Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120

Blaiser

Tour X and X
Anyone have some experience with these? I hit some today, in X flex, compared to some X100's and the Nippon just feels so damn smooth I can't believe it is an X.

I have heard and seen some guys talk about this shaft saying it plays a little softer than most. Has anyone hit the Tour X (Double X) and can compare it to an X100? I know the FCM is really low on these, but its supposed to have a super stiff tip.

If the flex really is what it says it is, then I am sold. Absolutely zero "boardy" feel in this shaft.

So all you shaft junkies out there....lets hear your thoughts/knowledge!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Blaiser' timestamp='1302152575' post='3128748']
Anyone have some experience with these? I hit some today, in X flex, compared to some X100's and the Nippon just feels so damn smooth I can't believe it is an X.

I have heard and seen some guys talk about this shaft saying it plays a little softer than most. Has anyone hit the Tour X (Double X) and can compare it to an X100? I know the FCM is really low on these, but its supposed to have a super stiff tip.

If the flex really is what it says it is, then I am sold. Absolutely zero "boardy" feel in this shaft.

[/quote]

The Modus3 Tour120 has a soft butt and mid section, and a very stiff tip section. This sum of these parts is that the S will play like an S, X like an X, and XX like an XX.

On a butt frequency meter, the M3 will measure softer than it plays, just like a Project X measures harder than it plays.

3step

[quote name='3step' timestamp='1302182551' post='3129268']
[quote name='Blaiser' timestamp='1302152575' post='3128748']

[/quote]

The Modus3 Tour120 has a soft butt and mid section, and a very stiff tip section. This sum of these parts is that the S will play like an S, X like an X, and XX like an XX.

On a butt frequency meter, the M3 will measure softer than it plays, just like a Project X measures harder than it plays.

3step
[/quote]

That's a good explanation. I still think if you are an X100 player you should be trying the Tour-X model. These shafts are so smooth, I'd prefer the stiffer shaft I can't overpower.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Finally have some access to Nippon product, so gave these a whirl. Just shafted up a 6 iron with the X model, not Tour X. I have been a long time Dynamic Gold X100 user, but have played with everything through the years just to gain knowledge of it (PX, KBS, DG Tour Issue, etc.)

The Modus3 shaft is really unique, and I want some more time before I make any solid statements about it, and also want to see performance into cross and head winds, as my past Nippon experiences have shown a bit too much spin.....which is GREAT for smoother swingers, lower club speeds, etc.

What I have seen so far, an amazingly smooth feel, almost butter soft through impact, definitely not the Dynamic Gold X100 crisp that I am used to. I am not saying that is bad or good, just how it feels to me. My initial thought was could it feel too smooth / too soft through impact?....not sure yet. To me, Project X and for that matter KBS was always a feel I didn't much care for, keep in mind, some form of Dynamic Gold used for most of my life, so really accustomed to that feel. Modus3 seems like it'll be a good option more so for Dynamic Gold users than PX and KBS users, unless you adapt easily to different feels.

The Modus3 construction is unique, as the step pattern ends high up closer to the grip, and the longish tip section has a large OD wall to it, that gives it a unique look. Guessing the larger OD tip section helps the stability some.....hopefully proves to keep spin in check.

Can't wait to get more time in with them, as I am thinking maybe the Tour X will get a try soon, but not in a hurry personally as I am plenty happy with DG X100's. I do however have the Modus3 in mind for a few locals, think they will be quite pleased.

[quote name='dlefty' timestamp='1302228364' post='3131474']
Finally have some access to Nippon product, so gave these a whirl. Just shafted up a 6 iron with the X model, not Tour X. I have been a long time Dynamic Gold X100 user, but have played with everything through the years just to gain knowledge of it (PX, KBS, DG Tour Issue, etc.)

The Modus3 shaft is really unique, and I want some more time before I make any solid statements about it, and also want to see performance into cross and head winds, as my past Nippon experiences have shown a bit too much spin.....which is GREAT for smoother swingers, lower club speeds, etc.

What I have seen so far, an amazingly smooth feel, almost butter soft through impact, definitely not the Dynamic Gold X100 crisp that I am used to. I am not saying that is bad or good, just how it feels to me. My initial thought was could it feel too smooth / too soft through impact?....not sure yet. To me, Project X and for that matter KBS was always a feel I didn't much care for, keep in mind, some form of Dynamic Gold used for most of my life, so really accustomed to that feel. Modus3 seems like it'll be a good option more so for Dynamic Gold users than PX and KBS users, unless you adapt easily to different feels.

The Modus3 construction is unique, as the step pattern ends high up closer to the grip, and the longish tip section has a large OD wall to it, that gives it a unique look. Guessing the larger OD tip section helps the stability some.....hopefully proves to keep spin in check.

Can't wait to get more time in with them, as I am thinking maybe the Tour X will get a try soon, but not in a hurry personally as I am plenty happy with DG X100's. I do however have the Modus3 in mind for a few locals, think they will be quite pleased.
[/quote]
Thanks for your review.I too am intrigued by this new Nippon offering. Have you ever tried the DG Tour X7?

I also have been a DG X user for many years.Have tried PX and KBS and not a fan of those. I currently play the Nippon Blues and for most part very happy.Thinking of trying these new offerings.

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1302230380' post='3131650']

[/quote]
Thanks for your review.I too am intrigued by this new Nippon offering. Have you ever tried the DG Tour X7?

I also have been a DG X user for many years.Have tried PX and KBS and not a fan of those. I currently play the Nippon Blues and for most part very happy.Thinking of trying these new offerings.
[/quote]

Thanks for your input. I would LOVE to hear what you think about them after some more testing. If there is any chance you could mess around with the Tour X (XX) that would be wonderful to hear. I am thinking about getting a shaft that is slightly stiffer than the X100, and so if the Tour X is what it says it is and is stiffer than the X100, I would like to know. And BigLefty...I am also thinking about the DG X7. If you get some good info on them let me know!

[quote name='Blaiser' timestamp='1302236027' post='3131966']
[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1302230380' post='3131650']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for your input. I would LOVE to hear what you think about them after some more testing. If there is any chance you could mess around with the Tour X (XX) that would be wonderful to hear. I am thinking about getting a shaft that is slightly stiffer than the X100, and so if the Tour X is what it says it is and is stiffer than the X100, I would like to know. And BigLefty...I am also thinking about the DG X7. If you get some good info on them let me know!
[/quote]
I have hit the Dg tour X7 shaft.Had it in my 5 iron for a few months and liked it very much.I couldn't tell if I was hitting the Nippon blue or DG.Both felt and played similar .I'm still unsure if I made a mistake by not choosing the X7's

• 5 years later...

I love the 120x. It feels soft and smooth but doesn't play like it.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

• 6 months later...

Trying out a set of 120x right now against my C Taper 120s. I have soft stepped a 7 iron and so far really like the feel compared to the CT. It might be the heavier head feel, but they just seem easier to swing. I really feel like I have to swing with the CTs and don't feel like the shaft loads at any point. Feel the load in the 120x. Haven't really had a chance to judge spin, but so far I'm liking what I see/feel.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Any feedback for this shaft in stiff flex anyone?

Thanks

I went from PX to Modus 120. 5.5 to stiff was perfect. These have made a huge difference in my game. I get a slightly higher flight, but no ballooning. The feel is great. With that said...a buddy of mine tried them coming from DG and HATED them. They really need to be tried before a decision.

• 9 months later...

Just received my 718 AP3’s with stock DG S300 shafts and hit them OK but want to look at options.

7 iron carry is usually 160 and have been told my swing at 56 is still very aggressive and usually past parallel. My avg driver distance is 285-300 and currently loving my TM M1 Ryder Cup USA with the Fuji Tour Spec 661 Evo 2 in Stiff.

I also have a second set of irons Ping i200 with black nickel KBS Tour 120 shafts and like them. I have a very high ball flight even with the S300’s and would like to reduce it as I live in windy FL.

Questions:

1- If I we’re to look at any of the Nippon Pro Modus3 shafts such as 120 or 130, would I need a stiff or X? I also like a shaft in the 115-125 gram range because of my quick tempo. Light shafts make me swing harder and lose control so I think the 105’s are out.

2- Also thought to look at KBS C tapers as they have a lower flight.

Look forward to your opinions.

Just received my 718 AP3’s with stock DG S300 shafts and hit them OK but want to look at options.

7 iron carry is usually 160 and have been told my swing at 56 is still very aggressive and usually past parallel. My avg driver distance is 285-300 and currently loving my TM M1 Ryder Cup USA with the Fuji Tour Spec 661 Evo 2 in Stiff.

I also have a second set of irons Ping i200 with black nickel KBS Tour 120 shafts and like them. I have a very high ball flight even with the S300’s and would like to reduce it as I live in windy FL.

Questions:

1- If I we’re to look at any of the Nippon Pro Modus3 shafts such as 120 or 130, would I need a stiff or X? I also like a shaft in the 115-125 gram range because of my quick tempo. Light shafts make me swing harder and lose control so I think the 105’s are out.

Ok, something doesnt make sense.....if you hit a driver 280, there is almost no way you 7 iron only goes 160. If your 7 iron is 160 then you driver is more than likely in the 250 - 260 range. So something is off either your irons have to be the worst fit ever, or they are stamped off by two clubs, or made in the 1940’s.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Yes as I am trying to control my irons so they are consistent, something they are not today. Hit the AP3’s at Golf Galaxy and the 7 iron was going between 160- 185 but I felt the inconsistency was more due to some error on the set up at Golf Galaxy. Not sure if it’s due to the shaft or just the swing that day and why I am asking if I should move to a stronger shaft.

Questions:

Ok, something doesnt make sense.....if you hit a driver 280, there is almost no way you 7 iron only goes 160. If your 7 iron is 160 then you driver is more than likely in the 250 - 260 range. So something is off either your irons have to be the worst fit ever, or they are stamped off by two clubs, or made in the 1940’s.

I fit in this category. Almost exactly.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Yes as I am trying to control my irons so they are consistent, something they are not today. Hit the AP3’s at Golf Galaxy and the 7 iron was going between 160- 185 but I felt the inconsistency was more due to some error on the set up at Golf Galaxy. Not sure if it’s due to the shaft or just the swing that day and why I am asking if I should move to a stronger shaft.

I have been on two outdoor Trackman systems and one Flightscope in the last month. My swing speed is 115-118, my average carry is in the mid 280's. I hit a 7 iron with a normal swing 192, I can swing hard and play a draw and get more or play a cut and get a little less. These are numbers verified with Trackman and flightscope.

I play X tipped in my driver, fairways and driving iron. My irons themselves I play a X soft stepped in most shafts. I have a hard transition. The numbers at most golf shots are crap, and hitting off a mat gives different numbers as well. Get to a course on a warm day, drop some 7 irons(Preferably when the course is somewhat empty). At your driving distance, you should hit a relatively new set of irons(as in modern lofts) in the 175-185 range. See how far you hit your current 7 iron, using a range finder and 3 balls at least three different occasions. One on around the third hole, one around 10, and one around 16, Note your discrepancies and misses. Exclude hugely fat shots or just horrible outliers. Take this 7 iron to a store and see what it says and the change in distances. Apply this knowledge to a new set, try every shaft and head combo. Find your best numbers with what shaft and what head. Then either get those clubs, or use that knowledge to find a shaft for your current irons. If it is down to a couple order one and try them your self. It won't be exact because I have yet to see a person get the same numbers off of a mat as they do from grass(even on outdoor fittings)

I can easily play 110 to 130 gram iron shafts, I play 110 in Recoils and 130 in Nippon. I play an X soft stepped in the recoils and straight in X in the Nippons. Without seeing your swing and good numbers from those swings it will be hard for anyone to make a solid recommendation.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 2 years later...

I know - old thread. Thought best to ask question here than on new thread.

I have used Modus 120 S taper tip and love them.

Thinking of putting them in my Apex Pro Combos which are parallel (370).

Anyone know the playing difference between the 120 in 370 versus 355?

Seems 120 .370 stiff are sold at discrete lengths for each club and all are listed at 114 gm. So, wondering if 120s in parallel will be constant weight rather than decreasing as w most parallel shafts. Anyone know?

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

I received a response from Nippon USA to my above questions.

“Correct, N.S.PRO MODUS³ Tour 120 .370” is a constant weight, discrete model and should not feel and/or perform differently to the N.S.PRO MODUS³ Tour 120 .355 version.”

Really appreciate Nippon built the 370s this way.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to move on from my old, trusty DGS300's in my next set of irons.  Getting a bit older and starting to feel it in my fingers, elbows, etc.  Would anyone recommend the 120 as a good alternative?

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

5 minutes ago, lazyjc4 said:

I'm looking to move on from my old, trusty DGS300's in my next set of irons.  Getting a bit older and starting to feel it in my fingers, elbows, etc.  Would anyone recommend the 120 as a good alternative?

In a word, no. At least not for me. I’m actually pulling my 120 x’s this weekend because my elbows can’t take it anymore. I can hit Driver and 3 wood all day and not have any issues, but as soon as I go to the range and hit irons, my elbows are a mess for days after. I should note that I’ve also got foam inserts in my Modus 120’s and this is still occurring. 

2 hours ago, Taylormadehunter1 said:

In a word, no. At least not for me. I’m actually pulling my 120 x’s this weekend because my elbows can’t take it anymore. I can hit Driver and 3 wood all day and not have any issues, but as soon as I go to the range and hit irons, my elbows are a mess for days after. I should note that I’ve also got foam inserts in my Modus 120’s and this is still occurring. 

Figured as much, thanks for the verification. 

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI