2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

** OFFICIAL REVIEW: MITSUBISHI MMT Iron Shafts ***** FINAL REVIEW Post #2 is UP

J13

Are you sure? If they were parallel tips I would agree but taper makes me uncertain as the butt is the stiffest part.

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

Yea, if it is a driver shaft or a parallel tip because they have areas intended for flex change. But I think that with taper tip the butt end is more of importance as that is the stiffest part of the shaft. But I might be wrong.

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

I am under the impression that it should play softer as the tip end is always softer than the butt end?

Got a chance to play the 125x and my first impression was... I think I lost a club worth of distance ?. I also had them in new heads that I hadn’t played before so I’m not sure if it was one or the other or a combination. Was coming from steel fiber 125x which I’ve been playing now for about 5 years. Going to do some more experimentation because I do like the way they feel and look and I have no problem having to swing a little harder to get the same distance as before as weird as that sounds.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 12:36 PM, shaolingolfer said:

Anyone has experience with the MMT scoring wedge shaft 105g?

Anyone?

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with VA Composites Nemesys 65s untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s tipped 1/2”

Ping G430 4 hybrid with Fujikura Ventus Blue Hybrid 10x untipped

Ping i530 5-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 50.5s, 55s, 59.5h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

2 hours ago, poppman2142 said:

Anyone?

Have the 125TX scoring wedges to go along with 105 TX irons and will let you know how it goes for me.  Love both the 125 tx and 105 tx just get slightly better numbers with 105 tx as far as spin and launch seem to be in just a little better window than the slightly lower spin and launch of the 125 for me.  I’m a lower spin player to begin with so that paired with the bridgestone BX has been a game changer for me. 

I have 125TX in irons and wedges.  They perform great throughout the bag.

On 8/5/2020 at 8:29 PM, Awainer1 said:

Got a chance to play the 125x and my first impression was... I think I lost a club worth of distance ?. I also had them in new heads that I hadn’t played before so I’m not sure if it was one or the other or a combination. Was coming from steel fiber 125x which I’ve been playing now for about 5 years. Going to do some more experimentation because I do like the way they feel and look and I have no problem having to swing a little harder to get the same distance as before as weird as that sounds.

MMT's were designed to play simliar to DGX100 so they will spin more than SF 125X.  I would also have lofts checked on the new set and compare with your previous set.  Those are two of the main reasons I can think of that you aren't hitting the ball as far.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

After playing these for about a month they are in the bag and have replaced my steelfibers. I don’t know why I was losing distance my first time out probably just an adjustment period to new shafts. They play very similarly to the SFs I think but it’s quite possible that I like the graphics much more on the MMts and they might be a little smoother. Also as has been mentioned I think they are probably less counterbalanced than the sfs. I ordered 2 more sets today in 3-p as these are my new gamers and I have a bunch of new iron heads coming. I don’t know if they are a huge breakthrough shaft or anything and that they are miles better than older heavyweight iron graphite shafts but I definitely am a fan even if it’s for the looks and nothing else. 

Edited by Awainer1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:29 PM, Awainer1 said:

I tried the MMT 125TX and noticed I lost distance with them as well, though my initial test was with different heads. I ended up building two clubs with the same specs other than the shaft. I noticed about 1000RPM more spin with the MMT 125TX over the C-Taper 130X, which confirmed that l, for my swing, MMT 125TX were not ideal. I do feel, however, I'm an outlier, as the shaft seems to work for most people. It feels great, just spins too much for me. 

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

1 minute ago, Philomathesq said:

I tried the MMT 125TX and noticed I lost distance with them as well, though my initial test was with different heads. I ended up building two clubs with the same specs other than the shaft. I noticed about 1000RPM more spin with the MMT 125TX over the C-Taper 130X, which confirmed that l, for my swing, MMT 125TX were not ideal. I do feel, however, I'm an outlier, as the shaft seems to work for most people. It feels great, just spins too much for me. 

If all else was equal I’d probably be playing a heavy stiff steel shaft too but the benefits physically and how I feel after playing outweigh the possible slight performance increase I might get from steel if any. Truth is if I’m swinging well and hitting the ball solid with my irons and all my other specs are dialed in mainly lie angles the shaft is not gonna change my score at the end of the day. 

2 hours ago, Philomathesq said:

Ctaper 130X is a LOW spinning shaft and I have no doubt MMT's spun more.  I used to play the 130X myself but had to switch due to distance inconsistencies.  I was spinning my 7 iron around 5500 rpm's which verified that accuracy was suffering due to a lack of spin.  I then switched to Modus 120TX and it was great for years until the elbow issues.   Mitsu did a great job with these but they certainly don't fit everyone (no shaft does).  As graphite continues to gain momentum we will see more and more options from OEM's.

2 hours ago, Awainer1 said:

After playing these for about a month they are in the bag and have replaced my steelfibers. I don’t know why I was losing distance my first time out probably just an adjustment period to new shafts. They play very similarly to the SFs I think but it’s quite possible that I like the graphics much more on the MMts and they might be a little smoother. Also as has been mentioned I think they are probably less counterbalanced than the sfs. I ordered 2 more sets today in 3-p as these are my new gamers and I have a bunch of new iron heads coming. I don’t know if they are a huge breakthrough shaft or anything and that they are miles better than older heavyweight iron graphite shafts but I definitely am a fan even if it’s for the looks and nothing else. 

Glad you got to the bottom of it. I saw no difference in distance from my Modus 120TX to the MMT 125TX but depending on which shaft your coming from that can certainly happen.

Edel PROTO

• 4 weeks later...

@J13 are these still in the bag? What did you go with for your wedges? I am all over the 125S dropping in OCT for sure. I have severe tennis elbow and my PX 6.0's need to go. I am a "picker" low spin guy, fast transition, 7I 164yds, 49 years old and a +2... Have you tried the hybrid shaft yet? Thanks as always....

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

14 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

@J13 are these still in the bag? What did you go with for your wedges? I am all over the 125S dropping in OCT for sure. I have severe tennis elbow and my PX 6.0's need to go. I am a "picker" low spin guy, fast transition, 7I 164yds, 49 years old and a +2... Have you tried the hybrid shaft yet? Thanks as always....

They are still in the bag in my Honma 737V's.  Love them.  I have the same shafts (MMT 125TX) in my 50*, 54* and 60*  The benefit of graphite on the joints is cumalitive and something i really noticed after a month or two of playing.  Pain slowly faded and didn't come back despite hitting a lot of balls this year.  I haven't tried the hybrid shaft but do have a MMT 125TX in my 20* driving iron and love it.  Maybe one of my favorite clubs in the bag

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

18 hours ago, J13 said:

They are still in the bag in my Honma 737V's.  Love them.  I have the same shafts (MMT 125TX) in my 50*, 54* and 60*  The benefit of graphite on the joints is cumalitive and something i really noticed after a month or two of playing.  Pain slowly faded and didn't come back despite hitting a lot of balls this year.  I haven't tried the hybrid shaft but do have a MMT 125TX in my 20* driving iron and love it.  Maybe one of my favorite clubs in the bag

Last question, do to my swing sweep you think I am on the right track for the 125 S?

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

After this and reading many others reviews I tried putting a TX 105 in my 6 iron. Initial impressions tell me its going in everything. Shot shape so far is very similar to the X100TI im replacing, which is good

• Like 1

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

30 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

Last question, do to my swing sweep you think I am on the right track for the 125 S?

Kinda hard to say without seeing your swing and numbers but I don't see why you being steep should be a problem.  It's more to do with your transition and release.

19 minutes ago, Yzmerf said:

After this and reading many others reviews I tried putting a TX 105 in my 6 iron. Initial impressions tell me its going in everything. Shot shape so far is very similar to the X100TI im replacing, which is good

Nice.  I've heard great things about the 105TX.  If i move back to a longer length iron I might put 105TX's in. 

Edel PROTO

On 9/30/2020 at 9:19 AM, J13 said:

Kinda hard to say without seeing your swing and numbers but I don't see why you being steep should be a problem.  It's more to do with your transition and release.

Nice.  I've heard great things about the 105TX.  If i move back to a longer length iron I might put 105TX's in. 

I did soft step it once, im kind of borderline. I do love the Tensei Raw blue TX in my driver though

Edited by Yzmerf

New Level SPN Milled 53 

21 hours ago, Yzmerf said:

I did soft step it once, im kind of borderline. I do love the Tensei Raw white TX in my driver though

I"m a big Mitsu fan and love their offerings top to bottom.  I haven't gotten to try the new RAW stuff yet but i'm sure i will next spring.  Season is winding down here and i'm happy with my setup at the moment.

Edel PROTO

Got to do a trackman session today. 6 Iron has the MMT and the 7 and 5 are X100TI. Did you find a bit of adjustment period. The feel isn’t different enough to justify this. By the way i think i have a broken aimer when i get on a monitor. Everything is always pushed!!

DA8762AE-7BE3-4450-81FD-2E0FE581AC9E.png

Edited by Yzmerf

New Level SPN Milled 53 

What MMT is that?

Edel PROTO

125 S not out until Nov 1st now is what I heard...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I can’t decide if I should get my 105 tx’s installed or get the 125tx instead. I play modus 120x normally and have tested the modus 105 but everything was going so high and my timing was chaotic.

So install a 125 into your favorite mid-iron and give it a go. If you like it, there's your answer. If not, you may have to hard or soft step to get your desired result. After initially trying mine straight in I decided to soft step X1 and they are now sublime. 

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

21 minutes ago, nitram said:

So install a 125 into your favorite mid-iron and give it a go. If you like it, there's your answer. If not, you may have to hard or soft step to get your desired result. After initially trying mine straight in I decided to soft step X1 and they are now sublime. 

What shaft did you play before?

in Sweden these things are expensive and hard to come by.

14 hours ago, nitram said:

X100 Tour Issue. It was a seamless transition.

They're pretty pricey here in the states as well. 

The work itself is very expensive here as well. Talking to a guy about a Miura build and he offered me the mmt125 for an additional $250

2 hours ago, MizunoMade said:

The work itself is very expensive here as well. Talking to a guy about a Miura build and he offered me the mmt125 for an additional $250

That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.