MEMBER REVIEWS: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges! See What Members Are Saying!

I had a chance two get both wedges out on the course over the weekend. Honestly I could play with either club, although I think I am leaning to the full bounce as I think it benefits my playing style (mainly straight faced shots rarely attempting a flop shot) a little more than the mid bounce. One thing I did notice was the spin from both wedges. I was able to get shots to actually check up when pitching into the greens which is something I have not done in a while. Overall I think Cleveland has a winner with the Zip Core. With the three selections of bounce everyone should find something that fits their game. The milling on the faces is a definite winner in my opinion and produces plenty of spin. Shots feel nice coming off the face of the club and everything looks very traditional at address. With some of the difference finish options available soon I think anyone in the market for a wedges should check them out.

Thanks Golfwrx and Cleveland for the opportunity to participate in the review.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Follow-up Testing:

The weather weather this weekend was 100+ heat index so what better time to play some golf and test some awesome new wedges.Pre-round:

I arrived really early to spend some range time and the short-game area before my round: I wanted to get some more feedback on the wedge compared to my previous wedges. I started out with a bucket of range balls comparing my Cleveland ZipCore 56* Full and Mid against my old Nike Engage Full 56* and Cleveland RTG CG14 56*. Again, the first thing that you notice when you place all these clubs next to one another is how bright the ZipCore wedges are compared to the raw finish wedges I'm used to.

image.png

I don't think the ZipCore finish would prevent me from buying these wedges, but it is the only real detracting thing I found with the wedges. When I think Cleveland, I think of the Tour Action 588 RTG wedges. I don't think Cleveland should ever be allowed to offer a wedge unless they offer a RTG finish version too. I have my fingers crossed for a RTG version to come out soon.

I started out hitting stock 3/4 wedges with each of the clubs. I know my current wedges pretty well. They have X100 shafts so they definitely have a slightly heavier static weight than the ZipCore wedges with the Tour Issue Spinner shafts. I don't think this would be too big an issue for me, if I was purchasing these I would probably go with S400 or X100 shafts. I know most people on this site like making their own adjustments so a shaft swap would be an easy change for most. The ZIpCore wedges on 3/4 shots that I choked down on the grip about an inch were just what I expected. They had carry distances were spot on with my old wedges. The largest difference, as you would expect, was with run out after landing. The ZipCore were stopping pretty much on a dime, but my older wedges with duller grooves were running out an extra 10+ feet. I was also pleasantly surprised that I was able to flight these 3/4 shots down by playing them back in my stance very easily. The grooves weren't overly aggressive like I found with some other companies. I've tried other companies wedges (Callaway in particular) where on 3/4 wedge shots you could suck the ball back without trying. I know that this can look cool, but it's rarely useful. I don't want to see this type of reaction from a wedge unless I'm doing something like adding a little bit of speed at the bottom or opening the face slightly. Don't get my wrong, you can easily make the ZipCore wedges suck back, you just have to do something to make it happen.

I next tested the wedges on full shots. The ZipCore wedges performed very much like they did in compared to current wedges in the 3/4 wedge shots. The ZipCore wedges stopped quicker than my old wedges and also to my surprise were launching lower than my old wedges. I always thought that new wedges tended to launch slightly higher than old wedges. After doing a little research, I found that new wedges generally launch a little lower than worn groove wedges. I'm not sure how much of the ability to launch the wedges lower was just fresh grooves or ZipCore re-positioning of mass. I will say the ZipCore really shines on full shots. The ZipCore shots were noticeably closer to the target compared to my old wedges (Nike Engage and Cleveland CG14) which were both modified cavity backs. The Mid bounce sole with a little trailing edge and heel relief is going to be my gamer. I hit 6 full shots in a row that disappeared right over the yardage sign at the range, each of them had a great forged like feeling. I'm not completely sure what the new lightweight core is that Cleveland is using but it has an awesome feel particularly on full shots.

I did notice one was a pretty big difference in performance between the Mid and Full sole ZipCore clubs.

image.pngWhen I was hitting full shots with the Full sole, I noticed I hit a few of my most dreaded wedge shots - that closed down toe draw/hook. If you don't know the type of shot that I'm talking about, it's a very similar feeling to when you hit a wedge out of tall grass and the hosel grabs shutting down the face. The specs of my Mid and Full sole clubs are identical other than the sole grind. I think the issue for me with the Full sole is that my turn interaction is heel biased at times causing that grabby-type hook or draw. These hooks/draws were definitely playable but 30 or so feet offline from my intended target. My 56* is my go to club around the greens, I'll open it up or close it down to hit a variety of shots. I was pretty sure the Mid sole was going to be the winner for me, these few errant shots with the Full sole solidified the Mid sole as my new gamer. Again, I think this is just a characteristic of my swing. My playing partner hit a few shots with the Full sole and loved it. He pretty much plays all his shots with a 56* with a square face and uses his 60* when around the greens. He was raving about the feel of the ZipCore compared to his Vokey SM7. I think this is just proof it was my swing and not the club.

• Like 1

After some more testing I think these wedges will be a contender with any other OEM this year. They are good looking, good performing, and all around a solid club. Both the low and the mid 60* that I have are very versatile around greens and out of rough. I liked the mid better on full shots and don’t feel like I was giving up much in terms of versatility. Great sticks.

I've played Cleveland wedges for 20+ years and I have to say that the testers pictures look much better than the official pictures of these wedges from Cleveland. Now I am intriqued.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I think you are right. In my opinion, the changes Cleveland made shifting the weight are more subtle in person than appear the marketing photos (probably on purpose since this is one of the tech stories with this wedge). At address these look like a traditional wedge and they certainly perform well. If you like Cleveland products I would not hesitate to check them out when they are released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

78e54bd3-2bf5-4834-bdd4-5617728549e5.jpegFinish holding up pretty well after several hundred shots including a couple decently long bunker practice sessions.

One other observation to add... did some more testing against the Ping Glide 3.0 and while I think they are comparably forgiving on mishits, there’s at least a little more feedback on mishits with the Zipcore. Bad shots aren’t punished, but I can definitely feel it more if I hit one off the toe than with the Ping.

Nice review thanks. What are the typical turf conditions where you play and your usual angle into the ball(step/ shallow etc..)?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

My angle of attack is on the deeper side, I'm not a sweeper. I don't have a real steep angle of attack, I'm not taking huge hunking divots but I do take a divot with my wedges. The average turf conditions where I play in Connecticut tend to be on the wet side. I play a lot of golf in the spring and fall and like carrying a little more bounce because of that. If I played all my golf in the middle of the summer or in conditions that were rock hard like Texas, I would probably lean towards a lower bounce option.

image.jpg54 and 60 going in the bag. Today!!

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Finally got a chance to play a few rounds with the wedges......as I said before, the forgiveness is off the charts. Once I was able to get my normal grip on these clubs, I also started hitting them more solid....i restate my claim on the distance being shorter than my Jaws....these are longer and the new DG Spinner shaft feels awesome....especially on full shots.

I have officially put the Jaws on the bench and will be gaming the ZipCore wedges for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

How is the spin, Consistency, and control compared to the Jaws? Do you get any glare from the tour satin finish?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I too am gaming my Zipcore test wedges, 56 mid and 56 low. It’s a little strange having two 56’s in the bag with no 60. I use the mid for most everything, and open up the low for any shot where I'd normally need a 60. I've been varying the ball with each round as well, Z-Star XV, TP5, and MTB Black.

Ready for some stats? (yes, I've got another chart) I've tracked every shot over my last 19 rounds, including the last 7 with Zipcore. I calculate strokes gained derived from PGA Tour baselines, to measure my performance in different areas. By isolating and comparing my performance with the Zipcore wedges and those used previously this season, I can now definitively say that I am 0.86% improved with the new setup.

image.pngIn other words, overall there's not much in it. Comparing Zipcore 56° mid to my other sand wedges, there is only a difference of -0.001 SG per shot. The real "gains" have come from dropping the 60°, performing +0.044 SG per shot better with the 56° low. In other words, perhaps I'm not getting myself into trouble with a 60° wedge like I used to.

Digging a little deeper, the place I've seen actual, real improvement lately is getting out of bunkers.

image.pngBefore Zipcore, my bunker play was pitiful; now, I feel like a "baus" out of the sand. The 56° low is not much better than my 60° was, pretty much the same as previous SW's. The difference is clearly the Zipcore mid, where I've seen +0.399 improvement PER SHOT, reached the green each time, and got up & down 4 out of 8 times. Having confidence out of the sand should have a real impact on my game. It's a small sample size, maybe the equipment change, maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

This is a real statement. Not waiting for ES21?

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I want to follow up my testing. I have played several rounds with both the 60 Mid and Low. Both are very versatile. The consistency continues to impress along with forgiveness. I find the Low a little more appealing for the ability to lay the face wide open on a tight lie. If you do not prefer that option, I would recommend the Mid. I cannot say enough good about these wedges. I will be getting a 54* Mid shortly as well. Thanks again GolfWRX and Cleveland.

These are really really good!! Super impressed.

And, it’s ok to have mode than one friends. Lol ? will be getting the es21 as well.

My current (now previous) wedges are trashed and I have some playing to do. So I wanted to switch them out right away.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Spin is better than the Jaws for sure....now that I have played a few rounds with them, it’s really not even close. I can’t get over how easy these wedges are to hit....it’s insane. I really really like the Jaws and that’s after playing Vokey’s for about 10 years straight, but these are for sure my new wedges. They are unbelievable. The new DG Spinner is also legit. Feels awesome!

Today I had 7 chances to hit the 54 or 58 into the green....6 of the 7 occasions I hit it inside of 12 feet....and I’m never that good with the wedges...spin was consistent and ball was stopping on a dime.

I’m a 4.2 index and that’s only cause I hit 85%-90% fairways and have maybe one 3 putt every 3 to 4 rounds. I’m the king of “double from the fairway”.....these clubs are the real deal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am sold on the Zipcores.  I just added the 54* to my bag as well.  I was a little unsure about the DG Spinner shaft.  It is a little softer feel than the KBS shafts in my other wedges, but starting to get the feel of it.  I might be adding a 50* as well.  Great feel and performance.  Cleveland has done a great job with this one.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:20 PM, QuigleyDU said:

These are really really good!! Super impressed.

And, it’s ok to have mode than one friends. Lol ? will be getting the es21 as well.

My current (now previous) wedges are trashed and I have some playing to do. So I wanted to switch them out right away.

These look really great, still wondering if the new design is actually helping with lowering launch angle.  You and I are both looking forward to Zip Core vs. ES21.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1