Maltby TS2

Popeye64

You can put in those foam dampeners. they soften the feel.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Have played about 10 rounds with my TS2’s 5-PW with KBS Tour S+, TS1 GW, TSW 54 and 58 wedges, KE4 Tour TC hybrid, 4 wood and Driver. Loving this setup and have shot my best rounds. Need to dial in yardages a little still but seems like I found a great setup for years to come. I also need to practice more but have a 6 week old that’s really cramping my style :)

I'm super conflicted on what to order. I was all set to order last night and then re-read the entire thread and was debating the dmb, and ts-2, but now It's between the ts-1 and ts2. I am a sweeper, and err on the side of more forgiveness, misses are thin and out on the toe. my current irons and ones i've used in the past were similar soles to the ts2's so i'm thinking they will be just fine. I'm thinking just going all in on the ts-2 5-gw w/dg105's. i like the mid-weight shafts and read a lot of what @DFinch was saying, i want to avoid the left side as much as possible as well as bring my flight down, so thinking of going x100. driver ss of 108ish with a medium to fast tempo. not smooth by any stretch of the imagination though. Thoughts?
Also going to pair that up with the tsw wedges in 52/56 and ke4 tour tc driver and tc hybrid.

Changing...

Finally built my TSW 60*, very nice looking wedge. Matches perfectly with TS1 set if you are into set matching (I've had 3 different brand wedges so not a requirement for me, but certainly looks nice).

It has a wide sole, but relatively low bounce (6* stated bounce). I have a regular K grind, and I would imagine this is very similar to a low bounce K grind. I've only hit it off simulator turf, but like it so far.

MEVO is easily the best value in LMs / shot sensors / swing analyzers, etc... I have a MEVO and MEVO+ and I'm seriously considering keeping the MEVO. That's how good it is.

The one thing that's keeping the MEVO+ around is that I heard they built in a feature to use the calibration camera as a swing video recorder. The video editing feature that matches up your data with video of the swing that produced it is genius.

So far the Mevo has been excellent. Distances seem to be a bit low but they are consistent. But im more concerned with ballspeed and spin rates. I have not hit from a mat or quality turf. So its not quite a fair assement yet. The local range has garbage turf thats hard to hit an iron from.

Its very easy to use and as long as you set it up right it records almost every ball. Syncs well with the phone and there is a ton of data to view. I just have not yet figured out if I can transfer data.

• Like 1

Almost had an all Maltby bag but an upstart TM is king of the FW woods. 3 Sim Ti is a laser guided missile. Scary distance witj accuracy. Here is the rest of the bag.

20200727-233141.jpg

20200727-233119.jpgKE4 TC Xcal Pro T6☆ S

FDI 2 Hy Xcal Rapid Taper 75g S

PTM Blacks 4-Gw Xcal PRO X 85g S

TSW 52-56 Xcal Spin Wedges 100g S

Top to bottom best bag I've had in a long time.

I’m also very conflicted.

I had a set of DMB’s. Never got them on a Trackman, but I’m sure they were spinning too much. Partial shots were tough to hit for me. An easy swing on an approach shot would come up 15-20 yards short of target, and I could never figure out why.

Bought a set of the Black MMB’s, and had my fair share of again, partial shots, that I would just hit so fat.

I now have a set of JPX 919 Hot Metals. Have 3 rounds on them. I like the look. But, hit a ball out of the rough, especially down wind, good luck stopping it.

I do like the DMB finish on the Maltby irons. I lost out on a set of MMB’s last night. I was going to give them another shot.

Tell me about these PTM’s. They really look slim in some pictures on the bay. I don’t mind a longer blade length. I’m sure the sole is thinner than what I’m playing now. And I see there is a little front edge relief.

How soft do these feel? They must be super forgiving, the cavity looks big. Do I give another shot to a 3rd set of DMB finished Maltby heads??

I'm not as good of a reviewer as Popeye so I'll let him tell you but I can say these are the best irons I've had. I put some sting stopper inserts in the shafts before I put the grips on and they are by far the softest irons I have ever played. I'm a 9-13 handicap at any given time if that gives you some context about the forgiveness and playability. I'm pretty sure Popeye said the PTMs were a little bit bigger and easier to play than the MMBs. I liked the look of the PTMs better than the DMBs. The PTMs seem to spin but not too much for me. They hit the green and are either a few feet past where they hit or spun back a foot. Nothing crazy. If you have access to Ping i210's the PTMs are the exact same size. That is what I had before going with the PTMs

• Like 1

Plot thickens.... Picked up the KE4 TC Tour driver and 4 wood (BST). Only 2 non-Maltby clubs remaining ?‍♂️. After quick driving range session and 9 holes, I think I finally found a wood I feel comfortable with. The driver is not too shabby, either. I didn’t play with the settings, but the Neutral produced very encouraging results.

e847f396-fa38-4cb1-a34b-687a394a9a9d.jpeg

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Ok....... PTM Blacks are the best all around iron i have every played. Period.

For me being a digger I wanted to love the MMB Blacks and if i only played on elite turf they are perfect. But i play a lot of burnt up Muni golf and I need a relieved sole grind. I would hit fat shot after fat shot. With the PTM thats near impossible for me. On any par 3 they are so turf friendly I don't use a tee.

The top line is thinner like a players club and looking down, the head looks on the larger side but its not any bigger than the TS series. They do have a taller toe and thats part of the over all forgiveness. As long as you don't hit them high on the face they feel great all the time. Not a mushy marshmallow soft but a... Yah I crushed that ball feel.

Distance consistency is stellar. I have them paired to the PRO X Xcalibers 85g S flex. A wildly underrated shaft by the way. I get drop, hop and stop performance on every iron even the 5 iron. At most its 2' forward. Lofts are 4° from each other and gapping is perfect. I feel as if I always have just the right club. Also they are very easy to hit a tiny tight little draw. Knock downs are easy. I can hit a fade with them but they mostly just like to go straight. They also have this freakish ability to hit a straight ball from a down hill side hill lie.... for me thats nuts.

I shot a -3 today and it was an honest round as I'm preping for a huge tournament for Friday. If I blow up its not my gear as these are truly the best all around iron for me.

The TEs are a legacy iron for Golfworks. They just keep selling!!!

They have a smaller footprint and a thin topline. The COG is one of the lowest in golf and certainly for a players iron by a mile. You almost need to be a sweeper to use them. The sole is wide with a lot of weight in them. Hit these on the button and its one of the best feeling irons ever.

If you already hit a high ball you won't like them. They have good forgiveness and minimal offset. There isn't much for modern tech and the lofts won't help your ego.

I have a full set that a customer backed out on and im not sure what im gonna do with them. Ill sell them eventually as when someone likes them... they love them.