2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Nunchuk. Still liking them?

mattjud

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still use one in drivers -- I do better with them than anything else, and I have tried DG, DG Lite, and DG SL, along with Apollo Spectre Lite steel shafts in my woods. And I recently put one in an Alpha V5 3 wood, and I'm really happy with that. Now I had tried it in a few other fairways the last couple of years and it just didn't seem like the right pairings. One thing that anybody who tries it needs to remember is that your best drives probably won't be as long, since you'll likely being playing it shorter and it is heavier. While the raw shaft is about 105g, it is a little counterweighted, and when playing at 43-44" will feel like it's closer to an 80g shaft. I tend to have a quicker transition, so heavier is definitely better for me, but it might not help smooth swingers much. There's a really long thread on the Nunchuk on SITD [url="http://secretinthedirt.com/index.php/forum/133-driver-golf-shafts/10941-nunchuk-driver-shaft-unique-concept"]http://secretinthedi...-unique-concept[/url] with a lot of input from its creator, Gerry Hogan, along with a few true believers. It gets pretty contentious here and there, but it's entertaining.

Now many people prefer it in their fairways to their drivers, and I think that's due to its weight and playing length -- many (including myself) are loathe to try a driver in the 43-44" range and instead keep it long where they have a harder time handling it, while they're playing their fairways at 42-43" and loving it. I haven't tried it in a hybrid or an iron, but I'm considering it for my 16* hybrid. I'm more consistent with the Nunchuk -- and for where I play, it's long enough and it certainly helps me keep it in play. Unfortunately, it's not a cheap experiment, but you can usually get pulls from EBay for <$100 and if you're patient, sometimes you can get decent heads on them for not much more. Gerry Hogan suggests lofting up with it in your driver, and it's probably a good idea.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

The CEO of nventix emailed me and going to meet him and try a driver. I have a 10.5 G30 and a 12* sldr. I love the idea of a shorter driver. I can hit a 44 wayyyyy better than a 45.5 or 46. I'm long enough where I wouldn't care about loosing distance.. Iron shafts look interesting. I have the steelfibers and thought they felt heavy, but looking at this stuff more in depth maybe I know why.. They are butt heavy.

I love my Nunchuk's, 6 in the bag now, D, 4W, 7W, plus 3 hybrids. Thinking about trying the irons next. I started with the Driver, then the two woods, then a hybrid, then 2 more and have had great results with each club, once I found the right length and swing weight.

My driver is 44.5 inches, and SW of D2, don't try to go longer than that. They recommend 43-44.5, and D1-D3.

But I like them just as well in my woods and hybrids, nothing has ever worked better for me. 97-100 mph driver swing speed, but athletic and aggressive transition.

It also takes a little while to get used to the Nunchuk's, as they feel a little different, so give yourself a season to get used to them. You also may need to make minor setup adjustments. I almost gave up on them after the first round, but after 3-4 rounds I was a believer.

For me these will never leave my bag, though I might change heads, but the shafts are staying. Currently I play Callaway Driver and woods, and Wishon 775HS hybrids at iron lengths.

I buy all my shafts off of GolfWRX classifieds or E-bay,and never pay more than $100, especially for wood and hybrid lengths.

Mark

[quote name='rx7mark' timestamp='1430619022' post='11488447']
I love my Nunchuk's, 6 in the bag now, D, 4W, 7W, plus 3 hybrids. Thinking about trying the irons next. I started with the Driver, then the two woods, then a hybrid, then 2 more and have had great results with each club, once I found the right length and swing weight.

My driver is 44.5 inches, and SW of D2, don't try to go longer than that. They recommend 43-44.5, and D1-D3.

But I like them just as well in my woods and hybrids, nothing has ever worked better for me. 97-100 mph driver swing speed, but athletic and aggressive transition.

It also takes a little while to get used to the Nunchuk's, as they feel a little different, so give yourself a season to get used to them. You also may need to make minor setup adjustments. I almost gave up on them after the first round, but after 3-4 rounds I was a believer.

For me these will never leave my bag, though I might change heads, but the shafts are staying. Currently I play Callaway Driver and woods, and Wishon 775HS hybrids at iron lengths.

I buy all my shafts off of GolfWRX classifieds or E-bay,and never pay more than $100, especially for wood and hybrid lengths.

Mark
[/quote]

What callaway driver u have? What is ur swing speed?

As mentioned my driver swing speed is 97-100 mph.

The driver is an old Callaway Razr Hawk Tour 9.5 that measures slightly over 10 degrees. I just have not found anything better, but still looking.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the Nuchuk's are very consistent in distance, and you don't tend to see the occasional long bomb like you see from some other shafts.

No I did not gain any distance. But I sure have been hitting a lot more fairways.

Before I was using a longer and lighter shaft, so some of the improvement probably comes from the shorter length.

The shorter length also probably explains why I did not see any distance increase, but I didn't lose anything either.

Just be aware that Nventix highly recommends to keep the length in the 43-44.5 length MAX!

And this is backed up by lots of users, don't be tempted to go longer, it won't work well.

I have not tried shorter, 44.5 worked so well, I haven't tried anything else.

I really don't think I hit any shaft differently... I don't go after it very hard and can hit a regular the same as I can hit a stiff and an x. Not sure why, I'm a pretty good golfer,, I've taken lessons to improve and gone from a 0 to a 2.3... But that happens with lessons. I'm plenty long for my group. 280- to a freaky 300++ every once in a while..I have a 3deep on the way with a nunchuk and will try it.. I just really want to try in driver. Not sure why, just the HO in me....

• 11 months later...

It's been a year, but I still like my nunchuk in my sldr. I don't seem to lose distance, I'm 56 and drove the first green 4 times last year--its only 325--but as a former long hitter as a youth, it's nice to have some yardage back...

I'm surprised more people aren't using it? I think it must be the "heavy" shaft thing. People think they lose yards.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

• 3 years later...

Old post, but being a new Nunchuk believer I thought I would add to the thread with more recent results. A little background on me and my golf game. I am 40 and just got serious into golf about 2 seasons ago. Never played prior to that. Always played what I would call standard sports - football and baseball. Swing speed with a driver is in the 95-100 range. I would say more 95 range on a consistent basis. To hit 100 I feel like I really have to step on it and I then tend to get a bit out of sync with my already out of sync swing. My handicap is in the 20-21 range. I can occasionally find a good round in the mid 80's, but those don't come to often. Generally it is high 80's to low 90's. A really bad day and I can easily hit a 100 on the scorecard. My miss is a slice off the planet going way right and into deep rough or trees and even OB from time to time. I have a over the top swing and negative angle of attack. Both are swing faults of mine that I am aware of and consistently try to improve on. However, it has been a slow process.

On a whim I found a Nunchuk shaft on here for a cheap price of $40 shipped. It was shorter so it fit perfect into my 7 wood that I have. I thought what the hell I would give a try. Got into my G410 SFT 7 wood (41 inches playing length) and it took me a good handful of rounds to get used to the feel of it. My initial feeling was my god this is heavy. But once I got grooved into the feel it has become my go to club. My miss is now a slight pull. No longer finding myself hitting my off the planet slice. Baby fade is more like it now a days. I have even hit a few small draws with it. The club just works for me. It helps me to slow down my aggressive transition and my over the topness that I have. Not saying that it has cured it, but has defiantly help get it more under control.

The results that I have received are nothing but fairway finding shots. I also get consistent ball speeds, consistent distances, and a tighter dispersion. Which for me and my current skill level with this beautiful game I will take over distance. I love the shaft so much that I have searched the inter webs for more. I managed to find one for my TM Original One mini driver (playing length if 43 inches), and 3 wood (playing length 42 inches). Also have a hybrid one and looking for more. I may just end up with a whole bag full of them I like em that much.

I would say they aren't for everyone, but everyone should at least give them a try and not poo poo them right away because of the weight of the shaft and it being a one flex shaft. You may find that your results are better than your current gamer shaft and make a switch. Below are my driver fitting I did this past thanksgiving weekend. I did lose a small amount of distance, but my ball speed, spin rate, smash factor, and distances were all consistent and I was in the fairway not way right like usual. The shaft defiantly lives up to what they claim, at least in the hands of this average golfer it does.

OAKI5G9QOFJR.jpg

• 5 months later...

jmk,

i agree, hard to get away from....

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

• 2 months later...

JMK,

I am in the Nunchuk camp also, I have them in 2 wedges, 2 hybrids, 2 woods (7W & 4W) and my driver, though I have just tried a Hzrdus Yellow in the driver and it works for me also, similar bend profile, but lighter.

My latest fun with Nunchuk's are 3 Maltby KE4 Tour FDI hybrid replacements, these are basically new style hollow driving irons. I originally tried one of these heads with the same shaft I use in my irons, and did not get along with it, to wimpy with the weight I had to add. It sat in my parts bin for a year or two, then one day I saw that head and looked thru my spare shafts, and got inspired to try it with a Nunchuk. All I had was a short wood shaft. And I had to fabricate an adapter, (370 hybrid shaft would be a lot easier in these heads) but it worked, and my god these things are fun to hit and straight! Maltby recently reintroduced this head with some improvements, and I have all 3 now loaded with Nunchuks, and they have kicked the hybrids and the 7w out of the bag and greatly reduced how often I actually use my driver and 4w. They fit into my Callaway Apex set as my 5i, 4i, and 3i. I have them at 24, 21.5, and 19 degrees. My Apex 6i is at 27 degrees.

Some of the best golf shots I have ever had in my life (45 years of golf) have come from hitting these driving irons, including my first hole in one last year! I have now built 3 for buddies in my golf league after letting them try one of these. One of the better golfers I know took the 19 degree home for a tryout and refused to return it, he said it was the best long iron he had ever hit.

They take a lot of weight in the head to get them to a decent swing weight, but Maltby offers replaceable weights for this head, and you can add some weight to the shank as well.