reshafting another Ram set with the RIP Tour 115s I've had for a while. Got to thinking about wedges. Generally like heavier wedges, thought it might be worth the effort to give it a try in full Experiment Mode.

Bought a Steelfiber 125 wedge shaft, last night pulled the SPB from my Scratch 53, put the Steelfiber in it. It's ready to go for Friday golf.

Side note, it came in at roughly the same swingweight as it had with the SPB.

It should fit in with both Ram sets (the TG898s are the candidate for the RIPs), they both have a 49* PW.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

And as one experiment begins another draws to a close - I've had a few rounds recently where I've had the "easy to use" Vapor Fly 4 iron in the bag, and the more I use it the less comfortable I'm getting with it. Not sure if it's the x100, or the offset, but it's currently the least accurate of my irons, and off the deck, no longer than my VR Pro 4 iron. I either get a snap hook or a weak push, neither of which I suffer from from any other club (except the Driver occasionally).

So I'm going to pull it and go back to a blade, the question is, which one? I have the choice of:

Nike VR Pro 4 iron w/ S400 - matches the rest of the set, easy to hit and accurate, but leaves a bit of a gap to my Hybrid.

Mizuno MP20 3 iron w/ S400 - slightly longer than the 4 iron so better for gapping, but is triggering my OCD to see a set of irons go 3,5,6,7 etc.

Average distances from Shot Scope are - Hybrid 239 yards, 3 iron 214, 4 iron 205, 5 iron 190.

Must admit I'm leaning towards the MP20, as it is easier to choke down and hit that 200, rather than crank up a 4 iron and hit the wrong fairway? Interested to see what m'learned blade enthusiasts would do.

LOL idle minds are the devil's playpen. (@NRJyzr that was for you too. ?)
Call me an OCD engineer but I say go with the VR Pro and stay consistent with your iron type.
And since you are tinkering, you *might* think about going slightly lighter but also stiffer shaft with it, say X100 or even S300 instead of your S400. If you go with a lighter total weight shaft, without sacrificing too much on the stiffness, you'll swing it faster than the heavier shaft. In theory you'll hit the ball slightly farther. But the key is to lighten the shaft without sacrificing on the flex.

Registered Bladeocrat

I’ve had an issue using lighter shafts in that I totally lost feel and a significant amount of distance. Tried the S300 XP in a Mizuno T4 52* wedge and it was a disaster. Lost about 30 yards in distance and for some reason I topped a lot of shots. That wedge is now confined to the office for short range chipping practice.

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Totally agreed! What *can* happen is that the lighter shaft flexes too much coming into impact and, in short, distance is lost. It's important that a shaft returns to a relatively straight position coming into impact. When it is not straight and bent too much, its relative velocity is lower than ideal. The golfer is effectively overpowering it. The clubhead never really "catches up" to the rest of the swing. It's ultimately safer to have as stiff a shaft as possible to avoid the issue of it bending too much, but...in doing this the shaft weight increases....and then the trade-off is that it's a heavier shaft (assuming that the shaft shape didn't change the stiffness) which takes more energy or work to swing.

When I built my strong 3w driver I made the mistake of going with a lighter shaft than my regular 3w, but...I kept the flex at regular which was my mistake. It was horrible. I could not hit it with distance at all and control was terrible. I replaced it with X flex which made it slightly heavier, but also it stayed relatively straight during my swing. And ultimately I got distance back that was on par with my 460cc drivers.

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

The first iron spot is another tough one. I wouldn't think anything of going 3-5,6,7..... I draw the line at 3,4,5,6,7,7,8 etc. Can't do it. Won't do it.

You could bend the 3 iron weak a degree or two - in theory it would make it easier to hit. It would also reduce the offset a touch (which is never a bad thing). Conversely, you could bend the 4-iron strong.

You could also try to salvage what you have with the Nike 4i. Try making 5-10 swings with you 7 or 8i and then grab that 4 iron and make (as much as possible) the same swing with the Nike. Maybe, you are just making a different swing with it (subconsciously). I run in to the same problems with my TMB - I can stripe it all day. Then the next day I have it going both ways. It's a problem with my swing, not the club. Usually after doing this drill I will be back to the striping.

Flex and weight are largely independent, such as they're applied to the shaft marketplace, that is. Consistency, or lack thereof, due to shaft weight is one of those lovely fitting parameters that's different for each person. Go too light and there goes the consistency.