2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24

bortass

Thoughts and prayers that you and yours are well and happy.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

A good friend once said to me

“coincidence is God working anonymously”.

it seems that all is working out truly for the “greater good” for all concerned in this matter.

You and your Bride have done well.

Good Job bortass you're doing the right thing. Since the virus lockdown began in March we have had elderly parents living with us and it does impact the ability to just head off to the range or course for a couple hours. Things need to be planned out a little more but it is definitely worth the effort, we wouldn't change a thing.

Glad to hear you are getting your family taken care of!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Hi Bort,

I was one of those guys that enjoyed and encouraged you when you first started writing about your experience playing golf. Good to see you are back at it, even with the burdens you are carrying now.

May I ask a question?

Assuming your answer is yes, How do you warm up before a round? How much stretching do you do, how many swings and practice putts do you take? How many balls do you hit?

I understand time is short for all of us, but if you can get off the first hole with a par or bogey, and hit at least one or two good shots off the teem your confidence will soar. It seems to be you might benefit from ten to 15 minutes of stretching, then hit a few short irons, maybe a couple of longer clubs, and your last two balls to hit the first tee ball of your round. Then take some time, go to the putting green and hit some putts, like use the old Circle drill from 3 feet, or 5 feet, chip a couple or a few, and when you feel comfortable your body and mind are loose and ready to roll. Lastly, if you want, roll a couple putts to stop dead on the collar, right where the green and fringe meet to give an idea of speed.

If your warmup is bad, forget it, you just got rid of all your bad swings before the first hole! If your warmup is good, then you are ready to out and kick butt on the first hole and more after it.

Once you get a par, they can be contagious for the rest of your round. confidence breeds confidence.

Hope you can get out soon.

Good news, we got the transfer done ourselves. The facility in AL tried to arrange transport and it was deemed medically unneeded and would have cost 6K out of pocket for about 170 miles, one way. So we did it ourselves. I think we're starting to turn the corner and it won't be easy but well worth it.
@jkumpire Long time no see! I remember you tagging along with my trials and tribulations when I was trying to break 100 and then 90. The support I got from you and the other guys in those threads is why I started this one. At least now you're not reading about me trying to keep a 7w off the tee in play on every hole like back then, lol. Same issue, different club Gone are the days when I thought double bogey was good because most everything was a triple, lol.

My warm up is almost like it was years ago. Normally when playing 9, I'm trying to sneak it in with the rest of my day. I'm not in a rush on the course but I want to use as little time as possible. So nowadays I will warm up a bit with my Orange Whip, back in the day and even earlier this year, I'd just swing a club a few times and tee off. 18s on Saturday are different. I'm playing with a group of guys so there's time to warm up since I'm normally in the last tee time for that group. I will usually pitch the ball, hit a few full shots and partial wedges, and sometimes putt a bit.

#1 is the #1 HCP hole but just because of length. I consider 18 to be harder because of the water. Anyhow, I have been playing well for the most part on that hole. So opening with a par or bogey gets me in a good frame of mind. Even a double here is not the end of the world, I won't like it but it makes sense based on the HCP.
@Myherobobhope mentioned the book Every Shot Counts. I got it for Father's Day and have read a little of it with the recent road trips. It's very interesting, especially when he talks about putting not making a huge difference in overall scores. It's an interesting read and I think my only ding on the book is the amount of time spent in the early chapter going back to the fact that putting accounts for about 15% of scoring differences. Maybe it's just because I didn't need to be heavily swayed after seeing the numbers, etc. This is based on the overall population though, not individuals. He mentions this a few times and i'm sure it'll come up more later. Just because putting accounts for only %15 of the scoring differences overall doesn't mean that's the case for an individual.

I do like the book and I find it easy to read.

Thanks again for the support. it's appreciated.

Ha, I forgot to mention the book starts off a little rough... honestly, I felt like he kept trying to justify why I was reading it instead of giving me actual, usable data... More than the average stats, my takeaway was focusing on where I can improve marginally... It's not about "saving" a stroke a hole, it's above improving a .10 of a shot and having that add up to a whole shot over time... I'm a six handicap, so my improvements are more fractional.

On the warming up front, I've invested in some resistance bands and like to use them to stretch... other than my current oblique injury, I've found them to be very helpful (pro tip, don't use them to aggressively train rotational pulls the first day you get them...) I like to hit a few full swings before I play, but the "warming up" portion is more getting loose than it is getting into a "groove"... If i'm trying to find a swing on the range, I'm in for a long day.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

@Myherobobhope Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like the book. It's easy to read and maybe for some people they need to have it repeated since it's going against golf dogma. I don't but I'm still good with it. I haven't gotten far into it but I feel better know that my instinct to worry about my longer game made some sense.

Your comment on marginal improvement reminded me of something. I used to play Texas Hold'em for fun and I read a number of books on theory and how to play etc. The most interesting one, which I can't recall the name of, dealt with the correct play with the known cards and current pot. It comes down to knowing when the amount you can win is more then your odds of losing based on current cost to stay in. I have a 9% chance to win but if it only costs me $5 to win $100, call. My cost is 5% and odds to win are 9%, so it's the correct play. The fractional strokes are the same way. They will start to show up over a series of rounds, not in every one nor right away.

I got to play this weekend. 18 with the guys on Saturday and I walked 9 yesterday evening, which was an adventure. I recorded a new stat which is second putt distance. Every Shot Counts made me think of it. This way I have a better idea about my putting.

So how'd I do after two weeks of not swinging a club?

Saturday was high 80s, possibly low 90s, with decent humidity. Sunny and no wind or real breeze that I can think of. I warmed up beforehand with a few putts and then I hit some pitches, partial wedges, and a few full 8is. The warm up seemed okay and nothing appeared too out of whack. I used my new putting routine on every hole, so I won't mention it much. Just know that I did it. I know if some were long or short but I can't recall every hole. So I'll note the long/short if I recall.

1 - longer par 4. I hit a low fade down the right side, 228 yards into the rough just past the clump of trees that grows on that side. I have a clear shot at the flag which is on the right side of the green, behind the bunker. My lie is fine and I'm about 160 from center. I hit a low push with my 4i, 132 yards, under the small trees that are right of the green. My lie is fine in the pine straw and I chip with my niblick. Contact is good but I'm about 12 feet short, shot went 24 yards. I look my putt over and follow the new routine I started the last time I played. The ball stops a foot from the hole and I sink the bogey putt, 5.

2 - par 3, about 130ish and I normally hit 7i here. The flag is all the way on the left behind the left front bunker. I aim for center of the green and hit my 7i. It's a high push that lands on the slope right of the green and kicks right, 126 yards. So i aimed for center and I'm almost 14 yards from the right edge of the green... I have the entire green to work with and chip with my niblick and contact is good but no where near good enough. I'm barely on the green, 15 yard chip. I have about 49 feet to go and the putt is slightly downhill with right to left break. I hit my putt and it stops in line with the hole about 5 feet short.... I sink the next one for a bogey, 4.

Not an awesome start but it's good.

3 - par 5, dogleg right. I hit a low draw with my driver, 219, into the fairway near the left side. I'm 232 out from center and hit my 4w. I top is 92 yards... I'm 150ish and hit my 5i. It's a low draw that's a bit thin. It's heading for the green but I can't see it land for some reason. I find my ball short of the green, 125 yard shot. It may have landed closer to the green and rolled back but I have no clue. I chip on with the niblick but leave it 21 feet from the hole, I detect a trend... I hit my putt to about three feet and miss the next one... So a 3 putt double bogey 7. I'm not sure what happened with that second putt.

4 - shorter par 4, that I have been using my 5i off the tee. I aim for the center of the fairway and hit a low pull 151 yards into the left rough, just short of the trees/brush that line the hole. I'm in that 150 yard range still and hit my 5i. It's bladed, 125 yards, and I see it land in a greenside bunker. The sand is firm, so I use a square face with my SW. I set up as usual for a sand shot and swing. I hit behind the ball as planned and the ball pops up in the air and rolls 9 feet past the flag, about a 23 yard shot. I go through my new routine and my putt stops within a foot of the cup. I sink the bogey putt, 5.

Still not a great round, but bogey golf isn't bad for me.

5 - par 5, dogleg right. I tee off with my 5i, which has been my normal shot for a while. I hit a high, thin push, 128 yards, onto the slope that's right of the fairway. Not good. The ball is now a couple feet above my feet and I hit my 6i. It's a mishit that goes 68 yards and stays on the slope but in a flat area. I have no good shot towards the hole because of trees and I haven't cleared the corner yet. I just want to get into the fairway and hit my 8i. It's a thin mishit, 102 yards, that goes through the fairway into the left rough. I'm about 155-160 from center and the ball is below my feet. I expect the ball to go right on me because of the slope. There's a stream that fronts the green on the left and I aim towards the right side of the green with my 4i. Contact is decent and it's a fade that misses the green right, 133 yards. I use the niblick to chip, 22 yards, and get it 6 feet from the cup. I miss high and about a foot behind the cup. I make the next one for another double bogey, 7.

Two bad par 5s with not a penalty in sight. I feel like I can't hit the ball.

6 - par 4, slight dogleg left. I top my driver 79 yards into the fairway... I then top my 4w, 47 yards, still in the fairway. Two shots and I'm not even where a 'normal' drive for me will be. I'm 170ish out and hit my 7w. It's a top that goes 84 yards, lol. I suck. I hit a partial PW 75 yards onto the green about 36 feet past the hole. The green slopes away from me and break is left to right. I hit my putt and it ends up a foot from the hole. So a two putt, double bogey, 6.

Holy crap.... At least my putting has been decent.

7 - par 4, elevated tee shot and the fairway slopes away from the tees until you get inside 100 yards. I hit a strong draw with my driver, 248 yards, into the fairway on the left side. I'm 90ish from center and hit my PW. It's a slight mishit but still was a high draw that went 89 yards and landed on the green, 36 feet short of the cup. I hit my birdie putt and it stops inside 6 inches. So i get my first par of the day.

8 - par 3, elevated tee shot and the flag is at the front of the green just right of center. This is where i hit my 8i. It's a high pull that misses the green completely and I'm in the left rough. I chip with my niblick, 21 yards, and end up 6 feet out. I sink the par putt though!

Well finally a couple of pars. I'm keeping things together with no blow ups yet.

9 - par 4, pond on the left as you get closer to the green. I tee off with my 5i and it's off the toe, The ball goes 138 yards into the fairway on the right side. The flag is back left and it's 155ish to the back. I aim more towrds center to reduce my pond carry as much as I can. I hit a big push, dead right down the right side of the fairway, the ball isn't even flying towards the green into trees that are to the right of the cart path. I chip/pitch from the pinestraw with my niblick, 31 yards, and i'm on the green, right side, about 61 feet from the cup.... The green slopes back to front but I don't have to deal with the tier at least. I hit my putt and it breaks as expected and I'm in line with the hole 3 feet short. I sink the next one for a bogey 5.

Well things have been interesting so far. I'm having some troubles hitting the ball at times but still managed to play okay so far.

10 - par 4 dogleg left, elevated tee shot. The tee are setup on the left side. So there's not real angle past the corner, so I hit my 4w instead of driver. A good drive would go through the fairway and I don't want to do that. I hit a good draw 201 yards into the middle of the fairway. The flag is middle of the green but I can't tell if it's front/mid/back. I need to carry the bunker and it's about 130ish. I go with my 7i and chunk it 98 yards, short of the bunker. I have a blind shot now. The green is above my head and I can't see the flag. I hit a partial SW and it ends up in the back fringe, maybe 3 feet off the green. I use my putter to chip it to 3 feet and sink the bogey putt, 5.

11 - par 4, dogleg left. The fairway slopes down to a stream that must be carried, short of the green. I hit my normal 5i off the tee and i hit a nice mid height draw, 173 yards, in to the fairway towards the right side and just a little down from the crest of the slope. The flag is forward and the front of the green is 80ish yards. I figure I'll hit my PW. I don't commit to the shot during my back swing and stop it too soon and hit a high shot right into the stream... I drop and pitch the ball across with my SW, short of the green. I'm in the fringe again and use my putter to chip to 3 feet and make the double bogey putt, 6.

Ouch. I was is a very good position off the tee and screwed the pooch with my second shot. I thought I knew what i wanted to hit but mid swing that changed and nothing good ever comes from that.

12 - par 4, dogleg left with an elevated green. I go with 4w since driver could go through the fairway into the trees. It's a low pull that hits the slope on the left side of the fairway and it kicks back right into the fairway, 165 yards since i lost distance by hitting the hill. The green is elevated and the flag is on the left side, so the bunker is not in play. i'm about 140ish or so and hit my 6i. I chunk it 44 yards... Okay, now for a full PW and I catch it fat too and the ball goes about 68 yards and lands a few yards short of the green. A playing partner's ball is 5 yards behind mine but I'm in his line. So instead of marking it I rush a chip with my putter and miss the hole wide by 10 feet.... My first putt misses and goes 2 feet long and I sink the next for a double bogey, 6.

13 - par 3, flag is back left behind a bunker. The green is elevated as well. I hit my normal 7i and it's either topped or bladed well left 84 yards. Pretty sure I laughed after I hit this shot. I'm in the left rough and about 55 yards from the back of the green, so I hit a partial SW. I chunk it 24 yards into the bunker. Well I already have my SW with me at least. The ball is on the firm stuff in the bunker, so I use a square face. I can't see the hole itself because of the height difference with me being lower. I hit my shot and it comes out nicely. A guy in my group says 'That's a golf shot. Go in the hole'. My 24 yard bunker shot just missed the cup and stopped a foot past the hole. So I atleats get a bogey and have a positive shot to hold onto.

14 - par 5, pretty straight. This entire fairway slopes down towards the right to a large pond next to the fairway as you get closer to the green, maybe around 150 out. I hit a low draw with driver down the middle, 219 yards. My ball is on a slight down slope, one yard less and I'd have been in a flat spot. A wood is out of the question now. I take my 4i and align myself with the down slope. I catch it thin and it's a low fade that goes 151 yards and stops in the fairway on the right side near the pond. The flag is on the left side of the green, so the pond isn't in play for me. I'm about 70ish out and hit a partial PW. I don't know how I manage it but it's a pull that goes 88 yards over the left side of the green into the rough across the cart path. I pitch with my niblick, 31 yards, and the ball is 12 feet past the hole. I hit my par putt and it's tracking good and misses and I'm 6 inches out. So I have another bogey, 6.

15 - shorter par 4, with an elevated tee shot into a fairway that's always soft and cart path only year round. I decide to not use my driver since this is a shorter hole. A good drive can get me inside 100 yards but I figure the 4w is a bit straighter and reduces the odds I go into the trees on the right. I hit a low pull with my 4w, 175 yards down the left side into the rough short of a fairway bunker. Cart path only and i'm not sure how far out I am, so i bring my PW, SW, and putter with me. The SW is the best option based on distance, so I hit a partial shot that comes that misses a bit left. I chip with my SW and the ball is 15 feet short of the hole. My putt stops on the low side inside 3 inches of the hole. So another bogey, 5.

16 - par 3, flag is near the middle behind a bunker, and there's a force stream carry. My 7i is what I use here. I hit a low pull, 111 yards, that hits in the rough just short of the green and it hops into the back left corner of the bunker. The sand is soft and fluffy in the back corner. I also am swinging at an angle since the flag is to my right. I open the face of my SW and hit the ball out and into the fringe. I use my putter to chip and the ball stops 4 feet from the hole. The chip was about 15 yards, so it was an okay shot I guess. I sink the bogey putt for a 4.

17 - par 4, slight dogleg left. I use driver and it's a decent shot 210 yards into the fairway. I'm 130 out and the flag is on the right behind a bunker. This green slopes left to right, so i aim for the middle where there's a gap between the bunkers. My ball should take the slope down towards the hole after it lands. I hit the shot a bit heavy, 122 yards, and I'm short of the green in the fringe. I use my putter for the chip that goes 12 yards and I'm 6 feet from the cup. I sink the par putt though, 4.

18 - par 5, elevated tee shot, there is a force stream carry on an approach shot. Also a pond that has to be carried unless you play down the left side which tends to mean that I'm going for the green with my 4th shot. I hit a solid drive down the left side that hits the splope there, kicks right, hits the cart path and bounces. It's a 230 yard shot in the left rough which is pretty light. I'm about 120 from the stream, so maybe a 130ish carry. I hit my 7w to carry the stream and setup a possible third shot into the green. I blade it about 2 feet off the ground, it drops into the stream and bounces up in the air and drops back in... I drop and hit a weak 7i, 109 yards, into the fairway left of the green. I'm 60 yards from center and chunk a partial GW, 43 yards and short of the green. I use my putter to chip it to 5 feet, ball went about 20 yards. I miss my putt and my next one is only a foot, so i sink it. I have my first blowup hole on 318 with a triple 8.

A 46/48 94. I was surprised my score was that low with my struggles to hit the ball. Sure, I had a few good holes but I didn't make it easy on myself. Only 1 GIR too. The bright spots were putting and sand game. I feel good about my putting since it's been improved with my new routine. Tracking my second putt distance also helps with this. I was getting myself real close even on those long lag putts.

I'm gonna talk about Sunday's 9 in a later post, so it doesn't get lost in this one.

• Like 1

So the 9 I walked. We went to 'Bama and back yesterday to get paperwork and a few items to get things set up here for the MIL. So I spent a good 5 hours driving. It's an easy drive at least. We got back a bit after 5 and my wife said I had plenty of time to go golfing. It was high 80s still, humid, but I decided to walk.

I couldn't hit the ball. On #1, I topped a 7w approach and then hit my 8i thin, over the green into the stream behind it, carded a 7. On #3 it took 7 shots to get on the green with not a penalty in sight. I topped my first 5 shots. My 6th was a PW that I hit thin, 115 yards, over the green. Pitched on and two putt for 9. #4, my 5i tee shot was way off the toe and went 115 yards. I lost my focus and 3 putt from 4 feet for another triple. Tee shot on #6 went into a hazard, lol.

My swing just didn't feel right. What I think I discovered on #5 is that I was taking the club inside too much. I hit a nice 4i on #5 that had the correct ball flight and went 158 yards and it felt like I kept the start of my back swing more to the outside instead of wrapping it behind me and opening the club face.

I managed a par on #7 where I hit a high draw 243 into the left rough and hit my 8i, 114, onto the green and I two putted from 17 feet. I did hit both par 3s in regulation and two putt each time, one was about 47 feet and the other about 15.

I felt good about the putting except when I went out to lunch on #4. I didn't make it easy but it was the one area that seemed decent. Here are putt distances first putt/second putt in feet.

2/holed

48/3

31/4

4/2 long/1 my three putt lol

23/2

24/2

18/2.5

15/2

5/2

This week will have to include range time before I play again. I just can't go out there if I can't hit the ball. No idea what happened to my swing in the two weeks I took off but it'll come back.

• Like 1

Bortass, I hadn't been commenting much lately, but I have been following your progress.

That 18 hole round looked like it was pretty solid, especially considering your layoff. Your short game really looks to have moved to a new level and it seems you are much more comfortable that you will be successful. Whatever you're doing with your preshot routine when putting surely seems to be working for you. While reading it, I had a sense that you seemed more relaxed during that round and just approached each shot and let the round come to you. Well done.

@Twin2L It's good to hear from you. The short game is a mixed bag still but the putting has improved.

I hit the range a few days ago and it was an improvement. Today I played a quick 9. Ball striking was better but I suffered from pulls and pushes, along with a couple fat irons. My chipping left a lot to be desired. I'm leaving the ball short of the hole by quite a bit. My putting was a touch off but I'm not too worried. best shots were a 163 yard 5i off the tee of #5 and a 153 7i on #8 from the elevated tee box. I hit both of those solid. It'll be interesting to see how I do with the guys tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • Like 1

I was able to play 18 Saturday. The conditions were near perfect. Sunny, low humidity, a little breeze, and temps in the low 80s. I warmed up with some pitches, a few full swings, and a driver or two. It was so so. A number of pushes and thin shots as well. I spent a couple minutes on the practice green as well just to get a feel for the speed of them. I played the forward tees again, 5484 yards on the card 67.3/121 rating/slope.

1 - Longer par 4, 375 yards on the card. The tee box is slightly elevated from the fairway by just a few yards for this set of tees. The cart path runs down the left side of this hole with trees and the range to the left of it. The cart path for #9 runs down the right side of this hole and there is a smaller clump of trees on the right probably 160 - 220 yards from the tees. Other than that it's open and a slice will likely end up in the 9th fairway or rough. The green is elevated from the surrounding fairway. There's a bunker on the front right and a small clump of younger trees to the right of the green bordering the cart path for 9. The cart path also runs behind the green and there is brush and a large stream behind the path.

I hit driver off the tee and it's a nice draw down the right side 228 yards into the fairway. The flag is towards the middle of the green and I don't really need to worry about the bunker too much. I'm about 150ish out and I hit my 5i. It's a low pull that lands on the left side slope leading to the green. The ball kicks left across the cart path. I get to the green and there's no sign of my ball. It looks like it went into the stream. I drop and chip with my niblick. The ball comes out good but I leave it 17 feet short. There is a spine in the green that I have to putt over and it'll break left to right. I hit my putt and it stops about 6 inches from the cup. So I end up with a double bogey 6.

2 - par 3, 133 yards on the card. There are bunkers front left and front right with a strip of grass between them to get to the green that's probably about 4 yards right. There's also a bunker on the back left. leading to the front of the green is a smooth slope but the green is elevated on the right side and the back. The green slopes from back right to front left and it's significant enough that you can land on the back right and the ball will feed towards the front and left.

The flag is front right, behind the bunker and I decide to hit my 7i. I chunk it 76 yards and it's also a slight pull. So the ball goes about 76 yards and ends up in the rough on the right side. I'm 40ish from the front of the green and hit a partial SW. The ball comes out nice and high, clears the bunker and lands on the green, 46 yard shot. I'm about 9 feet from the hole and sink the par putt. So a 3 to help offset the opening 6.

3 - par 5, dogleg right, 452 yards on the card. This hole wraps around the base of a hill, so it's a curved hole. There's brush and a stream on the left. The right has the slope of the hill and mature trees. The fairway itself is level and is part of the flood plain for the stream. The tee box is slightly elevated and there are two bunkers in the left rough that are only in play off the tee. This green has a cluster of five bunkers from the middle and wrapping around the right side to the back of the green. The left front is open and the left side is slightly elevated from the surrounding area.

I aim a bit right, which has my shot going over a spine of the hill that comes down near the teeboxes. This is the line to hit the center of the fairway and there's no real trouble as long as you get the ball 10-15 feet off the ground, otherwise you might hit the spine itself. I swing with my driver and hit a pop up push 111 yards, up the hill and behind a tree. I also left a new idiot mark on my driver. The ball is right behind a tree so i have to come out sideways and there's some small wiry bushes aka baby trees near my ball. I hack my ball out with my 9i and it rolls about 22 yards and gets into the right rough, across the cart path. I haven't really gained any distance towards the hole and haven't reached the corner, so i can't see the green. A 4w may go into the brush on the left through the fairway, so I hit my 4i instead. It's a nice top that goes 105 yards but now I'm in the fairway. So three shots and I'm 205 from center and can see the green. I go with my 4w and top it 84 yards.... This is going real well. The flag is to the left side, so no bunkers to deal with. I'm 130 from center and hit my 7i. It's a bit low and I miss the green to the left but my ball stays in the fringe, 132 yards. I use my putter to chip and get the ball 6 feet from the cup. I sink the double bogey putt, 7.

Well that hole was 'fun'. Took me 6 strokes to get on the green and not a penalty in sight.

4 - shorter par 4, 283 yards on the card. This hole curves slightly right. It's also at the base of the hill but the right side of this hole has some slope to it, so going left will giver a more level lie unless you miss long enough to the right where it will level off above the green. There's a bunker in the right rough, starting maybe 130ish from the forward tees. It's located in the slope that runs down the right side. The left side is brush that fronts the stream. The fairway rises pretty smoothly to the green and there are three bunkers fronting it, left, center, and right. There's also a bunker on the right side near the back of the green.

I have been hitting my 5i off this tee since my driver had been a bit wild in the past and this is a shorter hole. I hit a nice draw that heads towards the left side of the fairway, 175 yards. I have a good lie and the flag is middle back. I need to carry bunkers but that's a given on this hole. I have 135ish to the back and hit my 7i. It's a weak push off the toe that goes 123 yards, and carries the bunkers. My ball is in the right fringe and I chip with my putter. It's not great and I'm 10 feet from the hole. I hit my putt and it breaks before the hole and stops 1 foot out on the low side. I make the bogey putt, 5.

5 - par 5, dogleg right. Like #3 this hole curves around the base of the hill. The left side in the area of the tee shot is trees with the stream. The right side has the slope of the hile and there's a flat area at the top of that slope that runs to the corner at the end of the area for tee shots. It's wide enough to drive a couple carts up there. 200 yards or so off the forward tees the fairway narrows because the stream goes under it. So any ball hit 170+yards and left could end up in the stream. The left side of this hole then opens up and it's just another slope going down to the fairway. So imagine the fairway is in a valley between two ridges in the hill. The right side of the hole it a few trees and a lot of rough with the stream. The stream cuts under the fairway again by the green, so the left side of the green has this fronting it. The right side is open with two bunkers at the rear of the green. The green itself is set into the slope, and is above the fairway from where you'd hit an approach. It slopes back right to front left and there is a tier in it. It's not uncommon for a ball to trickle to the edge of the tier and roll all the way down and possibly off the green.

I go with my normal 5i off the tee for this hole. My woods and even 4i have found the stream at the end of the fairway when i have hit a good shot. I hit a solid draw down the right side, 172 yards , into the fairway on the right. More to the left would have given my a better angle for my next shot and taken the the stream on the right out of play more. My lie is fine and I feel good about where I am. I decide to hit my 7w. A weak push will go into the stream area and a strong push could as well if it clips a tree. I think to myself that a strong fade would be real good here. I swing my 7w and hit that strong fade. It's a touch more right than i wanted and it clips some leaves off a tree and it keeps going 185 yards into the fairway on the right side about 50 yards from center. It was a great shot. The flag is on the upper tier on the right side of the green. I grab my Sw and hit a partial shot. I don't swing hard and hit a high shot that lands short of the green. I chip with the niblick and the ball rolls to the top of the tier and trickles down it 21 feet below the hole. Blah, oh well. I hit my par putt 6 feet past the hole and sink the next one for a bogey 6.

I screwed up that partial wedge. I figure that cost me my par since I feel good about two putting.

6 - par 4, that curves to the left, 290 yards. There is a slope to the right of the fairway with OoB, houses, and trees. The left is all trees and there is a drop off/steep slope in the left rough as you get close to the woods. pretty much any ball hit there will go into the trees. There's a bunker in the left rough 120-140 yards off the forward tees. If you go over that bunker there's a good chance your ball will catch that steep slope and end up in the woods. The green is elevated from the surrounding area with a bunker in the front left.

I hit my driver and it's a decent draw that hits the slope on the right side past the outside edge of the curve and it kicks left into the fairway, 189 yards off the tee. I'm about 105 from center and the flag is towards the middle of the green. My lie is good and I don't need to deal with the bunker at all. I hit a solid, high draw with my 9i, 109 yards, onto the green, 17 feet left and a bit past the hole. this green slopes from back to front, so i have a left to right break. I hit my putt and the ball misses high and stops 2 feet past the hole. I sink my par putt, 4.

7 - par 4, dogleg right near the green, 346 yards. This hole also follows the curve of the hill. It slopes from right to left. the right side is a steeper slope of rough with trees and house/OOB. This fairway is very wide, so the left side really isn't an issue unless you hit a snap hook off the tee and send it into some bushes. There's two bunkewrs in the left rough makrking the outside corner. The tee box is elevated as the entire fairway slopes down and left until you get about 70 - 90 yards out. The green is elevated on the left side but level on the right with a bunker front left and back left.

I smoke a high draw, 255, down the left side into the fairway. Awesome shot for me. The flag is kind of middle right and I have just the outside edge of the bunker on my line. I'm 90ish from center and decide to hit my PW. It's a high push that goes 89 yards into the right rough by the green. I chip with my niblick and the ball runs through the green in the back corner. I had been leaving chips short the day before and sent this one long. I'm in the fringe and use my putter to chip it to 4 feet and I sink the bogey putt.

8 - par 3, 140 yards on the card and straight. The tee boxes are very elevated here probably a good 15 - 20 yards above the green. The entire right side is a slope that goes down towards the left and is long grass which they do not mow. it's easy to lose balls in there. The green has a single bunker on the right side and the front is completely open. The flag is middle left. The left side of this hole is all brush, so a hook is probably going to be lost as well.

I hit 8i unless the flag is back because of the height advantage off the tee. I chunk it 104 yards and short of the green. I use my niblick to pitch on and the ball stops 9 feet from the hole, to the left and past it some. This is another left to right breaking putt and i miss just high and end up 2 feet past. I make the boigey putt, 4.

9 - par 4, 300 yards. Pretty straight hole with the green jutting off to the left. There's a pond on the left that borders the fairway and it causes the fairway to narrow as you get closer to the green. The pond fronts the entire green as well. the right side has some trees in spots including large mature pines as you get closer to the green. An easy hole if there were no water.

I have been teeing off with my 5i lately here as well. The fairway narrows, so a longer club can go in the water if it's just a little left and i have hit my 4i into the pond on a slight pull that was well struck otherwise. I hit the ball a touch heavy and off the toe. it's a weak draw, 119 yards, down the right side of the fairway. Well, I kept it dry off the tee. I'm 180 yards out or so, so i could whack my 4w at the green but it'll be mostly pond carry at the end. No thanks. I play it safe and lay up down the right side my a punched 7i that goies 129 yards. The flag is front right and there is a tier in the back of this green which can cause balls to roll off the green. So i want to be on the lower deck with the flag. I pitch with my niblick and it catches the turf at the start of my back swing. I make good contact but the ball misses the green to the right in the fringe. I use my putter to chip and send the ball 6 feet past the hole... My putt stops inside 3 inches of the cup, so a double bogey 6.

Not a great front 9 but I'm keeping it together even with my inability to hit the ball well.

10 - par 4, 338 yards, dog leg left.This has an elevated tee shot onto a flat area and then the green is above the landing zone. The right side is all mature woods, as it the left. The fairway is decently wide though. It narrows just short of the green as a small section of trees juts out a touch and then opens up again for the green itself. there's a large bunker set into the front right of the slope leading up to the green. Any shot from there is blind.

I decide to hit my 4w to reduce the risk of hitting it through the fairway. it's a push fade that lands in the right rough and kicks into the trees... I find my ball surrounded by low wiring bushes. I can't get in there and get a club on it with the other branches in the area, so I take an unplayable. My drop lands in bare patch and I'm on a slight slope. My 7i catches the ground behind the ball since it was in a low spot and blades it forward about 70 yards into the fairway on the left. I'm about 95-100 from center with the green above me. the flag is front middle, behind the bunker. I decide on my 9i and lay the sod over it. The ball goes about 43 yards... Now i take my SW and hit a partial shot. it's nice and high and lands on the green, 56 yard shot, and stops about 10 feet past the hole. My putt goes 2 feet long and i end up with a triple bogey 7. My first blowup of the day.

11 - par 4, 268 yards, close to a 45* dogleg left. Trees down the left side. the right side is trees as well but i've never seen a ball go that way. It possible to hit through this fairway at the corner though and that's more trees and you're probably blocked out from a shot at the green. There are two bunker in the right rough marking the outside of the corner, so they kind of protect from a ball rolling long through the fairway. they are about 145 yards from the forward tees. The fairway is level until you get in the area of 100 yards out or so where it slopes down to a stream that must be carried and the green is at that lower level as well with a single bunker on the left side.

I have put my 4i into one of those bunkers and use my 5i normally. I tend to be able to curve my shot around the corner and can sometimes catch the slope. Today i hit a straight draw with the 5i, 143 yards, into the rough through the fairway. The flag is forward and I have a good lie and it's level. I'm 120 from center or so and hit my 8i. It's thin, a low draw that lands on the back of the green and rolls off, 146 yards. The ball is in the rough on the slope at the back of the green. I'm maybe 4 yards off it and have the entire green to work with. the green slopes back to front as well. I chip with my niblick and leave it 32 feet short. Ouch. I look my putt over and hit it. It's tracking at the hole and stops 2 feet short. I sink the next one for a bogey 5.

12 - par 4, 308 yards, dogleg left. This hole follows the curve of a hill, so the left side is a slope and trees. The right side is trees with a stream. A bunker sits in the right rough marking the outside of the corner. the green itself is elevated from the fairway with a bunker front right and another back left. the front right bunker is below the green and leads to blind shots. There is also a tier in this green that runs at an angle from the back left to back right.

I tee off with my 4w to reduce the odds of going through the fairway. I hit a dead pull that goes into the left trees off the tee box and the ball hits a tree and kicks into the fairway, 84 yards.... I figure on a 7i to try to get the ball to the corner and setup my third shot to the green. I pull that into the slope on the left, 106 yards. I can see the green now and it's about 90 yards or so. the ball is below my feet and it's sparse rough with pine cones, rocks, and branches. I figure i can hack a PW on and the ball goes 30 yards. I'm now in partial GW range and I hit it solid, 79 yards, onto the green onto the back tier 54 feet from the hole. So now i have a very lonfg putt that has to run down a tier close to the hole. So speed is an issue if i don't want to roll off the front. I hit my putt and it catches the tier as planned but stops 6 feet short... I miss the next one and three putt for a triple bogey 7.

My game is falling apart on me...

13 - par 3, 118 yards, uphill. There is a bunker front right and one front left with a pretty decent gap between them. back left has a bunker as well. There is also a tier in this green from back left to front right. the flag is back right, on the upper deck. there's some wind in our face but not much. I decide to hit my 8i and it's a high draw going right on the flag. the ball lands on the green, 27 feet short of the hole. Guess I should have hit my 7i... I have to put up the tier now and the green slopes to my right. I hit the putt and it's tracking good, stopping a foot from the hole. So I securea par, 3.

14 - par 5, 447 yards. The tee shot is elevated and the fairway slopes down from the left to right and away from the tees. The left side is a slope that goes down towards the fairway. There's a slope with houses to the right, as well, and then a pond once it bottoms out. The pond can come into play on your second shot if you go right. It also covers the entire right side of the hole and wraps around the back. The green itself has a tier in it. There are bunkers on the left side of the green, opposite the pond.

I hit a high draw with my driver, 244 yards, into the fairway on the right side. I have a good lie and fairly level. i don't want to hit a wood and risk something going wrong with the pond to my right. I aim left and hit my 4i. It's chunked 83 yards... I'm 130 from center and the flag is back right. So a direct shot has pond carry. I aim a bit left and hit my 7i. It's a high, slight pull, that travels 132 yards and lands in one of the back bunkers. The sand is very firm, so I use a square SW. I hit behind the ball and it comes out nicely and lands on the upper tier of the green. the ball rolls, catches the tier and picks up some spreed and stops 10 feet past the hole. I could have swung a little softer I think. the flag is in a little swale in the green, so the putt breaks opposite of what you'd expect. I know this from experience :). I hit my putt and it stops less than 3 inches short of the center of the cup...I have a bogey,6, though and I'm good with that.

15 - par 4, 258 yards, straight hole. Elevated tee shot into a fairway that's soft and cart path only year round. there's a forced stream carry off the tee but it's not much of an issue unless you don't hit the ball 80ish yards in the air. The left side of this hole is all trees and the right side is also trees but a bit more open since there are houses on that side. there are two bunkers in the rough/fairway on the left side short of the green. The green itself has a bunker in all four corners.

This is another hole I've started to use my 4w instead of driver on. Accuracy is more important on a shorter hole like this. I hit a nice draw down the left side, 188 yards into the fairway and short of one of the bunkers. I have a good lie and hit a partial SW 66 yards onto the green about 18 feet past the hole. My biridie putt stops inside 6 inches, so I get another par.

16 - par 3, 141 yards, slightly elevated with a forced stream carry near the green. There is a bunker in the middle front and two in the back, one left and the other right. This green is set into the side of a slope, so going long will lead to a shot from above the green. The green itself has a pretty good slope from left to right. Balls hit to the middle can sometimes rolls a good 20 feet towards the right front.

The flag is forward and behind the bunker. My 7i tends to reach the back of the green, so I hit my 8i. It's a high pull draw that misses the green just to the left. I'm in the fringe and use my putter. The green slopes away from me and I have a tier to go down too. I hit the ball too firm and it rolls 25 feet past the hole and gets stopped by the collar. I'm on the correct tier at least and hit my putt to 2 feet and sink the bogey putt.

17 - par 4, 354 yards, slight curve left. Both the left and right side of this hole are trees. There's a slope on the left if you miss quite a bit left near the green. There are a couple of bunkers in the right rough at the corner. The fairway is mostly level, though missing right could have the ball on a lower level. This green slopes left to right with a tier in it as well. I have barely missed a putt in the back left and watched it roll a good 20 feet down the slope. Placement is important... There are bunkers front left and right, along with back right.

I hit a solid shot with my driver into the fairway , 211 yards. I have a good lie and the flag is on the left. I'm 150 from center and hit my 5i. The shot is a push off the toe and it travels 140 yards, clears the right bunker and lands on the green. I'm front right and the flag is left. I'm 37 feet out and have to go up the tier and things break right to left on me. I hit my putt and it gets close to the top of the tier, 6 feet short of the hole, when it starts to break and it slowly turns left and trickles down the tier, picking up a little speed and stops 24 feet below the hole... Well crap. I putt again and leave it 4 feet short but it stays up this time. My third putt also misses, so I 4 putt for a double bogey 6.

Holy crap, I knew this green can pose problems putting and I just decided to illustrate it yet again.

18 - par 5, 494 yards, pretty straight but the green is offset to the right. The tee shot is slightly elevated. There is a wooded slope on the left and the right side is just trees. There is a single bunker in the right rough but it'll take along hitter to reach it. there is a force stream carry for your second shot unless you lay up. Across the stream the fairway is bordered by a pond on the right side and that pond fronts the entire green. There's a couple bunkers in the rough on the left side across the stream in the fairway/bail out area. The green slopes back to front and also has a tier in it.

I hit a pull with my driver that bounces off the left slope and ends up in the fairway, 128 yards off the tee. I now have to lay up no matter what and hit a solid 5i, it's a high draw that drops out of the sky at the end, 143 yards, and in the fairway on the left side. I have only gone for this green once from this side of the stream and it was when I was close to the edge of the stream and i was able to hit my 7w to the back of the green. I'm probably looking at a 4w to try for the green, so that's out of the question. I stay with my 5i and lay up left of the green. I hit another high draw that drops out of the sky, 141 yards. The flag is back right and it's about 90 yards. I hit my PW and it slides under the ball like a pitch. It goes 79 yards and barely lands on the green I'm 59 feet from the hole and have to go up a tier. I hit my putt and it stops two feet short. I then lip out high and three putt for a double bogey 7.

So a 46/49 95 with not a good day ball striking and some rough patches on the back with my putting. I still feel good about the new putting routine and am confident with it. I paid the price on holes with tricky greens where I started 37+ feet out. I did one putt from 6 and 9 feet which was good. I feel like it's mostly full swing that's holding me back the most. Chipping isn't perfect but it's workable and my partial wedges are also good enough to get the job done.

Have a good one.

• Like 1

I hope all is well with everyone. On the non-golf from my MiL moved in with us yesterday. I think we're past the crisis stage but I expect it may take a long while for things to settle down.

I went to the range for about 45 minutes, maybe a bit less, this afternoon. I warmed up with pitches using the niblick and that went very well. Nice high shots like I expect with solid contact. I then went to my 9i. Good contact and high shots, a number of them being fades. Distance seemed off but I think that was the range balls.

I then went to my 6i and the wheels fell off the bus. Tops, fats, and the very fun shank reappeared. It was not good. A couple good shots here and there but ugly.... I grabbed my 7w and shanked one of those right away. I was getting ready to hit another one when some guy on the range told me to shallow the club and then proceeds to give me a 5 minute mini lesson.

His diagnosis was I'm swinging with my hands and flipping the club. I need to start the downswing with my right hip to clear it and give me room. Also need to rotate through and let the big muscles of my core drive things. He mentioned I should look up George Gankas as he was leaving. I have seen that name quite a bit here and let him know I've heard of him before. Wonder if the guy was a WRXer?

I did what he told me using my 8i and it was interesting. The first were dodgy but it got better. I went to using half swings to just simplify things and I found I was getting the club down better. Divots closer to the ball. I can't tell if I was hitting the ball first or not. It wasn't fat like 20 minutes prior and I heard the click of solid contact.

Now, I'm leery of the situation overall since I have no idea who this guy is but what he said made sense to me based off what I've learnt over the years. I'll look up Gankas just to learn more.

I decided on the drive home to get a lesson. The recommended pro is booked solid, but I heard back from the guy he's sending his overflow to. I have a lesson next Friday, 7/24, for an hour. I told him, via text, that I used to be a 19, quit for years and am now a 26. I have no idea how things will go but I think it's time someone looks at my swing. I'm past the point of knocking off rust. Hopefully it helps.

• Like 1

@Bortass, I think the guy pointed you in a good direction. I also agree that you're now at the point where you're ready to work with someone who can enhance your strengths and help you begin to eliminate the elements that are hurting your swing. I'm looking forward to hearing how the process goes for you.

Congrats on getting things more settled with the family matters.

@Twin2L Thanks, it's a rollercoaster both on and off the course.

I rode a quick 9 today, took about 80 minutes including waiting on a 4 some for part of a hole and then they waved me through. I played my normal forward tees Temps in the mid - high 80s and humid, sunny and no real breeze. I would have walked but feel like I need to minimize my time away from the house. I warmed up with the orange whip which is normal when I don't hit the range first. I also tried my best to do what the 'mystery ranch coach' recommended...

1 - longer straight par 4, I hit driver and it's a decent mid height draw that goes 22 yards into the middle of the fairway, a touch on the right side. I'm showing 155ish to center and flag is back left. I hit my 4i and it's a decent height push fade that misses the green right. The ball went 149 yards and is right against the base of a tree. I can get a club on it by going parallel with the trunk but no real back swing. I also can't go at the flag at all since the ball is on the green side of the tree. I hack my ball with my niblick and I get it into the rough at least. I have the entire green to work with and chip with the niblick. I don't swing hard and get the ball on the green 56 feet short of the hole. I am putting over the spine in the ridge and leave my putt 6 feet short and low... My next putt hits the center of the cup for a double bogey 6.

2 - par 3, flag is back right behind the right bunker. I aim a bit left with my 7i because of my push/fade miss and it's a high shot, 127 yards, that lands on the green 17 feet from the flag. I'm short and a touch right and things will break left on me. I hit my putt and miss low. I'm 3 feet out and sink the par putt, 3.

So I offset the double with a par. I seem to have done that a few times lately.

3 - par 5 that curves right. I aim over the little spine i described in my previous round description and hit driver. I use my hips and it's a solid high fade around the corner, 215 yards in the fairway on the right . This shortened the hole and I'm about 210 from center and the flag is on the left, so I have an okay angle at it. I take my 4w and top it 71 yards. Ball was too far forward i think since it's the top where the leading edge hits the back of the ball on the upswing and puts a lot of forward spin on it. I'm not 150ish out and hit my 5i. It's a high weak push fade off the toe, 113 yards. My ball is on a slope well right of the green in the rough. I have to carry a bunker and the slope will deloft my club. I try to pitch with my niblick and it comes out low as expected and hits the back lip of the bunker and rolls back into it...crap. We had decent T-storms last evening and the bunker is hard pack. I use a square SW and barely get out. I decide to chip with my SW instead of walking back to my cart for the niblick. The ball comes out nicely and stops 3 inches from the cup. So I have a 1 putt double bogey 7.

Not what I wanted at all. #3 has been a challenge for me lately it seems.

4 - shorter par 4, I tee off with 5i and clear my hips on the downswing. It's a very high draw that goes 150 yards and lands in the center of the fairway. The flag is back and near the midline of the green. It's 150ish to the back and I hit my 6i. Again clearing my hips and it's a high draw that lands on the green, right of the pin and releases left. I get to the green and my ball is almost directly below the cup, 9 feet short. I expect the putt to break left. I hit my birdie putt and it break just before the hole and the ball stops a foot out on the left side. I get my par, 4, and head to 5.

5 - par 5, curves right and there's some streams to deal with on either the left side, landing area, or right side, most of the rest of the fairway. I hit my 5i and it's another high draw that lands on the slope that's to the right of the fairway and my ball kicks left, just across the cart path. I'm in the right rough and I don't like my angle to hit a 7w for my second shot. A push and it's in the stream. I hit my 4i instead and it's a slightly mishit high fade around the corner that goes 149 yards. I'm now in the fairway towards the right. The flag looks to be back left and there's a tier in this green with the flag being on the upper level. I decide to go for the back and hit my 7i. My shot is a high one, can't recall if a draw or fade, that is a touch right of the flag and long, 134 yards. I'm in the back fringe and use my putter to chip. This green is squirrely..I can easily roll down the tier that's just past the hole and end up 20 feet out. I expect there to be a fair amount of break and hit my chip. It breaks well short of the hole and barely stops before rolling down the tier. I'm 6 feet from the cup, not a great effort on a not so easy shot. I hit my par putt and it tracks at the hole, reaches that little raised area at the cup and breaks left and stops inside 3 inches. A bit more pace and I had it. I tap in my bogey putt, 6.

I'm okay with this. Bogey is decent and I hit 3 good irons to be over the green in 3.

6 - par 4, slight curve left, houses and OoB right and trees left. My shoulders are not naturally square with my hips. They are closed, my left hand rests in front of my left thigh and my right hand is on the side of the right one. I noticed this while playing over a decade ago. No idea why but I mostly forget to take it into account. I square my shoulder to my hips this time and hit driver. It's a strong pull that flies over the left fairway bunker and it's gonna be gone in the trees unless I get extremely lucky since the slope on that line is steep and into the trees. There's no sign of my ball. I drop 180 yards off the tee and tack on 2 penalty strokes. Not quite correct by the rules but I'm alone and can't post anything. The ball is on the slope that goes into the tree which is rough and it's above my feet by at least a foot, maybe a touch more. The flag is left and I'm about 115 or so from center. The ball will go left on me, so I aim a touch right. I make decent contact and it's a low draw that lands on the green, so I'm happy. I get up there and my ball is 8 feet below the cup, almost dead on. I hit my putt and it breaks a bit before the hole and stops pin high 3-4 inches out. I tap in for my double bogey(par if I didn't lose a ball) 6.

That tee shot had 'crap' written all over it. A 2 shot penalty is tough to overcome and the double isn't good but in the circumstances, I am fine with it.

7 - par 4, dogleg right, elevated tee shot with a fairway that slopes down and left all the way to about the 100 yard marker, maybe a bit more. I hit driver and clear my hips again. It's a very high fade that is just launched down the right side. My ball is in the flat part of the fairway, 257 yards off the tee! I smoked that one. Lol, funny that I get excited by a tee shot that is well short of what some of the guys here hit it. The flag looks to be back right, so I don't have a bunker to deal with. It's almost 100 yards to the back, so I hit my PW. It's a high push that goes 96 yards and misses the green right and pin high. It looks like if I land my chip on the fringe near the green, about halfway to the hole, it should roll out to the cup. I take my niblick and my chip lands in the fringe and rolls towards the hole and stops a foot out on the high side. I get my up and down par, 4, and head for 8.

I had caught the foursome in front of me on #7. They tee off on 8 and then wave me forward.

8 - par 3, elevated tee shot. Tthe flag is back, so 7i. I make solid contact and it's a high push draw that lands in the right bunker, 154 yards, all carry. I think the ball bounced back less than a foot after it hit the firm sand. I get in the bunker and it's very firm from the storm. I use a square SW and don't hit it quite hard enough. the ball pops up and lands in the fringe and rolls on leaving me a good 18 feet short of the hole. I take my time and hit my putt. i miss high and the ball rolls 5 feet long.. Oh no! The foursome are watching me and I sink the bogey putt, 4.

9 - par 4, water left and fronting the green. I tee off with my 5i and hit a high weak fade off the toe, 126 yards, over the cart path and into the rough on #1. There are a bunch of geese hanging out where my ball landed and they didn't care in the least. I get most to move by waving an iron and have to toss a pine cone at the lazy one that was just sitting on the turf next to my ball. That get's it to move. I have no shot at the green that I am comfortable with. I have to layup and also not hit it in the pond. I take my 9i and hit a partial punched shot that come sout nicley, lands on the cart path and kicks into the correct fairway, 91 yards. I'm now middle left of the right fairway and the flag is front left, so I have a pond to deal with. GPS says I'm roughly 95 to where the hole is. I take my PW and hit a high fade off the toe, 84 yards, and on the right side of the green. I'm 39 feet right of the flag and have to putt over a spine. I hit my putt and it breaks much sooner than I expected and I watch my ball roll 7 feet below the hole. Crap! Not good at all. I hit my 7 footer and watch as it drops in the cup, bogey 5.

So a 45 with a OoB/lost ball. I had two really good chips that put the ball inside a foot. I also made second putts of 5, 6, and 7 feet to save my butt. My ball flight changed a bit with the clearing the hip from my 'mystery range coach'. I was hitting the ball high like I should with my irons. Distances were good too and no low thin shots. I had a few mishit irons but overall they seemed decent to me. Tee shots were also mostly good and I'll have to figure out how to hit my woods off the deck again. I used to be solid with that shot but not now.

3 pars, 3 bogeys, and 3 doubles. 4/7 fairways hit and 2/9 GIR with 16 putts. I am happy with the round. I doubt I can play again before Saturday but hopefully I can hit the range tomorrow.

Have a good one.
  • Like 1

One month update time. The last was on 6/10. I'll give a synopsis and leave the numbers below in case any one is curious. If you look at the numbers there seems to be rounding errors in spots where the total change both + and - do not equal zero.

This is all based on my last 10 rounds which were 6/9 - 7/16. So one round is in both this month and the previous month's update. Also have my two week 'layoff' where i didn't swing a club during this time frame.

My overall game is still improving which is good. Driving is going south on me but I think that's because of the occasional top/popup and the shots into crap where I have to take a drop. Overall I feel like my driving is better and that's borne out by increase in my average drive distance. It's still short but I can't complain.

Approaches are better. Part of this will be because of partial wedges since they fall into this category if it's over 50 yards. I am also getting a few more GIR. I think my woods off the deck are a possible reason that this area hasn't improved as much. I am struggling with them lately.

Chipping, is better but I think that's mostly from not mishitting it much. Pitches under 50 yards are in this category as well and those have been working out for the most part. I sometimes have a real good chip like I did twice yesterday but the odds are I'm gonna leave the ball way short.

Sand is better since I figured out how to get out of the firm sand at my home course. A square face really helps. I have left the ball in the bunker a few times but it's becoming more rare. Distance control needs work but I have hit some very good sand shots.

Putting has improved a lot. The new routine is really helping. I feel very confident that I can two putt from anyplace on the green. I know the longer the first putt the more dicey it gets, so I should avoid those 50 footers. I wish fixing my swing was this easy....

Arccos handicaps for my last 10 rounds:

Overall, this is what Arccos thinks I play like based on all of the individual areas and it uses strokes gained: 23.0 (-2.5) 

Driving: 28.8 (+4.0),Ouch, struggles off the tee are real.

Approach: 25.7 (-1.9) Approaches are improving and the couple of times I have gotten an approach close to the hole is probably helping.

Chipping:  14.8 (-1.8) I'm not making as many mistakes in this area with skulls or completely dubbed shots. Distance control is an issue though.

Sand: 12.2 (-8.9) A big improvement here. Playing the course with the good bunkers helped since explosion shots work good there. I also made the change to a square face for the firm sand of my home course. It's not perfect but I feel confident in a bunker again.

Putting 16.2 (-9.9) The new routine is making a big difference

My overall dashboard based on last 10 rounds has:

Average Score:

par 3: 4.2 no change

par 4: 5.7 (-.2)

par 5: 6.9 no change

Scoring breakdown:

eagles:0.1 (-0.1) This will go down since I have 1 in my life.

birdies: 1.3% (-.2)

pars: 16.8% (+1.5)

bogeys: 32% (+.7)

double+: 49.8% (-1.9)

Driving Range, this is what Arccos says I can expect on a normal, non mishit shot:184(-4) - 230(+1) average is 212(+6) 

Driving accuracy, looks like there's a rounding error someplace:

Center 59.8% (+.4)

Left: 16.9% (+.2)

Right: 23.3% (-.5)

Approach, this is all shots outside of 50 yards except for tee shots. So needs to be taken with a grain of salt since a shot from 250 on a par 5 is counted in this:

GIR: 19.4% (+.9) Irons and partial wedges are getting better.

Left: 7.6% no change

Right: 13% (+.7)

Short: 54.6% (-1.4)

Long: 5.6 no change

I am counting down the days to my lesson. Saturday's round was a kick in the teeth. It was an embarrassment. Nothing went well. I had good shots in all aspects of my game but they were sporadic and things didn't click. Here's a microcosm of my round. I hit a pull mishit with my driver/woods 9 times. I hit a solid drive on #18 into the fairway on the right and decide to hit my 4w across the stream to the wide open area left of the pond. I hit a high push fade that lands left of the pond and rolls in....

I don't know what will come of the lesson. It'll be my first in 8 years. I'll see how it goes. Part of me has been avoiding lessons because I had a great relationship with the pro I worked with in Maine. Being a small course he was the only pro on staff and I saw him almost every day that I played. So we'd BS and talk golf. He loved teaching and I saw the results as we changed my instaslice to a repeatable draw. That's a high water mark that I don't think I'll be able to replicate here.

I scheduled a 1 hour lesson to give us plenty of time to talk so he knows my background etc. I'd like to avoid a swing rebuilding. I had a decent one and hopefully it can be found again. I will do my best to be open and receptive and truly am looking forward to it. I wish I could have scheduled it sooner.

I am also going to be changing the tees I play. Currently I'm on 5484 yards, 67.3/121. I plan to move back one set to the whites, 5963, 68.9/126. I am hitting the ball better, regardless of what happened Saturday. When I started this I was using my 6i for 120 yard shots, it's now my 140 club. Also I am able to use my driver off the tee now as well. The length difference is focused a few holes for the most part. The main driver for this is the Saturday game, they play mixed tees with no adjustments. There's also no rules, unlike my old course in Maine, about who can play forward. So I've been playing forward with the older guys which were also the tees I'd been playing normally. I'm not getting any push back that I need to move back yet but I think it's time. Don't need to start hearing any complaints, lol.

• Like 1

I saw what I thought was an interesting video in the "Greatest Video ....on early extension" thread, https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1841676/greatest-video-i-have-ever-seen-on-early-extension .

What caught my eye has nothing to do with my swing per se because I have no clue what my issues are. Friday will hopefully shed light on those. What I liked is how they show the movements of the AM and how a Pro moves using the computer model from the sensors that are being worn. Add in the commentary and I felt like I learnt something about how the hips can move better. I'm in the camp that there's more than one way to swing a golf club well but there are also more efficient ways.

I think I'm going to go through some of the other videos on this channel just for my own knowledge. I thought I'd just share, in case, any of you hadn't seen this channel before and might find it interesting.

72 hours til my lesson!

Have a good one.

• Like 1

Enjoy your lesson and work hard at what you hear after it. Have him get some video on you if he can do it.

Also, tell him what your goals are and consider after the lesson if there is potential for a long-term relationship between you. If you don't think it will work try someone else.

Have fun and keep improving!

• Like 1

@jkumpire I plan to. I've been waiting all week for this. I was rereading part of my trying to break 90 thread and a couple things popped out at me. The biggest was my active focus on getting better. All the lessons and working on specific things. So far my improvement has just been me messing around with some of the flaws in my game that I know about like sand shots and putting, along with just playing which knocks off the rust and creates improvement via experience. I always knew what the current issue with my swing was that we, my pro and I, were working on until it was time to tackle the next one.

Something else I noticed is what I wrote about my distances. July of 2010, I comment about my 5i being my 150 club and my driver averaging 170. I was working with a Pure ball Striker, which you can't get anymore, and a 56* Tour Striker at the time. I started to compress the ball and got to the point where my PW became my 120 club. Compared to today, 5i is my 150 club, PW is 95ish, and driver is averaging 226. I have changed irons and driver since then, so that would account for some of it, especially driver.

Irons would be the biggest equipment change since I went from R flex MacGregor M565 which are GI irons to stiff MacGregor Pro M blades. I have both sets of irons and am currently playing the blades. When I got the blades and started gaming them in 2011/12 I noticed no change in my distances or scores. In case you're wondering, the driver, 4w and 7w I have been using this entire time are all stiff.
M565
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/OLL6XXHBNG8S/m565.jpg[/img]
Pro M
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/XAQUI9UBP71P/iron.jpg[/img]
The real difference is contact. Back then, when I was working on stuff, I made more solid contact than I do now. I talked about compression, which is rare these days for me to mention. When I hit a ball properly and it makes that special sound as it takes off and just goes with the correct ball flight. I'm not talking the blade that goes an extra 30 yards because it won't stop until it hits something, lol.

Toe hits on blades are murder but I don't think that's the main reason why I may have lost 20 yards in my irons. I think the biggest thing I lost was my ability to make solid contact most of the time. When I started this thread I was playing with the M565s and had the 120 yard 6i. I switched to the blades again in January, 120 6i with those too, when I started to use Arccos and those are the only irons I have used since. My 6i is now up to 140 but should be closer to 160 IF I regain my old form. I would not be shocked if my swing is flippy again. I still have the Tour Striker and I tried it at the range yesterday and sure enough, low shots. Time will tell. Perhaps with lessons and work I can get some of my distance back. It'll be interesting to hear what is uncovered at my lesson tomorrow.

On the non-golf front, I may have spoken too soon. The situation is worse than we had been led to believe. So golf is going to be in the backseat. It'll all work out in the end, it always does one way or another.

Bortass have a great time with your lesson. For that time you get to just be a golfer. Everything else will be ready for you to pick it up when you're done.

Wishing you moments of golfing joy.

• Like 1

Thanks @Twin2L. I have it easy compared to my wife.

I survived the lesson, it was 60 minutes and we did quite a bit. I hit a lot of balls and feel it in my lower back, lol. My teacher was a younger guy, +5 index. I warmed up before he arrived with my orange whip and by hitting pitches with the niblick and a few full swings. I gave him my background and his question was did I want to hit draws or fades. I told him draws since that is what I had worked towards back in the day. I explained my common mishits as well.

He did not try to do anything like rebuild my swing. Part way through the lesson he made the comment that he can tell I've had lessons. So my swing isn't junk :) I think this is one reason why we covered so many different things. They are all tweaks/adjustments to what I'm already doing. I doubt this approach would work for someone that didn't already have a decent baseline unless they picked things up very quickly. For the record, it's a struggle for me to do everything we covered. I'm okay with this because now I have a laundry list of things to work on. I do not need to work on all of them at once, and some will be easier than others. Of course I eventually need to incorporate everything we covered but I am a realist. It will not happen overnight and I will have bumps in the road on the course.

Oh side note, his first comment was "I see you're using blades". I explained how I never noticed a big difference when I first made the change in 2012. I know they are harder to hit and that's one reason I like playing them. I told him I started to use them earlier this year because I wanted too, lol. He thinks, and I have no reason to doubt, that some of my mishits would be fine shots with my M565s. I'm just being contrarian I guess. It's an ego thing, lol.

Back to the important things. We started with my hitting my 8i. First thing he noticed right away is my aim is off. I am aiming more right than I think. I'll have to get some driveway markers to help with my alignment.

The next thing was I'm not getting the club far enough behind me. He dropped an alignment stick at an angle behind me and wanted me to trace that line with my backswing. What that really meant isn't so much tracing it but getting my left arm pointing more to the right at the end of my back swing. This is gonna take some work. To get there I have to rotate back more and I feel a stretch in my left side.

Then we got to my flip. He took some video with his phone and is supposed to be sending it to me. He showed me the flip and to help combat that he wants my hands forward more at address. This is how my old swing was and I recently had changed it. So I'll just revert back to my old form with this one.

He had me strengthen my grip a touch. My old pro had me weaken my grip some once I started to hook the ball years ago. The change today was pretty small and shouldn't be hard for me to get in the habit of. I seem to be able to make grip changes fairly easily.

I think this is where the reverse motorcycle came up aka bowing the left wrist at the start of the downswing. I am familiar with this only because I watched a video about it yesterday.

Clearing my hips was next. He noticed that I slide forward instead of rotate. This ties into the EE video I posted above and even what the 'mystery range pro' told me last week.

Then it was driver time! Oh boy.... So all of the above and add in changing how I place the driver behind the ball a little bit. I tend to address it more off the heel of my driver, so he had me shift it a tiny bit to be more inline with the center of the club. We also played around with tee height a bit and settled on a lower tee height.

After hitting a number of balls with driver, we went back to my 8i. The last change he made was moving my ball position back, closer to center.

So during this entire process I'm hitting balls, either 8i or driver, and getting feedback based on what I see the ball do, what likely caused it. He explained the mishits I should expect to see as well. The two biggest issues are my aiming too far right and not getting the club/left arm behind me enough. We started with both of those and it kept coming up as we progressed through other things.

So how did I hit it? Better but it's not a magic bullet. I hit some wonderful irons and driver shots. High draws with both. A few of the iron shots I hit pure. It felt sooo good! Awesome ball flight and that feeling of nothing that you get with a well struck blade. My iron mishits were much improved with the changes. The thin shots were lower draws much closer to my target line, not the pushes that miss well right. The driver is harder to say since I don't have as much feedback at impact like with the blades. My well struck shots were great and misses were improved but the dispersion is worse with driver versus 8i. That's a bit of a given. He thinks I can gain 20 - 30 yards with my driver as well.

I said it's not a magic bullet because I have my work cut out for me. There's a lot of changes and when I do them all, the results are great. I am not expecting this to happen overnight. A couple of the changes like hands forward and slightly stronger grip will be easy to start doing w/o a bunch of thought. The rest of it will take work and I expect erratic results on the course for a bit as I try to process everything. I am hoping my normal "just swing the club' mindset when playing a round hold. I really try not to think about my lessons and the mechanical changes when on the course. My experience is bad things tend to happen. I'm better off leaving all the swing thoughts to my range sessions and keeping my mind as clear as possible when playing. Hopefully that makes sense.

I will try to work on this stuff during my pre-round warm up tomorrow. I'll be playing 18 and I expect to play off the white tees. This will help head off any complaints about me playing with forward with the older guys.

Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

It seems you have found a good pro. I especially like that he's helping you adjust your swing rather than trying to get you to learn a completely new swing.

Alignment, minor grip adjustment and a change in the backswing are all very doable. Often a tune up and new tires have more value and greater return than buying a new car.

Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy your round. Remember the basics, the course is for playing golf. The range has time for playing golf swing.

• Like 1

@Twin2L I agree about the range being for golf swing but that's easier said than done at times.
@berndgeurts I followed your pattern for the round, lol.

Saturdays round was a disaster and while it was related to the lesson, the root cause is I'm an idiot . I lost 4 tee shots into the right trees, push fades and push slices, including on a par 3. I'm supposed to move my right foot forward because of my alignment issue and I was moving it back. I caught my mistake on #18 and hit a true fade with my driver for a change. I carded a 104 from the white tees with 8 penalty strokes and I picked up on two holes. I started off okay with two bogeys then a quad on #3, followed by a double, bogey, double, double, X... There was a quad X and two triples on the back. All aspects struggled, even my putting. So I won't do a hole by hole run down. I'm not sure there is much to learn there. I don't think playing the whites had a big impact on my score either.

#4 shorter par 4, card says it's 10 yards longer than the teals. I teed off with my 4i and hit a great draw 168 yards into the fairway. The rest of the hole was a mess... double.

#5 par 5, 62 yards longer on the card. I teed off with 4w and hit an okay shot 172. I followed up with a 4i because i didn't have a good angle and hit another good draw with it 163 yards. I muddled around, including a topped 7w but got a bogey.

#9 par 4 with the pond, 57 yards longer. The white tee box is elevated by less than two yards. I hit my 4w down the right side 218 yards. I'm dealing with the trees on the right. I'm 150 out but can't hit a normal shot because i'll probably go through the branches of the mature pine that's in my line. My round isn't going to be a good one so I decide to hit the shot that will reach the green. I have to carry a corner of the pond and keep the ball low enough to go under the pine tree's branches. I punch a partial 5i and it is a nice low draw that lands on the green and just rolls off the back by the flag. I chip with my putter to 3 feet and secure a rare par on this hole.

#10 par 4, 6 yards longer. I hit a great 4w, elevated tee, 216 into the fairway and then pulled my 6i into the left trees. I found the ball but ended up with a double.

#11 par 4, with a stream carry by the green, dogleg left. This one is 61 yards longer on the card. 4w off the elevated tee is a pop up down the right side into the right rough at the corner, so I made this hole as long as possible. I'm 170 from center and have to carry a stream. The stream and green are below me though. I go with my logic on #9. It's a bad round might as well try to hit the shot. I take my 7w and hit a great draw 175 yards onto the green. I'm 33 feet past the flag and 4 putt for a double bogey.

#18 par 5 that's 10 yards longer on the card. I finally move my right foot forward instead of back and hit a high true fade with my driver. The ball started a fair amount left and curved back to center, lands in the middle of the fairway and rolls forward and right some. My fades are almost always push fades, which is why this was nice to see. I'm 211 off the tee, it's a slightly elevated shot into the wind and the ball didn't run a long ways. I have two options, I can layup short of the stream and try for the green in 4 or try to carry the stream and have a shot at the green in 3. I go for it and hit a great draw with my 4w, 187 yards across the stream. I screw up my 9i approach, chip on and two putt for a bogey 6. I consider this hole to be a par 6 since I tend to lay up short of the stream and am trying to hit the green in 4 to avoid dealing with the pond.

The round was a dog but I'm still happy with some of what I saw. 2 pars, 6 bogeys, and 10 double+. My alignment mix up hurt since I had issues off the tee. I did good with the grip change, as I expected. I tried to get my back swing back more and clear my hips but didn't get a mental vapor lock about it. It happened sometimes and others it didn't. I did not have the weak push fade miss as much with my irons. I was pleased with the 4i shots. They were solid draws and it's the longest iron I carry.

I bought some driveway markers yesterday to help me work on my alignment. I am hoping to get to the range a couple of times this week to work on things from my lesson. I'm glad I wrote what we covered here, so I will have a handy reminder of things. I'd also like to get 9 in. I'll be playing 18 Saturday at the sister course. The GM of the courses is making the large Saturday groups rotate through the courses now. Three groups of players are taking all of the morning tee times on Saturdays. So we'll play home course for two weeks, then each of the courses at the sister club the next two. So it'll be a nice change of pace to play three courses in a rotation like this. I know some of the guys aren't happy about it but I'm fine with it.

Cheers

PS for the record I miss the old emojis from 2008-2013. They looked so much better, lol.

I made it to the range today for about 45 minutes or so. I loosened up with the orange whip and some pitches. I then started to hit my 9i and work on things. I stayed with 9i the entire session except for maybe 10 driver shots towards the end. It was a mixed bag, as expected. He gave me a fair number of changes to make. I did use driveway markers to work on my alignment the entire time. I'll probably start calling them alignment sticks even though they aren't. I had more good shots than bad including a number of very solid irons. My driver was also more well behaved. I already think I'm hitting the ball better than I was pre-lesson.

Grip: I feel like this change is getting pretty well ingrained. I've always been pretty quick with grip changes in the past.

Alignment: I felt like I'm getting better with this. I did check to make sure both feet were the same distance from the stick on every shot.

Hands forward: An easy one since this was my normal swing until recently.

Left arm aimed more right at the end of my back swing: I wish I knew the correct name for this. It's not natural at all and will take a fair amount of work IMO. It takes a bigger turn for me to do.

Bowed left wrist at start of downswing: This is also going to take some work. It's interesting because when I do it, I seem to get better contact. This move is more variable he said based on the direct of my ball flight.

Clearing hips: Another one that will take work. This may be an easier mechanical change since I watched that EE video posted previously. So I have been trying to get this working for a few weeks.

It feels good to have a list of things to work on that aren't just my own guesses.

Have a good one.

Sounds like a good day with a club in your hand. Very good that you're already seeing improvement after the lesson.

• Like 1

Very surprised to read that you're using stiff-shafted irons. With the greatest possible respect, at your handicap level you need the most forgiving equipment you can find - stiff shafted irons are only for the low handicappers. I'll bet your pro would say the same if you asked him, even though he doesn't want to piss off his new customer by saying so right off the bat....It's not a question of distance, but of quality of strike - and yours is simply not consistent enough. I would also recommend you think seriously about some hybrids to replace the longer and middle irons - they're just so much easier to hit and way more forgiving. Why you've moved back a set of tees without showing any obvious signs of improvement from the forward tees is also baffling to me.

The last thing I want is to discourage you, kudos for having the moxy to post your experiences, but you need a strong dose of healthy realism about your game if you're going to improve. Golf is tough enough without handicapping yourself even more !

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24