Are there ANY free agents that use PXG?

leftycabe

I completely agree, the point being he didn't run from PXG, just like he didn't run from Ping when he went there initially. If anyone ran from a brand it might have been Justin Rose from Honma.@mjbaker80 Perez's bag is full PXG as of the Heritage, playing their new Proto driver, unless he has switched to the SIM since then.

I'm always surprised that people play or buy certain clubs because of who plays them or who doesn't. I just don't get it, who cares. I play PXG's and love them, was first drawn to them buy the looks. TO ME they are the best looking iron out and play even better. But I will say again, that's TO ME. Don't care what others think about them just like I don't care what's in the bags of the people I play with.

All of the OEM's make good clubs so just pick what appeals to you and play them. None are significantly better or worse than the others, just different.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

You missed the point of the entire thread. It is not about playing something because someone else does. It is a simple discussion about whether or not tour professionals play them out of contract. That’s a typical indicator of preference and perceived value/quality.

That’s great that you like your clubs, but the thread isn’t about whether or not people like PXG as a brand or their clubs.

I’m not certain, but Perez was just at my home track here in MN and it was a SIM w VENTUS Black.....

again, not trying to be a hater here. My PXG hybrid is one of the longest standing clubs in my bag. But, from a guy who follows gear usage on tour, I haven’t seen anyone excel with PXG. Admittedly, tons of LPGA players have done really well with them.

They’re very solid golf clubs. I don’t think they’re superior. And, to the point of this thread, I can’t think of any FAs using PXG.

FYi. Titleist is doing more than "some play" they have led the Driver count all but just a couple weeks for the past year. And actually have swept all categories in one week somethijg like 15 times over the year as well.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I am not sure why it should surprise you. Most people make major purchase at least in part by referral. I don't have the patience or bandwidth to properly test and evaluate every club option, so I have to narrow down my search somehow. Admittedly I pay more attention to what my club pro plays rather than a tour pro.

And If we are getting really real, I 'committed' to one brand a while back - just found it easier than messing around with everything on the market. If that brand does not offer something I like then I ask around with players who have similar games and try out what been good for them if something is is doing well on tour it may play a very tiny bit of influence .

That is a good guess as it's more of a status symbol as it's no one else's business how people spend their money. Give me a free set of PXG irons or the PING G710's, TM P790 Ti, or Mizuno and I will compare them. I bet if the opportunity was ever given to people who want a free set irons PXG wouldn't be the set of choice. I would clearly look at some JDM equipment if money were no object. It's more of a status symbol not different than why people will drive expensive cars or wear expensive watches etc. It's also funny how PXG has slowly drifting away from all the 9 screws to the 0211's and even talking abut some blade coming out. Hype does a lot to sell but proven fact goes even farther.

The fact is No Major's and many big names jumping ship from PXG, go figure for yourself. The other fact is those big names are paid big money to play their equipment so look at the amateur's or PGA players who don't have contracts and what do they play. So go get yourself properly fit and that is one big area where PXG shines but you can get fitted at so many other places free. To fly out to get fitted for a set of PXG's is one expensive vacation for a very expensive set of irons. For people who have that kind of money that would be an awesome experience I'm sure of. The sad Truth of the whole conversation is they are not the Holy Grail of the Golf world as many pretend that they are.

I'm only ranting on because I have a chance to go over board in making a decision to get the perfect set for me....not you but me as all the other are every bit as good so no slamming on other brands as my decision wasn't all that easy for I really loved my last set I had but now this is my retirement set and no names but I want to PLAY my BEST! Good luck in your decision.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Bob doesn't care about touring pros playing them. He knows they are a losing money business for him and he loses even more shelling out huge bucks for club contracts. Is think ZJ still plays them as he has known Bob since he scrubbed his clubs as a kid. PXG isn't after the wannabe touring pro or IG pro but middle to older aged gentlemen who have excess cash to play them. They also are the guys with the boats, planes Harleys etc and that is who he is after and the pretty women golfers.

My opinion on PXG (irons specifically) is simple. Do I think they have significantly better performance compared to the other similar clubs out there?....no not necessarily. However, I personally really like the utilitarian look, the amazing feel, and of course the performance is just as good if not better for what I’m looking for with the PXGs (Gen3). I’m coming from the Callaway Apex 19/Pro combo set and they wonderful clubs. I simply prefer the looks of the PXGs, believe they are slightly more forgiving than the Apex, and the feel is much better for me. I don’t think PXG will ever catch on much with tour players because they are typically looking for something different in an iron than I am, and they also won’t be a major player for the average consumer because of price. I’m paying a significant premium for looks and feel basically, although I tend to overdraw (my miss) my Apex combo set much more than the PXGs. I’ll also note that I’ve hit Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3 and the first two generations definitely did not perform better than my gamers at the time and I passed on those. That all changed with the Gen 3. There was/is a difference across the board for me.

Not sure what she did to get fired but it was abrupt. He ia cool with women who are hot and IG influencers. He is not interested in the local mini tour player who is playing them and constantly asking for new stuff for free.. The guys that play PXG are the ones who play golf with him. If you notice ZJ(Iowa), PP(AZ andprobably his best PGA tour friend), Moore(gamed them first because he was one of the first to go no contract), James Hahn(Scottsdale), Dahmen(Scottsdale), Clark(Scottsdale). Just like joining Scottsdale National, you need to have a relationship with Bob and have him invite you to play them. His Harley shop right by PXG is ran as a non profit and it is one of the biggest ones around.

What?

PXG 0311 Tour-1 10.5° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 49° (50°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 53° (54°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 58°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

What business becomes dominant (in a very traditional industry) where incumbents have the better part of a century of embedded brand loyalty? They are around what, maybe 5 years? And if they aren’t a predominant as Titleist in the first few years is that really a sign of a problem?

Golf is about as traditional of an industry as it gets. Give them maybe one decade.

Look how long NIKE was around and where are they now. If Bob doesn't want to shell out any more of his money for big names like NIKE did it's just going to make it harder for PXG as he more interested now in the average golfer who has the money to burn as he did have some big names but they has been more leaving than joining. Don't buy these if you think they will become dominant on tour just look how people were rushing out to buy Honma when Rose left TaylorMade. If your looking for something different very unique with high tolerances excellent quality and money to burn then look toward a nice set of JDM equipment like Epon's or Ryoma, as there are some nice equipment in that market and I wish there were more opportunity here in the States to demo their stuff.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Sneds has been hitting pxg for sometime at a local fitter. The fitter told me he wouldn't be surprised if he made the switch whenever his Bridgestone contract was up. Take that for what it's worth.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I don't think it's a bad product but it is telling that FA's don't flock to them. Anyone know when the last time a full bag or even partially sponsored player won with PXG sticks?

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, GD Tour VF 6x

3 Wood - Titleist TSR3, 15 Degree, Graphite Design AD-DI 7x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

58 Degree - SM9 Black PVD Limited, 58M, s200 

Putter - Ai-One 7CH

2023 Pro V1, testing Bridgestone Tour BX

Celine Boutier won the 2019 ISPS Handa. Celine and Anna Nordqvist were both members of the winning Solheim Cup team in 2019. Lydia Ko won the Mediheal in 2018.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Thats sad as I can see that happening. Doesn't he have any family members who would be willing to take over the business if that were to happen?

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I wonder what the disparity is from the LPGA to the PGA tour then? Seems to be a lot more success/wins on the LPGA that hasn't translated to the PGA. Could be higher level LPGA pros on staff versus middle of the pack PGA pros? I confess I'm not up to date on the LPGA so please forgive my ignorance.

One example that sticks out to me is the solid golf Zach Johnson was playing up until he switched over and since then, nothing of note. Heck, Kokrak was playing lights out and has fallen off the map since his full switch as well. Makes zero sense to me.

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, GD Tour VF 6x

3 Wood - Titleist TSR3, 15 Degree, Graphite Design AD-DI 7x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

58 Degree - SM9 Black PVD Limited, 58M, s200 

Putter - Ai-One 7CH

2023 Pro V1, testing Bridgestone Tour BX

I attribute it to the simple fact that the major brands pay a decent amount to sponsored male professionals. My understanding is that PXG doesn't do that. Since there are far fewer equipment deals available on the LPGA, the players have more leeway in selecting clubs. I have a hunch that PXG gives their clubs away to any player who wants them, so you see more (non-sponsored) players with a handful of clubs in their bags.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Where did i say the part you "quoted" from me about Titleist? Also do you have the driver count from each tourney this year? Would love to see those numbers.

On another note when players go free agent they typically go with TM woods as they get a nice check plus good equipment. Hard to argue as they are being paid to play golf and are there to make money.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

LOL...You didn't I was going to tag on your comment about the 15-20 handicappers hitting close to home with a smiley face. Then I got distracted and forgot to finish the post, it saved in my quote box or something when I went to reply to the guy who said Titleist is getting "some play" in drivers. I have the numbers on a week to week basis, but not as a whole, I can put them together to share with you in the next day or so when I have time.

Sorry for the misquote !

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2020 at 7:18 PM, Nixhex524 said:

Doesnt Ryan Armour play PXG irons? I'm pretty sure hes got a mixed bag or had one, at least. They make great irons, as good as anything else, which is why I can't justify spending the asking price personally... but don't blame anyone else for doing so!

PXG = JUNK.  ESPECIALLY the irons.  They go far and have serious hotspots, that’s about the kindest thing I can say about them 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, EricSpaulding137 said:

PXG = JUNK.  ESPECIALLY the irons.  They go far and have serious hotspots, that’s about the kindest thing I can say about them 

Well, thanks for chiming in. 

Agree to disagree that they are "JUNK", but will admit I noticed some "fliers" when I had the Gen 1 0311T.  

Which models of PXG irons have you played consistently?  Would love to hear more as to why you seem to be bothered by PXG irons so much.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"