2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

TXG Bracket results: How fast is the Mavrik!?

jadedennill

Yeah I just saw this, the Mavrik line is great, but if you struggle for contact consistency, it is not great. The SZ mavrik is even worse. The Mav Max is a hook machine when I tried it.

You know I used to give Rick Shiels crap about how he picked his bag, and finally he has decided that consistency over length is how he was gonna choose his driver this year. He even took the finalists on the course, vs. playing simulator and he ended up choosing the Speedzone Extreme.

Hey I get it, I tried the SIM, Mav SZ and others. I thought that the length with the SIM I could get dialed in on the consistency. That was a big NO for me dog. So I am going back and looking at the SIM Max and Speedzone Extreme and the Ping LST.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I think it just shows that golf is not played on a launch monitor.

Once your outside and have to hit a target you tighten up, or get short, or whatever. Your swing is not the same. You also cannot edit out 25% of your swings. I found it interesting that he was much slower, with tons more spin outside. 164 ball speeds and spin over 3000 with the driver.

It is not so much about the club.

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

That high spin drive was with the Ping and was a fade. They didn’t show the numbers for the hooks with the Mavrik.

I think TXG is awesome and the GCQuad is IMO the best all round LM, but IMO Foresight's juiced distance on low spin driver shots leads to terrible driver fittings.

Foresight users think they are giving up way more distance than they really are on their good shots by going from say 2000-2100 RPM to 2500-2600. Matt’s miss is off the toe and then that 2100 can quickly become 1300-1500 and dive into the bush. The higher spin driver would still spin close to 2K off the toe and wouldn’t punish him nearly as much. I bet he would swing much more freely and faster on course with a more forgiving setup.

Another classic example of this is Rick Shiels. His ideal numbers chart in his reviews is 2000 to 2250 RPM. Not nearly enough for someone whose miss is a hook and he misses plenty of the planet left on the course (way more than someone of his ability should and it’s just silly driver fitting IMO)

• Like 2

I agree. It all just goes back to my point that gold is not played on a launch monitor. And you can’t edit out the shots you don’t like.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

ive played all 3 of those drivers and I gotta say, surprisingly, the Xtreme has blown me away....I still gravitate towards the SIM Max bc Im a big TM fan and get the new line every year. it looks better, sounds better, feels better... but the Xtreme performs better for me

hands down the most forgiving and playable driver ive ever used. Shaft choice with the Xtreme is key tho bc ive seen plenty of peoples opinions saying it launches too high or spins too much. Ive found it takes away the sub 2000 knuckle ball. I have a Ventus Black in it right now and its extremely accurate.

I didnt give the g410 LST enough of a chance. bought it with the stock 75g even flow black shaft that doesnt suit me at all. Both the Max and Xtreme ive tried multiple shafts dialing it in but I would not be surprised one bit if I gave the same attention to the LST that it would perform equally if not even better

oh and started the year with the Mav SZ...sold in 2 weeks

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Here’s how bad I am: I almost always keep a Ping driver around as the baseline to test against any other driver. The reason is it seems to always be among the easiest to keep in play so it is the one the others have to beat. Also, the Ping LST heads seem to produce fewer wayward shots for me vs other low-spin heads. I could hit the Rogue SZ far, but accuracy was less consistent.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I think we all knew the standard Mavrik was going to be a bad fit LM dream. Their numbers on course don't even touch the numbers we consistently see in their studio. As Quig has pointed out, golf isn't played on a launch monitor, real life is what matters and their playing on course kind of exposed that reality is vastly different to all of their viewers...

I just watched the video again and find it interesting how many shots they cut out.. Ian would hit off a par three miss king then the cut to that ball or Matt would hit them cut to his ball. Do they not want us to see them spray it like normal people?

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

My biggest take from the video is that I am far better at golf than I thought I was.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Maybe. They are solid single digit handicaps from what I can tell. -1 through 9 holes in a two man scramble is not going to win you many events.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

My miss is on the toe with a closed club face as well. I can tell you, for me twist face helps. I know for some that have a toe miss with an open or square face that twist face is actually worse. But if I am fitting someone who misses on the toe with a closed face i am putting them in a Sim first.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

before all the bashing of SIM -- should realize that if you cut the driver down about an inch, ya'll would hit it better. 45.75" for a stock length is wayy too long. with the right shaft it's a beast.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Well, not really. Was just interesting to see the progression of the indoor "fit" to today and to see that he's not playing the driver that won the bracket...

I do still think they can tweak how the bracket winner is decided because the "clear" winner of the bracket is a "clear" dud on the course but you could tell that was going to happen based on the dud shots they pulled out of the indoor test.

I wonder what his outdoor driving would look like with cobra sz extreme or sim max...or sim, with it's heel/toe CoG adjustability.

• Like 1

A few years back I was 3-4 mph ball speed Higher with the Callaway XR16 driver than the rest of the offerings, but least consistent as well. What good is 10-15 more yards if it’s in the rough? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I ended up with a Ping G30 ls tec because it was tightest dispersion, but shorter than the XR 16 and the TM M1.

some clubs just work for individuals better than others. I don’t get along with Callaway Drivers at all, but love their Hybrids. I liked the Epic Flash SZ better than the Maverik personally.

Up until the SIM, I didn’t care for many TM drivers either. I have played Titleist, Titleist Cleveland, Nike, Titleist, Ping, and Ping, over the past few years, so I’m not sold on a particular brand, just results. The only major manufacturer I haven’t bagged in 30 years of golf is Taylormade....... not once. That could change in a few years though, if they keep putting out more drivers like the SIM!

My bag is a mix of Ping, Adams, Callaway, Titleist, and Mizuno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to each their own I guess!

To be fair to them, I don't doubt that they are both legit scratches (as they say they are) although the editing definitely makes it look like they could be on Tour. If you look at the shot counter, Matt will sometimes nuke say 5 consecutive 3 woods with 165 BS and hit them straight. Show me a 5 handicap that can do that, even indoors on a sim.

I just think they fit borderline/unstable drivers due to Foresight's low spin distance calculation "bug" (or "optimism" if I'm charitable). If they're not swinging at their best on course then driver is all over the show, which then makes their iron play look worse than it is because they're playing out of the gunch. Looks like they played much better in the second part of their Vlog.

I would love to see Matt fitted into a fade biased driver that launched 11-12 degrees at 2500-2600 RPM. Something like a G410 plus (not LST) 10.5, maybe lofted down to 9.5 with the weight in the fade position and/or flat lie angle. GCQuad would go "Reeeeeeeeee" and say he's losing 25 yards but I bet real life would be so much better.

• Like 1

No.

I personally have no idea how anyone can hit the Mavrik without adding some heft to the head weight. It feels like there is nothing on the end of the shaft on the standard or subzero versions.

It sounds better than the Epic Flash, but not sure performance wise the Mavrik is an actual improvement.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Agree with everything especially the problems GCQuad has with high speed/low spin shots. During the driver bracket Matt was essentially hitting the same low spin duck hooks that he was hitting in the recent scramble video but the GCQuad was reading them as high draw bombs. He may swing slightly different and/or slower outside but most of those shots on the GCQuad in the bracket would be unplayable outside regardless.

On a related note the swing changes hes working on (and the crap Larry had him doing) look terrible. He's so laid off and toe up that he better have perfect face timing or he won't even be able to hit a green with a wedge. Ian is way more consistent because his upright swing keeps his club face square much longer through impact.

Sub zero driver paired with a toe miss (like Matt has) is a bad combo. Just a bunch of 1300 rpm duck hooks. I had the same prob. Had to get rid of my sub zero driver for just that reason.

get something thAt is low spin (2200-2300 at Matt’s speed) out the middle and can still retain some of that spin out the toe to keep it in the air.

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I did a fitting at a demo day. Tried 3-4 different shafts, tried the standard, the sub zero and max heads. Couldn't beat my 2014 Cobra BioCell. So frustrating because I really want to get a new driver (and I already have Epic Flash 3W/5W in the evenflow shaft that I really like). The main problem I was having was that I was leaving everything out to the right. Picking up a couple mph's in ball speed is nice but was cancelled out by being off line. I think it was just my swing or my familiarity with the BioCell (and ability to get it on line). The search will continue.

I'm 100% sure I've heard Matt say that the lowest he's ever been was a 2 handicap. Hasn't made scratch (unless he just did within the past 6 months).

It's crazy because I'm that 5 handicap that you refer to. And no I can't rip a bunch of 3 woods off the deck hitting straight bombs where you're throwing a blanket over them. But I can hit 5 in a row that are all between 240-255, a few left and a few right, with none off the fairway by more than 5 yards. I watch Matt's driver fitting videos and it seems he's playing a completely different game than me and my paltry 270 drives (maybe hit an occasional one in the 290's if it's down hill and the fairways are hard - LOL). To watch those videos I'd think he's close to 10-15 shots better than me. I think his upside is way higher than mine, but his downside (due to being offline) is much more "average". I can play 18 holes with one golf ball (sometimes/often). I think that alone might be what keeps me within 3-5 shots of a player with his ballstriking ability.