Tour AD-VR - My Early Experience

MysteryV

So picked up a VR recently to test in my G400 Max head (coming from a Tensei PO at 45.5"). I've played the DI in my 3 wood, 5 wood, and hybrid for quite some time, and really like the profile.

While I love my PO (which won out over the Fuji Evo V after quite a bit of range and on-course testing), I recently brought out the old Epic with a Tour AD-TP, and was consistently 10+ yards longer than my GMax with the PO. That said, it was definitely a bit less consistent for me, which I attributed to the head.

Rather than get the TP retipped, I found a VR on BST, gave it a shot, and am quite pleased with the results. While the VR plays at 45 versus the 45.5 of the PO, it's been a few yards longer on average for me, which significantly less variance in dispersion. It has the smooth feel that you'd expect from a GD shaft, and a mid / mid-high trajectory as advertised. The one thing that I miss from the PO is the distinctive kick that I felt when I put a good swing on the ball, however that kick really only came with my best swings whereas the VR's smoother profile seems a bit more forgiving when something goes awry.

I'd add that the looks of the VR are absolutely top notch. The blue and white color scheme looks extremely sharp, and way better in person than in pictures.

In my first round with it yesterday, I was hitting absolute bombs (by my standards), and was a good 30 yards past friends who usually hit the ball about the same distance (on good strikes). It was fun to hear them make excuses like "you must have hit the firm part of the fairway and got a good bounce and then some roll on that downslope - I hit this thick stuff and just stopped."

If you're a fan of the GD feel, the VR is a fantastic iteration, and an absolute winner both in the hands of a hack like me (who also coincidentally shot hit career best score with it the first time out (though caveat - it was an extremely easy par 70 course)) - and in the hands of a pro like Brooke Henderson.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Nice review! I always find it interesting to see how very different shafts perform for people that are sensitive to such things. The AD-VR and the Pro Orange are quite different in terms of profile and it makes sense that one would suit someone more over the other. If you grabbed the spot in which the Pro Orange would appear to load the most in the EI profile and uniformly softened that area for easier loading, you would have the AD-VR. The stiffer handle of the VR may also feel more comfortable to some in transition and could lead to a better release and more clubhead speed. That is what experimenting is good for!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Thanks! I really, really love my PO - and will almost certainly come back to both it and the Evo for further testing. I've been doing a lot of work on my swing recently, and it continues to be a work in progress. I have no doubt that as my swing changes, my optimal shaft will change as well.

Interestingly enough, I never really thought of myself as particularly shaft sensitive until recently where I started to be able to really feel the kick of the PO on good swings, and lack thereof on bad ones. The most surprising part of all of my recent testing has been that, regardless of shaft, I cannot get my LST head to work for the life of me! The balls just fall out of the air and I lose 20 - 50 yards regardless of shaft / loft. It's SHOCKING how poorly it performs for my swing (though I'm admittedly a low spin player with the driver).

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I love the VR.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

> @MysteryV said:

> Thanks! I really, really love my PO - and will almost certainly come back to both it and the Evo for further testing. I've been doing a lot of work on my swing recently, and it continues to be a work in progress. I have no doubt that as my swing changes, my optimal shaft will change as well.

>

> Interestingly enough, I never really thought of myself as particularly shaft sensitive until recently where I started to be able to really feel the kick of the PO on good swings, and lack thereof on bad ones. The most surprising part of all of my recent testing has been that, regardless of shaft, I cannot get my LST head to work for the life of me! The balls just fall out of the air and I lose 20 - 50 yards regardless of shaft / loft. It's SHOCKING how poorly it performs for my swing (though I'm admittedly a low spin player with the driver).

If you are a low spin guy then that tracks as well since that tends to imply high/slightly toe side contact, which aside from moving strike location is remedied by using a higher MOI driver, of which you are using one of the highest. Increasing MOI will decrease spin reduction on "low spin" strikes so you're definitely using the right tool there.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

> @Valtiel said:

> > @MysteryV said:

> > Thanks! I really, really love my PO - and will almost certainly come back to both it and the Evo for further testing. I've been doing a lot of work on my swing recently, and it continues to be a work in progress. I have no doubt that as my swing changes, my optimal shaft will change as well.

> >

> > Interestingly enough, I never really thought of myself as particularly shaft sensitive until recently where I started to be able to really feel the kick of the PO on good swings, and lack thereof on bad ones. The most surprising part of all of my recent testing has been that, regardless of shaft, I cannot get my LST head to work for the life of me! The balls just fall out of the air and I lose 20 - 50 yards regardless of shaft / loft. It's SHOCKING how poorly it performs for my swing (though I'm admittedly a low spin player with the driver).

>

> If you are a low spin guy then that tracks as well since that tends to imply high/slightly toe side contact, which aside from moving strike location is remedied by using a higher MOI driver, of which you are using one of the highest. Increasing MOI will decrease spin reduction on "low spin" strikes so you're definitely using the right tool there.

You absolutely nailed that one. My (extremely frequent) miss is high tow. Well played sir.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

> @MysteryV said:

> > @Valtiel said:

> > > @MysteryV said:

> > > Thanks! I really, really love my PO - and will almost certainly come back to both it and the Evo for further testing. I've been doing a lot of work on my swing recently, and it continues to be a work in progress. I have no doubt that as my swing changes, my optimal shaft will change as well.

> > >

> > > Interestingly enough, I never really thought of myself as particularly shaft sensitive until recently where I started to be able to really feel the kick of the PO on good swings, and lack thereof on bad ones. The most surprising part of all of my recent testing has been that, regardless of shaft, I cannot get my LST head to work for the life of me! The balls just fall out of the air and I lose 20 - 50 yards regardless of shaft / loft. It's SHOCKING how poorly it performs for my swing (though I'm admittedly a low spin player with the driver).

> >

> > If you are a low spin guy then that tracks as well since that tends to imply high/slightly toe side contact, which aside from moving strike location is remedied by using a higher MOI driver, of which you are using one of the highest. Increasing MOI will decrease spin reduction on "low spin" strikes so you're definitely using the right tool there.

>

> You absolutely nailed that one. My (extremely frequent) miss is high tow. Well played sir.

Hah, well you certainly have one of the best drivers to help with that! Should you ever feel like taking the experimentation further, shortening your playing length and adding more weight to the back of the G400 MAX will further increase it's MOI and will bring your spin up a bit on high toe strikes to keep them from knuckling. That is of course if a shorter playing length is something you want to try.

Bridgestone 

It wasn't super clear from my write up - but the VR is actually 0.5" shorter than my previous shaft - and so far, so good. I'm going to get the tip replaced soon so that it sits a little more nicely in the head as, unfortunately, the shaft came with a counterfeit Ping adapter (which obviously irritates the hell out of me). Will make nominally shorter as well.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I love the VR.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've been posting about the VR in my WITB thread. It's a STELLAR shaft and the hype is starting to build around GD's new offerings. I also agree on the aesthetics, easily one of the coolest looking shafts I've seen in a long time. They aren't cheap but if you can find one for a good price GRAB IT!!!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• 6 months later...

I just pulled the trigger on a VR 7x for the driver. What has been everyone’s experience with tipping these shafts? Will tipping these actually soften up the tip like the GP? Or is that a myth?

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a VR 6s for my Sim Max. Most say it plays like the IZ. Hope so. Replacing an experiment with AD DI 5s after using the 6s before that and the IZ.

Will be going against Aldila MSI 130 shafts too. I am just a GD AD guy.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I actually tried an IZ 7x in my SIM Max, but I just don't have the swing speed for it. Currently playing the Ventus 6s, but was fit into a IZ 7s for the SIM, so may try to sell / trade the 7x.

In my limited experience, the DI feels a lot more active than the IZ, which is kinda boardy. The TP is somewhere between the the DI and IZ in terms of feel, while the VR is between the DI and TP.

Again, TOTALLY subjective, but to me in terms of "active" feeling it's DI VR TP IZ from least to most boardy. Somehow, all feel smooth, and I have yet to sell any GD shaft - even if they're gathering dust. I just kinda love them (even though I'm playing the Ventus in the driver).

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

• 5 months later...

I just ordered another one. I gamed it at the end of last year and loved it. But sold it for some dumb reason or another. Dispersion was tight and feel was smooth. Looking forward to trying it in my M5.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

• 1 year later...