Pro V1 vs Left Dash Pro V1X

ME27

Are these balls basically the same except pro v1 is softer and left dash is harder? It seems like left dash would fly higher. Pro V1 is my go to ball for some time but wondering if I should try the left dash if its lower spinning throughout the bag.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

Titleist say the Left Dash has high trajectory like the Pro V1x but lower spin than Pro V1x while not as low as AVX.

In actual play, I can detect no difference in trajectory between Left Dash and regular Pro V1x. I have noticed a lower flight on Pro V1 the few times I've used it.

I'd suspect that Left Dash is meant to be slightly lower spin than Pro V1 but it's beyond my ability to detect the finer distinctions of spin (my swing is not very consistent in producing spin). Left Dash certainly is not nearly as low spinning as AVX, though.

Thanks for your input. A little lower spinning than v1 would be ideal I think. I can not play the avx because I can’t stand the feel. It feels like hitting a marshmallow to me.

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

As I posted in my earlier comments, the Left Dash is nothing like the AVX. It is a very firm, high trajectory ball with (very) slightly lower spin than Pro V1x, which is just about the spinniest ball on the market. And 4pc construction.

AVX is a softer, low trajectory ball with just about the lowest spin of any urethane ball on the market. 3pc construction.

The only way they could be more different would be if one of them had a Surlyn cover.

• Like 2

The Pro V1 and left dash are about as different as you can get. I play the Pro V1 and was hoping the left dash was similar with a little higher launch and less spin.

I found the left dash played like a distance ball for me. Great off the driver high launch low spin. Problem was it was the same for every club. Just could not get used to it off irons and wedges. It does take off on a higher trajectory and did not spin enough. Also did not check on firm greens.

I found the left dash does exactly what Titleist says it does. Would fit someone looking to reduce spin. I can see why it is sort of a niche product for them.

left dash takes off hundreds of rpms of spin on every club, even the driver. maybe up to 1000 on a full wedge. it's a prov1x on steroids when it comes to distance. but you sacrifice some feel, as it's a firm ball.

it's a ball for someone that is high speed / high spin and needs something to just kill the spin beyond just fitting.

avx is lower spinning, but higher swing speeds will lose some ball speed with it in comparison. avx is better for average swing speeds.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I switched to the ProV1x left dash this year after testing. I’m an average speed player and not a high spinner and I don’t see the major drop in spin that you indicate. I have no issues stopping the ball on the greens, I find the left dash to be very similar to the TP5x and the old version of the ProV1x.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

I'm with you here and sound very similar in swing speed. I have definitely picked up distance on the driver. I notice more improvement there over anything. I also notice original Titileist "drop and stop" performance from my irons. No spinning back 8-9 irons. The ball is just a foot or 2 in front or behind my pitch mark from 4 iron through LW. Short pitches and lobs perform no different over a ProV1 or X for me.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

The summary of the TXG video is a high clubhead speed player found the Left Dash to be 10% or so lower spinning than Pro V1x with possibly a tiny bit more ball speed.

Guess it's no surprise that as a much, much lower clubhead speed player I find the differences between Left Dash and Pro V1x to be very minor (other than the louder bang Left Dash makes off my driver).

I didnt notice if the results were summaries of multiple shots or just one shot with each club. I am a average to a little above aversge swing speed player who struggles with too much spin. I bought a dz of these to test out...i am hoping for 2017 pro v1 x type characteristics with this ball. The new pro v1x in yellow spins a ton, but I still want the high trajectory it brings.

Think of the left dash as having spin rates somewhere in between the V1x and the V1; that's all. There isn't a dime's worth of difference in anything else; launch angle, carry distance, nothing. The guys on Tour are incredibly consistent in the amount of spin they generate, and the left dash is for guys who like a firm ball that doesn't spin quite as much. Given that there's only about a 300 rpm difference in the spin rate of the V1x and the V1 off a wedge, I think you can assume that the left dash reduces spin from the V1x no more than that.

Completely agree. For my game (17hcp) the Left Dash and Pro V1x are completely interchangeable. I've tried real hard to see any difference at all and the spin "reduction" is far smaller than my ability to detect. I really like the firmer/louder feel and sound of the Left Dash so if I had to state a preference it would be that version. My favorite non-ProV1x ball ever was the 2012 version of Bridgestone B330. Man that thing made a loud bang off the driver and a distinct clank off mid-irons. I like that. Played a lot like Pro V1x except a bit lower driver trajectory .

It's cool that good players might want to choose Left Dash to shave a few hundred rpm of spin but I'm kind of happy Titleist gives me the option of getting more bang for my Pro V1x buck, so to speak, without giving up anything as a tradeoff.

I'm probably the only hacker in the world who actually does not like "soft" golf ball. Probably from all those years of playing Dunlop DDH rocks when I was learning the game

I would suspect that VERY few amateurs, even good ones, could tell the difference between the V1x and the left dash without labels. I'll go one step farther with that, and say that with ear plugs in, very few of us could tell the difference between the V1x, the left dash, and the V1. Pros can, but they are doing something entirely different in terms of precision around the greens. What most amateurs need is MORE spin off an iron, not less; we tend not to generate enough spin for consistent ball flight anyway, and less spin creates what amounts to "fliers"; inconsistent carry distances and unpredictable roll out. I need all the help I can get; I don't need to try to overcome mediocre performance characteristics of my golf ball!

All of that said, I'm 100% with you about preferring a firmer ball. The idea that amateurs are somehow better off with a softer ball, when the data shows that, in general, firmer is longer and spin has to do with the cover and the number of layers rather than compression and sound of the ball off the club, makes the success of "soft" golf balls among amateurs one of the great marketing ploys in golf history. And I REALLY get mystified in this day and age of mountains of independent testing data when people pay a premium price for a soft golf ball, given that "soft" isn't even a performance characteristic!

Agree, the "slow swing speed players need to play a softer ball so they can compress it" is one of the greatest con jobs in golf history. And yes, it is still going strong. Just had this conversation this week. It is amazing that given the data and the resources available along with the prices of premium golf balls that many decent golfers still play garbage balls.

With that said, with full recognition of the "soft" ball feeling is not really a feeling at all, I have no problem with folks not liking the feedback of a firmer ball. As discussed before, the "X" versions of the ProV1 or the Snell or Bridgestone are for the most part acknowledged as being the perfect ball, but this is still a game of "feel" and "sensory pleasure" so I am glad there are quality alternatives.

I guess nothing in this world is truly "perfect" but I know one thing. If you have handed me a sleeve of 2019 Pro V1x in 1995 I'd have said no way these things can be legal. Back then everyone knew that you could either have spin (and it would cost you tons of distance) or distance (and it would cost you tons of spin). If you asked my 1995-self to describe the perfect golf ball I probably wouldn't have even thought to dream up something as good as today's "Tour" balls (not just Titleist, there are "perfect" balls from half a dozen other OEM's).

Finally got my hands on the left dash to try out. My usual ball is ProV1, driver swing speed is 110 and am a 5 handicap. I am generally a high spin player. Ball flight is higher than a ProV1 and the ball definitely flew farther on all clubs for me. Most noticeable difference was on irons , Id say a half club extra on all irons. Feel / Sound was louder/firmer than ProV1 but I really loved the feel and sound off the irons. Only thing I need to get used to is putting as my distances were off as I didnt have time to practice with it before the round. Im going to play this ball for the foreseeable future and maybe I will update this after a few more rounds with it.

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

Interesting you mentioned putting. My last quite a few rounds have been with the Left Dash (although I also have some of the regular Pro V1x on hand) so that's what I'm using to putting with.

Last week I hit my opening tee shot of the day OB and when I went to check and see if it somehow stayed in there was a brand new Srixon Zstar ball sitting there. So for no particular reason I started playing it on the second hole and proceeded to have my worst putting day in ages. I simply could not get a 20-30-40 putt within for feet of the hole to save my life. It was embarrassing because I'm normally a good lag putter.

That evening it suddenly occurred to me that the Srixon had a much more muted sound off all the clubs, including putter. So of course the next day I put a Left Dash in play and gave the Zstar away. Had a great putting day, no three putts and several really long lag putts stone dead. I'm pretty sure I'm getting some sort of subliminal feedback from that clicky Left Dash ball and with the Srixon I was just putting deaf and dumb

• 2 weeks later...

To me it does play the same as the 2017 or 2015 model.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

I'm in the minority but I can tell the differences of this ball to past ProV1x models on shorter shots. I still have boxes of those old ones and can test side by side. It's firmer imo. But most people probably wouldn't notice or even care, and outside of performance will not notice off the longer shots/clubs.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

Well there's one kind of difference that's can I detect it when carefully comparing balls side-by-side in a test. Then there's the other kind of difference that's can I tell after 100 rounds with one ball that it's performing different than the other ball did after 100 rounds.
Like for putting. Even very similar balls make just enough difference in sound off the putter to screw up my distance control. If I've played round after round with one model and suddenly switch mid-round to something different (like Pro V1x to AVX) I start leaving putts long and short. It will sort itself out if I stick to the new ball for a couple rounds, though.

I saw this ball on the TXG sight and was so stoked. I loved the older more original lower spinning ProVx. However, Titleist got all wacky and changed the profiles around and the balls continued to get softer and have more spin. I was spinning everything shorter than 7i off greens. It looks really cool but will drive you nuts!
I have been using TM TP5x and luving it. The Left Dash is a big hit for me. Performs like the ProVx i liked originally. It is harder and louder but when you're flying it 30, 40, 50 yds past your buds thats ok....right? I swing driver 105-113 depending. Now my 3W is the perfect driving club on anything shorter than 400yd par4.

I still use TP5x and I plan on trying the Bridgestone B XS.....