Pebble weekend trip - August 2020

I am reaching a milestone birthday in a couple of weeks and being Scottish, stuck in USA right now I was thinking a four day trip to Pebble. Originally I would have been in Scotland for 5 weeks playing about 20 rounds at Royal Aberdeen, a couple at Cruden Bay, The Old Course and Royal Dornoch but can't travel home for now.

So Pebble have lots of time available for single to play.

It would be a 4 day trip leave Texas on the Thursday night and return on the Sunday evening.

It would me and my wife(non golfer) we were thinking staying at the resort hotels for 2 or 3 nights playing Pebble myself while wife spas then the same the next day at another course up there.

Advises please? never done a US proper golf trip before! to me Pebble is the US St Andrews.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are bringing the wife along Pebble is a good choice but Bandon is really more the US St Andrews.

That said, in addition to Pebble and Spyglass, I would try to get out to Poppy Hills since it's right there on 17 Mile Drive. For a day trip head up to Pasatiempo.

As far as Pebble specific advice goes, get a caddie, and if you're going to miss a green for the most part the miss is short.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Hmmm maybe but I kind of meant that if you play one course then Pebble is it.

I will just be playing two rounds - Pebble and another? which other I really have no idea.

Thanks for the last bit, never even thought about a caddie, its funny its one of those courses on tv that you see so much that you think you know the course already!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

If you want to stay at the Pebble Resorts Id say Spyglass Hill would be my pick for a second course there. But if you want a great golf course in that general area I’d drive up to Santa Cruz and play Pasatiempo. It’s an outstanding Alister Mackenzie course with some of the coolest green complexes you’ll see. You can’t really go wrong with golf up that way. Monterey is a beautiful area of the US with great golf!

Three of the resort courses are good, Pebble, Spyglass (my fav), and Spanish Bay. If you’re flying into SF or San Jose I HIGHLY recommend Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz. Its a MacKenzie gem. In fact he lived off #6 until his death. It’s the best course of them all in my opinion, and I’m my top 5 anywhere in the world. If you can’t make Pasa, the Bayonet and Blackhorse courses on the old Ft. Ord army base are great too.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

If you are only playing two at the resort then Pebble and Spyglass are the ones to go with.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I would pick Spyglass for the 2d course (or as others have said, Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz or the improved Poppy Hills are very good.). Don’t like Spanish Bay.

You may not need a caddie, because PB is an easy walk, with the next tee close to the last green. Since the greens are quite small, reading them is not onerous.

Wife has called and chatted to them, seems everything we need is but will need to confirm prior to booking.Ahhh so you are there right now, interesting, I was wanting to head there later in the year but wife would prefer the weather right now and its a break from the Texas heat. Are you playing anywhere else?

Wife would not come near the course, she will do a spa thing...

And to everyone else that has been good enough to reply - seems Spyglass it is then.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Here's my suggestion if you're going to stay for 2 - 3 nights at the resort and play Pebble. I would consider getting an NCGA membership through the E Club of Monterey Bay for $79. Currently if you're an NCGA member Pebble Beach Resorts is having a special for the entire month of August for both golf and resort rooms. I would call the resort first to inquire if they have tee times available for the dates and time that you want and also room availability for NCGA members

The special which is subject to availability and blackout dates would be to play both Pebble and Sypglass for $805 compared to $990 for resort guests. But you would also be able to stay at the Inn At Spanish Bay with rooms starting at $350 for a garden view compared to normal rates starting at $860 or The Lodge starting at $450 compared to normal rates starting at $980 for a garden view. Others may not agree but personally my wife and I prefer to stay at Spanish Bay which we've done many times. Spanish Bay is very quiet and you can still sit outside at the fire pits and have cocktails and of course every evening there's the bag piper who will be playing. The resort restaurants are either offering dining outside or some are closed. My wife and I recently drove down for the day to have lunch at Roy's and we sat outside and it was a nice sunny day and even if it gets windy the outside are is protected by a glass windows surrounding the outside patio. Not always but August through October usually have the best weather on the Monterey Peninsula.

By the way have a great birthday!

I went out to Pebble last year with the wife as an add on to a Napa trip.

if you’re playing as a single, you probably don’t need an advance tee time and you don’t need to stay at the resort (which is good since it’s insanely expensive). Call the day before (Pretty sure it was 24 hours out they allow non resort booking, you may want to double check) and you can get a tee time fairly easily as a single. Since you will be there more than one day you’ll have a few opportunities to do this.

you can stay in Carmel or Monterey (we stayed in Monterey and it was great).

its a special place, have fun!

Pebble Beach is 24 hours in advance for tee times if not staying at the resort. Spyglass Hill is 3 months in advance and Spanish Bay is 6 months (I would probably skip this course). I would obviously play Pebble Beach. I would recommend playing Spyglass Hill. Within the 17 mile drive I would recommend Poppy Hills (really enjoyed it). If you have connections the 3 private courses within 17 mile drive are highly recommended. I was not able to get onto Cypress Point but the ratings speak for itself. Pacific Grove is a decent little course if you are on a budget. Front 9 is nothing to write home about, but the back nine is pretty awesome. If flying into San Jose of San Francisco you need to play Pasatiempo. Great course with difficult greens!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Since Pebble re-opened for golf during COVID19 they've waived the rule that you have to stay on property and you can make tee times in advance. I know several guys that have done this without staying on property and I also called someone that I know in the Pebble pro shop today and they verified what I said.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Some things being closed may make or break our trip, don't want the wife be bored why I golf or me feel bad I have to rush for her. Going to call this afternoon and see what they are saying; plan is to do the trip August or September still.

right now -

Fly to arrive Thursday 9.30 am at San Fran

Stay another hotel in Carmel area Thursday

Friday morning golf at Pebble

Friday stay at resort

Saturday morning play Spyglass

Saturday may or may not stay at the resort

Sunday chilled day Carmel area

Sunday stay outwith resort.

Monday fly back to Texas.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

My buddy and I did this trip for his 60th birthday in 2018. Your itinerary is very similar to ours and we had a great time. Played Pebble and Spyglass and stayed at the PB Resort. There are several threads you can search for recommendations so the only one I’ll give is don’t stress about the cost. It’s a bucket list trip for most of us and worrying over the price of a round or a steak (within reason of course) only detracts from a wonderful experience. Enjoy your birthday trip as the memory will last.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

From someone who lives here - if the prices don’t change too much (there are NCGA and Dukes Club specials floating around right now - I’m playing Pebble and Spanish bay for $490 total this month on a Dukes August special), then September is a better bet than August. The fog has been brutal this summer and it is usually gone by early-mid sept (this is the best time of year - clear skies, rarely too much wind and upper60s/low 70s). Morning fog is worst at Spyglass, but there is a trade off between fog and pace of play - it can be a little quicker in the morning, but you risk a damp round. In my opinion the best bet is an afternoon, guaranteed to finish tee time (in sept, you probably don’t want to tee off after 2pm on Pebble - it can be a close to 6h round on a bad day).

I posted the current NCGA August deals earlier in this thread. The Duke's special for August is a really good deal especially the one that you're doing. The one thing about Duke's that I didn't care for was when the new VP John eliminated the dining deals at the Pebble Resorts in 2019 and just included Del Monte Grill and Knuckles for dining discounts.

And del Monte has been closed since March with no signs of it reopening, and with that the only affordable regular green fee has gone, and as far as I know they are no longer offering the twilight dukes rates at Spy and Spanish (though this may have changed - I haven’t checked recently). And Peter Hay has been closed for 18 months so the passes for that are gone. And they have put up the green fees at a Spy and Spanish. It is still worth it if you get one membership between 4 of you for a multi-day trip, but the year-round benefits are massively reduced.

I emailed Neil the head pro at Del Monte awhile ago and originally they were targeting August 1st to re-open, obviously that didn't happen. I still have a free round at Del Monte with a free round for a friend too. I also have lots of discount passes for friends at Del Monte. I didn't know that they were no longer offering the twilight rates. I still have lots of passes for Peter Hay and I see that Tigers doing the re-design. Do ever golf at Monterey Pines?

Pines has been closed as well, so the only affordable golf has been at PG muni and Laguna Seca, and as a result these have been jam packed from dawn to dusk. Bayonet/Black Horse put up their twilight rates and it is rammed as well. I used to duck out after work and play Pines or PG for under $20 and get through 14-15 holes easily in about 2h, but now you can't play 9 in under 2h anywhere.

There are so many wonderful places to stay on the Monterey Peninsula and we've stayed at many of them including Spanish Bay

If you want a water view room there's the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa although I don't know what they're doing about parking because they valet and park your car in a garage. I know that at Pebble and Spanish Bay there's no parking valet for the time being.

There are lots of good ones in Carmel although I noticed that when my wife and I were down there recently Ocean street was packed with people and no social distancing.

Carmel Valley has four that we've stayed at Quail Lodge, very nice rooms that were remodeled a few years ago. If we stay at Quail we get a Premiere King room which they call a cottage with no one above you and we ask to face the 14th fairway. The rates are really good Sunday - Thursday and no resort fees. Quail also has a difficult 9 hole putting green between some of the buildings and the golf course has always been in excellent condition when I've played it.

Bernardus Lodge & Spa is really nice and they have an excellent restaurant on the property.

Carmel Valley Ranch on hundreds of acres and you have to drive your car to your room and the rooms are really nice with great views. I enjoy the golf course too and the elevation changes.

Stonepine Estates is really different as during the drive down the long driveway you'll see horses and all of the rooms are really something to see.

Carmel Valley is usually warmer than Monterey or Pebble Beach

If you like pastries try Parker Lusseau Pastries in Monterey or Paris Bakery Cafe

Again that you everyone for the reply, we decided not to go in August as going o head to San Antonio for the weekend instead.
September looks very likely, thank you again @aloha b. for the heads up about those dates, maybe the week after will be great then with conditions being perfect.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400