2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Overspeed Training is working!

Hondabuff

No doubt that it works and I have to get back on the program. Sold my SSR over the summer to pay for my Mevo but recently sold my Mevo to pay for my AP2's. I will have to bust out the old Bel Swingmate for the time being.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I'm finally getting around to posting my homemade version. I think it turned out really nice with the all black. What do you think?

A friend just asked me to make one for him so I'll probably be experimenting with another set soon.

Just about to build my first set. I understand the calibration weighs and drilling them, but how exactly did you connect the bottom of the shaft to the weight. Was it as simple as drilling and inserting with epoxy?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally getting around to posting my homemade version. I think it turned out really nice with the all black. What do you think?

A friend just asked me to make one for him so I'll probably be experimenting with another set soon.

Just about to build my first set. I understand the calibration weighs and drilling them, but how exactly did you connect the bottom of the shaft to the weight. Was it as simple as drilling and inserting with epoxy?

Yep, as long as you use the correct size drill bit, it's no different than connecting a head and a shaft. I even added ferrules to mine to clean up the look a little.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

My one year review of overspeed training !

I started overspeed on the 18-Feb-2017 which is exactly 1 year and 1 day as I write this comment.

(All measurements below are done on a trackman).

My driver swing speed has moved from 90-93mph to 100-105mph.

7 iron swing has increased from 75-80mph to 80-85mph.

All in all I am happy with the results and have certainly enjoyed the workouts.

One tip for those thinking about starting this is that make sure you stretch your back properly and invest some time with weights to strengthen your wrists as they do take a beating when swinging from your non-dominant side.

It will be interesting to see what the results are in one years time :nyam:

I started overspeed on the 18-Feb-2017 which is exactly 1 year and 1 day as I write this comment.

One tip for those thinking about starting this is that make sure you stretch your back properly and invest some time with weights to strengthen your wrists as they do take a beating when swinging from your non-dominant side.

Details please. Your one year in but what programs did you do and for how long. I’m not a year in yet but it’s been very hit and miss for me. I seldom got more than 2-4 session completed in a month and none in the winter although I did use them yesterday.

What weight drills are you doing to supplement?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Thanks for sharing your experience after a year, great motivation to see those kinds of gains. I'm curious if you can comment on your on course experience, have you seen any changes (positive/negative) to your game outside of swing speed?

The increase in speed/distance has put me closer to the greens when I hit it straight however I end up deeper in trouble when not. A well struck driver with dodgy aim before was probably 5 to 10 meters in the forest which gave me a chance at chipping it out. These days my wayward drives go so deep in the forest that it is not even worth looking for it.

One benifit from this training is that my back feels stronger so I do not get tired so easily even though age is starting to take its toll.

I have also noticed that I play a more agressive/offensive style of golf knowing that I have the distance to pull some shots off. It also means that some hazards which were not in play before are now within my reach so course management and strategy has become way more important. My range finder is going to ask for a salary increase soon :)

Also if I want close to full power on the first tee then streching is more important than hitting a quick bucket of balls on the range.

I can't say my handicap has been affected much, I still play off 11 which is probably a fair average for me over 18 holes however I did card quite a few 9 holes rounds late last summer which has some really silly low scores.

The next step for me is to invest in the short game. In all honesty I truly beleive that increase in speed/distance means nothing if you do not have a good short game to back it up. There is nothing more demoralisering than hitting 2 great shots on a long par 5 and screwing it all up with a thin bullet chip across the green.

Details please. Your one year in but what programs did you do and for how long. I’m not a year in yet but it’s been very hit and miss for me. I seldom got more than 2-4 session completed in a month and none in the winter although I did use them yesterday.

What weight drills are you doing to supplement?

I actually started by building my own set of sticks using 3 cheap stiff driver shafts, balance weights and a lot of gaffer tape.

Green = 255 grams

Blue = 285 grams

Red = 335 grams

About 6 months ago I scored the original speed sticks cheap so I moved over to those and my homemade versions are now used by a friend.

I measure with the red SSR.

I do my best to train 3 times a week. I achieve this about 80% of the time.

I always have at least 48 hours between training sessions.

Due to work/family commitments, sickness, laziness etc I probably miss one week every 6 weeks or so.

I did protocol 1 for approx 3 months. Then I alternated between protocol 1 and protocol 2 for about 6 months. I then went back to protocol 1 as I had to train inside (winter in Sweden is brutal) and the garage in my building had limited space with sufficient roof clearance. The minute I can train outside (in about 1 month or so) I will implement protocol 3 once a week.

If I feel any pains in my back I stop immediately. I learnt the hard way and carried on once and ended up with a stuffed back for 2 weeks.

I always strech properly before the session. It minimizes any back problems and give the best results on the SSR.

I also noticed that you need to give yourself several minutes for recovery in between reps otherwise you will be dissapointed with the SSR readings.

At the beginning I had pain in my wrists (felt like my wrists were about to dislocate). I got a great tip from Hondabuff (started this thread) to do wrist exercises. So a quick search on youtube and found this (

), bought some weights ( 1 and 2 kg dumbbells) and started working out my wrists and forearms every second day. Problems were gone after 2 month and never had any issues since. I have stopped doing these exercise but will start up again if my wrist problems return.

I stretch in between sessions, when watching tv etc ... The stretching I concentrate on is lower back and hamstrings. Here are the reference sites I used :

https://www.mayoclin...es/sls-20076248

https://www.thoughtc...stretch-1563409

http://www.jointesse...-back-injuries/

Swing speed with driver started in the lower 90s, moved to higher 90s rather quickly (within weeks). After approx 6 months I was regularly clocking 100. Now after 12 months 100-105 is the norm. These speeds are under playing conditions, in other words, on a tee hitting a ball with a fairway in front of me and sometimes using trackman when one is available to me.

I used to carry my driver on average about 200m now that average has increased to 220m. At this stage I will get better results by working on my smash factor and lowering spin than increasing speed.

My latest session was on the 18-Feb-2018 and resulted in the following figures :

Green = 126mph

Blue = 116mph

Red = 105mph.

My fastest swing with the green stick is 127mph, blue is 122mph and red is 114mph. Interesting side note is that I never hit my max on all three in one session. Truth be told if I hit max with one of my sticks then I can never hit max with the other 2 in that same session. Maybe I need more recovery time in that situation ...

Thanks for sharing your experience after a year, great motivation to see those kinds of gains. I'm curious if you can comment on your on course experience, have you seen any changes (positive/negative) to your game outside of swing speed?

The increase in speed/distance has put me closer to the greens when I hit it straight however I end up deeper in trouble when not. A well struck driver with dodgy aim before was probably 5 to 10 meters in the forest which gave me a chance at chipping it out. These days my wayward drives go so deep in the forest that it is not even worth looking for it.

One benifit from this training is that my back feels stronger so I do not get tired so easily even though age is starting to take its toll.

I have also noticed that I play a more agressive/offensive style of golf knowing that I have the distance to pull some shots off. It also means that some hazards which were not in play before are now within my reach so course management and strategy has become way more important. My range finder is going to ask for a salary increase soon :)

Also if I want close to full power on the first tee then streching is more important than hitting a quick bucket of balls on the range.

I can't say my handicap has been affected much, I still play off 11 which is probably a fair average for me over 18 holes however I did card quite a few 9 holes rounds late last summer which has some really silly low scores.

The next step for me is to invest in the short game. In all honesty I truly beleive that increase in speed/distance means nothing if you do not have a good short game to back it up. There is nothing more demoralisering than hitting 2 great shots on a long par 5 and screwing it all up with a thin bullet chip across the green.

Thanks for detailing what you're seeing on course! I'm about a month in and have definitely seen speed increase but have only been able to play once since I stated the training. Excited to take it to the course.

I'm glad you mentioned back strength as that was my number one hope to get out of this more than even speed. Sitting all day I love how this exercise makes my back feel.

Started this year off with just swinging the green light club and really focusing on proper spine angle by using this drill I saw on YT.

It seemed to flatten my swing out some and was just smashing the ball. A really flat trajectory with piercing ball flight.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

For anyone that interested I made my own set as well. I used whats called 3/4" carbon steel round bar stock. 12" cost about $9 here in Canada so prob 50 cents in the US. Driver shafts are .370 tip. I believe I used a 3/8" drill bit on my drill press. Cut them to 3", 4" and 5" . 3" drilled weighs about 150 , 4" right around 200 and 5" app. 250. and I golf shaft epoxied them in. Prior to that I was really going poorman version. Light club is 3 golf balls taped to a shaft. Medium was my driver and heavy is 6 balls and a bunch a clear hockey tape to hold them in place. Not quite as accurate but does the job. I am a long drive pro and have been competing for 20 yrs. Senior div now and besides weights ( lots of kettle bells) this is my main speed training. Have any questions let me now. I attached my numbers so far. I am happy after 3 days. I work out of town so didn't take them with me to train but will be back at it on Wednesday.

Kevin Blenkhorn

Most of the info on this thread show how people improve swing speed, using the weighted shafts, during the course of the program. However, I would be interested in hearing more about your before and after swing speeds with your driver on the course, or range. Have the gains you've achieved using the training clubs translated to your actual driver? Has it helped iron distance as well?

Also, what about your accuracy and/or mechanics?

• 2 years later...

My son's a 6' 175lb 26 year old. He has always been long. He and I have been powerlifting for 2 years now.

He went to the range just once in these two years. His 7i was going 210. We played a few days ago and he cranked one off the tee 366! I wonder, is swinging fast really the way to increased speed? Some argue, getting strong (upper body) is where it's at.

I am tempted to pull out my under and overweight sticks and look at my speeds with the SSR. My driver peak without a ball is 121. I guess my goal now is 130.