2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Leather Grips? Who is using and what do you think

granata10

Believe me, the stitching of the BestGrip Microperf will become less noticeable in time. I, too, am a former round grip player. I also close or open the blade to produce the shots I want so a round grip is essential for me. I have no issues doing this with the Microperf. I absolutely LOVE this grip.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

whats the weather like, if its cold and dry where you are, then that may contribute. if its hot and sweaty, they should always feel tacky because of the moisture on your hands

Otherwise, there is no harm wiping them with a wet towel during the round, i will do that as often as I can remember too which is not often enough.

If these grips are new, you might wanna take them back as the seem like they are broken. Its possible they are really old stock and air got to them.

The other day I tried Harry's method of using painter's tape, WD40, contact cement and air-less installation. It took a bit of effort but the grips went on. I ended up weighing the irons based on a 258g 5 iron and 7g separation between irons. This equated to a finished swing weight around D4 or so. That is too much weight for me. I removed the shafts (not grips) and reweighed the irons until I got just over D2 for the 4 iron through 8 iron, 9 iron and PW are D2.5. The shafts and irons were cleaned and prepped, each shaft weighted accordingly, and epoxied them back to the iron heads. That said, I blew off the grips for the 4-PW and they came off relatively easy. I reinstalled them with 3 wraps of painter's tape on the shafts and used Brampton's HF100 grip solvent and contact cement and air (I have an inexpensive pancake air compressor and air grip tool). This is by far the easiest method of installing a leather wrap grip I have used.

I used to use double sided tape and this created a huge issue removing the grips when I was done with a club. I generally sold irons/woods with the BestGrips microperf grip still installed. This has proved to be rather expensive. Using the painter's tape and contact cement I can easily remove the grip with air so I will be able to reuse the grips. That might not be so great for Zach and BestGrips in the future. That said, I love the BestGrips product and have ever since I first met Harry (via phone) back in 2006. After meeting Harry, Miss Susan and Zach and seeing the passion they have with the product I will always have a BestGrips leather grip on my clubs. Of course expect for my putter as I have a cork grip on it.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I prefer the sewn back of the Gripmasters and their underlisting. I generally like the feel of the Best Grips leather better. I wish they would create a sewn grip instead of stitchbacks and move to a standard underlisting instead of their "+4" lower hand.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

I am all for extra options. Would like Zach to release leather wraps with increased frequency so I could outfit my adjustable fairways.

As I read your post I was thinking that these are the reasons that I like Best Grip leathers (feel, tack, stitchback and wider bottom hand). Different strokes.

Quite fond of the feel and performance of GM Roos as well.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Yes, they can. I just did this. It takes a little effort but this method works. Air is much easier with this method, for what it’s worth.

Has anyone received any correspondence from Best Grips recently? I sent them a web inquiry and an email early last week and have not received any response.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

During the hot & humid summers here in VA, I sweat a ton. I'm talking sweat pouring down my arms, soaked through my shirt and shorts. Over the years I've tried it all. Rain gloves, corded grips, wet towel to wipe grips, pouring cold water over my hands. I've had my best luck with the cold water, wet towel, & utx grips.

Recently I decided to try some leather grips based on all the reviews. I ordered 2 bestgrip microperfs. They arrived and I immediately installed them on my driver & hi-toe. I've played 45 holes with them in some crazy hot & humid weather and they are nothing short of amazing. Everything that's been said is true, they just get tackier as it gets hotter. I'm sold; I'm ordering enough to regrip all my clubs. I think one of the guys in my group is planning on ordering some too

I have best grips MicroPerf on my irons and the stitched wraps on my woods. I tried the roo from gripmaster but preferred the stitching on the best grips.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/6/2020 at 5:47 PM, granata10 said:

How / where do you add the contact cement? Does it make it tough to pull the grips when you want to put them on another club?

Get yourself one of those air-needle/nozzles
Put regular masking tape on shaft (if thin tape use 2 layers)
Put a generous amount of contact cement on 1" of the butt end of the tape (all around, some may drip that's OK)

put needle in hole at end of grip.
Alip grip end over shaft

blow the air and push grip on. the Cement will act as a lubricant and get blown down the shaft to the end of the grip.

Done, wipe up excess from end of grip and leave alone for 3hrs.
If you ever want to change grip or put on a different club just blow the grip off.

20 hours ago, maamold said:

Get yourself one of those air-needle/nozzles
Put regular masking tape on shaft (if thin tape use 2 layers)
Put a generous amount of contact cement on 1" of the butt end of the tape (all around, some may drip that's OK)

put needle in hole at end of grip.
Alip grip end over shaft

blow the air and push grip on. the Cement will act as a lubricant and get blown down the shaft to the end of the grip.

Done, wipe up excess from end of grip and leave alone for 3hrs.
If you ever want to change grip or put on a different club just blow the grip off.

Agree!  This is the simplest method of installing a grip!

• 1 month later...

So these require "Contact Cement"?  I'm on the fence with trying these, but this is off-putting.  

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

1 minute ago, halliedog said:

So these require "Contact Cement"?  I'm on the fence with trying these, but this is off-putting.  

They don't require contact cement, it is just recommended if you want to save the grips and move them to another club at a later time, If you have no intention of ever doing that that then use standard grip tape and Brampton's.

I don't see contact cement as off putting. Masking tape, a bit of contact cement spread around on the end of the shaft, blow the grip on. All the cement does is ease the installation and add a bit of tack between the tape and the elastomer underlast material.

I've always used a very mild soap/water solution from a spray bottle when doing air installs. I'm curious about the use of contact cement. Those of you that have used it, can you hit the clubs immediately or do you give it 30 mins or so to setup?

With my process I can hit them as soon as I can get out the door.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

30 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I've always used a very mild soap/water solution from a spray bottle when doing air installs. I'm curious about the use of contact cement. Those of you that have used it, can you hit the clubs immediately or do you give it 30 mins or so to setup?

BT

I don't use contact cement either.  Painters Tape + VM&P Naptha and blow them on.  Very easy on and off.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternate set: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

15 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

BT

I can usually hit them pretty quick if they dry in a warm place. The reason I use a bit of contact cement is to lubricate as the grip is blown on and then it adds tack between the masking tape and the elastomer underlast when dry. But it pops right off with air, just remember to get the tape all the way under the grip, contact cement adheres surprisingly well to steel shafts and makes it harder to blow off. 

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking of ordering some Grip Master Roos tonight.  I'm currently in an apartment so for ease of install will likely use double-sided tape and solvent and see how it goes?  If they end up being anywhere like the grips on my original hand-me-down Dad's set of Spaulding Top Flite Elites I'll love them.  If not I'll cut them off and move on.  Great information in this thread though!

• Like 1

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2021 at 8:45 AM, Ri_Redneck said:

BT

BT, what sort of soap are you using in your solution?

Just did my first air install with painters tape on a couple Lamkins, used a hint of solvent to get them started.  Curious about the soap method, which I'd prefer using with leather; like to avoid the problem of solvent getting in the leather.  🙂

Thank you, sir   <tip cap>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

BT, what sort of soap are you using in your solution?

Just did my first air install with painters tape on a couple Lamkins, used a hint of solvent to get them started.  Curious about the soap method, which I'd prefer using with leather; like to avoid the problem of solvent getting in the leather.  🙂

Thank you, sir   <tip cap>

I use a few drops of Dawn, but I expect any dishwashing soap would do. I put about 3-4 drops in a quart spray bottle and shake the heck out of it before using. I spray a liberal amount into the grip, cover the openings and shake it around good for about 45 seconds. Then while holding the grip with the b u t t end still covered, I spray a light coating on the painters tape, dump the soapy water out of the grip into the trash and then go right onto the club. You have to spray the tape just before starting the grip on because if you wait too long, it will cause the tape to start letting go of the shaft.

BT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bestgrips are the best.  I have grips that are 4 years old, still going strong.  Can’t count the number of clubs they’ve been on at this point.  

I install them with just painters tape and air.  No solvents or contact cement.  50psi of air and they slide on great.

Bestgrips are hand-stitched in Conroe, TX and you can talk to the owner anytime.  As stated earlier, the Sewill clan are great folks and customer service is stellar.  

He also makes the nicest custom head covers I’ve ever used.

Edited by kgk
  • Like 1

Never tried Bestgrips but love my grip master Roo. Used for a full season and still feels amazing. Tackiness is there after some warm water wipe down. Never felt the need to use soap. Only problem with these grips is I can’t club twirl and pretend I’m tiger woods. 😂 

Some people complained about them being slick. I ruined a couple grips when pulling with solvent. If you get a lot of solvent on the grip it will remove the tack and become slick. So far I have not been able to restore the tackiness once it’s removed with solvent. 

I use an air compressor to install my grips now. Just make sure you add a touch of solvent inside the tip of grip to help it slide in easier. The friction from air do rip the rubber apart at the tip which makes it look ugly. 

Edited by llaw999

• 2 weeks later...

An update on my leather grip journey...

Bought an air compressor in the last few weeks (California Air Tools, reasonably quiet, thanks to those who recommended their products), finally got around to reshafting a set of irons with Recoil Proto 125.  Installed leather grips over the last couple days with the compressor, using painters tape and the contact cement method demonstrated in the Best Grips install video.  Once I figured out what I was doing, went fairly well.

GripMaster Roo were my choice for this particular set.  Put them on the irons, GW & SW, 2 hybrid, and driver.  Have a new shaft curing in an adapter for my 3w, will install leather once it's ready.

I've also used Best Grips Microperfs, and will probably buy a set of those for the other iron reshaft project I have on tap.  Was pleasantly surprised playing my set with two Microperfs in the cooler weather a month ago, the tack was still nicely in play.

Looking forward to finally not worrying about clubs slipping during the summer humidity....

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 5/6/2020 at 10:46 AM, coops said:

In the past used Gripmaster, now all my clubs are Bestgrip Microperf.

Leather is fantastic - and not only last longer, but you don't need to wear a glove which also makes them good value in the long term. (I'm in Thailand, so it's 30 degC or thereabouts and high humidity pretty much all the time... and don't bother with or need a glove)

I have a rib installed underneath the Microperf grip, in line with the stitching... and on top of the club shaft, so it sits in the v between thumb and forefinger. Without the rib, the stitched seam is barely noticeable I'd say, and they do offer a wrap version now I believe.

me too.Its  35c here  my only concern is the  1/2 inch  at the top of the grip.Dont know whether to use that bit or grip down