Longest Tour ball off tee combined with most short game spin?

PunkGolfWRX

Is there such a ball?! Currently play Pro V1x. CHS 110

Is there a ball that will give me extra yards off the tee AND provide a softer, spinnier feel approaching and around the green?

DR: TaylorMade Qi10 LS  6.5° | autoFlex SF505X Yellow

DR: TaylorMade Qi10 DESIGNER SERIES BLACK OUT  7.5° | autoFlex SF505X Rainbow

HY: Callaway Epic Flash #3  17° | Aerotech SteelFiber fc75 F4

4-PW: Callaway Epic Forged 19 | Aerotech SteelFiber fc90 F4

GW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW M Grind    50° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
SW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW Low Bounce K  57° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
LW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW T Grind  61° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
P: Scotty Cameron H21 Limited Proto PX-7.5-SN-TB | Tour Black 34.5”
B: CTX/TP5X/-PROV1X Still testing

Bench
HY: PING G410 #3 19° |  Veylix Arcane Wildeye Rainbow Copper Mod S

P: Titleist Scotty Cameron TOUR ISSUE Newport Concept 2 CIRCLE T WELD NECK  | 34”

oh boy this is a loading question haha.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

I would say the Bridgestone Tour BX

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

All the major "Tour" balls are doing the best job the Rules will allow at providing length off the tee and spin around the greens. The differences between them come down to tiny little percentages that vary from player to player.

With a 110mph clubhead speed you aren't going to be gaining or giving up more than a handful of yards with the driver no matter which one you pick. Just try a bunch of them and go with the one that works best on the green end for you.

• Like 2

Pro V1x is the longest off the tee and most spin on short irons and wedges. All the top performance balls are close though.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Thanks all, am pretty happy with the Pro V1x. Certainly spins enough for me, just wondered if I was missing out by not trying say the TP5X which many rave about. Have tried the Snell mtb-x but it didn’t feel quite as good. Used the Chrome Soft X last season but I feel the Titleist is a better ball.

DR: TaylorMade Qi10 LS  6.5° | autoFlex SF505X Yellow

DR: TaylorMade Qi10 DESIGNER SERIES BLACK OUT  7.5° | autoFlex SF505X Rainbow

HY: Callaway Epic Flash #3  17° | Aerotech SteelFiber fc75 F4

4-PW: Callaway Epic Forged 19 | Aerotech SteelFiber fc90 F4

GW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW M Grind    50° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
SW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW Low Bounce K  57° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
LW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW T Grind  61° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
P: Scotty Cameron H21 Limited Proto PX-7.5-SN-TB | Tour Black 34.5”
B: CTX/TP5X/-PROV1X Still testing

Bench
HY: PING G410 #3 19° |  Veylix Arcane Wildeye Rainbow Copper Mod S

P: Titleist Scotty Cameron TOUR ISSUE Newport Concept 2 CIRCLE T WELD NECK  | 34”

I'd throw the AVX into the conversation. It does sacrifice 'some' spin around the greens (when compared to the Pro-V1x), for less spin off the tee, which equates being longer. The thing is this is very much a premium ball and still very spinny around the greens when compared to other balls, It just won't have as much as the V1x. As a high-ball/spin player who needed a less spinny ball while playing in the windy bay-area, the move to this ball from a prov1 has been a game changing, and the difference spin around the green, though slightly noticeable, is still fairly negligible. It'll fly lower than the prov1x as well fwiw. YMMV.

• Like 1

I thought TM has it the other way around, with the TP5 being the V1x equivalent.

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

I'd like to know what kind of player the x version doesn't work better for.

I'm not a high speed guy, 90-95mph driver weekend player, recently made some good gains.

The x balls work best for me. Not your 110+ swinger.

So who benefits from the non x version?

Currently gaming Srixon XV. I have zero problems with Pro V or Tp5 or Snell or Bx or CS, but the BOGO deals are the decider, and I've really gotten used to the feel. Snell always feels hard, I don't play the Titleist bc the price is prohibitive, and the Bridgestone, TM and Callaway options are the same cost issue for lateral performance.

• Like 1

I don't play them because I just can't part with that much money over the course of 150 rounds per year, but you are already playing the best golf ball on the market, and with the exact parameters that you are asking for.

If you can find anything longer than the V1x, it'll be by VERY small amounts; generally speaking, the V1x is as long as any premium ball on the market. Maybe the TP5x, and the Snell MTB-x by a couple of yards, but that's about it. But nothing spins more off a wedge than the V1x; that's from multiple sources of independent testing data, not my opinion. In fact, I think it's safe to say that the guys on Tour that play the V1 or the left dash V1x are high spin players looking for a little bit LESS spin from the ball.

• Like 1

I also play about 140-150 rounds a year so I order the 4-for-3 promotion on Pro V1x every spring and that covers about 80% of my golf ball consumption. The other 20% comes from a sleeve or occasionally a dozen of this or that ball I try just to see if I'm missing something. None of the others ever beats the Pro V1x in any way but I'm always curious!

The cost is basically $150/year for my Pro V1x supply or about a dollar a round. There are a few courses I play occasionally where I take some other ball because they're the sort of ball-eaters where on a bad day I might lose a couple sleeves of balls. If I played that sort of OB and water hazard strewn course every day I'd have to play Kirklands or something instead...

I get too much iron spin with the ProV1x. With the ProV1, my ball usually ends within 5 feet of where it lands (assuming level green). With the ProV1x I get a lot of short irons/wedges that zip back dramatically - enough so that I would have to play beyond the hole to account for it as well as making any holes with severe slopes/false fronts much trickier to deal with.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

I played the ProV1x almost exclusively for a long-time. The only exception would be to mess around once in a while with a different ball, but I always came back to the ProV1x. I have made the full time switch to the AVX now for a few weeks after extensive testing. My driver swing speed is low 90s on a really good day. I tend to lean toward having higher spin than probably others at my skill level (5.2 index) and swing speed. The AVX off the driver launches like a missile and rolls out for days. I suspect I am averaging at least 10-12 yds farther off the tee than with the X. About 3 times a round when the perfect swing comes together, I have reached distances I have never seen with the X version. This distance goes all the way through the bag, especially with the 3W/4W and 7W. About 1/2 a club with the irons. I am getting to long par 4s now which I never could even with two perfectly struck shots with a ProV1X.

I played both side by side over the course of differing holes for weeks. I would often hit what felt like a perfect drive with the X and only a decent drive with the AVX and the AVX would be equal or even slightly ahead of the X. I suspect I am the rare individual where this occurs.

I have not experienced the "disadvantages" of the AVX as some others have. I hit it plenty high to hold any green. I have not experience the "jumper" that flies farther than expected, nor have I experienced one that has not "checked out". Yes, there is not as much spin as the X, but as Socalbonzi mentioned above, it is still a premium tour ball with plenty of spin. I find almost zero adjustment needed when playing the X version. And that is the old version. The 2020 version is noticeably better around the greens.

The Snell's are nice balls at a great price point, but they certainly feel hard to me. The MTB-X feels like a bowling ball, but a couple of my regular playing partners love it. The Black did nothing to wow me. The AVX feels like butter to me, but I am sure for many players it could feel like a marshmallow.

5As are $30 a dozen at lostgolfballs.com, but I am going to do what North Butte does and get the next 3 for 1 deal in yellow for next season.

• Like 1

There are basically two times a year to get Pro V1x at slightly less than normal retail cost.

The best one is the Loyalty Rewarded promotion that starts a couple weeks before the Masters and ends some time in early-mid May (not clear on the exact dates). Through any Titleist retailer you can order three dozen personalized balls at the normal retail price and Titleist will send our four dozen for the price of three. So for instance my usual cost if $48/dozen plus tax but every spring I order four dozen for $144 plus tax.

This year was weird with the COVID shutdown delay but they usually arrive in 2-3 weeks. You must personalize them but there's no extra charge for that. I usually just put my initials.

The other time a year is Black Friday or thereabouts where retails are usually allowed to offer below-MAP pricing of something like $40/dozen for a couple weeks.

Any other time a year legitimate retailers pretty much still to the usual $48 or $49 per dozen with no other promotions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 5:57 PM, Justsomeguy said:

I'd like to know what kind of player the x version doesn't work better for.

I'm not a high speed guy, 90-95mph driver weekend player, recently made some good gains.

The x balls work best for me. Not your 110+ swinger.

So who benefits from the non x version?

Currently gaming Srixon XV. I have zero problems with Pro V or Tp5 or Snell or Bx or CS, but the BOGO deals are the decider, and I've really gotten used to the feel. Snell always feels hard, I don't play the Titleist bc the price is prohibitive, and the Bridgestone, TM and Callaway options are the same cost issue for lateral performance.

It depends. For some brands the X ball spins less (especially with irons) and some brands the X ball spins more. With Bridgestone, Callaway, and TaylorMade the X ball will spin less off irons. Snell, Srixon, and Titleist are reversed. In general, the X ball will benefit everyone off the diver (due to increased ball speed), but the slower you swing, the less that matters. Off the irons it depends on what spin you want. Going to a TP5x vs a Bridgestone BXS, might give you 5 yards or so of extra carry on irons, but it also might cost you 800 RPM of spin. Around the greens, I doubt amateurs can find much difference in the performance of all the tour balls

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arbeck said:

It depends. For some brands the X ball spins less (especially with irons) and some brands the X ball spins more. With Bridgestone, Callaway, and TaylorMade the X ball will spin less off irons. Snell, Srixon, and Titleist are reversed. In general, the X ball will benefit everyone off the diver (due to increased ball speed), but the slower you swing, the less that matters. Off the irons it depends on what spin you want. Going to a TP5x vs a Bridgestone BXS, might give you 5 yards or so of extra carry on irons, but it also might cost you 800 RPM of spin. Around the greens, I doubt amateurs can find much difference in the performance of all the tour balls

I heartily endorse arbeck's summary of the available options.

At $34.99 I wouldn't even give the Maxfli a second look, that's just not cheap enough to make much difference seeing as how I only go through about a ball every 27 holes or so.

But when they run their 2-for-$50 sales once in a while...now we're talking a serious bargain. I always grab two dozen on sale and use them when I play the ball-eating monster course near our house at the beach. 

• Like 1

I'm one of the guys where an X ball doesn't work.  My driver swing speed is 106-108 and X balls for me almost a full club shorter on irons and wedges.  I'm a staunch chrome soft player, but the closest ball for me after that is the TP5.  I used to play the Pro V1x, and it's still about a half club longer off the tee, but it's offset by irons and wedges being shorter.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

On 8/21/2020 at 10:17 AM, groach said:

I'm one of the guys where an X ball doesn't work.  My driver swing speed is 106-108 and X balls for me almost a full club shorter on irons and wedges.  I'm a staunch chrome soft player, but the closest ball for me after that is the TP5.  I used to play the Pro V1x, and it's still about a half club longer off the tee, but it's offset by irons and wedges being shorter.

This really depends on the brand. A TP5x spins less than the non X, as does a Tour BX. That's where the shorter distance comes from.

I'd throw my vote to the AVX, as a few have already. Irons travel further than the V1x. Driver distance is a bit harder to quantify without doing some A/B testing or using a LM, so I can't necessarily comment on that, but I feel like it probably flies further. I have no issues around the greens with them, either pitch or chips. Both have the expected amount of spin for me. 

I'm currently a 9hcp (should be probably closer to a 6 or 7, but my putting game struggles at times), swing speed with my 6i is around 92-94mph and my driver around 106-108mph. I'm also a sweeper with my irons and wedges, and don't take much of a divot, so there is that to consider.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

On 8/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, North Butte said:

At $34.99 I wouldn't even give the Maxfli a second look, that's just not cheap enough to make much difference seeing as how I only go through about a ball every 27 holes or so.

But when they run their 2-for-$50 sales once in a while...now we're talking a serious bargain. I always grab two dozen on sale and use them when I play the ball-eating monster course near our house at the beach. 

This is slight off topic but don't most players find their ball when they are able to hold on with same ball for 18 holes or more?   This is assuming that are not playing a heavily watered course like Doral or something. 

I have been playing a matte yellow Wilson Duo Soft and I cannot lose it.   It is also amazingly durable and soft.

I also play "found" Pro V 1's and 1x's.  I have a bunch as my old muni course had woods that vacuumed up endless balls. .

When and where can I get a deal on the AVX?  I found one of those and I liked it.  I bought a dozen Titliest Velocitys and I am not crazy about those.