2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Swing weight factors in relation to parts

joey3108

Yes. Lead tape anywhere on the driver or woods can effect the sound, even a small amount. Some places will effect it more than others so try different locations to see how the sound might change.

As for feel and swing weight, eveyone has different sensitivities so you'll also need to experiment to see how much you might need to add to address any swing weight issues. So it's best done on the range where you can test out the feel and any effect on the ball flight. 1.5 gm - 2 gm increments tend to work the best for most.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, SCOTT4099 said:

Would lead tape on the sole of the driver effect the sound/feel? I am just thinking of adding one strip to get my swingweight up a little,thanks

I cut an old driver down 2 inches, stuck 12 inches on the under belly and the sound changed from your typical crack pop sound to a thud thuuush. It was not a pleasing feel, although the ball flight and distance was acceptable. It was in my head the entire round. 

Another SW question. Had a club champion fitting the other day. I didn’t know anything about SW until after the fitting when they showed me my specs. 

For background, I’m a 10-12 hcp, driver SS 97-100 range, smoother tempo. 6ft, 180, power comes from flexibility and not actually any brute strength..

Irons were fitted to D5, wedges to D6, driver to D8 and 3 wood to D9. However, when I showed this to a more knowledgeable friend, he indicated that this is incredibly high swing weight (which I agree based on what I’m seeing)   During the fitting we didn’t tinker with any different swing weights and the club champion adapter looked like it added significant weight. I regret not measuring the weight of my own clubs. 

Curious as to whether others agree that this seems a little high. I’m sure the answers will be variable but would love to hear from more knowledgeable people. 

1 hour ago, lefty787 said:

Another SW question. Had a club champion fitting the other day. I didn’t know anything about SW until after the fitting when they showed me my specs. 

For background, I’m a 10-12 hcp, driver SS 97-100 range, smoother tempo. 6ft, 180, power comes from flexibility and not actually any brute strength..

Irons were fitted to D5, wedges to D6, driver to D8 and 3 wood to D9. However, when I showed this to a more knowledgeable friend, he indicated that this is incredibly high swing weight (which I agree based on what I’m seeing)   During the fitting we didn’t tinker with any different swing weights and the club champion adapter looked like it added significant weight. I regret not measuring the weight of my own clubs. 

Curious as to whether others agree that this seems a little high. I’m sure the answers will be variable but would love to hear from more knowledgeable people. 

It may not be common but some people do fit into swing weight that high.  I'd say usually they are the stronger players or those that have more aggressive transitions but there are plenty of exceptions to that so that doesn't necessarily mean much about how good a fit it might be for you.

The big problem is that if you didn't test and compare the results of different head weights (swing weights), then you were NOT fit for that swing weight.   And to make things even worse, if you were only fit for the other club specs at that high swing weight, I wouldn't have much faith any any of the other fitting results either.   Head weight will effect what shaft weight might be a good fit, what playing length might work well or not, and even what shaft stiffness profile might be a good fit.  It can potentially effect the whole swing in a lot of different ways.

Edited by Stuart_G

3 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

It may not be common but some people do fit into swing weight that high.  I'd say usually they are the stronger players or those that have more aggressive transitions but there are plenty of exceptions to that so that doesn't necessarily mean much about how good a fit it might be for you.

The big problem is that if you didn't test and compare the results of different head weights (swing weights), then you were NOT fit for that swing weight.   And to make things even worse, if you were only fit for the other club specs at that high swing weight, I wouldn't have much faith any any of the other fitting results either.   Head weight will effect what shaft weight might be a good fit, what playing length might work well or not, and even what shaft stiffness profile might be a good fit.  It can potentially effect the whole swing in a lot of different ways.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. It definitely is concerning that I was pretty much fit only at one swing weight. 

Interestingly I weighed my current driver and 3 wood today and found that they were C9 and D0. So this raises even more eyebrows with my recommended specs. 

I think this is a big flaw with club champion that is hard to get past. The universal adapter they have for the clubs is a huge hunk of metal that I’m sure adds significant swing weight and people must always be fitted to clubs that are much heavier than what they normally use. But also, I figure they should have at least weighed my current clubs to establish a baseline. 

10 minutes ago, lefty787 said:

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. It definitely is concerning that I was pretty much fit only at one swing weight. 

Interestingly I weighed my current driver and 3 wood today and found that they were C9 and D0. So this raises even more eyebrows with my recommended specs. 

I think this is a big flaw with club champion that is hard to get past. The universal adapter they have for the clubs is a huge hunk of metal that I’m sure adds significant swing weight and people must always be fitted to clubs that are much heavier than what they normally use. But also, I figure they should have at least weighed my current clubs to establish a baseline. 

We cant transfer SW values, so there is no need to make any baselines for SW values, and most players aint fittet to play what they play anyway, but you might be right about those adapters or connectors, its strange that CC fittings comes out with high SW values in general.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

• 1t2golf pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

As a project, I'm trying to build some clubs that are MOI matched.

I'm trying out graphite to deal with some arthritis, and thought it would be fun to give club-building a shot, since there is not a club builder in my immediate vicinity.

After tons of reading, I have pieced together this build sheet, using the components I have, and Tutelman's MOI and SW equations I've found online. I got some cheap Aerotech Steelfiber 110 shaft pulls, and decided to use those, along with the Titleist CB heads I already have. 

I think I've account for everything, recognizing that the actual shaft build will change results. But these appear to be pretty decent ballpark. I've included 1g of epoxy weight with the 1.5g ferrule, and the masking tape with the grip weight.

I've got tip weights on order. The shafts are what they are, but the fit should be OK, and I am coming from C-Taper lite 110 S, so the profile & weight should not be a huge change.  Any thoughts on the build sheet below would be appreciated!

MOI Chart.jpg

Titleist TSR3 9* (+1, neutral), Ventus Red TR 6X

Callaway X2Hot pro 3Deep 14* with Aldila Tour Green 75 S

Titleist T200 3i and 4i, Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist T100 (2020) 5-PW, Project X Precision 6.0

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 58

Taylor Made Spider

• 3 weeks later...

The shafts that feel good for me are 120g X-stiff shafts, but I have an opportunity to buy a set of 100g X-stiff graphite shafts (which I prefer).  I would rather play around with lead tape than spend $350 on a heavier set of shafts.  Therefore, I need 2-3 strips of tape at the clubhead and it will essentially be the same as playing 120g shafts? 

10 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

The shafts that feel good for me are 120g X-stiff shafts, but I have an opportunity to buy a set of 100g X-stiff graphite shafts (which I prefer).  I would rather play around with lead tape than spend $350 on a heavier set of shafts.  Therefore, I need 2-3 strips of tape at the clubhead and it will essentially be the same as playing 120g shafts? 

They will feel a lot heavier. Better to get a 15 grip for the grip end then 5g to the head. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, RoyalMustang said:

No.  Increasing swing weight is not the same as increasing shaft weight static weight.   Will it help?  Maybe, maybe not.   Doesn't hurt to give it a try.  The lead tape is easy to remove if it doesn't work.

As chipa mentioned above, adding weight to the grip end is another possible way to help, although there really is no way to tell which will be better until you try both options.  Just don't sacrifice using the proper grip size - there are plenty of options to add weight plugs w/o having to change the grip size.

This topic is a great read for anyone looking to make minor adjustments to their game - Lead tape (if done correctly) can drastically change the outcome of your trajectory, shot shape, and feel depending on where the tape is applied. Generally placing towards the back of the club (driver in this case) will help you hit the ball higher, applying it to the heel will reduce slice, applying to the toe will reduce hook, and applying to the center with reduce the center of gravity. Good thing about lead tape is that its easy to experiment with from round to round!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, SCOTT4099 said:

Would lead tape on the sole of the driver effect the sound/feel? I am just thinking of adding one strip to get my swingweight up a little,thanks

When I did have epic flash, it was such a horrible sounding driver, 2 x 1/2 “ of tape Made it sound a lot better, 

On 8/26/2020 at 8:49 PM, lefty787 said:

I chanced on this post and thought I would respond. Its kind of weird how similar we are. I am a 11 hcp, SS around 103 and a little taller than you. I also play heavy swing weights. For me, I was fitted a long time ago and my swing has undergone changes so I tinker with my clubs to get the ball flight that suits me. My driver is a TS3 at E3 swing weight. I play the golf pride Tour 25 grips which adds SW points and also have Tungsten powder in my irons (R 400 hard stepped shafts) (Which play at D9), same for my wedges. 

I think its a feel thing because I just cannot dial in my tempo with lighter irons. When my friends ask me why I play heavy swing weights, I always tell them its a matter of preference.

I would simply say that one should play whatever suits them and enables them to play their best.

On 8/26/2020 at 5:49 AM, lefty787 said:

They use the connectors and they are heavy, it is why they always recomend high swing weight...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, toddmanley said:

What change in SW would you likely see if you took a 7-iron head (Miura TC-201) and bored it to .370?  Asking to determine if it makes sense to do this for a potential set of overlength clubs (+2").

-Thanks, Todd

I wouldn't expect to see any significant change.  It's only a tiny bit of metal, no more than 1 gm so maybe 1/3 to 1/2 swing wt pt.   It only makes sense if you really wanted to use .370 shafts.

Edited by Stuart_G

15 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

I wouldn't expect to see any significant change.  It's only a tiny bit of metal, no more than 1 gm so maybe 1/3 to 1/2 swing wt pt.   It only makes sense if you really wanted to use .370 shafts.

ANY RULE OF THEM WHEN YOU ARE TAKING HEADS AND STRIPPING THEM RAW? I AM GOING TO PLAY THE SET 1'2" OVER WHEN IT IS DONE. SORRY FOR CAPS////

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

7 hours ago, Wardonation said:

ANY RULE OF THEM WHEN YOU ARE TAKING HEADS AND STRIPPING THEM RAW? I AM GOING TO PLAY THE SET 1'2" OVER WHEN IT IS DONE. SORRY FOR CAPS////

More of a weight loss in that case but don't remember the details since it's not something I ever took on myself.   I did a search once and the links are here:

Edited by Stuart_G

14 hours ago, Pistol1234 said:

Sorry if this has been already asked but does anyone know if changing the flex within the same shaft line changes swing weight? For example would KBS Tour s120 and KBS Tour x130 provide the same swing weight given other components remain the same. 

In general, it completely depends on the shaft designer so can be different for each model shaft.

Specifically with the KBS Tour, I have not heard of any differences but can't say for sure.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Couple questions. I just had MMT 105 s shafts put in my Mizuno HMBs. For the most part swing weights are about 1/2 off and not sure it makes a difference. But I have tow issues/questions.

1.) my PW is now a D0 I am okay with lead tape to fix. Am I correct in assuming 2grams = 1 swing weight?

2.) my 54 and 58 are now D7 and D9 I play PW- 58 at same length. If I reduce length of 54 and 58 by 1/4 and 1/2 I should expect an approximate reduction in SW of 1.5 and 3 pts, respectively?

thanks in advance.

Edited by Jimv

yes except the "toe issue" problem. That could be length or shaft flex... I guess it could be SW but I doubt it... You like em besides that? How is flight compared to your 120's?

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

15 hours ago, Wardonation said:

yes except the "toe issue" problem. That could be length or shaft flex... I guess it could be SW but I doubt it... You like em besides that? How is flight compared to your 120's?

Pretty sure that "tow" was a typo that was supposed to be two, not toe.

And if some one has an iron or even wedge  set where the swing weight jumps around between D0 and D9, you certainly should suspect swing weight first and foremost.   There are some exceptions (there always are) but it has way more potential to influence the results and impact quality than the flex in most players.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:53 PM, Jimv said:

Couple questions. I just had MMT 105 s shafts put in my Mizuno HMBs. For the most part swing weights are about 1/2 off and not sure it makes a difference. But I have tow issues/questions.

1.) my PW is now a D0 I am okay with lead tape to fix. Am I correct in assuming 2grams = 1 swing weight?

2.) my 54 and 58 are now D7 and D9 I play PW- 58 at same length. If I reduce length of 54 and 58 by 1/4 and 1/2 I should expect an approximate reduction in SW of 1.5 and 3 pts, respectively?

thanks in advance.

1) actually it's a bit more but shouldn't be too far off.

2) Yes.  But going shorter in the shortest clubs could potentially cause other problem if you start to creep into playing lengths that are 'too short' for you and your swing.  In general, length isn't really the best way to manipulate swing weight.

I am building a Mizuno T20 50* wedge with PX 6.5... I was expecting to have to tip weight the shaft to make it play D3-D4 (online it appears that the stock setup is D3 with S400 - which being 132g and PX 6.5 being 125g means I am going to be light).... but the club comes out at D6.5 already!

Anybody have ideas what is going on?? Are Mizuno wedges actually D7 stock??