What is the windiest round of golf you've ever had?

mustang6298

Emporda in Catalonia. 36 excellent holes if you are in the area. Played in 2003. Early April. Strong winds come off the Pyrennes. Strong as in 50-60 mph. 160 par 3 was a flat out 3 wood. Drove into greenside bunker on a 400 yard par 4. Balls blown off the greens. Best score was 22 points stableford and the group handicaps were no higher than five.

In the UK an inter club match at Silloth on Solway. Classic old style links. 3 wood off an upslope. Nailed it.....and watched the wind blow it backwards. We paced it at 65 yards. On same day 430 yard 18th was 3 wood and pitching wedge. Brutal but fun.

High school tournament in the Texas panhandle. The ball would not stay on the domed greens so they implemented a rule to mark it when you got to it. Would literally hit a shot to a green and run after it to try and mark it before it blew off and then go back to get your bag that you left behind.

• Like 1

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

I have played lots of rounds at my brothers course in Ireland - Ballyliffin GC on the NW coast - What they call "a bit of breeze" for me is a four club wind! - If you try to play when it's raining, you are drenched after a couple of holes - The Par 3 7th hole on Glashedy course sums up the wind nicely - Playing off the medal tees (@ 160y) I have hit a SW onto the green with the wind behind (tee is seriously elevated) but also hit driver (flat out) onto front edge!

Not surprisingly the worst wind I experience was at Ballyliffin - I took my son & two pals from work over on a midweek break - It was the scariest landing I have ever experienced! - Really didn't think we would make it alive - From the airport in Derry, you have to cross the river Foyle Bridge - When the wind gusts over 70mph they close the bridge - They closed the bridge 10 minutes after we crossed it! - As our golf was booked on a deal with the local hotel, we had to play, but it was so windy you had to angle the tee into the wind to stop the ball from blowing off - Balls were also blowing off the greens - We played four holes before we were hit by a hailstorm! - We abandoned the round & luckily were given credit to play on another day ...

Pic of the Par 3 mentioned above ... Paul

DU6QF5EYSPIM.jpg

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

After reading through this thread I now realize that I just thought I had played on windy days. I am quite fortunate to live in NC where the wind is not a big factor in golf. Some of the stuff I have read in this thread is incredible.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

I played a round in my state am once where the wind was incredible. It would blow over your stand bag, so you had to lay the bag on the ground. You had to be really careful on the greens because the balls were oscillating like crazy. The course played increibly long, because it was 2-4 clubs into the wind, and downwind your ball would just be slapped out of the sky unless you were hitting short irons. You couldn't keep a cap on your head. It was wild. Scores were really high, but it was kinda fun too.

Mine is fairly recent... Barnbougle dunes (Dunes course) In Tasmania. We got off the plane in Launceston in the morning and it was roaring, and we realised that we weren't even close to the coast yet nor was it the windies part of the day.... We rolled into barnbougle and the weather reading was 70+kph (40-45mph) winds with gusts in the 90s(!!) (55mph) which was before we even teed off!! I remember the boys who took a pull cart regretted it immensely because they simply got blown over and pushed back up the fairway every time they left them unattended, so I'm glad i carried that day. Distinct memories of the 4th hole, normally a driveable par 4 (in the 280yd range) and i hit a full driver and a 7 iron (Mind you the 7 iron was from 70m). Then the 6th hole, a 420yd par 4, i drove it onto the front fringe. Tom Doak's "Little Devil" 7th Hole claimed the lives of all 7 other members of our group, I will proudly boast that i made a 2 and was the only one to finish the hole as balls would not stay on the green and luckily mine got stuck in its own pitch mark about 1 foot from the hole.... Other memories include getting sandblasted by sand getting blown off the beach over the dunes and into my face! and hitting a drive on the 14th hole which we calculated travelled close to 420m by the time it stopped.... Absolute madness and sign me up for it a thousand times over. A lot of people complain about crazy golf like that but i honestly could not have had more fun

The worst wind I have played in was also the worst weather. The wind was a constant 25mph and gusting up to 40+, the temperature dropped down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit and it was sleeting. My hands were numb and blue even with winter gloves on after 9 holes. Most of the teams in the league opted out of play that day, but we marched on as we were in first at the time and did not want to relinquish the slight lead we had. Oddly enough I did't shoot much worse than usual...lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had a high school JV tournament in Wyoming where the wind was blowing the ball off a green into the bunker. I ended up holing out my bunker shot for a 6, everyone else in my group hit 10 and then we just moved on. The coaches watched about 4 groups play that hole and then just canceled the 2nd day and used the results for the first day as the final total. An absolutely miserable spring season tournament.

Edit: Fall season, forgot that we only had one day tournaments in the spring.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

While playing in Florida on a golf vacation, one of our rounds was at Royal St. Cloud. If you have never played this course you are missing a real treat. Briefly explained here:

The American-style links course of Royal St. Cloud Golf Club is a genuine playing experience…and a spectacular option to typical Orlando golf. Players will truly appreciate the authentic links features…from Redan and Cape Hole greens, rolling fairways to classic links bunkers including Hell, Spectacles, Feather, Devil’s Pocket, and Hoofprint. The course rewards sound play and inventive shot-making. With 4 sets of tees, players can choose the degree of challenge up to its demanding championship-length of 7,111 yards and 74.6 rating…all on flawless fairways and silky-smooth Tifeagle greens. Unlike any other choice for Orlando golf, this is a memorable blend of play where every hole has its own unique playing strategy - true to its link heritage, every club in the bag will be utilized… all of this with natural terrain changes and no houses, no gimmicks.

It has 27 holes and we signed up to play them all. The day was perfectly sunny with a steady 22 mph wind, gusting to 30 mph. A real challenge to one's golfing skills. I am a 15 capper that shot an 83 on the first 18 and was quite happy. I can't wait to play that course again sometime.

February on the Big Island. Made two pars at Mauna Kea. My father in law hits it max 210. Sometimes I'm 120 yards by him. He out drove me for the first time. The only thing the wind didn't touch were the 6 or so Mai Tais I ordered from the kindly cart lady. I basically lost my swing that day and I am still looking for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, my goodness! Anybody from the UK nows the last 2 days has been howling! This has beaten birkdale in 92 for me. Add the really dried out course and rock hard greens, felt like I was playing a us open. Brutal today, glad it was social golf. My course has back to back par 3s, both 210....played one down wind and hit a 7 iron big..... Hit a driver on the next and didn't reach.... Bonkers, by far the windiest I've ever played in. Glad I'm and done ha

• 4 weeks later...

Played a round at the worst course on earth (Simons Town in Cape Town, if you are ever there in an apocalypse and it’s the last golf club left on earth - go surf)

par 3 straight into the wind 195 yards I hit driver low piercing draw (usually carry 280 odd at coast) - short

next hole, par 4, 320 yards down wind this time. 4iron to 5 feet

insane round of golf.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 - Ventus TR Blue 6x
3 Wood - Stealth 2+ - Ventus TR Red 7x
5 wood - Paradym TD - Kai'li 80x
hyrid - 22* Ping G425 - Ventus Blue 10x
4i - PW - PX 0317 ST - KBS 130x
50-54-58 - Edel SMS Pro Wedges - S400 TI
LAB Mezz Armlock - LAGP

• 1 month later...

I live in Newfoundland so windy is pretty much standard. One of the worst days I played in was a few years ago for league night - it was windy, cold, and raining off and on. In the 9 holes I played 5 of the flagsticks had been blown out of the hole so our approach shots were blind. On the 9th hole I was pin high waiting for a guy who was about 80 yards out - he hit a shot that went up over the pin and then the wind blew it back at him and it landed 25 yards short. Never seen a ball do a u-turn from that angle before.

Also played Tour 18 in Dallas one time and there was a tornado warning for the morning and we tees off at noon. On the hole with The Pews the traps were actually still flooded from the morning storm and they had whitecaps

This one is easy. On October 3, 1979, a tornado came through Windsor and Windsor Locks, Ct. It left three dead, dozens injured and millions of dollars of damage. It destroyed many historic planes at the outdoor exhibit area of the New England Air Museum, then called the Bradley Air Museum. The tornado hit around 4:30 in the afternoon.

I was a first year teacher and a few colleagues and I decided to head from school a play nine holes. We arrived at the course around 3:00 with threatening skies. Their was a thunderstorm warning, but we were young and invincible. The course was empty and we zipped through the first 7-holes as the skies darkened and the wind “freshened”. On the 8th tee box, the wind began to howl. The hole was a 515 yard par 5 and the wind was at our back. I hit my tee ball long, high, and straight. I never saw the ball land. A tree behind our tee box was uprooted and we figured it was time to head for the clubhouse. We hunkered down in the clubhouse and watched in amazement as a tornado ripped through the course. Fortunately it cut a narrow path through the golf course and did not touch the clubhouse. More than 100 trees were lost on this golf course. If you GOOGLE the tornado that ravaged Connecticut in 1979, you can read the details.

The only memories I have of wind are on a 200 yard par 3. Played 185 that day. Wind was blowing directly in my face. I hit a smooth 5 iron that just ballooned straight up in the air and i swear started flying towards me before it landed 40 yards in front of the green. I hit the rest of the balls in my bag and never got within 20 yards of the green. Same hole two days later I hit a 5 iron from 200 almost 40 yards past the green with a small tailwind.