2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Your golf fantasy....a genie gives you one wish, which these would you take?

LYG

Definitely the $250k. Hitting all drives 280 or one-putting sounds good at first, but working on the craft and trying to improve driving and putting is part of the fun! I'd gladly invest some of the money towards improving my game.

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

You don’t need to be tour level ball striker at all. Just need to be the ball striker of a 8-10 Handicap.

With the 1 putt you’re basically starting the round 18 under, every round. As long as you don't lose 18 shots elsewhere around the course you’re under par. Doesn’t take tour level ball striking to just get on a green in regulation, especially since proximity to the hole now just became irrelevant.

If you were tour level ball striker, hitting 14-16 GIR and most par 5s in 2, hitting the green on many drive-able par 4s, you’re shooting mid-low 50s. Stats show many scratch, or near scratch golfers actually hit more GIR than tour players due to tour players ability to scramble and putt so they take more risks and miss more greens. Their ability to get up and down and putt is where they beat most amateurs by miles.

All you need to do is get on the green with this wish. Doesn’t have to be close to the hole. So approach shots just became a lot easier, same with bunkers literally just need to get on the green. Don’t play to any hole at all. And you’re in the hole with 1 putt.

Even for a mid-handicap, lets say they hit 5-6 GIR per round, thats automatically 5-6 birdies, maybe eagles. Even on the long tour length courses just need to capitalize on the shorter average length holes make those a GIR, and the rest only drop one shot, and those are all pars. A 450 yard par 4 now becomes 7-iron off the tee, 7-iron up the fairway, 7 iron on to the green, 1 putt par. That could be done by many levels of ball striking, and with not much work you could hone that in and easily be under par. I cant remember tour average scoring but its not crazy low, I think the hot players are averaging 68-69, only 3-4 under, not like they average 62s, they have hot rounds where they go really low, but if you could average 67-68, you're number 1 in the world very quickly. Easily could be accomplished with out tour level approach and tee game.

exactly, you just went from scoring average of 76.2 to 62.2, lower than ANY pga tour player EVER. And I mean no disrespect, but I imagine you’re aren’t a tour level ball striker, I have a similar HC, and I know I’m no where near a tour level ball striker but my scoring average would probably be 64-65. Considering Webb Simpsons is the best currently this year at just under 68, am average of 62-65 would be miles better, you’d win literally almost every tournament with average ball striking. Because you’re scoring average currently 76.2 is also taking into account that most of the shots you’re looking to get as close to the pin as possible, of course there is exceptions where going at the pin is a bad idea. But you certainly are playing more aggressive than if you just had to get on the green, with no thought of where the pin and still average 76.2.

edit: actually maybe it wouldn’t change by 14 strokes, would take a little more digging, because you’re average already takes into account I’m sure some 1 and 3 putts already. But regardless would still drop by at least 10-12 strokes, or maybe more than 14? But I’m not a data scientist. Lol.

regardless, scoring improves by A lot. ?

im intrigued to play a round just to play this way and see what I could score. Lol

Even without the tour wins, I could clean up money every weekend. Not 250K, but I know folks who’ve spent at least 250K to get mediocre like me. They’d likely spend at least 4 times that to birdie half the holes and eagle 4. Or more?

Priceless skill.

I would be willing to accept a modification of the one-putt wish. Make every putt struck properly (speed and line). So no misses for the rest of my life due to imperfections in the green. While not near as magnanimous as one putts for life, it would bring putting much closer to all other types of shots as far as how conditions adversely impact outcome.

You are not playing on tour courses, at tour distances, under tour pressure, in front of thousands of fans, with tour rough over 4 straight days. 56 Tour players last year, one putted 40% of their greens. Justin Rose One-putted 44% of his greens last year. Mark Broadie addressed strokes gans with elite ball striking of the pros in his book.

The average fairways hit on tour is 49%. The average GIR is under 12.

Correct, I fully understand strokes gained, and like I mentioned, with the automatic one putt the need to for close proximity to the hole is out the window, as is chipping, bunker shots, and many other strokes gained stats. Just need to chip on to the green anywhere, and out of a bunker anywhere on the green. Not close to the hole. If pros didn't want to be as close to the hole as possible on approach they would hit a lot more greens. Long holes you don't even need to hit a GIR, just be close enough to get the next shot on the green, automatic par. Essentially any long par 4 I have 3 shots to get to the green, a long par 3 I have 2 shots, and par 5 I have 4 shots to just get somewhere on the green, I would basically have an extra shot over the entire field to make par. If you can make a GIR, automatic birdy, or even eagle. I can guarantee any low(5-6 or below) handicap player could average 68-69 or BETTER with the one putt rule, and with that scoring average you're on tour. The biggest issue with the current pros and the 1 putt stat is proximity to the hole, either from scrambling, or approach. I'll bet the ones with the most 1 putts, are scrambling the most, or have best proximity to the hole. With this wish, scrambling and proximity no longer matter at all. Risky holes, you can basically lay up every time, knowing you'll par for sure, and the easier holes, pretty much automatic par or birdy.

As far as the nerves and being on tour ect, agree that would be an issue at first, but I imagine that would subside pretty quickly knowing you're basically going to automatically shoot par or better on a bad round. The confidence of 1 putting every green would be enough to make people completely forget about the rest.

I still stand with the one putt rule as it basically wipes at least 10-12 shots off every round I play currently which would put me in the mid-low 60s, and i don't play 7500 yard course regularly, but the course I play the most is 7-7100, so its not exactly short. But, again, I basically start the round 18 under, so just need to not mess it up.

I laid it out before in my earlier post, but I don’t see how you wouldn’t become insanely wealthy with the 1 putt.

It isn’t about winning on the big Tour, although I think many here could...

But you could:

Contend/win at the mini tour level - $

Play / win money games - $

Make as many side bets as you want on the greens - $

The biggest thing though is that in a very short amount of time you would get noticed. You’d become an overnight sensation and a freak of nature and that’s where the big money comes in. Appearance fees, big bets from guys like Phil and degenerate gamblers flying you to places to hit some impossible put for a million bucks, TV/social media presence...you would very quickly blow past $250k with this skill. I don’t even think it’s debatable...i mean think about how absurd that’d be. Seriously.

100%, it would be like Happy Gilmore’s Freak sideshow cousin showed up. ? id get the odyssey hockey stick putter also, and a massive sponsorship from jersey mikes (because I don’t like subway) ?

would absolutely eclipse $250k in a matter of months or maybe weeks.

just think how much you could charge Tour players for putting lessons ?

Yeah I mean think of that 100 footer Jack hit when Johnny said it was impossible...how many times that’s been shared. Now imagine being able to do THAT on command! It’s a no brainer - you’d literally go down in history as one of the most freakish/talented people EVER. In any endeavor.

$250k?!! Haha are you kidding me?? Anyone not saying the one putt needs to take the blinders off.

As mentioned I think the skill booster options would make the game less enjoyable in the long run, like cheat codes on video games. I’m probably going with the twice monthly Augusta option but it would be fun to get to caddie for Van de Welde in that Open collapse and slap some sense into him at some point in the 4th round and change the history of the game.

I chose the 1-putt...but I do see the point - that it could become boring.

But I could get used to it...image out on tour and you could putt like Ty Webb! Because you know it's going in...haha

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

I will take the money instead of my real wish:

Perfect tempo and timing.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

I appreciate your well reasoned argument. My point of course is that I think we are ignoring the ball striking abilities of tour pros and that most of the courses require length and pinpoint accuracy. But you do have math on your side. 18 1-putts is a MONSTER advantage that might simply make a scratch player competitve.

You need to address these one putts distance and proximity to the hole. Would guarantee as the percentage of one putts increase on pga tour, the distance of those putts declines, as well as scrambling, bunker saves, up and downs increases. Pga tour pros definitely have a higher percentage of 1 putts, but only because their ability to get up and down, as well as proximity to the hole on approach. The chances of an everyday joe making a 20-30-40-50 footer, isn’t that much less than a pga tour pro. At a certain point/distance, the make chances are relatively equal. It’s only really in the 20 foot and below range the tour pro really starts to shine, and since they have a lot more attempts at those 5-10-15 footers, they become much more important.

As the wish says nothing about length of putts thus making the majority of those other items basically irrelevant. Accuracy with approach is irrelevant as long as it’s on the green. Bunker saves basically goes to 100% as long as you can get it out of a bunker and on the green. Chipping is no longer a required skill again, just need to be on the green. Could essentially have 100% scrambling and 100% bunker saves if you do miss a green. Important stats for pga tour pros, but irrelevant for the “amazing golf ball putter guy”.

But yes the putting clinics and lessons would make you an almost instant millionaire. ?

Ya I get what you’re saying. And agree they’re incredible ball strikers. Accuracy on point, distance control, all of it is top notch. But the thing with 1putt rule is accuracy, distance control dispersion are much less necessary. As your target is no longer the flag, or the safe section of the green. The target is the green. Regardless of a flag. Tucked pins no longer matter, trouble around the green no longer matters. If I’ve got water short at 130, a pin at 138, and 40 yards multi tiered green behind the flag. I no longer have a minimum 132 carry and, maximum 140, and 172 to the back. Long ill putt It off the green into the water very small margin or error. i Now have minimum 132 carry and maximum 170 still guaranteed birdy. And if I get a flyer long 175-180? Well i also don’t need to chip down to that hole near the water. I need to chip it a few yards and make sure it just stays on green. Par save.

Pretty much yes. Driver would be important, but even the driver becomes less important because the need to be in short grass for spin control matters less also, because you have much larger room for a ball to roll out. Short par 4s aren't as important to risk going for it, because a regular GIR is automatic birdy. The risk-reward of trying to get eagles is important, but a guaranteed birdy would be fine for most people, because you'd have plenty of other birdies. I would say the most important clubs in the bag would be your 175-100 yard clubs, and the 75-25 yard clubs to insure you can get on a green even if you had a wayward tee shot, or approach. Fantasizing about this wish is almost as fun as talking about what you'd do if you won mega millions, lol.