2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Shafts

GolfProTJ

> @nova6868 said:

> I recommend just trying the Modus 115 wedge shaft. The name is misleading, it weighs 122 grams.

This is why I went with the 115. It has plenty of weight, stiff enough but has a little more feel than the 125. They are great wedges shafts. Neither one is boardy but I prefer the 115(122)...

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @mesomike said:

> Anyone know what the difference would be between the modus 125 wedge shaft, and the wedge shaft from a set of modus 125 shafts. I know the actual 125 wedge shaft is an x stiff, but I see the new slate blue vokey has a stiff 125 modus wedge shaft. Confusing. I know.

The EI profiles of the two shafts are slightly different with the 125 Iron being a bit softer in the mid section, also they have different weights.

Modus 125 Iron (37.0") - 128.5g (Stiff Flex)

~ [Nippon Iron EI Profiles](https://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus125_j.png "Nippon Iron EI Profiles")

Modus 125 Wedge (37.0") - 133g (Wedge Flex)

~ [Nippon Wedge EI Profiles](https://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus-wedge_h.png "Nippon Wedge EI Profiles")

From a fitting perspective typically you want to go a little heavier in the wedge then the iron shafts you play.

~ If you play the Modus 105 Iron shafts S or X, then look at the 105 Wedge (111g) first.

~ If you play the Modus 120 Iron shafts in S or X, then look at the 115 Wedge (122g) first.

~ If you play the Modus 120 TX Iron shafts, Modus 125 S or X iron shafts or 130 S or X iron shafts then look at the 125 Wedge (133g) first.

~ If you are in a Regular flex iron shaft the Modus Wedge 105, 115 & 125 have roughly stiff flex, so they may play too stout for you and you might want to look at a different shaft.

• Like 2

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

> @jmiller2 said:

> > @mesomike said:

> > Anyone know what the difference would be between the modus 125 wedge shaft, and the wedge shaft from a set of modus 125 shafts. I know the actual 125 wedge shaft is an x stiff, but I see the new slate blue vokey has a stiff 125 modus wedge shaft. Confusing. I know.

>

>

> The EI profiles of the two shafts are slightly different with the 125 Iron being a bit softer in the mid section, also they have different weights.

> Modus 125 Iron (37.0") - 128.5g (Stiff Flex)

> ~ [Nippon Iron EI Profiles](https://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus125_j.png "Nippon Iron EI Profiles")

>

> Modus 125 Wedge (37.0") - 133g (Wedge Flex)

> ~ [Nippon Wedge EI Profiles](https://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus-wedge_h.png "Nippon Wedge EI Profiles")

>

>

> From a fitting perspective typically you want to go a little heavier in the wedge then the iron shafts you play.

> ~ If you play the Modus 105 Iron shafts S or X, then look at the 105 Wedge (111g) first.

> ~ If you play the Modus 120 Iron shafts in S or X, then look at the 115 Wedge (122g) first.

> ~ If you play the Modus 120 TX Iron shafts, Modus 125 S or X iron shafts or 130 S or X iron shafts then look at the 125 Wedge (133g) first.

> ~ If you are in a Regular flex iron shaft the Modus Wedge 105, 115 & 125 have roughly stiff flex, so they may play too stout for you and you might want to look at a different shaft.

I completely agree with this assessment.

I'm currently playing 115 Wedge in the 50 and 56 then the 125 Wedge in the 60. My previous set of 716 AP2's were in Modus 120S and the set up worked well. Currently playing 718 AP2's in PX LZ 6.0 and the set up still works well. I'd just caution about putting one of the Wedge shafts into a gap wedge as it seems a bit unpredictable under a full swing. Otherwise it's great for the partial and feel shots.

> @bcsquare said:

> > @jmiller2 said:

> > > @mesomike said:

> > > Anyone know what the difference would be between the modus 125 wedge shaft, and the wedge shaft from a set of modus 125 shafts. I know the actual 125 wedge shaft is an x stiff, but I see the new slate blue vokey has a stiff 125 modus wedge shaft. Confusing. I know.

> >

> >

> > The EI profiles of the two shafts are slightly different with the 125 Iron being a bit softer in the mid section, also they have different weights.

> > Modus 125 Iron (37.0") - 128.5g (Stiff Flex)

> > ~ [Nippon Iron EI Profiles](https://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus125_j.png "Nippon Iron EI Profiles")

> >

> > Modus 125 Wedge (37.0") - 133g (Wedge Flex)

> > ~ [Nippon Wedge EI Profiles](https://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus-wedge_h.png "Nippon Wedge EI Profiles")

> >

> >

> > From a fitting perspective typically you want to go a little heavier in the wedge then the iron shafts you play.

> > ~ If you play the Modus 105 Iron shafts S or X, then look at the 105 Wedge (111g) first.

> > ~ If you play the Modus 120 Iron shafts in S or X, then look at the 115 Wedge (122g) first.

> > ~ If you play the Modus 120 TX Iron shafts, Modus 125 S or X iron shafts or 130 S or X iron shafts then look at the 125 Wedge (133g) first.

> > ~ If you are in a Regular flex iron shaft the Modus Wedge 105, 115 & 125 have roughly stiff flex, so they may play too stout for you and you might want to look at a different shaft.

>

> I completely agree with this assessment.

>

> I'm currently playing 115 Wedge in the 50 and 56 then the 125 Wedge in the 60. My previous set of 716 AP2's were in Modus 120S and the set up worked well. Currently playing 718 AP2's in PX LZ 6.0 and the set up still works well. I'd just caution about putting one of the Wedge shafts into a gap wedge as it seems a bit unpredictable under a full swing. Otherwise it's great for the partial and feel shots.

>

I agree. I'm going to get my set straight when I order new wedges. Currently I have a mis-matched gap wedge with a KBS Tour S - 120 as opposed to the rest of my set at KBS Tour S+ - 125 and then Nippon Modus 125 Wedge shafts in my sand and lob.

I'm going to change over to a gap and sand wedge with the Modus 115 wedge, and the Modus 125 in my lob wedge.

> @Crooksc17 said:

> I have the 125 wedge shaft and it’s been fantastic. Does anything know what iron shaft has the closest bend profile to the 125 wedge shaft? Looks like the Modus 125 is the closest Nippon shaft but is there a non-Nippon shaft that is comparable?

Outside of the Nippon shaft line you are looking for a more "traditional" bend profile, off the top of my head the closest I can think of are these shafts:

* Dynamic Gold TI

* Dynamic Gold (Original)

* Dynamic Gold AMT TI

* Dynamic Gold AMT White

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

Of all the clubs, I thought I was safe just buying a stock wedge setup. Just bought a 46* and 58* Vokey SM7 with the stock S200 shaft @ 130g I believe. Now I am hearing these Modus 125 stories and it's making me want to try them out. Ugh.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

> @300_Straight said:

> Of all the clubs, I thought I was safe just buying a stock wedge setup. Just bought a 46* and 58* Vokey SM7 with the stock S200 shaft @ 130g I believe. Now I am hearing these Modus 125 stories and it's making me want to try them out. Ugh.

I'd try it only in the 58* to start. A 125 in the 46* might be too much, unless you're a very hard swinger with a PW.

• Like 1

> @gsrjc said:

> > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > @gsrjc said:

> > > I run 115 in my 50 degree and the 125 in my 55 and 60 degree wedges. Feels great.

> >

> > Hmm. Considering a similar setup. Is there much of a difference in your opinion?

>

> Not really actually.

>

How so? Just no difference in flight/feel/weight overall?

> @DatSliceDoe said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > @gsrjc said:

> > > > I run 115 in my 50 degree and the 125 in my 55 and 60 degree wedges. Feels great.

> > >

> > > Hmm. Considering a similar setup. Is there much of a difference in your opinion?

> >

> > Not really actually.

> >

>

> How so? Just no difference in flight/feel/weight overall?

To me I couldn’t feel the weight different because my swing weights are D6 which might be heavier than normal for folks. Flight was normal for me but I’m already a high ball hitter. I think perhaps the shorter 55 and 60 degree for me compensated for the overall weight but I doubt it. I run Edel wedges which are smooth already. I’m generally good at feeling differences in shafts but in this case I couldn’t tell.

> @gsrjc said:

> > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > @gsrjc said:

> > > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > > @gsrjc said:

> > > > > I run 115 in my 50 degree and the 125 in my 55 and 60 degree wedges. Feels great.

> > > >

> > > > Hmm. Considering a similar setup. Is there much of a difference in your opinion?

> > >

> > > Not really actually.

> > >

> >

> > How so? Just no difference in flight/feel/weight overall?

>

> To me I couldn’t feel the weight different because my swing weights are D6 which might be heavier than normal for folks. Flight was normal for me but I’m already a high ball hitter. I think perhaps the shorter 55 and 60 degree for me compensated for the overall weight but I doubt it. I run Edel wedges which are smooth already. I’m generally good at feeling differences in shafts but in this case I couldn’t tell.

>

Gotcha. I'm basically gonna order this month I believe. I'm going to go 115 in the pw/sw and 125 in my lw. I rarely hit a full lw.

• 3 months later...

What are you playing in your irons? I am playing Modus 120 S in my irons and S400 in my RTX4 wedges but want to possible change to a 115 wedge shaft for my 50 as well. Is there a big difference between the iron shafts and the wedge shaft?

> @gsrjc said:

> I run 115 in my 50 degree and the 125 in my 55 and 60 degree wedges. Feels great.

• 1 month later...

> @GolfProTJ said:

> I've always played DG-S400 or the DG-S200 in my wedges! Anyone have any feedback on the 125 modus? Is it worth the change........heard fly hey feel as smooth as there iron shafts!

>

>

>

>

>

> Thx,

>

>

>

> Tj

I've used S200, S400 and modus 125 in wedges. To me, s200 and s400 feel identical other than s400 is heavier. The butt OD maybe feels a little larger in hand with S400. Modus 125 is definitely smoother and I think the balance point is a bit different (higher toward handle) but I can't say that for sure.

For a wedge where it's mostly used for partial shots, chips, bunker etc, I prefer modus 125, then S400, then S200. If you like a little bit lighter shaft, wedge 115 is very smooth also. Keep in mind wedge 115 is about 120g and wedge 125 is 130g.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the thread revival.

I’m looking at new wedge shaft for my GW, SW, and LW. My irons have the Modus3 Tour 125x but soft-stepped once. I often take full swings with all my wedges.

Im asking for some input about which wedge shaft I should go for; the 115 or the 125?

Thanks in advance for your inputs...

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

There is no hard and fast rule but I use Modus 120 for my irons and Modus Wedge 115 for the wedges. I have seen a few Modus 120 iron users go with Modus Wedge 125 as well. 125 might be better for you because 115s are significantly lighter, which I personally prefer. Like a magic wand around the greens :)

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

125 Wedge in GW thru LW.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

Ya, I’m not loving the way my GW feels and performs.

I think I’ll be trying the 125’s then...

Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2019 at 1:13 AM, jmiller2 said:

> @mesomike said:

> Anyone know what the difference would be between the modus 125 wedge shaft, and the wedge shaft from a set of modus 125 shafts. I know the actual 125 wedge shaft is an x stiff, but I see the new slate blue vokey has a stiff 125 modus wedge shaft. Confusing. I know.

The EI profiles of the two shafts are slightly different with the 125 Iron being a bit softer in the mid section, also they have different weights.

Modus 125 Iron (37.0") - 128.5g (Stiff Flex)

~ [Nippon Iron EI Profiles](https://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus125_j.png "Nippon Iron EI Profiles")

Modus 125 Wedge (37.0") - 133g (Wedge Flex)

~ [Nippon Wedge EI Profiles](https://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus-wedge_h.png "Nippon Wedge EI Profiles")

From a fitting perspective typically you want to go a little heavier in the wedge then the iron shafts you play.

~ If you play the Modus 105 Iron shafts S or X, then look at the 105 Wedge (111g) first.

~ If you play the Modus 120 Iron shafts in S or X, then look at the 115 Wedge (122g) first.

~ If you play the Modus 120 TX Iron shafts, Modus 125 S or X iron shafts or 130 S or X iron shafts then look at the 125 Wedge (133g) first.

~ If you are in a Regular flex iron shaft the Modus Wedge 105, 115 & 125 have roughly stiff flex, so they may play too stout for you and you might want to look at a different shaft.

Exactly the information i was looking for. Thanks for this.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star