2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Aldila and Catalyst graphite shafts in Callaway irons - how do they play?

ChipNRun

I am to the point where I need and want to switch to irons with graphite shafts.

I now play GI irons with parallel tip KBS Tour 90 steel shafts, R-flex, weigh in about 95 grams. My 6i clubhead speed with them is about 78 MPH.

My distance is starting to be inconsistent, and after two days of golf my elbows tingle.

I'm looking at recent Callaway models. Here are the stock graphite shafts for each:

image.pngI have hit indoor shots with the Catalyst 65 shaft on Max, but missed trying the Adilas on the Rogues two years ago.

So, those of you who have gone graphite with Rogue, or Mav / Mav MAX irons: How do the shafts play out on the course? Any problems with ballooning shots with short irons? How stiff is Stiff flex?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: I'm scheduled for a Callaway fitting at my course on Friday.

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

You are bringing up more of the stock, lightweight graphite shafts. Keep in mind that Callaway also offers some of the the more updated, heavier graphite shafts. KBS TGI, Catalyst 80 and 100, Steelfiber 90/95/110, Recoil 95/110, etc. Generalizing, but those are the shafts many of us here would go for and prefer. I have a set of Mavrik irons that I ordered with Steelfiber 110 stiff (soft-stepped 2X). I would suggest hitting some of those better shafts, albeit with an upcharge in most instances.

And don't sleep on the TT Elevate 95, which I am currently playing in a set of PXG's. They have serious vibration dampening, and frankly feel as good as graphite to me. They are stock in many Callaway irons, and are also available in 105 and Tour. YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I got to hit some of the Mav and Mav MAX irons and woods when the test models hit the stores in February.

I turn 70 in November, and need some lighter graphite steel shafts to gain clubhead speed and cut down on vibrations. I got some OK flight with the TT Elevate, but they're steel. (Backtrack: your remark about Elevate damping is noted!)

The standard Mav irons did not launch that well, but the Mav MAX were solid. (And, despite MAX having higher lofts, I got about a club longer - and higher - with the MAX than standard). So, the MAX irons will leave me with parallel tip hosels, which limits shaft choices.OOPS, BACKTRACK! I did a double-check on the TT site, and the Catalyst 50, 60 and 80 all come in 0.370" parallel tip, and then shift to 80CW and 100CW in taper.

But with parallel, I'm concerned with ballooning in short irons and wedges. Don't know if mixing shaft weights, and softstepping the heavier in shorter clubs, would help or not.

Also, I note that the KBS TGI has arrived with a bang. Tour Edge is offering it as a stock shaft in its latest irons.

I've tried SteelFibers before (have a softstepped hybrid shaft in my 4i) but they always seem to be too firm or too light.

Thanks much. I'll let you know what happens Friday.

Ψ  Backups:

Gotcha--then by all means, demo some of those lighter shafts. I've hit some 80ish g graphite shafts that are just fine, but still prefer heavier in general. Good luck with the demo.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Is there something about the current 90 gm steel shafts that make you think they are too heavy and need to go even lighter?

Parallel hosel's don't really limit shaft choices. For custom orders, Callaway allows you to choose taper tip shafts for their parallel irons. I just gave it a try for the Mav MAX and had not problems picking any of the shafts, even the CW steelfibers.

If you want to stick to the same weight, I'd suggest trying the newer steelfiber fc90's - much softer than the i-series steel fiber so would be a much closer fit to the KBS 90's. They are also what I'm playing in my Rogue Pro irons. If not you should focus on what weight would be a good fit and how changing it might effect your swing before focusing on which model to try.

Unfortunately can't comment on the Catalyst's, no experience with them.

@Stuart_G : Is there something about the current 90 gm steel shafts that make you think they are too heavy and need to go even lighter?
Oops, I was a little off-vector on weight. Did a quick calculation, and the 101-gram raw KBS Tour 90 would trim out in the low 90s for weight.
It seems I'm losing distance on my irons. Or rather, I have good days and bad days (radically different) with my irons. Overall fit is good: the 5i is 38.25", all clubs are half-inch apart in shaft increments, and on good days I'm getting hits very close to center of face.
I turn 70 in November, and played in a two-day state senior series tournament on Wed. and Thurs. the guys I played with were about my age, and were outhitting me on iron distance. One had Recoil 460 F3 (65 grams), and the other had SF 80 in R-flex. Two days earlier, a guy with Ping G30 irons and graphite was also outhitting me. (my 7i should go 140 yds, but it seeme so be slipping)
The Recoil 460 guy asked me why I was still using steel shafts when I asked him about his graphites.
Two weeks ago I got in two half-hour range time with some consistent distance-control balls. Adjusting for lower distance, it seemed to fly OK in my medium irons, short irons somewhat iffy.
This may be a bad time to get fitted. I got some good physical therapy on hip and thigh in Jan-Feb., but when I went on my own the COVID thing hit, and the Gov. closed all gyms and I couldn't do isolation exercises on the recovering muscles. Also, I haven't played much due to real life events such as contracted home repairs.
So, I was hoping to regain some solid distance on irons. I have new TE EXS driver which has 54 gram shaft vs. Callaway with 62 gram, but EXS feels a bit head-heavy. Lots of indecision by me, I guess.

Ψ  Backups:

Understood. Just realize an increase in club head speed doesn't automatically come with the drop in weight. It is possible, but no guarantees. And there are other possibly negative ramifications with control and consistency if you end up going too light. Even if you can't get fit, it might be worth it to do some testing with a single club or see if your friend will let you test his to be sure it's going to work out before committing to a whole set.

I understand the problems of going too light. About five years ago TM came out with some 85-gram Speeder (?) steel shafts that had red trim on the labels. I tried them and was all over the place with overswinging. (I had 97 gr. shafts at time in my Callaway irons). Also, Tom Wishon has long warned golfers often go too light the first time they seriously try to lessen shaft weight.

One thing I have noticed: Some ~70 gram graphite iron shafts feel rather feathery, while others feel quite solid/balanced.

And, I'll have to checkout the SteelFiber fc90 shafts you mentioned in prior posting. I've tried the SF i80 in TM irons in 2019, but they just felt too light. I had tried the i95 in some used Bridgestones, and I didn't get very good launch or distance.

In short term, I'll probably just test out different irons and shafts, and wait until January when my real life should be less cluttered. I greatly appreciate your comments!

Ψ  Backups:

@ChipNRun said One thing I have noticed: Some ~70 gram graphite iron shafts feel rather feathery, while others feel quite solid/balanced.
Believe it or not the stiffness profile can play a role in how we feel the weight of the club, particularly in transition and through release. For a softer shaft, the feedback we get from the acceration of the club weight gets spread out over a longer period of time which can make the club seem lighter.
But then of course so does swing weight so it's good to make sure that is really equivalent as well as shaft weight when comparing different shafts.